« First < 8161718 1920 > Last »
Sports>2014 MLB Thread
icehog3 02:38 PM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by The Poet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgS1lvqX8I
Actually got a lil choked up.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:16 PM 09-18-2014
Yeah, for a damn commercial it is moving and touching.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:25 PM 09-18-2014
Huge series with the Royals starts tomorrow for the Tigers. They could be 3 1/2 up, 2 1/2 down or somewhere in between by Sunday. I know what I am hoping for, hopefully the Detroit starters can go deep into the games.
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:03 AM 09-22-2014
Tanaka gets the win in his misguided comeback.
Looks like he's get one more start up in Fenway.
Though he got through unscathed, I still don't agree with pitching him.

Glad the Royals didn't get swept.
I'd like to see the remaining races go as long as they can.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:33 AM 09-22-2014
Et to, Dom.....et tu?

:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:03 PM 09-22-2014
Tigers bats went to sleep against a WS rookie, just 1 game lead over the Royals. Time to wake the **** up. Boys.
[Reply]
jonumberone 06:52 AM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Et to, Dom.....et tu?

:-)
I didn't say I don't want the Tigers to win it.
I just want them to win it on the last day of the season. :-)

I'm just remembering the final day of the season a few years ago.
Flipping channels constantly, epic collapses, hoping for two play-in games, getting none, and being thrilled about it.
One of the best night's of baseball ever!
[Reply]
yourchoice 07:27 AM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
I'm just remembering the final day of the season a few years ago.
Flipping channels constantly, epic collapses, hoping for two play-in games, getting none, and being thrilled about it.
One of the best night's of baseball ever!
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/39125938/

That was a remarkable night of baseball. I think MLB had it right that year, finishing the season mid-week when every sports fan could get wrapped up in an evening of baseball. By finishing on a Sunday, against the NFL, a high percentage of baseball fans that don't have a horse in the race won't watch. Hopefully they'll go back to Wednesdays like they did in 2010 and 2011.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:32 AM 09-23-2014
I remember that as well, Dom and Joel. Super exciting even if "your" team wasn't in the mix, and nervewracking if it was. Good stuff. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 05:18 PM 09-25-2014
Derek Jeter is, as I type, heading to the on-deck circle for his last at-bats in Yankee Stadium. Today is also the birthday of late Yankee shortstop and broadcaster Phil Rizzuto.

Coincidence, or kismet?
[Reply]
The Poet 05:26 PM 09-25-2014
First last at-bat = ribbie double to left, takes 3rd on wild pitch.

Thinks there's a little noise in The Bronx tonight?
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:51 PM 09-25-2014
I am far from a fan of the Yankees, but for the first time in 25+ years I was rooting for a Yankee to get a base hit. Incredible drama in the Bronx tonight. Congratulations, Jeter. You are a class act. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 08:57 PM 09-25-2014
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
I am far from a fan of the Yankees, but for the first time in 25+ years I was rooting for a Yankee to get a base hit. Incredible drama in the Bronx tonight. Congratulations, Jeter. You are a class act. :-)
And he went out with class too. He drove in the first run and scored the tying second in the first inning, hit a grounder to plate the go-ahead run in the seventh, then after Robertson blew the save Jeets smacked a single to score the game-winner in the ninth.

Not a bad way to say goodbye to The Bronx.

P.S. - Jeter announced after the game he might DH a game or two in the last series up in Boston, but will not play shortstop again. He has taken off the Pinstripes playing the position he always wanted, since he was four years old, and will not do so ever again.
[Reply]
jonumberone 06:28 AM 09-26-2014
Amazing night!
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:46 AM 09-26-2014
Always been a fan of Derek Jeter...just not the Yankees. Was actually rooting for them last night as well (first time I can remember ever rooting for the Yankees). Glad to see him go out in New York in classic Jeter fashion. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 08:41 AM 09-26-2014
I don't regularly watch Yankee games, but have always liked Jeter. It was a real treat to watch him do his thing for the last time in Pinstripes. He's always been a class act and fun to watch. He will be missed.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:30 AM 09-26-2014
Short Jeter article, definitely puts his place among the greats in perspective. Congrats on an amazing career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/jayson-stark...-jeter-numbers
[Reply]
The Poet 12:12 PM 09-26-2014
Thanks for the article, Tom. And thanks to all those bozos who commented on the article, bashing Jeter the same way they've been bashing him since his rookie year, saying Nomar, Omar, and A-Rod were better. As Jeets said himself last night, he played both with and against players with more talent and skill than he had, but no one ever tried harder. And as every Yankee fan has been saying to those critics for 20 years, "Yeah, OK, whatever." :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 01:58 PM 09-26-2014
For those who missed it, here's a 4-minute clip of the walk-off single and celebration.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/09/25/der...ome-bat-winner
[Reply]
The Poet 11:43 AM 09-28-2014
He's leaving 2-day. I'm glad I was a part of it.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 24
« First < 8161718 1920 > Last »
Up