Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 34 > Last »
General Discussion>Anyone Own A Kindle?
pnoon 02:09 PM 07-16-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
[clears throat]

Pardon me, Sir. The "baldy" comment is a term of endearment, kind of like how I call my Father, "old man".

I apologize for any confusion this may have cause you, Mister Noon and hope to avoid any such incidents like the latest in the future.

Have a wonderful day.

:-)
I confuse easily. Just ask the S.H.I.T.ers
I much prefer Baldy to Mister Noon.
[Reply]
BlackDog 02:09 PM 07-16-2009
OK seroius question regarding the Kindle. What is the availability for older books? Is the available content current publications only, or can a person, for example, down load a copy of something written 50 years ago?
[Reply]
pnoon 02:10 PM 07-16-2009
Originally Posted by gorob23:
They are too heavy for him to lift to his eyes...old age setting in ok carry on :-)

Rob :-)

See what I mean about his age! peter don't let them get you down. Ricky and I were talking at So Cal you look great and walk real well for a guy that"s pushing 75 :-)
Listen you . . . .

I got nothin' :-)
[Reply]
Joan 02:20 PM 07-16-2009
Originally Posted by Cigargal:
Joan has one and loves it...pm her.
Funny you should say that... I left the kindle at home while traveling last week and brought along instead the wee iTouch I bought off Shilala.

For laying in bed at home with a book, I prefer the kindle. But for reading in the Girl Cave, garage, ladies room, on the plane, in the car, hotel room... I much prefer the iTouch running the kindle app. Smaller, lighter, quieter (no page turn button clicks) than the kindle, AND is stupid fast at checking email!

Kindle apps I use on the iTouch are much easier to access and change than on the kindle itself, from something simple like font size adjustment to shopping new books.

Kindle pwns the iTouch for battery life and the bigger screen, and Whispernet is available where wifi is not (at least in Seattle) but... remember Kindle has no backlight power drain, and checking email or shopping books over their proprietary Whispernet is an agonizingly slow process. Part of that is the processor limitation, but still it is quite frustrating.

Amazon will also only transfer to kindle format those books they sell or from publishers with whom they have agreements. They won't kindleize some of my old favorites available for free. :-)

I'd send you the kindle to try out but I already passed it on to someone, dang it, however, imho you aren't missing a lot over an iphone/itouch.

Hope my two cents helps! :-)
[Reply]
poker 02:24 PM 07-16-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Listen you . . . .

I got nothin' :-)

I would interject but I cant. If I backed up Peter, Rob wont take point in organizing SoCal XI next year.
If I back up Rob, I would have failed to honor my promise to always back up my fellow admin.
:-)
[Reply]
poker 02:27 PM 07-16-2009
Originally Posted by Joan:
I'd send you the kindle to try out but I already passed it on to someone, dang it, however, imho you aren't missing a lot over an iphone/itouch.
Peter's gonna need an iTouch with a 22" screen so he can see it though. :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 02:28 PM 07-16-2009
Originally Posted by poker:
:-):-)
[Reply]
markem 02:29 PM 07-16-2009
Apple is sure to come out with an iTouch Braille that almost works after each upgrade (well, full reinstall) and only costs a large fortune with a 10 minute battery life. :-) Random recoding of characters is an option, however. :-)
[Reply]
poker 02:33 PM 07-16-2009
Here ya go baldy. :-)

[Reply]
pnoon 02:43 PM 07-16-2009
:-) :-) :-)

Tough crowd. :-)
[Reply]
s0leful0ne 03:02 PM 07-16-2009

whaaat is that...?
[Reply]
Mugen910 03:04 PM 07-16-2009

Originally Posted by s0leful0ne:
whaaat is that...?
Lady Gaga...what you don't know? c'mon!

ok Back on topic... Kindle..1st person accounts only.
[Reply]
Darrell 03:04 PM 07-16-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I confuse easily. Just ask the S.H.I.T.ers
I much prefer Baldy to Mister Noon.
As you wish, my Fuhrer! :-)
[Reply]
poker 03:19 PM 07-16-2009
Originally Posted by s0leful0ne:
whaaat is that...?
http://www.engadget.com/tag/ipod+projector/
[Reply]
Joan 03:31 PM 07-16-2009
http://www.engadget.com/tag/ipod+projector/
OMG! OMG!

I was thinking MUST HAVE IT! before realizing my laptop does a better job of showing a movie...

That's a really nice doodad, though. :-)
[Reply]
HK3- 07:27 PM 07-16-2009
Hey Peter, KenS has two Kindles and is very knowledgeable about them. I would drop him a pm if you have any questions regarding them.

BTW, they are very awesome and I plan to buy one for my ol lady who loves to read.
[Reply]
KenS 08:01 PM 07-16-2009
Like Hal said, we have 2 of 'em. One of the original, and one of the newer version. Both are excellent. Amazing screen for reading outdoors ... no glare. Downloading books is nearly instantaneous. Highly recommended.

Best thing I can say about them is that within 5 minutes of reading, you completely forget you are using a "gadget". Just as emersive as a book :-).
[Reply]
Joan 11:03 PM 07-17-2009
Originally Posted by KenS:
Like Hal said, we have 2 of 'em. One of the original, and one of the newer version. Both are excellent. Amazing screen for reading outdoors ... no glare. Downloading books is nearly instantaneous. Highly recommended.
Ken is so right! That e-paper screen works much better outdoors in full sunlight than the itouch. Today I took a stab at reading some while at lunch outside with an Old Henry, but DAG! I had the little feller at max brightness to see it well enough to read comfortably.

Originally Posted by KenS:
Best thing I can say about them is that within 5 minutes of reading, you completely forget you are using a "gadget". Just as emersive as a book :-).
I found the kindle took noticeably longer to forget I was using a gadget. It also took a few chapters for me to stop hearing the page turning button >click< every time. Still does. With the itouch it's just a light, silent page tap. Splitting hairs, I know. :-)
[Reply]
KenS 06:31 AM 07-18-2009
Originally Posted by Joan:
Ken is so right! That e-paper screen works much better outdoors in full sunlight than the itouch. Today I took a stab at reading some while at lunch outside with an Old Henry, but DAG! I had the little feller at max brightness to see it well enough to read comfortably.

I found the kindle took noticeably longer to forget I was using a gadget. It also took a few chapters for me to stop hearing the page turning button >click< every time. Still does. With the itouch it's just a light, silent page tap. Splitting hairs, I know. :-)
For me, the iPhone/iPod Touch is a good companion device for the Kindle. If I'm traveling, or planning to do a lot of reading, the Kindle is perfect. Large screen and works well in all conditions. But it's great to have the software on my iPhone as well, because they stay in sync as far as which page I'm on. That way, if I'm just stealing a few minutes of reading time (waiting at a doctor's office for example), I can use the iPhone and still keep in sync.

I watch a lot of movies on the iPhone (lots of international travel), and it's great for that. But I'm not crazy about reading for a long time on the small screen.
[Reply]
CigarDood 07:25 AM 07-18-2009
"Amazon Erases Orwell Books From Kindle"
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/te.../18amazon.html

This kind of stuff makes me 50 x less likely to buy a kindle.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 34 > Last »
Up