Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 187 of 350
« First < 87137177185186187 188189197237287 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
icehog3 08:08 AM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by The Professor:
no ... only did it light today to get the blood flowing. the land mines are more for my obliques -- they hit me there in a mean, mean way. and the 1-arms were more grip than anything (that weight isn't even a warmup for me ... reallit, it's just hard as hell to keep gripping the fat end of the bar).

as for the pull-ups, I've made it a goal to do some every day. :-)
I guess sometimes I think too much in a "bodybuilder" frame of mind, when I should realize that you have different goals, and even I don't really train like a BB in a classic sense.

Keep kickin' ass, My Friend. :-)
The Professor 08:12 AM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I guess sometimes I think too much in a "bodybuilder" frame of mind, when I should realize that you have different goals, and even I don't really train like a BB in a classic sense.

Keep kickin' ass, My Friend. :-)
yeah. I never used to even remotely touch a body part the day after training it. a few months ago, though, I started doing "recovery" work the day after just to get the blood flowing to the muscles to aid in a more speedy repair. I *think* it has helped me. then again, I've changed up so many different things, it's hard to tell what's causing what. all I know is, it doesn't hurt and I'm not (generally) getting weaker (except for my legs a little; but that's because I haven't been training them as heavy the last month).

doing light t-bar rows the day after really makes me feel better, actually -- it really helps to stretch them out, get them moving, and limber me up.
icehog3 08:15 AM 03-10-2010
yeah. I never used to even remotely touch a body part the day after training it. a few months ago, though, I started doing "recovery" work the day after just to get the blood flowing to the muscles to aid in a more speedy repair. I *think* it has helped me. then again, I've changed up so many different things, it's hard to tell what's causing what. all I know is, it doesn't hurt and I'm not (generally) getting weaker (except for my legs a little; but that's because I haven't been training them as heavy the last month).

doing light t-bar rows the day after really makes me feel better, actually -- it really helps to stretch them out, get them moving, and limber me up.
I have done some similar things, and it seems to be a good stretch and move some of the lactic acid out....so that's a good thing. :-)
GreekGodX 08:18 AM 03-10-2010
I often workout legs in back to back days. However, I split it into Quad dominant exercises and Harmstring dominant exercises. I've gotten big gains from doing it that way and it makes "leg day" much more tolerable.
The Professor 08:18 AM 03-10-2010
I have done some similar things, and it seems to be a good stretch and move some of the lactic acid out....so that's a good thing. :-)
So... it's the Martha Stewart of lifting, right? :-)

("It's a good thing.")
The Professor 08:20 AM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
I often workout legs in back to back days. However, I split it into Quad dominant exercises and Harmstring dominant exercises. I've gotten big gains from doing it that way and it makes "leg day" much more tolerable.
Leg days aren't supposed to be tolerable -- they're supposed to make you puke! :-) :-)
GreekGodX 08:23 AM 03-10-2010
Leg days aren't supposed to be tolerable -- they're supposed to make you puke! :-) :-)
:-) I only make other people puke when they attempt my leg day. Supersetting deadlift and squats seems to have that affect on people.
The Professor 08:26 AM 03-10-2010
:-) I only make other people puke when they attempt my leg day. Supersetting deadlift and squats seems to have that affect on people.
easy as pie. :-)

add bands to the deadlifts and make them sumo 5s for speed ... then you're beggin' for a pukin'! :-)

tell us your leg day, Christos. I'd like to try some of it out and try to break my lifting partner. :-)
DBall 09:16 AM 03-10-2010
First day back since Friday... took a break to fix up the elbow. Saw the PT yesterday and he told me what I shouldn't do, so I hit everything else hard and love it. Got leg presses up to 132#x20 and 144#x10... coulda kept going so I think I'll start w/ 144# next time.

Started doing rows, too... those aren't too bad. So far (about 1.5 hours later) the elbow is feeling great... let's hope it stays that way.
icehog3 10:42 AM 03-10-2010
So... it's the Martha Stewart of lifting, right? :-)

("It's a good thing.")
Not familiar with her mantra, Dokk, I'll have to take your word for it. :-) :-)

Pretty strong shoulder day, and first time working traps since I tweaked my back. It's a bit tight, but I think it's pretty well mended.
The Professor 10:54 AM 03-10-2010
Not familiar with her mantra, Dokk, I'll have to take your word for it. :-) :-)

Pretty strong shoulder day, and first time working traps since I tweaked my back. It's a bit tight, but I think it's pretty well mended.
Douché, Admiral. Douché. :-) :-)

Glad your back is mended. :-)
GreekGodX 04:01 AM 03-11-2010
easy as pie. :-)

add bands to the deadlifts and make them sumo 5s for speed ... then you're beggin' for a pukin'! :-)

tell us your leg day, Christos. I'd like to try some of it out and try to break my lifting partner. :-)
I gotta go back in my workout logs to find some of the workouts I came up with that were extremly taxing. Here's one that I've done that is brutal. I borrowed it from somewhere but don't remember. Seems easy until you get midway through then it's like a truck hits you.

