Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 19 of 31
« First < 9171819 202129 > Last »
Sports>*2010 MLB Thread*
VirtualSmitty 01:55 PM 06-02-2010
Gotta say, surprising year so far. Yanks still behind Tampa, the Reds still in front of St Louis, San Diego still on top in their division, Atlanta ahead of Philly, Texas and Oakland in front of Anaheim, two perfect games and a no hitter already. Hot damn, wonder what the trading deadline is gonna look like.

Draft coming up soon as well. I wonder where the wonder kid Bryce Harper will go, will be interesting to see if the Nats use their pick on him.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:04 PM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
Draft coming up soon as well. I wonder where the wonder kid Bryce Harper will go, will be interesting to see if the Nats use their pick on him.
Very curious to see who ends up with Harper. I would say the Nats, but the fact that the kid has Boras as an agent...:-) :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 02:09 PM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Very curious to see who ends up with Harper. I would say the Nats, but the fact that the kid has Boras as an agent...:-) :-)
Indeed. They had to pay Strasbourg fifteen million I think, and they are going to need some cash to resign Dunn and Willingham after the year if they want to have any offense go forward. Don't know if they have the money, but he could be hard to pass up. Best hitting catcher prospect since Mauer. I doubt the Pirates would sign him either, Baltimore at number three already has a pretty good young catcher, maybe KC or the Indians if they are willing to pony up some cash.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:14 PM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
Indeed. They had to pay Strasbourg fifteen million I think, and they are going to need some cash to resign Dunn and Willingham after the year if they want to have any offense go forward. Don't know if they have the money, but he could be hard to pass up. Best hitting catcher prospect since Mauer. I doubt the Pirates would sign him either, Baltimore at number three already has a pretty good young catcher, maybe KC or the Indians if they are willing to pony up some cash.
Cleveland has a cathing prospect in Triple A and will be called up very soon...Carlos Santana. I agree, Pirates will not drop the kind of money he will be asking. And with Weiters, Baltimore won't take him. KC might be his destination. I would love to see him go to the Nats and catch Strasbourg. I don't believe they will re-sign Dunn...he glove is garbage...but damn his bat is sexy!! Would LOVE for my Mets to grab him...but he wil not be around that late.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 02:19 PM 06-02-2010
Cleveland has a cathing prospect in Triple A and will be called up very soon...Carlos Santana. I agree, Pirates will not drop the kind of money he will be asking. And with Weiters, Baltimore won't take him. KC might be his destination. I would love to see him go to the Nats and catch Strasbourg. I don't believe they will re-sign Dunn...he glove is garbage...but damn his bat is sexy!! Would LOVE for my Mets to grab him...but he wil not be around that late.
I'd like to see the Nats grab him too, they have been the worst team in baseball too long, they should get the top picks. Dunn is better at first then he was in left, he won't win a gold glove, but like you said, his bat is scary. He fits in nice there hitting behind Zimmerman.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:07 PM 06-02-2010
Sad day for MLB umpire Jim Joyce....even sadder day for Armando Galarraga. This young Detroit Tigers pitcher PITCHED a perfect game against the Indians tonight only to have out 27 blown on a terrible call by Joyce (an otherwise outstanding umpire). Loved how Joyce stood and took his ass-chewing from Jim Leyland aftger the final out. Was classic!!!
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 07:13 PM 06-02-2010
Sad day for MLB umpire Jim Joyce....even sadder day for Armando Galarraga. This young Detroit Tigers pitcher PITCHED a perfect game against the Indians tonight only to have out 27 blown on a terrible call by Joyce (an otherwise outstanding umpire). Loved how Joyce stood and took his ass-chewing from Jim Leyland aftger the final out. Was classic!!!
He really blew it, Galaragga had a perfect game.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:09 PM 06-02-2010
Jim Joyce admitted after the game that he blew the call after seeing the replay. Even if it was a bang bang play for the 27th out to end a perfect game the call HAS to go to the defense.
[Reply]
3SmokesaRound 09:59 PM 06-02-2010

Joyce sure didn't appreciate the earfull he was getting from Miguel Cabrera between pitches after the fact. I go back forth about replay in baseball (other than HR's) and this play kind of pushed me over to the replay side of the fence. Even on a close call, which that wasn't, you'd think the umpire would error on the side of the pitcher given the fact he had already went 26 outs.

