Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 18 of 23
« First < 8161718 1920 > Last »
Sports>J! E! T! S! Jets! Jets! Jets!
massphatness 07:19 AM 01-09-2011
I don't know -- he's only what, 22? He's no Sam Bradford or Matt Ryan, but I think he's going to be decent: a qb who isn't going to be able to absolutely carry a team like a Manning or Brady, but one that's serviceable and won't lose games for them.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:38 AM 01-09-2011
Two clutch field goals in one game. Congrat's Jets.
[Reply]
shilala 07:39 AM 01-09-2011
Maybe if he just burned one with Smoke before the game? That should settle him down. The Jets have an awesome O-line right now. O-lines wax and wane. As high strung as he seems to be, I think he's a few O-line injuries away from being useless.
I do think he's a smart kid, and he's picked up a really quick mastery of the offense in New York, even if it is real simple.
Maybe with a few more years he'll settle in and really show what he's made of.
Mind ya Vin, I was a big-time Dirty fan. I really thought the kid would be great, cause he has it all. Except some touch. Who the hell would have guessed something as easy as lobbing a ball would make that big a difference in a guy's game?
I do have to admit that I think he has the strongest arm in the NFL. Man, can that kid sling it.
I wish someone had some insight into whatever his problem was last night? Playoff nerves, I suppose? I only got to see him six or eight times during the season and he was never consistant in any of those games, but last night was definately his worse showing that I can think of (that I've seen).
[Reply]
taltos 09:27 AM 01-09-2011
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Missing those touch passes just before he thre the pick shows the kid has a kong way to go ...
He would have received great benefit from one more year of college.Time for the Pats to spank the Jets again.
[Reply]
Stephen 09:51 AM 01-09-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
Maybe if he just burned one with Smoke before the game? That should settle him down. The Jets have an awesome O-line right now. O-lines wax and wane. As high strung as he seems to be, I think he's a few O-line injuries away from being useless.
I do think he's a smart kid, and he's picked up a really quick mastery of the offense in New York, even if it is real simple.
Maybe with a few more years he'll settle in and really show what he's made of.
Mind ya Vin, I was a big-time Dirty fan. I really thought the kid would be great, cause he has it all. Except some touch. Who the hell would have guessed something as easy as lobbing a ball would make that big a difference in a guy's game?
I do have to admit that I think he has the strongest arm in the NFL. Man, can that kid sling it.
I wish someone had some insight into whatever his problem was last night? Playoff nerves, I suppose? I only got to see him six or eight times during the season and he was never consistant in any of those games, but last night was definately his worse showing that I can think of (that I've seen).
Michael Vick says hi.:-)
[Reply]
shilala 10:21 AM 01-09-2011
Originally Posted by Stephen:
Michael Vick says hi.:-)
Good point. I guess I don't notice Vick as much because he's always throwing on the run or off his back foot. He can throw that sumb1tch 70 yards and drop it in a bucket, for sure. :-)
[Reply]
ujponds 10:31 AM 01-09-2011
Sanchez was off with his touch passes for sure. He has been nursing a shoulder injury for the past few weeks, torn cartilage. They are even hinting it could require surgery in the off season.

I sure wouldn't say he was terrible, but it wasn't his best playoff showing. Let's give credit where credit is due, Sanchez is now 3-1 in the playoffs and a big reason why is due HIS play.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 11:47 AM 01-09-2011
Cromartie was exploited well last night and that in itself showed other teams how to attack Jets' secondary, Ryan better do some thinking this week. Sanchez sucked again, injury or not, he takes way too long to scan/analyze his options and has no finesse in his arm to speak of... Not that receivers didn't drop some on-the-money passes last night...

I don't think next game will be as one sided as last time, at the least I hope Jets players' professional egos will drive them harder to prove a point.
[Reply]
RRocket 06:28 PM 01-09-2011
Just watched the game. Is it me, or did the Jets luck out on that last pass to Edwards? Looked clearly like a push off to me..and the refs missed it.
[Reply]
ujponds 07:14 PM 01-09-2011
It's all luck with the Jets! They are the luckiest team in the league, you didn't know that?

Sanchez is the worst qb to ever play the game, the D is a joke and everyone knows how to exploit them, the running game is VERY overrated and the coach is a SHAM!!! He knows nothing, only pretending.

20 wins and 5 playoff games in 2 years! They are SOOOOO lucky.... it is really ridiculous!
[Reply]
RRocket 10:25 PM 01-09-2011
Originally Posted by ujponds:
It's all luck with the Jets! They are the luckiest team in the league, you didn't know that?

Sanchez is the worst qb to ever play the game, the D is a joke and everyone knows how to exploit them, the running game is VERY overrated and the coach is a SHAM!!! He knows nothing, only pretending.

20 wins and 5 playoff games in 2 years! They are SOOOOO lucky.... it is really ridiculous!

