Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Cigar Aficionado Top 25 #1
icehog3 01:54 PM 01-11-2009
Originally Posted by ca21455:
Actually that is not true for the top 25, here is part of Gordon Mott's explaination:

Casa Magna! I know you’re all surprised. We were too after our initial round of Top 25 tastings. And, then, that cigar just kept holding its spot among the top five cigars. In the end, the other factors—price, availability, intangibles—that we consider when making our final choice proved to be the tipping points in favor of the Casa Magna Colorado Robusto.
I saw that in another thread, you are absolutely correct....see what I get for shooting off my big bazoo without seeing the newest issue! :-)

For $5, I will still take a fresh Party Short, though. :-)
[Reply]
jitzy 01:56 PM 01-11-2009
Actually that is not true for the top 25, here is part of Gordon Mott's explaination:

Casa Magna! I know you’re all surprised. We were too after our initial round of Top 25 tastings. And, then, that cigar just kept holding its spot among the top five cigars. In the end, the other factors—price, availability, intangibles—that we consider when making our final choice proved to be the tipping points in favor of the Casa Magna Colorado Robusto.
but yet he also said in his blog they didn't even know it was a $5 smoke, its all a stroke job by them, if price played a factor for #1 why not #2, 3, 4, and 5?
[Reply]
jitzy 01:58 PM 01-11-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:

agreed
[Reply]
ca21455 02:33 PM 01-11-2009
Originally Posted by jitzy:
but yet he also said in his blog they didn't even know it was a $5 smoke, its all a stroke job by them, if price played a factor for #1 why not #2, 3, 4, and 5?
You could be right. But in the end it gets down to smoking what you really enjoy. If a bunch of people try and like the cigars CA or any other publication puts out in front of the public then they provided a valuable service.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:38 PM 01-11-2009
You could be right. But in the end it gets down to smoking what you really enjoy. If a bunch of people try and like the cigars CA or any other publication puts out in front of the public then they provided a valuable service.
On the other hand (I gotta play Devil's Advocate here, John), if a bunch of people try and don't like the cigars that CA put in the top spots, then they have screwed us over! :-) :-)
[Reply]
ca21455 07:59 PM 01-11-2009
On the other hand (I gotta play Devil's Advocate here, John), if a bunch of people try and don't like the cigars that CA put in the top spots, then they have screwed us over! :-) :-)
I can go along with that logic also. However, CA does a lot more for cigar smokers then politicians, goody-two-shoe advocates and for that matter the majority of non-smokers put together. So I like to defend them from time to time.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 08:05 PM 01-11-2009
I saw that in another thread, you are absolutely correct....see what I get for shooting off my big bazoo without seeing the newest issue! :-)

I'm sure I would also, but don't knock it until you try it. squid, I kid :-) :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:41 PM 01-11-2009
I can go along with that logic also. However, CA does a lot more for cigar smokers then politicians, goody-two-shoe advocates and for that matter the majority of non-smokers put together. So I like to defend them from time to time.
Fair enough! :-) :-)

Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
I'm sure I would also, but don't knock it until you try it. squid, I kid :-)
Fair enough! :-) :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 09:12 PM 01-11-2009
Not so sure I agree with this year, but haven't tried a Casa Magna yet.

2007 was interesting as well, although a good arguement can be made for the Padron 1926 No 9 as well as the Montecristo #2.

How the heck did the Opus Perfecxion 2 get in there though??? Put the Cohiba maduro 5 in there instead of in 6th place and it is pretty solid for me...

I heard Rod Blagojevich had something to do with the Casa Magna spot this year but need to research further...

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...0,2007,00.html
[Reply]
Homebrewer 10:37 AM 01-12-2009
What the hell, I just ordered a 5'er of the Belicosos. I couldn't find any robustos.

I just hope they are better than a Cremosa.

Wasn't there supposed to be a review of the cigar in this thread???
[Reply]
ucla695 12:25 PM 01-12-2009

By intangibles does he mean advertising budget spent on ads? :-) :-) The top 25 is an illustration of why I prefer to read ECCJ.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 03:40 PM 01-12-2009
Originally Posted by Homebrewer:
What the hell, I just ordered a 5'er of the Belicosos. I couldn't find any robustos.

I just hope they are better than a Cremosa.

Wasn't there supposed to be a review of the cigar in this thread???
Suppose there would be if people actually had them :-)

I like to see underdogs but it does seem like a bizarre pick.
[Reply]
Langod 07:57 AM 01-13-2009
Crap. I guess that means I won't be finding the La Aurora Barrel Aged cigars on the bargain table at my local B&M anymore......
[Reply]
BigAsh 08:32 AM 01-13-2009
thought it was a good smoke back in October....its what I lit up for the Phillies World Series parade....Now that its #1....it was a GREAT smoke :-).....I'll be lightin' up another in Feb. for the EAGLES parade!

[Reply]
Only Fuentes 03:28 PM 02-14-2009
How was that Eagles Parade?? :-):-)
[Reply]
Da Klugs 08:27 AM 02-16-2009
Originally Posted by Only Fuentes:
How was that Eagles Parade?? :-):-)

Guilty laugh out loud moment. :-)
[Reply]
croatan 08:27 AM 02-16-2009
I smoked one of these the other night courtesy of BeagleOne. He gave it to me and asked for my honest opinion, so I'll give it. It was a decent cigar. Good, but definitely not great. It was very one-dimensional, but the predominant sweet tobacco flavor was pleasant. It got pretty boring toward the end and I let it go out in its last third. I think he said that his experience pretty much mirrored mine.

I appreciate the opportunity to smoke it and can understand why folks would like it for the price. It just didn't seen very inspired or inspiring. The '00 Punch DC I had right afterward was much more satisfying.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 02:28 PM 02-16-2009
Originally Posted by ucla695:
By intangibles does he mean advertising budget spent on ads? :-) :-) The top 25 is an illustration of why I prefer to read ECCJ.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2913
[Reply]
pnoon 02:34 PM 02-16-2009
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2913
:-)

Your point being?
[Reply]
TheRiddick 04:22 PM 02-16-2009
Ad dollars.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3