Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Fidello Cigar Cutter
CigarNut 08:39 PM 08-28-2011
The picture of that cap looks a little wierd to me -- almost like it's been lacquered or varnished.

In any case, if the cutter works for you, that's great for you! For me personally, I don't think that this kind of cutter would work very well.

I use both guillotine cutters and punches (Xikar, Palio, etc.) and they both work very well for me.
Originally Posted by Fuzzy:
Having used the Fidello on at least 20 sticks, mostly my favorite full strength Robustos with a Gordo or 2 in the mix, I like the way it cuts. I cut a couple of sticks in advance if going out because I don't want to carry the lump in my pocket.

Have found that not pushing the cigar all the way in works better for me. I look at the cap of whatever stick needs to be cut, and then push the stick in the Fidello a skosh more that what I think the cap depth is. In other words, I use the S.W.A.G. method of cutting.

[Reply]
Bill86 08:39 PM 08-28-2011
Wow there is two of these?

It looks like quite a bit of the cigar is cut, not just the cap... :-)
[Reply]
Fuzzy 07:25 PM 08-29-2011
Yep, I have the other one. Been using it quite a bit and have learned that depending on rg, you must guesstimate how far to push the stick into the cutter.

As for the picture on my previous, it is a combination of flash and slobber, I forgot to take the pic right after the cut. Kinda gross, huh.
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 08:49 PM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by Fuzzy:
Yep, I have the other one. Been using it quite a bit and have learned that depending on rg, you must guesstimate how far to push the stick into the cutter.
Wow, that thing sounds worse the more it gets described... guesstimating? Given the variation in the ring gauge of the cigars I smoke, it sounds like too much of a gamble for me.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 09:02 PM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa:
Wow, that thing sounds worse the more it gets described... guesstimating? Given the variation in the ring gauge of the cigars I smoke, it sounds like too much of a gamble for me.
Unless you are using a "stop-back" cutter, then you're sort of guesstimating with each and every cut. I'm sure with this cutter you can get a good guess of how much is being sliced by how far the cigar goes in.

I don't see why folks are so quick to judge what they have never even tried. I mean, for crying out loud people, if one of these was in front of you would you not be curious and try it out for chits and giggles? If I could have gotten one when CI had them for free I would have. Why not?
[Reply]
Bill86 09:41 PM 08-29-2011
For me I dislike any cutter that isn't a punch :-) Fool proof cutter. :-)

I kid, I try other cutters but this one just seems a bit too gimmicky. I don't even really like the marketing, "helps you control the draw". I dunno how that makes any sense, maybe It's just me. But they do like to say it quite often. They don't even really explain how or why this MIGHT be possible.

To sum it up Mario, I think everyone is only judging it to say "I won't buy this". If these were somehow made available to try......I could see myself using it once or twice out of curiosity. I'm sure most others would try it out as well.

Or like you said if they were free with a purchase......

But as far as shelling out the $40+ these were commanding (for the non-crappy plastic model) I think most people like the tried and true cutters they already have.

Also I gather this thing isn't exactly as compact as a Palio or Xikar punch.

EDIT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5duc...eature=related Watch that :-). Notice how he misspelled the name of it in the video upload :-) Bonus points. Again I cannot trust a product with that kinda marketing....
[Reply]
mariogolbee 09:55 PM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
To sum it up Mario, I think everyone is only judging it to say "I won't buy this". If these were somehow made available to try......I could see myself using it once or twice out of curiosity. I'm sure most others would try it out as well.

Or like you said if they were free with a purchase......

But as far as shelling out the $40+ these were commanding (for the non-crappy plastic model) I think most people like the tried and true cutters they already have.

Also I gather this thing isn't exactly as compact as a Palio or Xikar punch.
They could just say that.

Agreed. Free is free.

Agreed. I would NOT dish out $40 without trying this first. I don't know that I'd like it. I don't see it being something great, but I don't know, so I don't dis it. Judging something without accurate information can be a very ugly thing.

Agreed. It doesn't look as compact as either of those two cutters. IF I had one, I'd probably just keep it in my herf box.

After watching a couple of you tube videos I can see where the claim to draw control lies. If the head is squeezed down on, it opens the slits up which in theory lets out more smoke. This makes sense, and since there are six slits, it should let out a decent amount of smoke depending on how pressure is applied. When the pressure is releases it should let out less smoke. I'm sure this method does allow for draw control. Not that I really care much about controlling my draw once the damned thing is already cut. Who knows, perhaps after trying one I would be anal about draw control henceforth. For now I don't know because I have never tried one. However, I refuse to simply write it off "just because."
[Reply]
bobarian 09:56 PM 08-29-2011
My Palio cuts with perfection, no reason to try anything else. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
mariogolbee 09:59 PM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5duc...eature=related Watch that :-). Notice how he misspelled the name of it in the video upload :-) Bonus points. Again I cannot trust a product with that kinda marketing....
That IS funny! From what I've seen of 2guys they kind of just throw stuff out there. That video sucked.
[Reply]
jaxstraww 10:22 PM 08-29-2011
I would think you run the chance of actually breaking the cigar as you apply force. In teh video it appeared he had to really push down to get his cuts.

I bought a "ceramic" cigar cutter a few years back when all our stuff was getting taken by the TSA when traveling. It sucked........

My two cutters that I have used for 7 years.....Pally and a Xikar....Why mess with a boutique cutter that can't handle all shapes?
[Reply]
Bill86 10:27 PM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
That IS funny! From what I've seen of 2guys they kind of just throw stuff out there. That video sucked.
Youtube is awesome, gems like this would otherwise go unnoticed. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:30 PM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
No $hit.
He sounds like a snake oil salesman.

