Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
General Discussion>Stay safe in the Midwest
14holestogie 11:04 AM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by Sled Dog:
Looking like we are on tap for about 15" here in Buffalo tonight... hopefully it stays all snow. They were talking about the icing line getting close to the city, I sure hope that doesn't happen.
15" in Buffalo? That's just a dusting for you guys, isn't it? :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 12:30 PM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Chicago will be getting dumped on big time, even without the lake effect snow considered.
I always thought lake effect snow was more east and SE moving. It's interesting to see it here in Chicago when it moves W and SW. It is almost like a noreastern you get up near DC through new england.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:21 PM 02-01-2011

Hmm, if I could only be smoking a Sir Winston and drinking a cold beer in that hammock right now:-)
[Reply]
captain53 01:34 PM 02-01-2011
We are over 12" at Lake of the Ozarks now but snowfall has slowed for the time being.

Just received this travel notice for MO:

I wanted to pass along some information on a closure of a section of I-70 where they are experiencing white out conditions. MoDOT informed me that the highway patrol and MoDOT are diverting traffic from I-70 between US 65 and US 54 due to deteriorating conditions. They did say that they might continue efforts to plow this section of I-70 but may not be able to continue until the storm subsides.

Also, I-44 from MM 8 westward to the Oklahoma border is closed due to the heavy snow. They are rerouting westbound traffic before they reach the state line due to the Oklahoma I-44 turnpike being closed. The Missouri I-44 closure is estimated to last 3 hours or more.

I just spoke with MoDOT EOC and they confirmed that currently the Missouri National Guard has not yet been tasked with a rescue mission for stranded motorists and that this response activity is still being handled by the highway patrol and MoDOT. However, the National Guard in Oklahoma has been dispatched with this mission for the I-44 Turnpike closure.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 01:40 PM 02-01-2011
Coming down heavier here, south of KC, the last half hour. 1 block visibility.
[Reply]
Bageland2000 01:41 PM 02-01-2011
Central Il is getting annihilated right now
[Reply]
JaKaacH 01:44 PM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by Bageland2000:
Central Il is getting annihilated right now
I heard they are getting a lot of ice too. Glad its just snow here.
[Reply]
marge796 01:47 PM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate:
We have already had 20 inches just in the Month of January this year and we are supposed to get another 10-14 today. Some places had a windchill of -32 this morning!
I'm sooooo glad I'm missing all this, Travis!

:-)

Chris.....
[Reply]
Sled Dog 02:49 PM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
15" in Buffalo? That's just a dusting for you guys, isn't it? :-)
It's definitely not enough to keep me home for the day!
[Reply]
jledou 03:35 PM 02-01-2011
Visibility still an issue with the wind right now. Shoveling snow just creates a new place for it to blow .... :-)
Due for around 12" here by the end of tonight. Looks like the Ozarks through NE Missouri will hit around 18".
[Reply]
GKitty 03:46 PM 02-01-2011
The view out my window about an hour ago.

Take a Peek

Was out playing in it about 4 hours ago. There were about 6 inches on the ground then and it's been going steadily since then. They're calling for it to continue into the night.

My roommate is having to be driven home from work by a coworker. We'll see if they acutally make it. I got a work-at-home day myself. Keeping my fingers crossed they give us another one tomorrow. I'm down for a mini-vacation due to snow. Bring it on, Jack Frost!
[Reply]
icehog3 06:02 PM 02-01-2011
Snow is piling up and the winds are vicious...popped in to warm up.
[Reply]
Bunker 06:10 PM 02-01-2011
Aroud 4-5 inches so far south of Boston, but now it is switching from snow to sleet to rain and back.

To make it better the ice dam in the crotch of my roof has finally reached the point where I have water dripping from the window sill in the bathroom, which of course means the roof and most of the wall is wet.

The best part is I probably can't even think of trying to fix it for a month of so :-)
[Reply]
larryinlc 07:19 PM 02-01-2011
It's so windy here that the snow falling from above is landing in Illinois.:-)

Larry
[Reply]
Eleven 07:29 PM 02-01-2011
Dayton Ohio area has freezing rain, about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of ice so far and its raining more. Snow comes tomorrow.
[Reply]
Flynnster 09:52 PM 02-01-2011
Been white out conditions for the last few hours here in downtown chicago, hard to tell how much we have since it is blowing and drifting so much.

We even had an hour or so of lightning and thunder!
[Reply]
Bageland2000 09:52 PM 02-01-2011
they're shutting down highways in IL
[Reply]
icehog3 10:21 PM 02-01-2011
Scariest snow-related drive of my life driving home. Several white-outs on the highway, but you can't stop for fear of getting rear-ended---yet no clue what is in front of you. I was thrilled to make it home.
[Reply]
Flynnster 10:31 PM 02-01-2011
Glad you made it safe!! I love driving in deep snow, but not when it is still coming down. I especially hate the part about not being able to stop like you said.
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 12:21 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Scariest snow-related drive of my life driving home. Several white-outs on the highway, but you can't stop for fear of getting rear-ended---yet no clue what is in front of you. I was thrilled to make it home.
Glad you made it home safe, it is NASTY out. Luckily I have been home since the afternoon, I am terrified to go out right now.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up