Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Is a Xikar really worth it?
icehog3 04:25 PM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
I think Palio-Xikar is like Coke-Pepsi, mainly a personal preference. Both companies make excellent cutters and back them with lifetime warranties to boot.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with Jeff that XiKar makes a quality cutter....I just prefer the Palio, but it is always best to try each (from a fellow BOTL at a herf, maybe), and see what fits best for you.
[Reply]
marge796 04:27 PM 01-09-2010
I think you're right Jeff.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 04:54 PM 01-09-2010
I have both (sometimes I think I'm just in cigars for the swag) and I like my Palio better. Just seems it is built better and cuts better. That said I really like the xikar scissors. They are the most compact and do just as good of a job cutting the cigar.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Don Fernando 05:03 PM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by dunng:
I have both, but always go for my Palio! :-)
:-)

I got nothing bad to say about Xikar, it's sharp, looks cool and they offer top notch customer service, but I like my Palio just a bit better.
[Reply]
floydpink 05:21 PM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
:-)

I got nothing bad to say about Xikar, it's sharp, looks cool and they offer top notch customer service, but I like my Palio just a bit better.
My thoughts exactly. Thought my Xikar was the coolest thing when I got it, but have never used it since getting my Palio. I might feel different if I had one of those Wooley Mammmoth horn Xikars someone was buying around here last year.
[Reply]
muhren 06:03 PM 01-09-2010
I have a couple Xikars and the lifetime sharpening is pretty darn cool. I already sent one in and it returned ready to go! Only cost of sharpening = $4.80 for shipping. Good deal IMO.
[Reply]
Pauly Walnuts 10:57 PM 01-09-2010
Thanks for all the preferences guys. I'm torn between the two because I like the cool factor of the switchblade action of the Xikar, but I just know that Id like the Palios sturdy design better in the longrun. But hell, I wont be able to afford either for awhile anyway so Ill have the time to think which one is for me.
Walnuts
[Reply]
druturn 11:19 PM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by Pauly Walnuts:
but I just know that Id like the Palios sturdy design better in the longrun.
There is no need to think of long run in terms of sturdiness, no matter what happens to your Palio or Xikar, you can get it replaced for free at most B&M's on the spot FOR LIFE! As everyone says, it all comes down to preference. I have no experience with Palio's so I can't say anything about it but I do love my Xikar Xi2 cutter. Ever since I got it nearly two years ago I have cut every single cigar I smoked with it(even including dozens of other friend's cigars) without a hitch. One side has started to stick a little bit, so I just took it into my local B&M and got it replaced on the spot for free. In summary, try em both from a BOTL and see how you like each. The Xikar takes a bit of practice but after practicing it will be comfortable and I am sure it is the same story for Palios. Good luck in your decision, you can't go wrong!:-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:25 PM 01-09-2010
I use a Palio and I love it. I used to use a Xikar, but it seemed to wobble when cutting b/c it is hard to control when applying pressure b/c there are no finger holes like the Palio has.
[Reply]
Pilon 11:48 PM 01-09-2010
I have a Xikar MTX Tool I bought for $40. Love it.
[Reply]
Roland of Gilead 01:31 AM 01-10-2010
I have both, and I prefer the Palio slightly over the Xikar. They're both great cutters though.

-Mark.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:22 AM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by muhren:
I have a couple Xikars and the lifetime sharpening is pretty darn cool. I already sent one in and it returned ready to go! Only cost of sharpening = $4.80 for shipping. Good deal IMO.
Palio offers the same service. When it comes to customer service both companies are the best.
[Reply]
Neuromancer 04:23 AM 01-10-2010
Xikars are great... I have a few of them...also have a Palio...Palio is a shade better but they're both top-of-the-line cutters...you'd be good to go with either...
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:41 AM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I use a Palio and I love it. I used to use a Xikar, but it seemed to wobble when cutting b/c it is hard to control when applying pressure b/c there are no finger holes like the Palio has.
The easy way to use a Xikar is to lay it on the table. You hold the cigar vertically with the cap resting on the table and snip.

I have no experience with Palio, but have nothing but good things to say about my Xikar which I've had at least 5 years.
[Reply]
klipsch 07:44 AM 01-10-2010
I own a Palio. The only Xikar that I'd probably consider having, would be the Multi Tool. But even then...the Palio does everything I could ask of a cutter...so there's no need to buy another. Sept maybe another Palio in Black. :-)
[Reply]
rlmedic 07:50 AM 01-10-2010
I have the Xikar and love it! Its action became a little sticky after years of use sent it to them and they sent me a brand new one with less then 1 week turn around. I have a used the Palio and I have to say I like the feel and action better on the Xikar
[Reply]
blugill 09:22 AM 01-10-2010
So the point is that you can't go wrong with either cutter.
Either will serve you a lifetime and will cut hundreds of cigars for you.
I settled on a Palio, still as sharp as the day I got it a couple of years ago.
[Reply]
tobii3 09:39 AM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Nothing wrong with either cutter...unless you have my problem...getting your thumb stuck in the Palio.

Which is why I stick with a Xikar...no fingers or thumbs getting stuck!!
[Reply]
s15driftking 09:46 AM 01-10-2010
Here's my 3 cents.

Xikar hasa lifetime warranty. That's a pretty safe bet. I have used one before and i feel that the double blades are so bulky that I always cut the cigar kind-of slanted. I have reverted to using a regular old single blade cutter, never fails.

I have heard great things about the Palio's but have never used one myself. It looks to me like it was engineered to make a good clean even cut.. .but the proof is obviously in the proverbial pudding.

Caveat Emptor... at one time Colibri offered a lifetiem warranty.... at one time Colibri was bankrupt.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:58 AM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by muhren:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
Palio offers the same service. When it comes to customer service both companies are the best.
Not true!

If the blades of your Palio are not what they should be, walk into any Palio retailer and they will swap it out with a brand new cutter on the spot. Cost? $0.00

Yes. I know not every Palio owner has access to a Palio retailer and must use alternate methods (mail-in) but the cost is still the same.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Up