BTW - the play by Austin Jackson in center was freaking OUTSTANDING, but now will be overlooked since it wasn't a perfect game.
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:05 PM 06-02-2010
The MLB crew has the right idea for replay to work in baseball. It will require a 5th umpire with the immediate replays who can send a change of call down to the crew chief. No sending umpires off the field to look at the replay. It will allow for replay without the delay.
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:56 AM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
The MLB crew has the right idea for replay to work in baseball. It will require a 5th umpire with the immediate replays who can send a change of call down to the crew chief. No sending umpires off the field to look at the replay. It will allow for replay without the delay.
I'm all for replay in MLB as long as it doesn't delay the game too much. And definetly not for use of balls & strikes.
[Reply]
Starscream 06:36 AM 06-03-2010
Galaraga knows in his heart that he did it. He's a class act by saying nothing to Joyce after that bad call. He merely smiled. I would have probably hit the ump for that call.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:16 AM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Galaraga knows in his heart that he did it. He's a class act by saying nothing to Joyce after that bad call. He merely smiled. I would have probably hit the ump for that call.
Totally agree.

The umpire was a jackass merely for the fact that even if it was a close call to him, anyone in their right mind would have given the benefit of the doubt to a pitcher for which that was the last out for a perfect game.

Truly a shame.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:48 AM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
+1...he and the Tigers handled it with complete class!! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:06 PM 06-03-2010
"Galarraga, who received a new cherry red Chevrolet Corvette convertible from General Motors during a pregame ceremony, shook Joyce's hand. Joyce gave him a pat on the back before Galarraga headed back to the dugout."

CLASSY!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:17 AM 06-04-2010
I like his comment he made after the game. "I will tell my son I pitched a perfect game, it is not in the record book, but I will show him the dvd."
[Reply]
Blueface 09:31 AM 06-04-2010
"Galarraga, who received a new cherry red Chevrolet Corvette convertible from General Motors during a pregame ceremony, shook Joyce's hand. Joyce gave him a pat on the back before Galarraga headed back to the dugout."

CLASSY!! :-) :-)
Why you don't know is what he said under his breath after he got the pat on the back from Joyce.
I have an inside source that tells me it went something like this:

Me cago en la madre que te pario. Eres un come mierda ciego. Que carajo estabas pensando te leventaste este dia. Eres un idiota.
[Reply]
The Poet 09:32 AM 06-04-2010
I am no fan of the "replay" option in baseball, for a number of reasons. But I do find it interesting that the same group of people who most vehemently oppose the replay also so loudly object to the length of baseball games . . . namely, the umpire corps.

Hey, if they don't like getting a 6-figure income for hanging out at the ballpark for a few hours a day, they should try working 8 hours a day for minimum wage in a REAL job instead.
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:37 AM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
I am no fan of the "replay" option in baseball, for a number of reasons. But I do find it interesting that the same group of people who most vehemently oppose the replay also so loudly object to the length of baseball games . . . namely, the umpire corps.

Hey, if they don't like getting a 6-figure income for hanging out at the ballpark for a few hours a day, they should try working 8 hours a day for minimum wage in a REAL job instead.
Great point Thomas!! :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 02:14 PM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
I like his comment he made after the game. "I will tell my son I pitched a perfect game, it is not in the record book, but I will show him the dvd."
:-) Nice!:-)
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Why you don't know is what he said under his breath after he got the pat on the back from Joyce.
I have an inside source that tells me it went something like this:

Me cago en la madre que te pario. Eres un come mierda ciego. Que carajo estabas pensando te leventaste este dia. Eres un idiota.
I think that Gallaraga will be thanking Joyce down the road. Gallaraga will forever be known as the one who was robbed of the perfect game. If he had pitched a perfect game, he probably wouldn't be as famous/infamous. Anybody remember Dallas Braden? He pitched a perfect game last month, but most have already forgotten about him.

It still sucks that he was robbed by a stupid call, but I think down the road it will help him.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 31
« First < 9171819 202129 > Last »
Up