Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 177 of 350
« First < 77127167175176177 178179187227277 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
icehog3 08:22 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
Tom, you should try sleeping 7-8 hours a night every night. I've been doing it for the last six months or so and I've never felt better. You should try it. :-)
I actually have been getting 8 hours once a week or so, and seven 3 or 4. Might not sound like much Pete, but it is the most sleep I have probably gotten in total in a decade, so I actually am improving in that area. :-)

For Dokk:

"I must break you". :-)
DBall 09:50 AM 02-18-2010
Day 2 (ever) at the gym... hopped on the treadmills... ran/walked around 2 miles. My heart rate, at one point, said 189... oddly I felt great and like I could keep going at that pace. I had a stress echo done last year and they got me up to 177... I coulda kept going but they had me stop. The results of that led them to tell me that I had the "heart of a competition athlete". When should I be concerned? I don't feel any pain or get dizzy, even in those high numbers.
The Professor 10:04 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
Day 2 (ever) at the gym... hopped on the treadmills... ran/walked around 2 miles. My heart rate, at one point, said 189... oddly I felt great and like I could keep going at that pace. I had a stress echo done last year and they got me up to 177... I coulda kept going but they had me stop. The results of that led them to tell me that I had the "heart of a competition athlete". When should I be concerned? I don't feel any pain or get dizzy, even in those high numbers.
Don't know that's it so much about getting concerned; but I'm not so sure you're doing aerobic activity at that point ... and you're almost certainly not in a fat burning zone. My rule of thumb with any cardio is that if I want it to be aerobic, I don't push past the point of not being able to cary on a conversation. In other words, if you're breathing hard enough that you can't cary on a conversation with the person next to you, then you're pushing too hard.

That said, the high heart rate, high intensity stuff has it's place. It all just depends on your goals. For example, when I do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), my heart will be racing something fierce at the peaks; but the point of that it so build up endurance and not to engage in aerobic exercise.

So that's my answer/non-answer. :-)
DBall 10:10 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by The Professor:
Don't know that's it so much about getting concerned; but I'm not so sure you're doing aerobic activity at that point ... and you're almost certainly not in a fat burning zone. My rule of thumb with any cardio is that if I want it to be aerobic, I don't push past the point of not being able to cary on a conversation. In other words, if you're breathing hard enough that you can't cary on a conversation with the person next to you, then you're pushing too hard.

That said, the high heart rate, high intensity stuff has it's place. It all just depends on your goals. For example, when I do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), my heart will be racing something fierce at the peaks; but the point of that it so build up endurance and not to engage in aerobic exercise.

So that's my answer/non-answer. :-)

Ahh.. yeah, it wasn't steady at there... it peaked there, and not for a super long time either. It just shocked me because it was a really high number. It went right back down quick enough when I slowed the pace.

No one really explained how to work the machine, so I was kinda just mashing buttons.

As for my goals, I'm just looking for better overall fitness and a little definition... increased endurance would definitely be good. Again, I'm 5'9 135lbs so I'm certainly not interested in losing weight :-)

Also, this whole "working out" concept is foreign to me. Gotta admit, though, post-workout cigars taste better than post-sitting-around-doing-nothing cigars...
GreekGodX 10:13 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by Tombstone:
335lbs 2 times on bench....you wouldn't be stretching the truth would you?
Lifting is something I take very serious. I don't need to prove my lifts to anyone because at the end of the day if I were lying I'm only lying to myself. I only post it on here as a way to 1)Track my improvement 2) Get some praise (helps motivate me to keep going higher) 3) Compare my lifts to others.

Plus I'm not exactly sure where you even come off questioning the lift. Not like I went from 100lbs to 335 overnight. Hate all you want, it just helps me to push myself harder.
GreekGodX 10:17 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
100 pull-ups is a good workout in and of itself, Son! :-)
Considering it took me a little over an hour to do, I would say so!

I had a crappy day at the gym yesterday. No energy and tired. I think I'm actually starting to get a cold :-) Taking today off, back at it again tomorrow.
The Professor 10:26 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by Tombstone:
335lbs 2 times on bench....you wouldn't be stretching the truth would you?
IMHO, that's really uncool to question something like that. :-) I trust that no one here is lying ... and if they are, they're only really lying to themselves.

Several guys in this thread are benching that. Some more probably should be. :-)

Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Lifting is something I take very serious. I don't need to prove my lifts to anyone because at the end of the day if I were lying I'm only lying to myself. I only post it on here as a way to 1)Track my improvement 2) Get some praise (helps motivate me to keep going higher) 3) Compare my lifts to others.

Plus I'm not exactly sure where you even come off questioning the lift. Not like I went from 100lbs to 335 overnight. Hate all you want, it just helps me to push myself harder.
Don't listen to him, Christos. You done good. While a lot of these lifts come almost naturally to me, bench is one that doesn't. So kudos to you in cranking out that mean double. :-) :-)
GreekGodX 12:41 PM 02-18-2010
IMHO, that's really uncool to question something like that. :-) I trust that no one here is lying ... and if they are, they're only really lying to themselves.

Several guys in this thread are benching that. Some more probably should be.

