Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>May be a dumb question, but I gotta ask
NCRadioMan 11:16 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
I've often thought about this, and if I was a cigar maker I would think that achieving the same profile throughout the line would be my goal. Clearly that is not the case as people tend to find different flavors with different sticks. It just seems like you'd want it to be the same across the board. A bottle of coke takes just like a can of coke.
To me, that's boring. Part of the fun is trying all the different sizes to see which one you like best.

:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:23 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
I've often thought about this, and if I was a cigar maker I would think that achieving the same profile throughout the line would be my goal. Clearly that is not the case as people tend to find different flavors with different sticks. It just seems like you'd want it to be the same across the board. A bottle of coke takes just like a can of coke.
Its the difference between the vitolas that gives each smoker the chance to find the perfect balance for his/her palate. As we are speaking primarily of long filler tobacco, it would be impossible to make each size taste the same as you can only change the blend by adding whole leaves. By homogenizing the tobacco or only using short fillers you could have the same profile across the board, but then you no longer have a premium long filler cigar. Cigars from the same brand will have a similar profile as the tobaccos are from the same bundles, but adding more leaves is bound to change the taste. :-)
[Reply]
mtnphoto 11:34 AM 10-08-2010
I am the same as forgop, I have a hard time detecting all of the flavors but know what I like when I smoke it! I guess that's have the battle and the FUN.:-)
[Reply]
Matt-N-Ga 08:40 PM 10-08-2010
I've always had trouble distinguishing delicate flavors. But as for the differences in RG, I can taste the difference between a Serie V Lancero and a Serie V Double Robusto, but cannot notice or distiguish any difference between a Serie V Double Robusto and a Serie V Churchill. The differences are too subtle for my caveman like tastes...Meat good, Grass bad kinda thing...
[Reply]
mtnphoto 09:07 AM 10-09-2010
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga:
The differences are too subtle for my caveman like tastes...Meat good, Grass bad kinda thing...
I'm right with you on this one!
[Reply]
Lumpold 11:27 AM 10-09-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
On the question, it's yes and no. There's more tobacco for the smoke to pass through, and more tobacco to hold the essences of the burned smoke. As a cigar burns to the end, the cigar will "develop" because of the aggregate "essence" deposited as one smokes.
That's why little cigars and small rings don't "develop" as much and deliver a lot different experience, in my opinion, as compared to the larger rings, and larger ring/longer vitolas.

If you know you like the flavors, you already won the game, my brother. Just enjoy them. :-)
Originally Posted by forgop:
When people talk about how a cigar evolves from start to finish, is there an explanation other than how much tobacco the smoke passes through before reaching your mouth when therefor no change in shape like seen in a figurado compared to a "straight" cigar?

I guess I've just never developed my palate in such a way that I can detect all of the perceived flavors when they use words like nuts, earthy, grassy, chocolate, etc. I obviously know whether I like the flavors or not, but that's about it.
In addition to Shilala's answer above, I would also say that as you move down the cigar, you may well find varying amounts of the different filler types, which will, of course, change the flavour profile of the cigar.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up