Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 188 of 350
« First < 88138178186187188 189190198238288 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
DBall 09:17 AM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
Now the question is, do I go to the gym...?
the answer is yes.... heading there now :-)
The Professor 09:28 AM 03-12-2010
I don't know that I'm broken ... but I'm certainly out of gas. :-)

Superset:
1.) high box squats @ 315 x 5 reps
2.) sumo deads @ 225 x 5 reps
-----did 5 sets of that cycle ... enough rest between each to catch my breath

Reverse hypers: slow, no swing, with a pause at the top -- 4 sets of 8

Pull-down abs: 185 x 10, 200 x 10, 10

Pull-throughs: 150 x 10 -- I was gonna do more, but I was just too spent

The superset really killed me, folks. I was so frickin' beat (and still am) that it's hard to describe. Probably didn't help that I ate like sh*t yesterday and smoked 3 cigars. :-)

This weekend is rest ... real rest. I don't even know that I'll go into the gym. If I do, I promise it'll only be for cardio.
DBall 11:21 AM 03-12-2010
I was talking to a friend I work with who said I was doing too many reps... I should be trying things and adding weight til there's nothing left in me. I gave that a try today... also cut out the presses as I think those hurt my elbow.

I had NO IDEA I could move some of the weight I did... I don't know if it was a fluke but I surprised the hell out of myself.

- ran/walked a mile

- Curls (natural grip) 72# x 5, 84# x 10, 96# x 4, 108# x 2, dead.

- Assisted Pull Ups (started w/ wide grip, then went nat) 10 @ 50# assist, 5 at 40# assist, 10 @ 25# assist, 5 @ 20 # assist, dead.

- Chest Fly 96# x 5, 120# x 10, could even move 132# an inch... dead.

- Rows 70# x 5, 90# x 5, 100# x 4, 110# 3, 120# x 2, 130# x 2, dead.

Then legs... this is where I really surprised the hell out of my self. I've never really tried to go as hard as I could... always tried to do lots of reps

- Leg Extensions - started at 96# and did 5 reps each in 12# increments to 228# :-) :-)

- Leg Press - started at 144# and did 5 reps each to 240# :-) :-)

My legs felt like I could've done more, but by that point I was sure I would throw up or die (or both).

I didn't even bother doing abs.

I am ****ing SPENT!
PeteSB75 11:24 AM 03-12-2010
Gotta find the limit before you know where to work to push it. :-)

I was talking to a friend I work with who said I was doing too many reps... I should be trying things and adding weight til there's nothing left in me. I gave that a try today... also cut out the presses as I think those hurt my elbow.

I had NO IDEA I could move some of the weight I did... I don't know if it was a fluke but I surprised the hell out of myself.

- ran/walked a mile

- Curls (natural grip) 72# x 5, 84# x 10, 96# x 4, 108# x 2, dead.

- Assisted Pull Ups (started w/ wide grip, then went nat) 10 @ 50# assist, 5 at 40# assist, 10 @ 25# assist, 5 @ 20 # assist, dead.

- Chest Fly 96# x 5, 120# x 10, could even move 132# an inch... dead.

Then legs... this is where I really surprised the hell out of my self. I've never really tried to go as hard as I could... always tried to do lots of reps

- Leg Extensions - started at 96# and did 5 reps each in 12# increments to 228# :-) :-)

- Leg Press - started at 144# and did 5 reps each to 240# :-) :-)

My legs felt like I could've done more, but by that point I was sure I would throw up or die (or both).

I didn't even bother doing abs.

I am ****ing SPENT!

BigFrank 05:21 PM 03-12-2010

!
I would be careful with your presses / extension with you elbow issue. high reps is where you would want to stay in regards to your elbow. I would suggest investing in a nice elbow sleeve, get neoprene I would recommend getting a good one that isnt a piece of you know what. Keeping the area warm during training will work wonders.
I would totally eliminate extension movements and anything neutral grip for a period of time. These from my experience will aggravate your Brachioradialis causing unwanted elbow pain which is usually confused with tricep issues. Pressing or the above exercises with high reps will help
strengthen the area first slowly then work from there. High reps with little to no weight and/or tension.
It is good to push yourself from time to time. Just remember as a training tip, going balls to the wall all the time will drain your body.
DBall 08:51 AM 03-13-2010
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
I would be careful with your presses / extension with you elbow issue. high reps is where you would want to stay in regards to your elbow. I would suggest investing in a nice elbow sleeve, get neoprene I would recommend getting a good one that isnt a piece of you know what. Keeping the area warm during training will work wonders.
I will certainly check into that

