Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 17
< 12 3412 > Last »
General Discussion>Let's see those '11 gardens!
wayner123 01:40 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by OHRD:
You're right - they are the slowest to grow, onions and carrots are barely showing. The Zucchini and Lima beans are the allstars - one of the two (can't remember which) already has leaves coming up...
IME, onions from seed will take twice as long as the packet says. So if it's 110 days on the packets, you can bet they won't be ready till at least 200 days. It's best to start onions from plants. Also, did you make sure to get the correct day length onions for your zone?

Carrots take a long time as well. Not as long as onions, but they seem to grow quite slow when temps are below 65-70F.

Most likely the limas are showing true (second set) of leaves. Beans (legumes) are fast growers for me and really grow fast until they reach flowering stage. After that it's anybody's guess.
[Reply]
OHRD 02:54 PM 03-14-2011
This has been a blast to watch - our boys have loved it too. No idea if we got the right packet of onions - just whatever Lowe's had. We are in Middle GA...they are still inside but will go outside soon I guess - we've been having weather in the 70s here lately...
[Reply]
wayner123 03:00 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by OHRD:
This has been a blast to watch - our boys have loved it too. No idea if we got the right packet of onions - just whatever Lowe's had. We are in Middle GA...they are still inside but will go outside soon I guess - we've been having weather in the 70s here lately...
Check out the packet and see if it said what the onions were and I can try and tell ya if they are he correct variety for your area.

I started doing mine last year with my daughter and it's been fun. I have read and read and read a lot too. Asked some veteran gardeners around here their ideas too.

Lettuce with kids is always fun too. It grows very fast and does well in shade.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:04 PM 03-14-2011
Knocked down the first layer of weeds. Spread a thin layer of ashes in all the boxes and worked it in. Got the manure in the back there ready to deal with.
[Reply]
thebayratt 11:25 AM 03-15-2011
I got a dozen or so of Lima beans comming up. About 50+ bush green been plants up. A few hundred carrot and oinion seedlings popping up. Got 5 cucumber vines and 4 bush cucumbers comming up. Just planted some asparagus in a new raised bed Tried soy beans this year for the first time; a few of them are sprouting up. I'm growing them to try and make some edamame.
Pics to come soon.
[Reply]
wayner123 11:30 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by thebayratt:
I got a dozen or so of Lima beans comming up. About 50+ bush green been plants up. A few hundred carrot and oinion seedlings popping up. Got 5 cucumber vines and 4 bush cucumbers comming up. Just planted some asparagus in a new raised bed Tried soy beans this year for the first time; a few of them are sprouting up. I'm growing them to try and make some edamame.
Pics to come soon.
What variety are you growing?
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:51 PM 03-15-2011
Looking good, Lance!

In my garden: The soil is ready, but only the strawberry plants are growing (they survived the winter).

I will be planting soon!
:-)
[Reply]
Mr B 01:11 PM 03-15-2011
Nice pics Lance. Jealous of the size of your garden space!
My back is not looking forward to working in the amendments.
[Reply]
wayner123 01:28 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Nice pics Lance. Jealous of the size of your garden space!
My back is not looking forward to working in the amendments.
You should look into compost/worm tea. I don't have experience with it yet, but from what I have read, it should do wonders for less than stellar soils. It's much easier as well, until you can get your soil where you want it.

Here is a video on the comparison of tomatoes grown in "trash" soil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fol5i..._order&list=UL
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 02:17 PM 03-15-2011
Got my yellow squash, okra, and cukes in the ground. I put up an 18 inch chicken wire fence around the garden this year. We are letting our chickens free range a lot more know and they would love to eat these seedlings!! We went a little over board on the tomatoes this year. I may be canning lots of salsa and spaghetti sauce.
[Reply]
thebayratt 05:05 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
What variety are you growing?
Soybean Early Hakucho
Glycine max Early Hakucho
[Reply]
thebayratt 05:12 PM 03-15-2011
Left row is carrots. Back row is Lima beans. Rows 2-4 are green bush beans. The rest is soy beans.

Fist half is vibe cucumbers. Trying out a new trellis idea also. The back half is bush style cucumbers. The 1st half is for the family, the last half is for me (to pickle).

Asparagus plot. New this year, was unaware it grows for about 10+ years, and you not supposed to harvest the first year.

[Reply]
shilala 05:17 PM 03-15-2011
I got my seeds, but my light stand is in a pile in the basement. I don't have a garden yet, and I can't get it laid out until I move the shed down to the bottom of the back yard.
Quite honestly, if I get a garden in this year, it'll be a miracle.
If I don't, it'll be the first time in 24 years. I'm sure we'll figure something out. I need to get a move-on.
[Reply]
Mr B 09:54 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
You should look into compost/worm tea. I don't have experience with it yet, but from what I have read, it should do wonders for less than stellar soils. It's much easier as well, until you can get your soil where you want it.

Here is a video on the comparison of tomatoes grown in "trash" soil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fol5i..._order&list=UL

Thanks for the link. I was following the Compost Tea posts form Richard (Tzaddi) last season. Will have to look into that.
[Reply]
Mr B 09:58 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
I got my seeds, but my light stand is in a pile in the basement. I don't have a garden yet, and I can't get it laid out until I move the shed down to the bottom of the back yard.
Quite honestly, if I get a garden in this year, it'll be a miracle.
If I don't, it'll be the first time in 24 years. I'm sure we'll figure something out. I need to get a move-on.

Scott, as a little encouragement, I missed a year of veggie garden 1 time in the 19 years I have been growing. It was the loneliest season my back yard has ever had lol.
I missed it so much. Try to get it going brother. You wont be sorry.
[Reply]
wayner123 06:38 PM 04-01-2011
Here is my effort so far this year. I just built the trellis today.

L to R:

First row: Orangeglo watermelon, Boule D'Nor, Collective Farm Woman
Second row: Charentais, Petit Gris de Rennes
Third row: Kentucky Wonder pole beans
Fourth row: early and crookneck squash, sweet corn
Fifth row: Sweet peppers, California wonder bell peppers

Here are my containers:

The grey and both pink/purple totes hold Evangeline sweet potato's.

The grey SWC (self watering container) in front holds my carrots. Which are taking FOREVER to grow. And the blue/tan SWC in the back are the Sayamusume soy beans.

Here is something I am very proud I even got to this stage:

Natasha Poppies
[Reply]
thebayratt 04:40 PM 04-03-2011
Plants are comming up quite nicely!

Cucumbers:

Beans:

Carrots, Beans, SoyBeans, Limas on back row

Asparagus:

The whole deal:
[Reply]
emopunker2004 04:36 AM 04-04-2011
:-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 05:17 PM 04-04-2011
We still might freeze this week.

The compost pile:

I'm hauling it two 5gal buckets at a time to top dress the boxes. I've already put ashes and 7-3-5 organic fertilizer in the boxes and raked it in.

Look! An artichoke!
It's about 1 1/2" around.
[Reply]
HK3- 06:43 PM 04-04-2011
Looking great fellas! :-)

Unfortunately I've decided to skip a garden this year but I will be watching ya'lls closely on here! :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 17
< 12 3412 > Last »
Up