Deadlift x 6
Hang Clean x 6
Front Squat x 6
Hang Snatch x 6
Overhead Squat x 6
Front Press x 6
Bentover Row x 6
Romanian Deadlift x 6

No rest in between sets and don't put down the bar. Lift for speed and keep track of how long it takes to go through. Next set try and beat that time.
The Professor 05:42 AM 03-11-2010
I gotta go back in my workout logs to find some of the workouts I came up with that were extremly taxing. Here's one that I've done that is brutal. I borrowed it from somewhere but don't remember. Seems easy until you get midway through then it's like a truck hits you.

Deadlift x 6
Hang Clean x 6
Front Squat x 6
Hang Snatch x 6
Overhead Squat x 6
Front Press x 6
Bentover Row x 6
Romanian Deadlift x 6

No rest in between sets and don't put down the bar. Lift for speed and keep track of how long it takes to go through. Next set try and beat that time.
yeah ... i've done one similar to that, but there were 2 more lifts and some pushups at the end. b.r.u.t.a.l. I only made it through 3 cycles before I had to lay down. :-)

whatever we do tomorrow, though, should really be focused on legs and lower back. I hit the rest of my body pretty hard the rest of the week and don't like to repeat things before I've had a chance to rest properly.

definitely post up after you have a chance to go through your log. I think I like your idea of a squat-deadlift superset ... maybe do the squats high to emphasize the quads and the deadlifts sumo to emphasize the glutes and hams. :-) and maybe add bands to the deads to really force us to be explosive off the ground. :-)

other brutal squat-dead superset ideas?
GreekGodX 05:56 AM 03-11-2010
yeah ... i've done one similar to that, but there were 2 more lifts and some pushups at the end. b.r.u.t.a.l. I only made it through 3 cycles before I had to lay down. :-)

whatever we do tomorrow, though, should really be focused on legs and lower back. I hit the rest of my body pretty hard the rest of the week and don't like to repeat things before I've had a chance to rest properly.

definitely post up after you have a chance to go through your log. I think I like your idea of a squat-deadlift superset ... maybe do the squats high to emphasize the quads and the deadlifts sumo to emphasize the glutes and hams. :-) and maybe add bands to the deads to really force us to be explosive off the ground. :-)

other brutal squat-dead superset ideas?

Off the top of my head. Do an explosive quad dominant exercise, no rest, front or back squat, 60-90s rest, explosive ham dominant exercise, no rest, into deadlifts. Ham dominant explosive exercise could be something like jump lunges.
The Professor 06:14 AM 03-11-2010
intriguing.... :-)

what are some explosive quad-dominant ideas -- aside from something using a machine (everything's too spread out, so throwing a machine in would defeat the point of a superset).

I train hams all the time; but avoid many quad specific exercises because I don't want bigger quads (or calves, for that matter). for quads, I've been throwing in fast, high box squats every other week (hits the quads most and forces the use of more stabilizers, unlike leg press); but that's about it (aside from the ways quads are involved in other lifts).
The Professor 08:35 AM 03-11-2010
nothing spectacular today. I'm not even sure about everything I did. it was shoulders and traps. I did a bunch of things. I'm already sore. :-)
GreekGodX 11:31 AM 03-11-2010
intriguing.... :-)

what are some explosive quad-dominant ideas -- aside from something using a machine (everything's too spread out, so throwing a machine in would defeat the point of a superset).

I train hams all the time; but avoid many quad specific exercises because I don't want bigger quads (or calves, for that matter). for quads, I've been throwing in fast, high box squats every other week (hits the quads most and forces the use of more stabilizers, unlike leg press); but that's about it (aside from the ways quads are involved in other lifts).
Box jumps, weighted squat jumps, banded squats, explosive leg press
DBall 01:39 PM 03-11-2010
Day off... ugh... elbow hates me. Locks up about 80% of the time I try to stretch it.. Boo.
PeteSB75 06:39 AM 03-12-2010
Good lifts this morning at medium weight, about 70-75% 1RM. Heavy enough that I feel it, but light enough that I can go faster. Press, bent-over rows, upright rows and lat pulldowns. Did some stretching and walked home to take a shower and eat some oatmeal. :-)
DBall 08:51 AM 03-12-2010
A couple days ago the PT mentioned that I probably have some arthritis from the break in the elbow... it killed this morning and I took some tylenol arthritis... I can actually move it without being in pain.

Now the question is, do I go to the gym...?
Page 187 of 350
« First < 87137177185186187 188189197237287 > Last »
Up