Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>any problems with keeping cigars at 77F
Subvet642 01:08 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by ZachF88:
RH beads or Boveda packs?
Well, you'll need 1 Boveda pack for every 25 sticks that the Vinos can hold...
[Reply]
Chingas 01:14 PM 07-07-2010
I bought two coolers. One cooler I bought 2 pounds heartfelt 65 and the oter cooler I bought 2 pounds 70 heartfelt. Do a little taste test.
[Reply]
whodeeni 01:33 PM 07-07-2010
I hope you're using distilled water to make your ice warren....
don't wanna get mold in your humidor brotha...

Originally Posted by warren G.:
I feel you on that one..I live in New Orleans. My humidor was 75F and 65-68ish RH. I just get one medium size ice pack and wrap it with a towel and now my Humidor temp/hum is 68-70F/70RH.

[Reply]
Chingas 01:39 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by whodeeni:
Holy crap! Good point man. Smart.
[Reply]
floydpink 01:53 PM 07-07-2010
I'm curious as to whether or not ANY cigars in the southern hemisphere ever see temps BELOW 77....
[Reply]
kydsid 02:09 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by floydpink:
I'm curious as to whether or not ANY cigars in the southern hemisphere ever see temps BELOW 77....
How are temperatures drastically different in the Southern Hemisphere from those in the Northern Hemisphere?:-)
[Reply]
T.G 03:39 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by warren G.:
I feel you on that one..I live in New Orleans. My humidor was 75F and 65-68ish RH. I just get one medium size ice pack and wrap it with a towel and now my Humidor temp/hum is 68-70F/70RH.

Originally Posted by whodeeni:
Originally Posted by Chingas:
Holy crap! Good point man. Smart.

Oy vey. Major reading comprehension & logic FAIL.

This is ice:

Which, when wrapped in a towel would still end up in a big watery mess inside the cooler, ruining most of the cigars. (Ever fill a cooler full of beer and ice? What happens to the ice?). If, by chance, the ice is placed in a sealed bag, then wrapped, it doesn't matter what it was made from, because it becomes.... <see below>

This is an ICE PACK:

Now, both of you please click the link in my sig. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 03:40 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
How are temperatures drastically different in the Southern Hemisphere from those in the Northern Hemisphere?:-)
They're upside down.
[Reply]
ZachF88 08:56 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
They're upside down.
rofl!
[Reply]
mukky 09:15 PM 07-07-2010
I understand what your getting at, and I kind of agree with this. Hopin someone has some insight into this. The countries where cigars are made are very warm. Good chance alot of our cigars have been sittin in hot places for a good amount of time. From my understanding, some companies freeze the cigars to take care of any beetles, so should it really matter what temp our smokes are stored at? Lookin for any insight into this.
[Reply]
Eleven 09:18 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
My wife is flying out of Lima, Peru at this moment. She called me from the Airport, they had been in Iquitos for 2 weeks, hot hot jungle action there.

She said when they got to Lima, it was around 50F and people were wearing heavy coats and scarves.

Truly upside down :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:13 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by mukky:
I understand what your getting at, and I kind of agree with this. Hopin someone has some insight into this. The countries where cigars are made are very warm. Good chance alot of our cigars have been sittin in hot places for a good amount of time. From my understanding, some companies freeze the cigars to take care of any beetles, so should it really matter what temp our smokes are stored at? Lookin for any insight into this.
In theory, that should take care of any possible eggs, larve. pupae or beetles up until that point. In theory because sometimes things don't work out like planned, maybe a box misses getting frozen, maybe a whole lot of boxes miss getting frozen, maybe something doesn't happen like it's supposed to during the freezing. For the most part though, it's reliable when applied properly and dilligently. And not all manufacturers freeze.

Now, those cigars could still be exposed and reinfested at any time in the future, say in transit or a vendor humidor. Or even in one of our humidors and then sent out as a gift or trade before we discover the problem with our stash.
[Reply]
mukky 04:36 AM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
In theory, that should take care of any possible eggs, larve. pupae or beetles up until that point. In theory because sometimes things don't work out like planned, maybe a box misses getting frozen, maybe a whole lot of boxes miss getting frozen, maybe something doesn't happen like it's supposed to during the freezing. For the most part though, it's reliable when applied properly and dilligently. And not all manufacturers freeze.

Now, those cigars could still be exposed and reinfested at any time in the future, say in transit or a vendor humidor. Or even in one of our humidors and then sent out as a gift or trade before we discover the problem with our stash.
makes sense. Thanks
[Reply]
floydpink 11:30 AM 07-10-2010
What I'm saying is you'll find very few vinotemps in cigar stores if you ever have the opportunity to travel through the Carribean or South America.

What you'll normally see is an open air cafe and often times sea sponge used as a humidor credo in modest cigar stores and a ceiling fan circulating very warm air through the room. (think Hemingway in Havana)

Now , if you go to Havana Humidor on Paradise Island, you'll have a nice airconditioned room to go with the soft leather couches, but in the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua and other places where power blackouts are a daily occurance, you won't find many rooms under 77 degrees.

I'm also saying for those of us who live in warm climates year round, I don't know any who keep their houses below 77 for very long unless they have no care about electric bills.

Not saying cigar beetles don't exist, I'm saying some people get a little obsessive about a few degrees and should probably relax.

Then again, it's your cigars, go ahead and freeze them if you want. Beetlemania!!!
[Reply]
acruce 12:13 PM 07-10-2010
My temps. stay around 77-78 degrees during the summer. I havent had any problems but I do freeze my cigars when I get them.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 12:34 PM 07-10-2010
Not saying cigar beetles don't exist, I'm saying some people get a little obsessive about a few degrees and should probably relax.
That would be me and it is exactly why I have a cooled humi.

Now on the realistic side... I have always wondered about exactly what you considered... How do we ever get a stick that is not beetle hole ridden since there is bound to be less than optimal conditions in many places where cigars are rolled and stored?
[Reply]
markem 12:41 PM 07-10-2010
I like this thread - it has been educational, in more ways than one, to read.

It seems to me that beetles are a low probability, but that hatching only occurs after a sustained time above a pretty much undefined number that may or may not be in the mid-to-high 70s with a possible correlation to the humidity. After 30 years of storing and smoking Cuban cigars, that's all I've managed to glean.

Presently, I allow my cigars to get to the mid-70s a during the summer, since I set my air conditioning at 74* and it gets a little hotter upstairs. So far, no problems and I do not freeze or take any post-buy precautions.

My experience is that I have not had beetles from mid-70s temps, but that's just me. Others may experience different results.

But then, that's what I've read here already, so my post is merely a "me too" :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 02:59 PM 07-10-2010
Originally Posted by acruce:
My temps. stay around 77-78 degrees during the summer. I havent had any problems but I do freeze my cigars when I get them.
Southern Hemisphere in da house.
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 09:04 AM 07-11-2010
My humidor has been at 85F and 78% for the past month and a half here in Montreal. It has been a super hot and humid summer so far. I still have no sign of beetle or mold yet. However, I did freeze my cigars when I got them for one week. This might be why there has been no sign of beetle infestation.
[Reply]
ZachF88 01:46 PM 07-11-2010
Well guys, I went out and bought a portable a/c unit. Now the room that the humidor is in is 71F and 66% rh and my humidor is reading about the same.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up