Page 192 of 350
« First < 92142182190191192 193194202242292 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
The Professor 08:01 AM 03-25-2010
effed up my back bad today. :-)
PeteSB75 08:04 AM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by The Professor:
effed up my back bad today. :-)
That's no good man. Be especially careful getting back. What happened?
The Professor 08:07 AM 03-25-2010
t-bar rows. was still pretty light for me -- just 4 plates. first few reps were fine. then, all of a sudden: POP! :-) it was like a bomb going off in my lower back/right hip (I can't tell). the bomb sent a shockwave down my right leg and I dropped the weight immediately.

best as I can tell, the pain is located in muscles and the hip, not the spine; so I don't think it was a disc or anything like that.

I need a witch doctor nonetheless....
icehog3 10:40 AM 03-25-2010
F@ck....been there, done that...recently, even. Hope it heals up fast for you, Dokk.
The Professor 11:10 AM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
F@ck....been there, done that...recently, even. Hope it heals up fast for you, Dokk.
Thanks, Admiral.

I have an appointment in an hour. I'm home now and will be on ice until I leave. :-)
The Professor 01:30 PM 03-25-2010
I have the best doctor ever.

I took a look, ran some neuro tests, then gave me a full back adjustment, a site-injection of his personal cortisone & anesthetic cocktail, and a scrip for Lodine and some muscle relaxer. And he didn't even lecture me about abusing my body! :-)

I still hurt; but not nearly as bad as when I went in. Plus, I haven't taken the drugs yet.

:-)
PeteSB75 01:59 PM 03-25-2010
Lifting is abusing your body? Glad to hear you are feeling better! :-)
The Professor 02:05 PM 03-25-2010
Some folks think so (well ... when you're not just doing curlz, crunches, and flyes). :-)

Thanks, Pete. I'm still sore and tight; but I'm much better off. :-)
PeteSB75 03:17 PM 03-25-2010
Some folks think so (well ... when you're not just doing curlz, crunches, and flyes).

Thanks, Pete. I'm still sore and tight; but I'm much better off. :-)
Could always do some yoga :-):-):-) :-)
The Professor 05:11 PM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
Could always do some yoga :-):-):-) :-)
Admiral? Frank? Dave? Anyone????? :-)
BigFrank 06:22 PM 03-25-2010
I would follow Dr.s orders. Take two weeks off. I wouldnt even do cardio. Stretch, foam roll. Heat ice all that ****. Just give it time. Eat tons of good fats, and fish keep that inflammation down. Work from there, but first couple of weeks off I wouldnt even get under the bar I'm talking machine work. 4 weeks of a set back now, is a lot better than months down the road.

Not to sound like an ass here but I think you were doing too much there brother. This may have just been a way of your body telling you it needs a break. If you are going to live on the heavy side of things, your body may not feel like it is over worked, but trust me it needs it's rest. Monotheism is key here brother.
BigFrank 06:26 PM 03-25-2010
Bench last night roughly 7 weeks out from meet.
380x5,5,5 Smoke show
Inclines
Close Grip Rest Pause
Hold Out 545
Cable Extensions
Press Downs

Fin.

Hit every rep all weights last night despite going out late the night before. Was working on about 3 1/2 hrs sleep tops.
The Professor 08:22 PM 03-25-2010
I plan to follow the doc's order, Frank ... and he actually said it wasn't that bad. He's a DO with board certification in sports medicine. He told me to stretch and not put it under load until the pain's gone; but he didn't recommend any kind of prolonged "off time." It's all tissue aggravation.

That said, I really haven't been lifting "heavy" for a month or so. I've been more concerned with speed and explosiveness. And with my recent jump into jiu-jitsu, I'm more interested right now in increasing my endurance and focusing on some problem areas -- mostly to get better at pull-ups/chins, rows, strengthening my grip, and some very specific muscle groups. Haven't done heavy squats or deads in a while and don't plan to until later this summer.

Anyway, I'll be laying low for a while. I'll head to BJJ tomorrow for instruction; but I won't be rolling. I'll ease back in as my body dictates I can.
The Professor 10:36 AM 03-28-2010
Been hitting the gym and/or BJJ each day and am recovering very well. No rolling live at BJJ and no weights in the gym.

Gym has been cardio (which has improved drastically over the last two weeks), pull-ups/chins, and various mat stretches and exercises/drills (e.g. triangle drills and shrimping drills).

Today I did 100 pulls/chins (assisted, of course), some farmer's walks, yeses/noes (neck), reverse crunches, judo pushups, and lots of triangle drills. I also did a bunch of stretching and am feeling pretty darned good right now.

Back is still sore. Kind of feels like I got in a fight and got a little beat up; but the pain is manageable and it's mostly soreness rather than pain. If I'm still feeling like this at the end of the week, I'll schedule a follow-up and probably get another adjustment from the doc.

My BJJ coach -- who had back surgery 6 months ago -- said he'd roll with me while I'm recovering b/c he can be gentle. We'll see how I'm feeling this week. Probably still won't roll tomorrow; but by Friday, I might feel up for a light roll with coach.
icehog3 12:27 PM 03-28-2010
but by Friday, I might feel up for a light roll with coach.
So wrong, Dokk. :-)

Didn't have much motivation driving to the gym to do back today, so I switched it up and did some explosive, single handed movements to start. Ended up getting a pretty good workout for a day that I didn't think I would be into it.
The Professor 01:33 PM 03-28-2010
So wrong, Dokk. :-)
awe damnit! :-)
PeteSB75 07:00 AM 03-29-2010
Went in yesterday morning. Deads were just not there. Missed the first time with 315, hit the second, and missed the third, so I moved on to squats, which were very good. hit 285x5, 315x5,5. First time doing those heavy in more than a month and my hamstrings were sore all day and this morning. Finished up with some hanging leg raises. Off today.
The Professor 07:42 AM 03-29-2010
Did chest & tris with my partner toady.

Pull-ups (assisted): 4 x 10
Dips (assisted): 3 x 10
Floor presses: 3 x 10 @ 135 (didn't want to over-do it with the back still hurting)
Incline barbell presses: 135 x 5, 6, 6; 155 x 4
Dumbbell flat presses: 60 x 6, 55 x 8, 8, 7
Medicine ball: 3 x 20 w/20# soft ball (throw from behind head straight to ground)

Followed that up with a bunch of stretching and a few sets of triangle drills (which are a pretty killer core exercise)

All-in-all, it was a pretty alright day. My back is feeling better. I still feel like someone punched or kicked me in my pelvis and in my kidneys; but I think it's better than yesterday ... and it's certainly better than last week. I definitely will NOT be doing any leg or lower back lifts this week -- I'll just keep up with my pull-ups, chins, pull-downs, etc.
icehog3 08:03 AM 03-29-2010
Glad the back is improving, Dokk. :-)

Legs for me today, wish me luck. :-)
The Professor 08:14 AM 03-29-2010
Glad the back is improving, Dokk. :-)

Legs for me today, wish me luck. :-)
good luck. :-)

please do some squats or something for me. I love working legs and it kills me that /i can't right now. :-)
Page 192 of 350
« First < 92142182190191192 193194202242292 > Last »
Up