Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 19 of 352
« First < 9171819 20212969119 > Last »
General Discussion>First Firearm Thread.
floydpink 05:44 PM 02-22-2009
sorry Roland. Good pics and glad to see some nice firearms.
JE3146 09:12 PM 02-22-2009
Originally Posted by floydpink:
Well played>?? I doubt you even took the pics. I'll even guess you googled them and went through a lot of work organizing them and posting them hoping someone would be impressed.
Quite possibly copyrighted material as well.

Poorly played, and might I suggest introducing yourself in the new inmate section??

You wasted your first 4 posts making a jackass of yourself, but fortunately did it in the firearms thread, not a trade or pif thread.
Was this even necessary?
Roland of Gilead 09:13 AM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by JE3146:
Was this even necessary?

No worries.

I should have used more smilies!

:-)

floydpink 01:13 PM 02-23-2009
It's not you Roland, nor your lack of smiley faces, and it wasn't necessary Jordan. It's ME, I am an asshole most of the time and should think before I post ALL the time. Again, I am sorry for my stupid post. Amazing they gave me a concealed weapon permit, huh????

Anyway, for those who use guns, I was wondering if anyone feels there is any merit to carrying a speedloader for a revolver? Personally, I find it cumbersome and doubt I would ever use it.

Lastly, does anyone have any experience with Crimson Trace laser grips?
elderboy02 01:46 PM 02-23-2009
It's not you Roland, nor your lack of smiley faces, and it wasn't necessary Jordan. It's ME, I am an asshole most of the time and should think before I post ALL the time. Again, I am sorry for my stupid post. Amazing they gave me a concealed weapon permit, huh????

Anyway, for those who use guns, I was wondering if anyone feels there is any merit to carrying a speedloader for a revolver? Personally, I find it cumbersome and doubt I would ever use it.

Don't worry about it floyd. Everyone makes mistakes.

Speedloaders - I have a few of them. I don't carry them on a regular basis. I too find them cumbersome. I only carry them on certain occasions (going to the range, going to very bad neighborhoods).

Crimson Trace Laser Grips - I have them on my Glock 23. I abosolutely love them. I also carry my G23 and they do not get in the way. I actually find that they help me grip the gun better. I like the ability to think that if I ever had to lay on my side and shoot my gun, I could just use my laser to find my target. I think it would be hard to line up the sights horizontally. Also, imagine trying to line up your sights with one hand.
Roland of Gilead 01:48 PM 02-23-2009

I don't think I would carry a speed loader for a revolver. If I was to carry a revolver (I'm thinking about a S&W 340PD) it's because I want to drop it in my pocket and forget about it. A speed loader would be more poop in my pockets/on my belt. I normally carry a Glock 23 and a mag or two.

I have used Crimson Trace a few times. They're based here in Beaverton, Oregon and they have been to a few matches that I have been to. One time, they used a Sig in .45ACP as a "pick up gun" and it was equipped with the grips. I didn't really even notice the laser because I was using the sites (it was daytime). I have seen people use them with great effect in night matches though.

-Mark.
JE3146 02:06 PM 02-23-2009

No worries floyd :-)

As for the speedloader, I can't help but think of Boondock Saints.

("There's 9 bodies genius, what were you gonna do? LAUGH THE LAST 3 TO DEATH? FUNNY MAN" :-))

Some say if you need more than 6 shots, you don't need a handgun, you need a SWAT team.

The odds of you needing more than 6 shots are 1 in a million instances where you'd need a gun. My philosophy is if you're already preparing for that 1 in a million chance where you might need a gun, what's the harm in preparing for that 1 in 1 trillion chance you'll need more than 6 shots :-) :-)
Catfish 02:17 PM 02-23-2009
Malfunctions happen. Even though my XDm holds 17, if the first round jams or double feeds and I must perform a failure / clearing drill, I will need a 2nd magazine or I'm out of action.

And that isn't a good thing.

I will not be shot for lack of shooting back.
Roland of Gilead 02:48 PM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by Catfish:
Malfunctions happen. Even though my XDm holds 17, if the first round jams or double feeds and I must perform a failure / clearing drill, I will need a 2nd magazine or I'm out of action.

With an autoloader, I agree. But with a small 5 or 6 shot revolver... Not so much.

-Roland.
floydpink 02:56 PM 02-23-2009
I've been told that he average gunfight, or incident, imvolves 3 total shots, takes place under 7 yards, and lasts less than 10 seconds, so if anything, I might try out those speed strips, which don't take up much space at all.

I like the Crimson Traces, but really like the new grips the're putting on the S&W Airweight 642 I carry. I'm almost positive they make a model with the traces on them, so maybe I should hold one before plopping down the $250 for the grips.

They are definitely a nice modification and, if nothing else, the psychological effect of a laser on a badguy's chest might avoid a situation I hope to never actually be in, but am prepared and practicing to be in if needed.

I'm glad that there's a firemarm thread here as it is one of the first I go to lately, especially after drinking.:-)
floydpink 03:02 PM 02-23-2009

That's precisely the reason I traded in my Kel Tec P11, the lightest 9 mm made.

It was very concealable, but misfed at least once every 10 rounds. I was in forum that encouraged new users to put 200 rounds through it before trusting it as well as taking a dremel and polishing the feed ramp and doing light sanding inside the slide, etc. They call it a "Kel Tec fluff and buff". The problems I mentioned are common in Kel Tecs.