I would totally eliminate extension movements and anything neutral grip for a period of time. These from my experience will aggravate your Brachioradialis causing unwanted elbow pain which is usually confused with tricep issues.
I actually cut ALL "pushing" movements out. Only doing pulling stuff. As for a press-type thing, the guy took me to the free weight room and we did dumbells (really light, like 15-20#). I can not push ANYTHING natural grip... even doing the arm straight up, bend back, straight up thing w/ 5# that my PT wants me to do KILLS. I realized with his help that a couple angles hit it just different enough that it's not horrible.

Pressing or the above exercises with high reps will help
strengthen the area first slowly then work from there. High reps with little to no weight and/or tension.
It is good to push yourself from time to time. Just remember as a training tip, going balls to the wall all the time will drain your body.
I only really tried to go balls to the wall yesterday. Thank you for the tip though... are you saying I should go back and forth between reps and balls out? My thing is that I never seem to be sore the day after...

The only thing that hurts today is my elbow... the rest of my body (legs included) don't really even feel like I did anything yesterday. Is that normal? Does that mean I'm doing something wrong? I would think I'd be sore after how much I did yesterday.
The Professor 08:55 AM 03-13-2010
Off day. For reals.

18 minutes of cardio including 12 minutes of HIIT in the mix

100 reps of abs stuff (cable rope crunches @ 180 x 12; 200 x 15, 15, 15, 15; and captain's chair for 15, 13)

22 minutes of cardio keeping the ol' heart right around 130

Time for some protein, mowing, protein, and grocery shopping (so I can make some REAL food, dammit). :-)
BigFrank 09:01 AM 03-13-2010
I only really tried to go balls to the wall yesterday. Thank you for the tip though... are you saying I should go back and forth between reps and balls out? My thing is that I never seem to be sore the day after...

The only thing that hurts today is my elbow... the rest of my body (legs included) don't really even feel like I did anything yesterday. Is that normal? Does that mean I'm doing something wrong? I would think I'd be sore after how much I did yesterday.
Give it another day, some guys get DOMS ( delayed onset muscle soreness ) I dont get it that often but it does happen. Stretching and foam rolling will help reduce this, but you have to be very proactive.

For the elbow I would get in the habit of putting some icy hot on your elbow ( neoprone sleeve will eliminate the use of icy hot) and ibuprofen and ice. Heat the day after if it still hurts. You may need this more in the beginning then later down the road. The key is to be proactive.

Not trying to sound like a dick here but, looking at your leg training and training for the day, you may have went balls out in your book but not in most. It was a decent total bodyworkout but there could have been more. I would maybe start training legs on its own day, with more volume and weight. You would be surprised the punishment your legs can take.

As far as training all out, you will be able to get away with it for a period of time then you will start to overtrain ( flu like symptoms decreases in musclemass and weight used during training ) if you are going to train balls out, you are going to need to eat more. Most of the guys I know try to pyramid there workouts. They start with high reps and lower weight, and each week they decrease the reps slowly and increase the weight. Main thing after a week were you go all out make sure to get lots of rest and calories. If you fail to recover properly the following week in the gym will be hampered.
BigFrank 09:04 AM 03-13-2010
Originally Posted by The Professor:
Off day. For reals.

18 minutes of cardio including 12 minutes of HIIT in the mix

100 reps of abs stuff (cable rope crunches @ 180 x 12; 200 x 15, 15, 15, 15; and captain's chair for 15, 13)

22 minutes of cardio keeping the ol' heart right around 130

Time for some protein, mowing, protein, and grocery shopping (so I can make some REAL food, dammit). :-)
Cardio....I'm pulling your PLifting card....:-)

I benched on Wed
345x8,8
Inclines
Close Grip Rest Pause
Hold outs
Kaz Presses
Push Downs ( I havent done these in awhile and I got a massive pump )

Fri was assistance day
rows
mil press standing
cable rows
pull downs
delts
traps
biceps

I dont know if it's due to the training or something else. But I have been balls tired all week long. Like taking naps in the day, and I've been constantly hungry early in the day.
Bodyweight @ 258-259
8 Weeks out
The Professor 09:10 AM 03-13-2010
Cardio....I'm pulling your PLifting card....:-)
but ... but ... but ...