Not sure about all of that. Only thing I was sure of was that Edwards used 2 hands to push the defender (Lacey?) out of the way.
[Reply]
Stephen 05:56 AM 01-10-2011
Good point. I guess I don't notice Vick as much because he's always throwing on the run or off his back foot. He can throw that sumb1tch 70 yards and drop it in a bucket, for sure. :-)
It's amazing how effortless his throws look.
[Reply]
ujponds 09:14 AM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by RRocket:
Not sure about all of that. Only thing I was sure of was that Edwards used 2 hands to push the defender (Lacey?) out of the way.
I know, I'm just tired of people chalking every win up as luck. He did get a little push off but Lacey wasn't even looking for the ball.
[Reply]
shilala 09:46 AM 01-10-2011
I know, I'm just tired of people chalking every win up as luck. He did get a little push off but Lacey wasn't even looking for the ball.
Mark, I don't know about "luck", but the Colts were missing 11 starting players from their defense, among lots of other problems.
The Jets just plain didn't play well. I can't pick any single player on the team and say "he had a really good game". If they don't take it up a lot of notches, they're gonna have their hands full next week.
I can remember not so long ago a Pittsburgh Steeler team who went 15-1, only to NOT take home a Super Bowl ring. 20 wins in two seasons means nothing if you don't take home the prize, and they sure didnt look like a team that's gonna take home the prize.

I was a big Sanchez fan last year. All the pre-season talk about the Jets being the second coming
of Christ really put a burr up my ass, probably as much as the "luck" comments have pissed you off. Problem is, if you want your team to be considered great, they gotta go the distance. A team can only survive on decimated opposition and favorable bounces for so long. Sooner or later they gotta come out the gate and play like they can really play. Granted I haven't seen more than a handful of Jets games this year, but so far I'm more or less unimpressed. Sanchez is a big disappointment, as far as I'm concerned. I feel he's playing way beneath his grade. Whether it's him or the coaching, I don't know, but there's a kid with all the talent in the world who's throwing like Jake Delhomme. :-)
[Reply]
massphatness 10:02 AM 01-10-2011
HEY! Jake Delhomme won me a fantasy league a few years back.
[Reply]
ujponds 11:10 AM 01-10-2011
Mark, I don't know about "luck", but the Colts were missing 11 starting players from their defense, among lots of other problems.
The Jets just plain didn't play well. I can't pick any single player on the team and say "he had a really good game". If they don't take it up a lot of notches, they're gonna have their hands full next week.
I can remember not so long ago a Pittsburgh Steeler team who went 15-1, only to NOT take home a Super Bowl ring. 20 wins in two seasons means nothing if you don't take home the prize, and they sure didnt look like a team that's gonna take home the prize.

I was a big Sanchez fan last year. All the pre-season talk about the Jets being the second coming
of Christ really put a burr up my ass, probably as much as the "luck" comments have pissed you off. Problem is, if you want your team to be considered great, they gotta go the distance. A team can only survive on decimated opposition and favorable bounces for so long. Sooner or later they gotta come out the gate and play like they can really play. Granted I haven't seen more than a handful of Jets games this year, but so far I'm more or less unimpressed. Sanchez is a big disappointment, as far as I'm concerned. I feel he's playing way beneath his grade. Whether it's him or the coaching, I don't know, but there's a kid with all the talent in the world who's throwing like Jake Delhomme. :-)
I have been defending Sanchez all season and I think it is getting a little old, people are going to see what they want to see. I see a second year QB that has two winning seasons and followed them up with solid play in the post season. Has he played perfect? No, some missed throws an int here and there. As a second year QB his job is to make a good throw here and there and not give the game away, which I think he is doing pretty well. There were several situations during the season where he was asked to bring the team back and win the game and he came through. Is he Tom Brady or Peyton Manning? No. . . What I will say is that he is doing better at this point in his career than Eli did.

As far as the rest of the team goes, no one can say that they are not on their way up. Do I think they are "great"? No, not yet, but Ryan HAS changed the culture. They made it to the Championship last year and followed it up with a return to the Playoffs and a win this year. Injuries or not, beating Peyton at home in the Playoffs is something.

To expect a Super Bowl the second year of a new regime with a new QB is a little unrealistic. ANY coach that is hired is usually given 3 years or should be. Whatever happens I think two years in a row of advancing in the Playoffs is a good START. Yes eventually they have to make it to the Super Bowl and win, but they are a hell of alot closer now than they were two years ago with Mangini and Pennington/ Favre.
[Reply]
shilala 12:14 PM 01-10-2011
I have been defending Sanchez all season and I think it is getting a little old, people are going to see what they want to see. I see a second year QB that has two winning seasons and followed them up with solid play in the post season. Has he played perfect? No, some missed throws an int here and there. As a second year QB his job is to make a good throw here and there and not give the game away, which I think he is doing pretty well. There were several situations during the season where he was asked to bring the team back and win the game and he came through. Is he Tom Brady or Peyton Manning? No. . . What I will say is that he is doing better at this point in his career than Eli did.

