Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Do I really want a kindle dx?
Wolfgang 11:07 PM 11-21-2010
One other thing, unless you know the exact book or author searching the kindle book store on the device is a pain. Searching on your laptop and buying them there is far more user friendly and the next time you turn your device on your recent purchases are automatically downloaded.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:42 PM 11-21-2010
An even better search engine for Kindle books on Amazon is www.jungle-search.com
[Reply]
Wolfgang 04:28 PM 11-23-2010
Whats the verdict?
[Reply]
markem 04:31 PM 11-23-2010
I got a chance to play with one and have spent a great deal of time looking at the price of eBooks. The convenience factor is high as is the low cost of certain magazines that I like to read but hate to accumulate.

Odds are good that I'll get one at this point.
[Reply]
Kreth 05:53 PM 11-23-2010
"Buy once, read anywhere." Gee, that sounds like a book... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
markem 11:44 AM 11-27-2010
Okay, finally decided on this one.

The "geek" factor won out. The convenience of the e-reader combined with wireless delivery of stuff made the DX desirable. The smaller screens on the other readers didn't cut it for us and the iPad is a complete computer, of which we don't need any more (disappointed the in-laws on that one). I like to read a couple magazines that are available in kindle format as well as USA Today. I'm presently working through all the Douglas Adams books (for a grand total of less that $10). I can also put the PDFs that I read for work on it, which is helpful in some situations (not all).

So now we have 2 kindle DX machines and are quite happy.

Mind you, we still have over 3,000 books piled on all the bookshelves and much of the floor space in the spare bedrooms. And those are just the ones we plan to keep.

Vacation in February will be strange because we traditionally bring about 30lbs of books with us. Now we will have less than 2lbs of kindle.
[Reply]
Comedian 11:52 AM 11-27-2010
I'm not sure how you guys can read those Kindle things. To me, a book is more than just about the story. It's the feeling of turning the pages, the smell of a new(or old) book, the weight in your hands, the actual owning of a physical copy of the book that can be saved for generations and passed around to friends and family members.

Reading books on an electronic device really just seems to suck the heart and soul right out of it, IMHO. Just my 2 cents, though.
[Reply]
Eleven 01:31 PM 11-27-2010
Originally Posted by Comedian:
I'm not sure how you guys can read those Kindle things. To me, a book is more than just about the story. It's the feeling of turning the pages, the smell of a new(or old) book, the weight in your hands, the actual owning of a physical copy of the book that can be saved for generations and passed around to friends and family members.

Reading books on an electronic device really just seems to suck the heart and soul right out of it, IMHO. Just my 2 cents, though.

I don't have one yet, but I can totally see the reasons to get one. I love to read in bed, but I cannot get comfortable. I could easily read laying prone, but moving my arms to turn the page, as well as positioning the book to be readable is a pain.

Having a Kindle would eliminate both of those problems. I think I just sold myself!
[Reply]
Comedian 06:03 PM 11-28-2010
To each his own, man! Enjoy your Kindle! I certainly wouldn't mind reading SOME books on a Kindle. Lord knows it's a pain in the ass to read a War and Peace hardcover in bed.
[Reply]
RGD. 07:33 PM 11-28-2010

I'm sure you have eaten at a fast food place. Not the same as sitting down at a 5 star restaurant is it? But it does serve a purpose. And there is no law, no rule that says you can't have both. Same deal with the Kindle (or any e-reader).

As a book lover, no, the Kindle will never be the same as touching the beauty of a hardcover - but imagine being able to have over half of your library in your coat pocket just for those fast food times.

Ron
[Reply]
Wolfgang 07:51 PM 11-28-2010
I believe physical books should come with digital downloads :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 08:10 PM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
Nothing beats a real book.
:-)

I guess it's b/c I'm old school, but I'd rather just buy a book than purchase it on a kindle. If a kindle saved money, I'd probably be all over one, but with all the cheap prices of books on Amazon, I just don't think it's worth the money. Maybe it's b/c I've got a degree in English Lit, but I also prefer the real deal b/c I can mark up all the pages and write notes in the margins.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 09:39 PM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
I also prefer the real deal b/c I can mark up all the pages and write notes in the margins.
You can do that on the kindle too :-) no writing but you can make notes.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:31 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
:-)

I guess it's b/c I'm old school, but I'd rather just buy a book than purchase it on a kindle. If a kindle saved money, I'd probably be all over one, but with all the cheap prices of books on Amazon, I just don't think it's worth the money. Maybe it's b/c I've got a degree in English Lit, but I also prefer the real deal b/c I can mark up all the pages and write notes in the margins.
The Kindle does save me money in a way -- when I travel I no longer have to bring 30 lbs of books with me. When I am home I still read real books, but when I am traveling or out-and-about nothing beats the Kindle...
[Reply]
tsolomon 07:16 AM 11-29-2010

I feel the same way, but after collecting books for 45 years I have to admit I have too many. I have book shelves that are full, books stored in boxes in the attic and basement and more at work where I run a loaner library. I read 1-2 books a week and I finally asked the wife to get me a Kindle for Xmas. :-)
[Reply]
imthegoal 12:22 PM 11-29-2010
My mom got me the Nook from B&N and I have absolutley loved it so far. I like the ability to be able to go into a store and get free content with it as well.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up