Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Hate to be this guy tomarrow
Starscream 08:29 PM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
Maybe it's just the conspiracy theorist in me, but I think some of this gets done intentionally. Why? Because it'll get linked on cigar boards and draw more people to their site.
You may be right. :-)

I'm thinking someone got pissed off at him and placed the order in his account.
[Reply]
forgop 08:32 PM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
You may be right. :-)

I'm thinking someone got pissed off at him and placed the order in his account.
How many people on message boards have linked and viewed cigarauctioneer or cigarbid because of outrageous bids? Quite a few I reckon.

There's no way a guy would be held to this bid because there's also consideration placed upon what is reasonable. I don't see them thinking they would have a snowball's chance in hell taking a guy to court for $90k for 10 cigars.
[Reply]
theoneandonly 08:53 PM 11-28-2010
Couple of issues I see with that...
1) The #4's are not torpedo, there is no point on the end

2) There is no way anyone in their right mind would pay $44,000 for five when you can spend $180 for 25 of the Fuente Don Carlos #4s.

To me, this just doesn't seem right and seems like some kind of scam.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:26 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by theoneandonly:
2) There is no way anyone in their right mind would pay $44,000 for five when you can spend $180 for 25 of the Fuente Don Carlos #4s.
But maybe only the insane are sane in an insane world.
[Reply]
dwoodward 02:47 AM 11-29-2010
Maybe it's just the conspiracy theorist in me, but I think some of this gets done intentionally. Why? Because it'll get linked on cigar boards and draw more people to their site.
That was actually my first thought when I saw the link...
[Reply]
CasaDooley 10:13 AM 11-29-2010
It's been corrected. The bid is currently at 24.01. I still like the conspiracy theory though! :-) :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:58 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by CasaDooley:
It's been corrected. The bid is currently at 24.01. I still like the conspiracy theory though! :-) :-)
Plenty of :-) to go around.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
longknocker 11:05 AM 11-29-2010
Scary!:-)
[Reply]
SNKBYT 11:53 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Scary!:-)
cue the "twilight zone" music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y
[Reply]
theoneandonly 12:03 PM 11-29-2010
Seems like someone, somewhere hacked the site and changed the bid amount. Makes me think that I would never buy anything from that site.
[Reply]
forgop 12:49 PM 11-29-2010
Seems like someone, somewhere hacked the site and changed the bid amount. Makes me think that I would never buy anything from that site.
You're not suggesting that the auction sites have users of their own that intentionally bid up items to inflate the bids or not allow them to sell for a certain amount, are you? After all, what means would we have to prove it?
[Reply]
theoneandonly 01:40 PM 11-29-2010
You're not suggesting that the auction sites have users of their own that intentionally bid up items to inflate the bids or not allow them to sell for a certain amount, are you? After all, what means would we have to prove it?
That is a possibility too. All I am saying is that I will be one who tends to shy away from buying from such sites. I have by doubts about them. Its also why I do not buy from Ebay. If it seems to good to be true, then it probably isn't true.
[Reply]
forgop 01:52 PM 11-29-2010
That is a possibility too. All I am saying is that I will be one who tends to shy away from buying from such sites. I have by doubts about them. Its also why I do not buy from Ebay. If it seems to good to be true, then it probably isn't true.
That's exactly my point-with these sites, there's no way for us to prove we have a legitimate means of tracking who is a real bidder for an item or not. The sites hold all of the cards in that regard.

With ebay, it used to be different because you were able to see the full bidder name of who was bidding on any item. Now, you don't get that luxury. In he past, you could very well link cases of someone having an extra ID to drive up bids for multiple things. Now, it's hard to do that since you only see partial names and cannot investigate this on your own. You'd have to go through ebay and have them do a shill bidding investigation. I'm sure they'd do a thorough job of looking into alleged instances, but you still never know.

At the end of the day, you just have to tell yourself the maximum price you're willing to pay with your bid and walk away should you get outbid. Unfortunately, some people almost get overwhelmed with winning that they fail to see they could get it elsewhere for less money.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up