Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Barrett-Jackson Car Auction
captain53 03:12 PM 01-23-2011
Originally Posted by gravelman:
Yea I have the same feeling, and it is pretty funny to see that on Sunday the place is empty and the highest cars are going under 100,000.
Yeah and that beautiful 57 Mercury Montclair was a nice buy at $50K.
[Reply]
Ratters 06:54 PM 01-23-2011
I've watched it for years. I love muscle cars as much as the next guy, but I miss the days when it was mostly exotics.
[Reply]
Parshooter 06:43 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by gravelman:
I was also a little disappointed in them having Bret Michaels up there all night. I wanted to see more action and less talking from Bret. O well :-)
THAT is why I TIVO Saturday's coverage, I can skip through all the bs and comercials and watch it in a fraction of the time. Love seeing the 60/70s American muscle cars.
[Reply]
STEVE S 07:04 AM 01-24-2011
I watch as much of the action as I can. I have for years enjoyed the show, because I love to see the muscle cars and how much money they bring.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:38 AM 01-24-2011
I suspect on their "main event" cars, there is a reduced seller comission. They must negotiate the seller comission to some degree.

Here's a picture of me at a Barrett-Jackson event at the W in December:
[Reply]
billybarue 08:13 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
I watch this on occasion, and think "what recession????" I realize many/most of these cars are very rare, but it seems like the auction goes on non-stop. A LOT of money being spent there :-).
+2! there is a whole lot of cabbage being spent on cars, when we are at very high unemployment rates. Kind of scratch my head. I don't follow prices closely, but my general feeling is prices are up.

Very eye-opening to see the commissions Barrett Jackson is getting.

As far as missed opportunities, I am sure everybody has one or two at least. I wish I still had my Buick 225 (deuce n' a quarter) from high school, or my Dad's '72 Eldorado, and I let a good buddy of mine dump his 64 GTO convertible shortly after college.

Of note I thought there were a couple late 60's/early 70's getting attention I haven't seen before - specifically the Buick Grand Sport.

After seeing the commission prices, I can see why Barrett Jackson has stayed in business. Clearly they are doing OK, but I really do like the charity auctions. The 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 went for $450,000!!! Everything over the sticker price went to Children's diabetes charity I believe - great thing. I liked the look of the 302, but the guts are amzing. Looks like Ford is concentrating on performance to counter the good looks of the new camaros and challengers - IMO.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up