I did do all those weighted crunches, too. :-)
Chris. 09:10 AM 03-13-2010
LOL at taking his Plifting card! All I've been doing(so I can meet my immediate weight loss goals) lately is cardio and chest/abs/back. Cardio is at least 45 minutes of running. I haven't been in a couple weeks because I keep getting a cold somehow, and I feel like a slob. :-)
BigFrank 09:17 AM 03-13-2010
but ... but ... but ...

I did do all those weighted crunches, too. :-)
I demand a fastfood stop on the way home from the store.
BigFrank 09:19 AM 03-13-2010
Originally Posted by Chris.:
LOL at taking his Plifting card! All I've been doing(so I can meet my immediate weight loss goals) lately is cardio and chest/abs/back. Cardio is at least 45 minutes of running. I haven't been in a couple weeks because I keep getting a cold somehow, and I feel like a slob. :-)
That's a good bit of running for weight loss. Might wanna do a few days of low intensity cardio rather than balls out running. But with that said if you are feeling under the weather take time off from the gym allow your body to heal. Dragging yourself in while not 100% sometimes can be worse for you. Gauge yourself listen to your body. When in doubt eat!!!!
DBall 09:19 AM 03-13-2010

Not trying to sound like a dick here but, looking at your leg training and training for the day, you may have went balls out in your book but not in most. It was a decent total bodyworkout but there could have been more. I would maybe start training legs on its own day, with more volume and weight. You would be surprised the punishment your legs can take.
I wasn't really too tired on legs yesterday and probably could've kept going... it was the rest of my body that was done.

The other thing to note is that I go alone... been in the gym for a total of only almost 1 month ever in my life, and have no one really showing me what to do when I'm there... I'm kinda just ****ing around with machines and hoping I am using them right. I read all this great info here and all, but I learn best by seeing and mimicking...
The Professor 09:34 AM 03-13-2010
I demand a fastfood stop on the way home from the store.
I think I can comply with that. Is a juicy burger satisfactory?
BigFrank 10:31 AM 03-13-2010
I think I can comply with that. Is a juicy burger satisfactory?
double chicken burrito extra sour cream.
The Professor 10:35 AM 03-13-2010
double chicken burrito extra sour cream.
oooh ... that sounds delightful. um ... I'm not sure where to get it close to me, though. maybe the Bell?
BigFrank 10:35 AM 03-13-2010
I wasn't really too tired on legs yesterday and probably could've kept going... it was the rest of my body that was done.

The other thing to note is that I go alone... been in the gym for a total of only almost 1 month ever in my life, and have no one really showing me what to do when I'm there... I'm kinda just ****ing around with machines and hoping I am using them right. I read all this great info here and all, but I learn best by seeing and mimicking...
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
check this site out its pretty decent. I've always lifted with people especially early on. But with that said, not everyone can be a good teacher. I would stick to the basic and not get too crazy. That is where everyone fails. They want a super complex program with a bunch of **** they dont need. I've seen people make more gains doing 4 basic exercises and minor assistance work than a lot of people. This goes for strength and size gains. Only advice I can give you with respect to lifting along, is try and learn as much as you can. Be a sponge. Watch, read, learn. If you have a video camera you can always tape yourself working out and myself and the other brothers would be more than willing to give you help. Anything goes in here Dan. Any question, any help.
BigFrank 10:37 AM 03-13-2010
oooh ... that sounds delightful. um ... I'm not sure where to get it close to me, though. maybe the Bell?
Ive got a Qdoba and a Five guys 5 min away right next to each other so....The bell isnt bad. I usually do 2 quesilldillas(sp?) and chicken tacos or beef. I usually chug a protein shake after eating because the protein quality probably isnt the best. I would just get something good and chug the shake.
The Professor 12:04 PM 03-13-2010
Ive got a Qdoba and a Five guys 5 min away right next to each other so....The bell isnt bad. I usually do 2 quesilldillas(sp?) and chicken tacos or beef. I usually chug a protein shake after eating because the protein quality probably isnt the best. I would just get something good and chug the shake.
went and got one at Chipotle, Frank. :-) with guac, too. :-)
Page 188 of 350
« First < 88138178186187188 189190198238288 > Last »
Up