Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Refurbishing A Severely Neglected 4000 Gallon Pond
Joey Link 08:25 PM 06-22-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
Promises are made to be broken :-)
:-)

Originally Posted by Tikihut27:
AWESOME. I want a pond like this very badly.

Someday I will have one.

Will you catch the catfish yourself? And why sturgeon? I'm not sure how well they would do in a pond environment. They are a big water fish...

Great work!
Nah, I'm getting both the catfish and sturgeon from a local hatchery. The catfish will be 6" and the sturgeon around 17". I wanted sturgeon because I've never seen them in a backyard pond before. I talked with the hatchery owner for quite a while and he said they'd do very well in there. He actually has one in a 1500 gallon pond. I suppose it's because they're so docile.

Originally Posted by kgoings:
Awesome pond! I wish I had the land and lived in an area that would allow me to do what your doing, with the trout that will be AWESOME!

Dont think the trout would do well in a backyard pond in Phoenix..... :-)
Yeah I really don't think they would either :-)

I can't wait to have the guys over for a herf on the back deck once it's done :-)
[Reply]
jjirons69 10:19 PM 06-22-2009
Green with envy...fluorescent green. :-)

I would love to see more pictures. These ecosystems are a true love of mine! Keep up the good work!
[Reply]
tzaddi 10:41 PM 06-22-2009
These guys are a great resource for equipment and knowledge. I have called and talked to their tech support before I even purchased anything from them. They also have a tech talk database online as well. http://www.aquaticeco.com/pages/1/Tech-Talk-Index

Image Good luck and have fun, it's a never ending project and great learning experience. :-)
[Reply]
zonedar 08:13 AM 06-24-2009
That's pretty cool. Sturgeon in the backyard, wild. Love to see it sometime.
[Reply]
OLS 01:28 PM 06-24-2009
I think you will find that most fish do not mess with tadpoles much. They might eat one, but that is usually it. Something about the taste. Birds might, but fish tend to leave em be. My favorite part of ponds so far has been the spiders. I love to see them move into an area and I love that they can cut down on the flying insects. watched one build a complete web the other evening, step by step. Different procedures thatn I expected. I have had a pond for three years now. I will post a few pics in the next few days. I just need to remember.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up