Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 18 of 20
« First < 8161718 1920 >
Sports>College Hoops Thread '10-'11
The Poet 03:45 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by smelly4tay:
I might be bias but i thought UW was going to get better than a 7 seed. Huskies are going to demolish Georgia!!:-)
There is little doubt that the Pac-10 has fallen mightily in the estimation of the "experts", even though they gave evidence with their success in last year's tourney that they were better than advertised. Still, you must confess that your Huskies did not exactly play up to their pre-season expectations, so have no one but themselves to blame for their seeding woes. Yeah, a five may have been justified, but consider . . . all things being equal, who'd you rather face in your first game, Georgia, or the winner of the UAB/Clemson game? Were I you, I'd be happy where I'm at. :-)

Originally Posted by jcruse64:
I agree on both points. I really didn't think the Bulldogs should have gotten in, even though I'm a SEC fan. Good luck to your Huskies!!!
Were the Bulldogs one of those "play-in" teams, those supposedly last 8 to make the cut, I'd have less of a problem with it. But do you really expect me to believe they are better than Clemson, UAB, VCU, or USC? Hell, those last two are playing for an 11-seed, while the Bulldogs get a 10-seed handed to them?

Oh well, you still have to win the games anyway, regardless of your seeding. So, Washington knocks of Georgia easily, you say. Then, assuming no upset by LIU, how do you think they will fare against the Tar Heels, in Charlotte? See what I mean?
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:21 PM 03-15-2011
Yeah, tough road for the Huskies, but they ARE in. Be nice to see the Bulldogs make me eat crow though.

Missouri State looked pretty good to me. Murray "should" have a game on its hands. They've not done well in their NIT invites; it'd be good if they could "vent" a little at the junior prom :-).
[Reply]
The Poet 03:30 PM 03-16-2011
Goddammit, once again I got all the way to the last line of a hour-long post, and the damn thing disappeared on me! And I did nothing wrong, I know! I had to pee like a mule, so went to relieve myself, and when I came back . . . POOF! My post was blank. It's not me, it's this site. I am NOT happy.

I quit. I'm not gonna retype all that crap. Tomorrow The Dance starts. Maybe I'll be back, maybe I won't.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:41 PM 03-16-2011
There is a set time-out, I think. An easy way to prevent that is to hit "preview post" every once in a while.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:45 PM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
There is a set time-out, I think. An easy way to prevent that is to hit "preview post" every once in a while.
Yeah, I've done that often, but this time I forgot to "back up" my work.

That's OK . . . aside from the fact that I don't know jack on the subject, nobody much cares about college basketball anyway, especially in March. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 02:15 PM 03-17-2011
I have been a bit lax in updating this lately, with my sole excuse (aside from laziness) being that I've been a bit busy actually following the games as opposed to blogging about them. But I take a quick break from that to report our first Cinderalla upset of the tournament:

Morehead State 62 - Louisville 61 = The 13-seed knocks Pitino's 4th-seeded boys out of The Dance before they even get to the band's first break. MSU jumped on them early, then hung tough down the stretch. So the Big East gets the first of what shall be a record number of NCAA losses.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:14 PM 03-17-2011
Kentucky gets a layup with 2 seconds left to escape an upset by Princeton 59-57.

Butler gets a tip-in by Howard at the buzzer to survive against ODU 60-58.

Pitt is starting to push well ahead of UNC-Asheville with 8 minutes left.
[Reply]
BigAsh 03:21 PM 03-17-2011
HOOOOOOT!...Temple wins (as I expected) but a close game...The Owls have been playing without 2 starters for a month now and have been holding their own....though Scootie did play 6 minutes today with extra padding over the fracture site on his foot
[Reply]
The Poet 03:21 PM 03-17-2011
Oh, and Temple hits an 18-footer in the last second to oust Penn State 66-64, so "one-and-Dunphy" gets his first NCAA victory. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 04:27 PM 03-17-2011
Pitt rolls, and San Diego State rolling.

Richmond and Vanderbilt look to be going down to the wire.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:48 PM 03-17-2011
Spiders bite the Commodores, 69-66. Hey, I've been telling you all year that Richmond can be tough.

Aztecs beat up on NC (that's Northern Colorado, so don't get too excited) 68-50.
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:02 PM 03-17-2011
Nice, NICE win for Morehead. I hate 'em, but WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Dances in a row, the OVC gets a win. Looks like a winnable Round 2 game also.

Wow, Vandy, 2nd year in a row. Gonna leave a mark with that one!

Florida is having a real tough time :-). Glad to see the Cats were able to squeak a win out.

I forgot to put up any brackets this year.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 10:37 PM 03-17-2011
Type it out on google docs or gmail, then cut and paste.
[Reply]
SD Beerman 10:06 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Pitt rolls, and San Diego State rolling.

Richmond and Vanderbilt look to be going down to the wire.
Big sigh of relief to get our first win...looking forward to Saturday....:-)
[Reply]
SD Beerman 10:07 PM 03-18-2011
your boys are playing well now.
[Reply]
jcruse64 03:10 PM 03-19-2011
The Cats were up in today's 1st game, against the same school that bounced them last year. Little better outcome for the Faithful today :-):-). It was a good game; I would not be surprised if any of you heard my wife screaming at the refs, coaches, or players :-).

The Gators are in a fight against the Bruins as I type, with less than a minute to go. Again, another good game.

Ordering in for supper; can't miss the Morehead/Richmond match coming up.
[Reply]
jcruse64 07:39 PM 03-19-2011
Whew!!!! Butler drops Pitt! Whatta finish! I was impressed that Butler was able to stand in there against a very good 2nd half from Pitt, especially with the disadvantage in rebounding.

I rooted for Butler, and was glad the refs called the last 1.4 sec as close as the rest of the game. I gotta say though; that kid made a mistake, but his coach lost the game for them right there. What in the world was he thinking, having his kids lined up at the line for the 2nd Pitt free throw and going after a rebound?!?!?!?!? 1.4 seconds left, ain't no way Butler gets a rebound and heaves a shot over 3/4 court for the win. Stupid!!! Keep your kids out of the way! I feel sorry for the kid, just as I did when Mack fouled.

Didn't see much of the SDSU game, but 2OT's is usually a fun game to watch. Coach K vs Coach Fisher again???
[Reply]
SD Beerman 01:22 PM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
Didn't see much of the SDSU game, but 2OT's is usually a fun game to watch. Coach K vs Coach Fisher again???
It was fun, State could have won a little easier, almost bit through my cigar watching it.:-)
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:50 PM 03-20-2011
Drats! Thought Dook was toast, but they hung in for the win.

Tough ending for the Huskies. Don't know if the extra time would have helped them get a shot off or not, but I hate to see any game end like that, especially at this level.

Same is true for the Texas/Arizona matchup. Tough non-call at the end. I couldn't tell from the first replays, whereas last night's replay on the Butler game was conclusive.
[Reply]
smelly4tay 03:00 PM 03-21-2011
Wow so many close games. Sad about my Huskies, but they put on a thrilling game. Credit to UNC and Coach Roy.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 20
« First < 8161718 1920 >
Up