Great choice for a smoke 28 30.11%
A lot of Hype and B.S 15 16.13%
"to each their own" 50 53.76%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
All Cigar Discussion>The mystique behind Davidoff cigars
groogs 07:44 PM 03-03-2009
I have never smoked one, and I have never had the urge to. I am sure I will pick one up some day, but I am not in any rush.
[Reply]
Legend 07:49 PM 03-03-2009
Here in California you're looking at high 20s for most davidoff and 30s for the millenium. I'll drop that much on a PAM but the davidoff? No!
[Reply]
GoodFella 07:56 PM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I voted "to each their own", as everyone should smoke what they like.

Personally, for $15 I would rather smoke 4 Party Shorts. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
rrplasencia 08:02 PM 03-03-2009

:-) but if you do like that go with a diamond crown for half the price
[Reply]
dillio 08:04 PM 03-03-2009

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Addiction 08:13 PM 03-03-2009
I have had NC Davidoffs that I liked a bunch before I got off NCs. There are still a few that I like when I get the chance to smoke them. I think they are worth the money.
[Reply]
jonharky 08:22 PM 03-03-2009
I voted to each their own I had a davidoff zino #8 (I think) and it was alright. It was free at my local B&M so I couldn't complain but I don't think I can see myself spending so much just for that when there are other just a good cigars
[Reply]
DocLogic77 08:25 PM 03-03-2009
Davidoff Grand Cru #2 is a tremendous smoke. It's one of the few NCs that still do it for me.
[Reply]
alley00p 08:28 PM 03-03-2009
I attended a "blind taste test" event for Davidoff last week here in the Metro Detroit area. Turned out to be a new Davidoff blend Classic #8 which was very smooth, with some subtle tastes in it. I enjoyed it enough that I smoked it down to a nub.

I ended up buying a box of 10 Tubos for $70, which for this cigar, I felt was a reasonable price. I haven't ever had any of the other Davidoff blends which I realize are much more expensive.

I think a large part of the Davidoff "mystique" is centered about Zino Davidoff, who was a large supporter of the Cuban tobacco industry early in his career.

I've never had a party short yet, so I can't compare them....

[Reply]
Whipper Snapper 08:52 PM 03-03-2009
Personally, Davidoff happens to be one of the few nc's that I really enjoy. It's quite amazing what a few years of age do to these as well...

Now, do I think they're worth the price? That's a good question. I've had a lot of cigars that are cheaper which i've enjoyed more... but then again, they weren't ncs either.
[Reply]
md4958 08:54 PM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
I only tried crack once. It started out a little harsh but then it turned fairly spicy...definitely not mild! Overall not a bad smoke...especially for the price. :-)
did you get your crack from the internet, or your local crack house? I hear there is a difference? :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 08:56 PM 03-03-2009
Anny #3 is a wonderful NC if you can afford it.
[Reply]
pearson 08:59 PM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
I <3 Davidoff..It's one of the very few NC's I care for.. But I would never put down anyone else's taste buds... I swear.. :-)
Me too pal I fell in love with my first puff being a 6000, and now I cant stop. :-)
[Reply]
Waynegro1 10:46 PM 03-03-2009
I voted "to each their own". I look at cigars and price kind of like athletes. An athlete is worth what another man is willing to pay him. Same for cigars. If your favorite stogie is $15 then it's worth the price (to you). I'll try any cigar a couple times and if I don't enjoy it than it's not worth what it's going for IMO.
Personally, I'd rather have a Padron '64, Opus, Party Short etc. it's all a matter of taste vs cost, hence, "to each their own". :-)
[Reply]
Snake Hips 11:43 PM 03-03-2009
I think they're great cigars, but I rarely feel the urge to pay $20-an-hour for any class of smoke. Definitely worth a try.
[Reply]
Homebrewer 01:48 AM 03-04-2009
I smoked a dozen of these back in the 90s. I remember them being really good, with a subtle, unique flavor. You can get a faint taste of this flavor in a "private stock" for a much cheaper price.
[Reply]
papajohn67 02:58 AM 03-04-2009
I use to blow off the whole Davidoff line as a bunch of overpriced hype until I smoked a few and I was hooked. :-) Herfed tonight with the PNW Mossbacks and watched a fellow BOTL revel in orgasmic delight as he smoked a Davidoff Puro Perfecto that I had given him.
[Reply]
Legend 07:52 AM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by papajohn67:
I use to blow off the whole Davidoff line as a bunch of overpriced hype until I smoked a few and I was hooked. :-) Herfed tonight with the PNW Mossbacks and watched a fellow BOTL revel in orgasmic delight as he smoked a Davidoff Puro Perfecto that I had given him.
Not a good image.

Anyway. I'm noticing many who really prefer cubans being the bigger davidoff fans.

Which could draw a few conclusions.

1. Davidoff does a good job of "imitating" Cuban taste.

2. The snob factor. "Cubans are rare and expensive like my precious davidoff. "

I'm sure there are a both but if I had to venture a guess with the botl here I'd go with the taste. The asylum isn't exactly a snobbery. Taste would also explain why I'm just a so so fan of davidoff. I prefer many nicaraguan, Dominican and honduran smokes to cubans. That's my taste.
[Reply]
PeteSB75 08:00 AM 03-04-2009
I've had quite a few in the Davidoff line. The Milleniums are the best, IMO. But for the price, there are so many other things I would rather smoke. I smoke them only rarely, rather have a PAM64 or a good Boli.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:09 AM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by Legend:
Not a good image.

Anyway. I'm noticing many who really prefer cubans being the bigger davidoff fans.

Which could draw a few conclusions.

1. Davidoff does a good job of "imitating" Cuban taste.

2. The snob factor. "Cubans are rare and expensive like my precious davidoff. "

I'm sure there are a both but if I had to venture a guess with the botl here I'd go with the taste. The asylum isn't exactly a snobbery. Taste would also explain why I'm just a so so fan of davidoff. I prefer many nicaraguan, Dominican and honduran smokes to cubans. That's my taste.
I'm not sure which is more amusing. The manner in which you derived your conclusions or the conclusions themselves. I can't really address how you got there so I can only comment on the conclusions themselves.

1. Davidoff does a good job of "imitating" Cuban taste. - I don't know of anyone who would say that an NC Davidoff is similar in taste to a Cuban cigar.
2. "Cubans are rare and expensive like my precious davidoff. " - Cubans are neither rare nor expensive.

[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up