Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Premium cigars. Wasted on new smokers?
Dark Jester 08:32 PM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Wait a sec...

You've only been smoking cigars for 10 weeks and you're already planning a on a 20 cubic foot-ish freezerdoor?

Holy ****. I think you're the first new guy who has ever listened when we say "that won't be big enough, get a larger humidor/coolerdor".
Yeah buddy. :-) Like I said in the Freezidor thread, I was gonna just build a cabinet, but it takes a lot of time and money that I'd rather spend on more cigars. :-) And I don't really want to fill a vinotemp in 6 months and need another one. I'll just plan ahead and go big. i should be set on space for a year or two unless my wife lets me spend even more... :-)
[Reply]
E-Tx Surveyor 09:04 PM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by Dark Jester:
Yeah buddy. :-) Like I said in the Freezidor thread, I was gonna just build a cabinet, but it takes a lot of time and money that I'd rather spend on more cigars. :-) And I don't really want to fill a vinotemp in 6 months and need another one. I'll just plan ahead and go big. i should be set on space for a year or two unless my wife lets me spend even more... :-)

I do believe the feeling I have right could be jealousy, maybe even green with envy. Here's to ya, partner.
(I'd post a thumbs up smiley here, its a no-go on my Blackberry)
[Reply]
T.G 09:08 PM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by E-Tx Surveyor:

Yeah you could, just type in " : t u " without the spaces and sans quotes.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:08 PM 06-01-2010
try typing ":tu" - without the double quotes.
[Reply]
jjirons69 09:24 PM 06-01-2010
:-) - (It works!)

Shawn, try the newbie trade:

Clicky

Also, try various 5 packs from Cigar Bid or the like. The more you order or win, the better the shipping. You'll start getting a feel for what you like. Only get boxes when you're really sure. No harm in buying 5'ers for a while
[Reply]
Dark Jester 09:25 PM 06-01-2010
I do believe the feeling I have right could be jealousy, maybe even green with envy. Here's to ya, partner.
Not much to be jealous of just yet. :-) My collection currently only consists of around 90 sticks. :-)

I haven't even bought the freezer yet, working on that now. :-) After I get that it will probably be a month or so to retro-fit it for cigar storage.
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 10:25 PM 06-01-2010
I've only been smoking since about August of last year and one of the resources that helped me tighten my grouping has been the "Famous Flight Club" samplers at famous-smoke.com.

They have a bunch of samplers organized in a grid by strength and price point. I might quibble with how they categorize a couple things, but all in all they really helped me learn how to recognize key elements and understand what I liked about which cigars.
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 11:13 PM 06-01-2010
I was thinking of picking up a Patargas black series and possibly a Fuente Hemmingway, but I'm afraid such a fine smoke may be wasted on a new guy.
PM me your address and I will send you a Partagas Black to try.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:37 AM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
When starting out, try as many different blends and brands as you can afford. Try to take notes or research the country of origin(s) of the tobacco. If you find you like Padron's, try some other Nicaraguan smokes to see if its the tobacco you like or just the particular blend. Try different sizes of the same cigar, often each size will have a slightly different profile. Lastly as others have already said, "Smoke what you like" and enjoy! :-)
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Bob is a wise man.
Bob and Peter are wise old men.

:-)
[Reply]
OLS 12:11 PM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
just don't buy large quantities since tastes change surprisingly fast when you first start out.
There is a lot of good advice here, but this might be the most important. Heed it well.
[Reply]
Morgue 07:53 PM 06-02-2010
When I started smoking it was casual cause a few friends were into it. They would give me cheap and sometimes throw away sticks. Occasionally I would be given something better. I don't think I appreciated those sticks like I would now, BUT I knew I liked them, and they were much better than the normal fair I had thus far.

Now I really like cigars and have a list of sticks to try, and some I like to keep on hand. I guess I am saying that those "premium" cigars are what turned it from a "sure I'll go hang out and have a cigar" to a hobby.

Maybe the value isn't the same, but a good cigar is a good cigar.

They weren't all universally accepted "good" cigars either. A Hemingway and a Padron 4000 were what really pushed me over, but I had several punches that got me paying attention.

The more I try the more I learn about what a cigar can taste like, and more about what I like about them.

Thanks to you all that list has grown leaps and bounds...it'll be years before I can even get my hands on all the cigars on my list :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up