Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 188 of 270
« First < 88138178186187188 189190198238 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
fxpose 12:28 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by ucla695:
Interesting. Might try the hanging method in my WSM.
Your WSM body might not be tall enough to hang ribs. You probably might have to rig a hanger rod at least a few inches above your main grate level. Easy to fabricate with some rebar and a welder. :-)
[Reply]
EricF 10:21 AM 03-16-2013
First time doing ribs on the Traeger! Can't wait till these bad boys are done!!! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:30 AM 03-16-2013
What time is dinner, Eric?
:-)
[Reply]
EricF 10:33 AM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by pnoon:
What time is dinner, Eric?
6pm! If you get on a plane now, you should make it in time! :-)
[Reply]
EricF 05:31 PM 03-16-2013
And the finished product!

Paired with my garlicy cole slaw and onion rings! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 07:39 PM 03-16-2013
Sorry I missed dinner.
Looks yummy.
[Reply]
Steve 08:18 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by EricF:

Paired with my garlicy cole slaw and onion rings!
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Zane 08:22 PM 03-16-2013
Nothing like some great ribs!
[Reply]
fxpose 05:39 PM 03-22-2013
What I will smoke this weekend will depend on what I find appealing at Restaurant Depot tomorrow morning. Nice BBQ weather here coming up this weekend.
[Reply]
BigCat 09:56 AM 03-23-2013
Just ordered a WSM 22.5 for my first smoker as a combined birthday present from a few family members. I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but I think it is going to be fun learning. I think this thread is largely responsible for my interest.
[Reply]
T.G 10:13 AM 03-23-2013
Originally Posted by BigCat:
Just ordered a WSM 22.5 for my first smoker as a combined birthday present from a few family members. I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but I think it is going to be fun learning. I think this thread is largely responsible for my interest.

You'll be fine, WSM's are pretty easy to use. If MACS can crank out good bbq with one, anyone can.

Virtual bullet has some step-by-step recipes w/ vent positions and all here:
http://virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

If you aren't familiar with the "Minion method" of lighting and fueling, it has some significant advantages over the methods presented in the book that comes with the WSM:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 10:15 AM 03-23-2013
Originally Posted by EricF:

Paired with my garlicy cole slaw and onion rings! :-)
:-)...I thin Eric needs to relocate to the West coast!

...go smoke em Colin!!!
[Reply]
BigCat 08:19 AM 03-24-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
You'll be fine, WSM's are pretty easy to use. If MACS can crank out good bbq with one, anyone can.

Virtual bullet has some step-by-step recipes w/ vent positions and all here:
http://virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

If you aren't familiar with the "Minion method" of lighting and fueling, it has some significant advantages over the methods presented in the book that comes with the WSM:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html
Thanks, Adam! Can you recommend me a good digital thermometer?
[Reply]
T.G 09:54 AM 03-24-2013
It depends on what you want from the thermometer.

If you want remote temps, then the Maverick ET372 w/ dual probes (one for the meat, one for the cooking chamber, aka "the pit") seems to be a popular choice.

If you are thinking about getting an automatic draft controller for the WSM, both the Stoker Controller and the DigiQ units have multiple thermometers built in, as they need to monitor both pit temp and meat temp to be able to control the blower properly. Some units have remote reading capability via ethernet / wireless network.

If your lid gauge is calibrated, and once you get to know your smoker, you can do a lot with just a digital pen thermometer. The Thermopens are excellent, but pricey.

[Reply]
BigCat 11:26 AM 03-24-2013

If you want remote temps, then the Maverick ET372 w/ dual probes (one for the meat, one for the cooking chamber, aka "the pit") seems to be a popular choice.

If you are thinking about getting an automatic draft controller for the WSM, both the Stoker Controller and the DigiQ units have multiple thermometers built in, as they need to monitor both pit temp and meat temp to be able to control the blower properly. Some units have remote reading capability via ethernet / wireless network.

If your lid gauge is calibrated, and once you get to know your smoker, you can do a lot with just a digital pen thermometer. The Thermopens are excellent, but pricey.

Excellent, thanks. I'm just looking for the first option you mentioned. I'm not thinking of automatic draft control just yet. Thanks a lot!
[Reply]
OLS 08:22 AM 03-25-2013
That was some wind. I noticed my dog is sleeping on my smoker cover this morning. Didn't want to disturb
him to fuss at him. WASTED another weekend. Sure wish Ribs would go on sale. There have been 2 "SALES"
this year already, both of them were surely some kind of joke.
[Reply]
hammondc 05:08 PM 03-30-2013
First brisket ever. Pics as soon as I host them out on fotobucket.
[Reply]
dijit 02:46 PM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever:
and all sliced up.
Ok I'm trying this on Sat but instead of sausage inside I will be using a split pork tenderloin with orange marmalade stuffing and my own dry rub between the stuffing and the roast. Pics if it works.
[Reply]
pektel 08:30 AM 04-03-2013
Thanks, Adam! Can you recommend me a good digital thermometer?

I just got a Maverick ET732 as a belated Christmas present from my dad. This thing ROCKS. I can play with my kids now instead of babysitting the smoker! Just bring the remote unit wherever you are (within something like 300 feet) and you have smoker temp/meat temp at the touch of a button. You can also set max/min temp alerts, so you aren't overcooking anything. I've only used it to smoke a pork loin so far, but it came out awesome - super flavorful and juicy. Previous pork loins always were a touch on the dry side. Cant wait to try it with a pork butt or brisket.

Mine also came with a temp guide, which is stuck to the side of my fridge. This is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wirel...averick+et+732
[Reply]
BigCat 11:46 AM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by pektel:
I just got a Maverick ET732 as a belated Christmas present from my dad. This thing ROCKS. I can play with my kids now instead of babysitting the smoker! Just bring the remote unit wherever you are (within something like 300 feet) and you have smoker temp/meat temp at the touch of a button. You can also set max/min temp alerts, so you aren't overcooking anything. I've only used it to smoke a pork loin so far, but it came out awesome - super flavorful and juicy. Previous pork loins always were a touch on the dry side. Cant wait to try it with a pork butt or brisket.

Mine also came with a temp guide, which is stuck to the side of my fridge. This is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wirel...averick+et+732
Glad to hear the review! Mine just arrived the other day. Still waiting to do my first smoke. I'l be gone this weekend, so it's looking like the weekend after. Trying to decide whether to do baby backs for 12 people as a first run or whether I should experiment on my own a bit before subjecting other people to my final product.
[Reply]
Page 188 of 270
« First < 88138178186187188 189190198238 > Last »
Up