Combined with the large amount of plastic and 9 pound and very long trigger pull, it wasn't a gun I wanted to trust with my life, no matter how easy it was to carry.

I've always been a fan of revolvers due to the lack of buttons, moving parts, safeties, etc, as well as the fact they go "bang" EVERY time you pull the trigger.

I couldn't be happier with my Smith and Wesson J Frame.
bonjing 03:13 PM 02-23-2009
well if you do want to carry a speed loader for a revolver, don't forget the speed strips that you can use versus the traditional speed loaders. just like anything else it takes practice to use them properly, but i have seen reloads done pretty quick with the speed strips.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=243389
TheManWithNoName 03:33 PM 02-23-2009
Generic pic of my SA XDM.40. Will post the pic of .40, torch, knife, etc. later when I get home.

Generic pic of my S&W 410 in .40 cal.

Those two look good Catfish. I've been looking at some Glocks, the G30 and G36, in .45 for when I apply for my concealed carry permit in a few months. But I liked the looks of those SA's also.
Catfish 05:14 PM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName:
I've been looking at some Glocks, the G30 and G36, in .45 for when I apply for my concealed carry permit in a few months. But I liked the looks of those SA's also.

My first and best possible piece of advice to anyone considering their first handgun:

Find a range that allows you to rent / shoot several models of weapon before you spend $400 - $1000 on a gun only to find you are uncomfortable holding it to fire it.

Even though most models available have many of the same / similar features you may be desire, the MOST important aspect of a gun ( ESPECIALLY one used for personal defense / concealed carry ) is the degree to which you are comfortable operating it.

The grip centerline to barrel angle makes some weapons feel very different to bring on target comfortably to an individual.

Also, the width of a grip makes certain guns feel more or less comfortable to a shooter.

In my personal case, the grip to barrel angle of a 1911 is perfect. The Springfield XDM's angle is very close to that of a 1911. Also, for being a high capacity automatic, the grip width is very narrow. A feature I find extremely valuable as my hands are not very large.

There are many, many aspects to an automatic or even a revolver to consider when buying a gun. The best thing you can do is be patient and explore your options before dropping the amount of money you will for a gun.

Remember, like anything else, as soon as you walk out of the place you purchased it from, the weapon is now considered used and very rarely will you get what if not more than you paid for it should you choose to sell it.

Any questions you have, please ask. Any answer I can't give I'll be more than happy to direct you to a place you can find one.

Good luck on your search and I hope you find something that is comforting, if not comfortable to carry.
floydpink 05:24 PM 02-23-2009
That's great advice Catfish. I like Glocks a lot and love Sig Sauers. Glocks never feel right in my hand though and Sigs are a bit too pricey for a second gun.

I would advise anyone thinking a getting a concealeled weapon to take the class and file the papers now. Once you get the gun and start wanting to carry it, the 90 day wait for the permit will seem like a lifetime.

Start the process now, even if you're not sure what firearm you want to carry.

Also if you find a small Glock, like a G19 available on the shelf, you're lucky. I never see them and I go to a very large dealer. Then again, I can't even find short barrell Speer Gold Dots that aren't backordered.

PS. That XDM 40 is really nice. I shot one.
smokeyandthebandit05 10:27 AM 02-24-2009
Alright, Im on the hunt for ammo. Particularly .308 and 30-30. I went to that ammunitiontogo.com and I had some 30-30 in my basket and when I went back last night my basket was empty and there was no 30-30 in 150 gr. even mentioned on the website. Does anyone know anywhere that still has ammo?
smokeyandthebandit05 11:49 AM 02-24-2009
I found a pretty good website for ammo

http://outdoormarksman.com

They have reasonable prices and seem to have a good stock. Also they have 2 different warehouses for east and west coast orders.

I bought Federal 30-30 at 13.99 a box
and
Federal .308 at 17.50 a box
TheManWithNoName 04:22 PM 02-24-2009
Thanks for that advice Catfish, it sounds good. I've only ever fired a Glock .45 and a .357 magnum, double-action only, but the Glock was extremely accurate and easy to manage for me. But I may try out some more at a range, that definitely couldn't hurt.
floydpink 04:51 PM 02-24-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
Alright, Im on the hunt for ammo. Particularly .308 and 30-30. I went to that ammunitiontogo.com and I had some 30-30 in my basket and when I went back last night my basket was empty and there was no 30-30 in 150 gr. even mentioned on the website. Does anyone know anywhere that still has ammo?
I was searching and searching for Speer Gold Dot short barrel and ammunitiontogo was the only place I found it. They sent me a confirmation that also said it will be up to 9 days before they even ship it due to the extremely high sales volume.

Ammunition To Go
------------------------------------------------------
Order Number: 97258
Detailed Invoice: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catal...order_id=97258
Date Ordered: Monday 23 February, 2009

The comments for your order are

Thank you for your order. Due to an extremely high number of orders, your product will be shipped out within 9 - 12 working business days.
gpugliese 05:09 PM 02-24-2009
I received my LTC in the mail today, much much faster than I expected (only took about 4 weeks versus the estimated 10-12 week wait I had heard as of late).

I'm quite happy. :-)
Page 19 of 352
« First < 9171819 20212969119 > Last »
Up