Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Difference between spice and pepper?
shilala 11:57 AM 11-04-2009
I get spice from most all my smokes. It's because I like it, and it's what I seek out.
It's sort of the flavor from spice jelly beans that ends up in your sinus. Not the taste (which I hate) but the nuance in my sinus.
Pepper is just that.
I can pick up Black Pepper and White Pepper in cigars.
I don't care for either, but I can tolerate white pepper whereas I absolutely hate cigars that leave a black pepper in my sinus, like DPG Blacks, for instance.
If you've never tried white pepper, it's on most tables at chinese restaurants. It's just like Black Pepper without a smell.
That's my take, for what it's worth. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 12:21 PM 11-04-2009
Originally Posted by Bruce:
I break it down to two groups:
"Black spice" pepper, ect.
and "sweet spice" cinnamon, ect.
:-)
The cliff notes version, but these are my thoughts exactly.
[Reply]
ZenSilk 01:04 PM 11-04-2009
I say peppery is a flavor, spice the feeling of spiciness, the bite, the tingle. Pepper flavor of course go hand in hand with spicy, but there is a very distinct difference between pepper flavors and spicy feeling, or even spice flavors. Even different types of pepper have different flavors (white, black, red).

Spice FLAVOR, and the fact you are talking about a flavor I believe should be specified, could be cinnamon/nutmeg/clove, and then still be spicy feeling.
[Reply]
fyrftr 07:11 AM 11-05-2009
Wow,

Lots of good info here guys. There seems to be a lot of different opinons as to what the differences are between spice/pepper and that harsh/heat thing.

The flavor wheel is GREAT! It is much more detailed than the one I've seen before. I don't like how close leather (LOVE that flavor in a cigar) is to horse manure and rancid!! :-)

I'm going to go back over the info in the thread when I have more time, and try to absorb it better.

Keep the opinions coming, I am finding this VERY helpful.
Heres to you Guys

:-)

Tim L.
[Reply]
s15driftking 07:17 AM 11-05-2009
I know i already had a response... i'd like to give an example too.

i consider an Oliva V torpedo to be very peppery.

I consider the camacho triple maduro to be very spicey

then again, all of our pallates won't be exactly the same
[Reply]
aj_chicago 07:52 PM 04-01-2014
My two cents and then I'll duck. The original question is a good one and should have been asked by all the reviewers and a consensus arrived at before using the term "spice" in reviews. It is fairly obvious to me, from reading this thread, that "spice" is different things to different people and others are just wondering what they are all talking about. It is too general a term and ambiguous so it should not be used without other adjectives to modify it. Green spice is not a good one. As pointed out, green is generally an herb and not a spice. You really should say cinnamon or nutmeg or pepper or coriander or celery or cabbage or pickles if that's what you taste. If you don't know what you taste and have to use spice then you shouldn't be reviewing. I don't review as my palate is not so sophisticated. I think that's not such a bad thing. Sweet, earthy, coffee, mocha, cedar I understand and am happy with those. Acid Cigars are spicy! I know no others and am happy with that. To tell you the truth, I don't know if those "sophisticated palates" are really tasting more that I do or just making it up because they can't really tell what it is. I DO like that "Hmmmmm, wonder what that is?" taste in foods. I don't really have it with cigars and don't know that anyone does. If they do, they don't speak for the majority.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up