Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 182 of 270
« First < 82132172180181182 183184192232 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
Steve 11:00 AM 12-30-2012
Originally Posted by 8lug:
I've been lerking around this forum for a while, it has inspired me to fire up my smoker.
Mustard and rub
Oh crap it snowed last night

on its way

At cruisin temp

about 5 more hours to go
Nice! What smoker is that?
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 11:43 AM 12-30-2012
I've been lerking around this forum for a while, it has inspired me to fire up my smoker. about 5 more hours to go
So, what did you say your address is Mark? Cuz Steve and I might come right over and help ourselves:-):-)

Nice looking set-up you have there Mark and welcome to the thread...
[Reply]
Steve 12:13 PM 12-30-2012
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Nice looking set-up you have there Mark and welcome to the thread...
Good idea Mark...we could be like, consultants!
[Reply]
8lug 08:03 PM 12-30-2012
Originally Posted by Steve:
Good idea Mark...we could be like, consultants!
Thanks Guys. Sorry there isn't any finished photos. We attackedthe ribs before i got a chance to take some pictures.

My smoker was built be Dave Klose, its a Deluxe Master chef.
[Reply]
Steve 09:47 PM 12-30-2012
Sweet, I thought it looked like a Klose :-):-)
[Reply]
dijit 01:32 PM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by Commander Quan:
Well what do you have?

Usually wind is a bigger issue than temperature.
I have a coleman round charcoal smoker. The cheap one that is about $100 for now. Hoping to build one this summer and brick it into the pattio.
[Reply]
mahtofire14 06:15 PM 12-31-2012
Hickory smoked spare ribs in 8 degree weather? Why not!
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:24 PM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by mahtofire14:
Hickory smoked spare ribs in 8 degree weather? Why not!
I agree. Why not!:-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:33 PM 12-31-2012
Next door neighbors invited us over to a gathering this evening. A pot luck thing. Decided to do a couple of Tri-Tips this evening for the pot luck:

I think I recalled there were 4 pieces left swimming in some juice before we left to walk back home this evening. Love Tri-Tip...
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:34 PM 12-31-2012
I wish we could get tri tip here. I could probably special order it.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 12:05 AM 01-01-2013
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
What part of the country are you located in Bob?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:11 AM 01-01-2013
Just outside of Detroit.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 12:33 AM 01-01-2013
Just outside of Detroit.

I was thinking if you have a good butcher shop in your area, you may want to get to know that person and see if he/she could wacked off a Tri-Tip for you. They may have a different name for this cut of meat in your area. Just a thought!

[Reply]
jonumberone 06:47 AM 01-01-2013

I was thinking if you have a good butcher shop in your area, you may want to get to know that person and see if he/she could wacked off a Tri-Tip for you. They may have a different name for this cut of meat in your area. Just a thought!
I've had this same thought, and spent plenty of time with butchers trying to get some tri-tip.
The problem is, as the butcher explained to me, they no longer get sides of beef. Everything they get is already processed and cryovac'd.
By the time the beef gets to him, the tri-tip is already removed, and he said, most likely used in chop meat.
Tis such a shame. I hope you can find it, Bob
[Reply]
T.G 09:01 AM 01-01-2013

Is the problem actually getting it, or just that the name "tri-tip" is not known to the employees at your meat counter? If it's the latter, sometimes it masquerades under other names, I've known people who have found tri-tip by asking for "bottom round, tip cut" or "triangle sirloin" and there's one more I forget offhand. You could also try by IMPS/NAMP #, it's cut #185C according to the chart I have.

The texture and flavor is similar to flank, TT is not quite as intense, but thicker and harder to screw up when cooking.

Maybe search around for a meat locker in your area.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 11:39 AM 01-01-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
Maybe search around for a meat locker in your area.
...:-) Great idea Adam. I remember when visiting my grandparents back in Cole City, IL, they had a meat locker they rented from the local butcher. The lockers were attached to the butcher shop. In fact, it was pretty much a large freezer in its self. Its summer outside and winter conditions inside. You'd have to put on heavy coats before you walked inside to your rented locker to pick out your cuts of beef. Being a kid, it was alot of fun going to the meat locker with grandma while trying to scape up enough frost to make a snowball:-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:14 PM 01-01-2013
Thanks for the info guys. There's a few butchers in the area I'm going to check with.
[Reply]
Steve 08:52 AM 01-04-2013
A friend sent me this today and I thought it appropriate:

Grilling is a transatlantic flight on the Concorde. Barbecuing is a cruise on the QE2. Grilling is a quickie on the kitchen table. Barbeque is tantric.

--- David Plitz, slate.com
[Reply]
8lug 06:46 AM 01-07-2013
What part of the country are you located in Bob?
I've never seen Tri tip in New England. do you grill it or smoke it?
[Reply]
T.G 08:25 AM 01-07-2013
I've never seen Tri tip in New England. do you grill it or smoke it?

Traditionally, it's grilled over red oak - it's not a quick grill though because of it's weight and thickness, it takes some time. Look up "Santa Maria Tri-Tip", which is where it originated.

Although there are some weirdos who have huffed too much LoCal smog and they like to smoke it.
[Reply]
Page 182 of 270
« First < 82132172180181182 183184192232 > Last »
Up