Don't listen to him, Christos. You done good. While a lot of these lifts come almost naturally to me, bench is one that doesn't. So kudos to you in cranking out that mean double. :-) :-)
Thanks Dokk :-)

I hear ya on certain lifts being harder. I have the hardest time getting stronger on my Overhead Shoulder press. I try to raise my weight but it just seems impossible :-)
The Professor 12:50 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Thanks Dokk :-)

I hear ya on certain lifts being harder. I have the hardest time getting stronger on my Overhead Shoulder press. I try to raise my weight but it just seems impossible :-)
Yup -- overhead presses and bench are my downfall, which makes sense sort of (since my shoulder gives me problems off and on). Having a partner is already helping, though ... I'm really just *seeing* the bench differently (if that makes sense).

Keep at it! You'll shoot over that plateau at some point. You ever try to alter your rep rhythm or width of your grip?
King James 01:34 PM 02-18-2010
I can bench over 335....ANYONE want to question me! (tom, don't answer)

:-)

also, great lifting Christos :-)
BigFrank 02:15 PM 02-18-2010
I can't bench 335 kilos...=(
The Professor 02:21 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
I can't bench 335 kilos...=(
Hahaha ... you will one of these days, Frank. :-)
icehog3 02:25 PM 02-18-2010
I can't bench 335 pound.....

.....dumbbells. :-) :-)
ChicagoWhiteSox 02:32 PM 02-18-2010
First day lifting in some time. I have had some lower back problems(disc out of place) 7 months ago. Im glad to get back at the weights. I was taking 189 creatine along with protein. Im planning on picking up some more amp. creatine 189 and optimum nutrition protein, but I was wondering if taking pill form creatine vs. powder form makes a big difference. What do you guys prefer, pill form vs. powder? And why?
icehog3 02:38 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
First day lifting in some time. I have had some lower back problems(disc out of place) 7 months ago. Im glad to get back at the weights. I was taking 189 creatine along with protein. Im planning on picking up some more amp. creatine 189 and optimum nutrition protein, but I was wondering if taking pill form creatine vs. powder form makes a big difference. What do you guys prefer, pill form vs. powder? And why?
Started my first cycle of the Kre-Alkalyn when I cycled off my prohormone a few weeks ago. Never tried the pill form before, but I am digging it for several reasons:

Lifts still going up.
No bloating.
No need to preload.
Inexpensive.
Less water retention.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/aap/kre.html

As far as the claims made regarding PH buffering, etc, I have no idea as to their validity. I just know it seems to be working well for me so far.
BigFrank 04:03 PM 02-18-2010
Let us know how it works for you Tom. My results from creatine have been lack luster to say the least.
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
I use/used powder form. Most companies now make a decent tasting drink so I usually drink it with amino acids during training.
GreekGodX 04:12 PM 02-18-2010
Yup -- overhead presses and bench are my downfall, which makes sense sort of (since my shoulder gives me problems off and on). Having a partner is already helping, though ... I'm really just *seeing* the bench differently (if that makes sense).

Keep at it! You'll shoot over that plateau at some point. You ever try to alter your rep rhythm or width of your grip?
I haven't been playing around too much with grip width because I have shoulder issues too. I just try to keep my grip shoulder width and my rhythm is explosive up, controlled down and right back up explosively. I've spent the past year rehabilitating it, through physical therapy and other tips I got from local athletes. I just started heavy lifting again for my shoulders about 2 months ago. It's been going good just I have really plateaued, but I feel it might be a little mental because I haven't pushed my shoulder to the max yet.

Originally Posted by King James:
I can bench over 335....ANYONE want to question me! (tom, don't answer)

:-)

also, great lifting Christos :-)
Thanks Jim :-)

The rest of you guys crack me up :-)
BigFrank 07:20 PM 02-18-2010
I've always benched with a close grip Christos. A lot of guys give me a load of crap because they say im losing too much range by not maxing out my grip width. I take a close grip on benching even in competition benching. Keep that grip close, your shoulders will thank you later...
icehog3 09:50 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
Let us know how it works for you Tom. My results from creatine have been lack luster to say the least.
So far the Kre-Alkalyn is doing OK or so it seems. Been off the SUS-500 for a bit and my lifts continue to increase, though I guess this could be a "rebound effect" as well. I do like that I don't get the sh*ts and don't get bloated.

I also switched my pre-workout drink from White Flood to Jack3d so as to cycle off the White Flood for a while. The Jack3d doesn't give me the same focus, but it does seem to do as well with the pumps. It also makes me sweat more than a piece of rancid pork. :-)
The Professor 05:08 AM 02-19-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
So far the Kre-Alkalyn is doing OK or so it seems. Been off the SUS-500 for a bit and my lifts continue to increase, though I guess this could be a "rebound effect" as well. I do like that I don't get the sh*ts and don't get bloated.

I also switched my pre-workout drink from White Flood to Jack3d so as to cycle off the White Flood for a while. The Jack3d doesn't give me the same focus, but it does seem to do as well with the pumps. It also makes me sweat more than a piece of rancid pork. :-)
You copying me, Admiral? :-) I switched to Jack3d a few months ago and really like it. My body responds well to creatine, which is part of the reason that Jack3d works well for me -- usually 2 scoops; but I'll do 3 on insano days.
Page 177 of 350
« First < 77127167175176177 178179187227277 > Last »
Up