As far as the rest of the team goes, no one can say that they are not on their way up. Do I think they are "great"? No, not yet, but Ryan HAS changed the culture. They made it to the Championship last year and followed it up with a return to the Playoffs and a win this year. Injuries or not, beating Peyton at home in the Playoffs is something.

To expect a Super Bowl the second year of a new regime with a new QB is a little unrealistic. ANY coach that is hired is usually given 3 years or should be. Whatever happens I think two years in a row of advancing in the Playoffs is a good START. Yes eventually they have to make it to the Super Bowl and win, but they are a hell of alot closer now than they were two years ago with
Mangini and Pennington/ Favre.
I think you and I are pretty much on the same page.
I never expected anything of the Jets the last two years, and I think they're winning at a much higher percentage than I'd have ever guessed. I just don't think they're playing to their potential, or at least to their supposed potential.
The song that the talking heads and sportswriters were singing prior to this year's startup was that they were heavily favored to take the Super Bowl this year. Same thing last year.
Like I mentioned earlier, that's my rub. I think they're playing right at a level where they should be, and probably winning at a higher percentage than they should be. I don't think the club is all that incredibly stacked or super talented. A couple key injuries and a couple bad bounces and they're a 6 or 7 win club. I do have to concede that they took away some games that looked lost. I should probably give them more credit for that.
I'm really starting to fear that The Dirty is more likely to wash out than become a marquee quarterback. That's a bummer for me, cause I like the kid.
I suppose I'm just jealous cause of all the press they got that I felt was
misplaced. :-)
I tell ya what, if they so much as put up a fight against Brady next week, I'll eat my words. :-)
[Reply]
TheRiddick 12:34 PM 01-10-2011
Mark,

Sanchez should LEAD the team, so far he has shown he cannot instill confidence in them. When his receivers, a great bunch by any measure, have no idea what to expect, how is the team going to play with mental toughness? 3 INTs in the Pats game, under pressure, was clear indication that he has miles to go yet before he can be considered good. Remember McMahon in Chicago? Was he a great QB when measured by the standards set by Montana, Elway or Marino (and some others)? No, IMO. But the team would die for him on the field and he was a remarkable leader who never gave up, in the process charging the rest of team with energy and belief. So far, Sanchez has not shown even a glimpse of that. Even coaching staff has relied on running game to limit Sanchez' involvement and ability to "turn" the game around (read: for the worse).

It is obvious you're seeing a different Sanchez than I do and these days you do need a great QB to win a SB. At least I cannot recall a SB winner in the past 10+ years who wasn't a great leader/QB.
[Reply]
ujponds 01:57 PM 01-10-2011
:-)
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Mark,

Sanchez should LEAD the team, so far he has shown he cannot instill confidence in them. When his receivers, a great bunch by any measure, have no idea what to expect, how is the team going to play with mental toughness? 3 INTs in the Pats game, under pressure, was clear indication that he has miles to go yet before he can be considered good. Remember McMahon in Chicago? Was he a great QB when measured by the standards set by Montana, Elway or Marino (and some others)? No, IMO. But the team would die for him on the field and he was a remarkable leader who never gave up, in the process charging the rest of team with energy and belief. So far, Sanchez has not shown even a glimpse of that. Even coaching staff has relied on running game to limit Sanchez' involvement and ability to "turn" the game around (read: for the worse).

It is obvious you're seeing a different Sanchez than I do and these days you do need a great QB to win a SB. At least I cannot recall a SB winner in the past 10+ years who wasn't a great leader/QB.
I disagree with almost everything you say here but what's new :-). I do agree that we see a different Sanchez, The coaches and players alike all say that from last year to this year he HAS become a leader in the locker room and on the field.

I really don't think Sanchez will ever meet your standards, IF he won a Super Bowl I think you would prob. argue that he'll never win another one:-). Haters keep hating.

We will see what the next few years bring, I think the team as a whole is on the upswing. With Rex at the wheel good things have been happening and IF Sanchez lives up to his potential this team can be good for a long time. Win or lose this week, they have shown that they can rebound from failure, deal with adversity and build on success from year to year and IMO that is how you put a Championship together.:-)
[Reply]
TheRiddick 02:57 PM 01-10-2011
Do you really think anyone on Jets payroll will say anything negative about Sanchez and destroy his confidence (or whatever there is of it) in the process? The team has no choice, but praise him... They would even if they had one armed and no legs QB... Had they real confidence in Sanchez their entire game plan would revolve around that and not on the running game and keeping the ball out of his hands...

You make it sound like I am not a Jets fan. I am and have been. Since early 80s. Main reason I am so tired of same old, same old every season.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 23
« First < 8161718 1920 > Last »
Up