Glad we got a wonderfully blurry close up of the cigar. :-)

I'm sorry. Wouldn't the draw on the cigar be predominantly determined by the construction and, to a lesser degree, the storage? The cutter creates a perfect draw??!?!?! Nothing a guillotine, punch or scissors wouldn't accomplish.

I wouldn't waste $5 on that gimmick. Unless of course it magically enlarges the sweet spot. :-)

"I want it? I gotta have it?"
I don't think so.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 06:55 AM 08-30-2011
What happens when you do get that imperfect cigar that is plugged. I do not see how i could use my fancy draw tools with this type of cut.
[Reply]
vinnydisilvio 01:38 PM 09-03-2011
so wait...there's 2 of these? the fidello and the shuriken? i would have figured that it was only called the fidello at first and the name was changed, but if there's actually 2 "different" ones it's a shame whoever came up with the idea didn't patent the idea.

for those criticizing the 2 Guys video, dave garofalo definitely isn't a snake oil salesman. he's a good guy and is very honest. it's funny how we make snap judgements like that though. but say what you will about him, at least he does his own videos and is hands on in that way. so what if he hasn't taken a marketing degree to advertise the products he sells.
[Reply]
pnoon 01:53 PM 09-03-2011
Originally Posted by vinnydisilvio:
so wait...there's 2 of these? the fidello and the shuriken? i would have figured that it was only called the fidello at first and the name was changed, but if there's actually 2 "different" ones it's a shame whoever came up with the idea didn't patent the idea.

for those criticizing the 2 Guys video, dave garofalo definitely isn't a snake oil salesman. he's a good guy and is very honest. it's funny how we make snap judgements like that though. but say what you will about him, at least he does his own videos and is hands on in that way. so what if he hasn't taken a marketing degree to advertise the products he sells.
Well, excuse me for expressing my opinion. I was commenting on the ad. If you take the time to read what I posted I said, "He sounds like a snake oil salesman." It's not called a "snap judgement." It's called an impression. And my impression is that the video is cheesy and it sucked.

Just like everyone here forms impressions on new members based on the content and tone of their posts.
[Reply]
vinnydisilvio 02:03 PM 09-03-2011
peter, i'm not thrilled that my post rubbed you the wrong way, but the reason i said "we make snap judgements" is because i was including myself. i make snap judgements from time to time, too. and, yes, it is your impression but i saw it as being based on a snap judgement.

you said that he sounded like that and i was commenting on that. i read your post. clearly you've formed an impression of me but i think that new members form impressions of the veterans based on the content and tone of how they handle newbies who disagree with them too.

i'm sorry you don't like me voicing my disagreement. i assumed that's part of the nature of a forum.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:10 PM 09-03-2011
peter, i'm not thrilled that my post rubbed you the wrong way, but the reason i said "we make snap judgements" is because i was including myself. i make snap judgements from time to time, too. and, yes, it is your impression but i saw it as being based on a snap judgement.

you said that he sounded like that and i was commenting on that. i read your post. clearly you've formed an impression of me but i think that new members form impressions of the veterans based on the content and tone of how they handle newbies who disagree with them too.

i'm sorry you don't like me voicing my disagreement. i assumed that's part of the nature of a forum.
A couple of points here.
It's not that you voice your disagreement but how you express it. And, you are correct. Disagreement is the nature of a forum. But it should always be couched with a bit of humility. Your comment was not a general one but directed specifically to me. (I believe I was the only one to use the phrase snake oil salesman.) I made a comment on the video and you jumped to a conclusion that it was a criticism of Dave as a person. Your conclusion is wrong.
[Reply]
vinnydisilvio 02:18 PM 09-03-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
A couple of points here.
It's not that you voice your disagreement but how you express it. And, you are correct. Disagreement is the nature of a forum. But it should always be couched with a bit of humility. Your comment was not a general one but directed specifically to me. (I believe I was the only one to use the phrase snake oil salesman.) I made a comment on the video and you jumped to a conclusion that it was a criticism of Dave as a person. Your conclusion is wrong.
i can appreciate that. my comment was directed at anyone criticizing the video. yes...i used your comment directly (as an example) but i think it's fair to say that "snake oil salesman" is a pretty harsh term. from what i know of dave, he actually would take that personally. i know that you weren't criticizing who he is, but when i said about him what i did it was just to directly disagree with what you said he sounds like.

however, i hope you'll believe that i'm sincere when i apologize. i feel you took my comments with the wrong tone. i wasn't trying to insinuate that you were wrong to express your opinion.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:20 PM 09-03-2011
i can appreciate that. my comment was directed at anyone criticizing the video. yes...i used your comment directly (as an example) but i think it's fair to say that "snake oil salesman" is a pretty harsh term. from what i know of dave, he actually would take that personally. i know that you weren't criticizing who he is, but when i said about him what i did it was just to directly disagree with what you said he sounds like.

however, i hope you'll believe that i'm sincere when i apologize. i feel you took my comments with the wrong tone. i wasn't trying to insinuate that you were wrong to express your opinion.
I do. And maybe I did. Unfortunately, we don't have the benefit of tone, inflection, and facial expression when posting in a forum.
[Reply]
vinnydisilvio 02:25 PM 09-03-2011
well, i'll try to be more careful when posting disagreement. i always read and re-read any comments i post and edit if i feel like i'm being unfair. unfortunately it still often produces the reaction i got here. hopefully you'll get to know me and realize that i almost never mean to antagonize, it's just how i accidentally come across sometimes.

thanks for this back-and-forth.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up