Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 174 of 352
« First < 74124164172173174 175176184224274 > Last »
General Discussion>First Firearm Thread.
Digs 05:11 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
I dont think any dealers here will have stock to sell at the shows :-)
We have a big gun show this weekend & next weekend I am going to see what's left but prices will be thru the roof. No p-mags for $13 :-)
spectrrr 06:40 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by Digs:
We have a big gun show this weekend & next weekend I am going to see what's left but prices will be thru the roof. No p-mags for $13 :-)
I'm wondering if there's going to be people lined up at the door before it opens, waiting to rush in like black Friday shoppers to snag whatever mags might be on the table. :-)

We've got about 2-3 big shows a month within a few hours of my area, which is nice... can always "try again" if I don't find what I'm looking for! Right now the only things on the radar I guess are an M1a or an AR10, though I don't have high hopes of finding either!
PearlS4 07:48 AM 12-20-2012
The shows that happen in my area never really have any deals, most things are priced higher than you can find them elsewhere
dijit 08:19 AM 12-20-2012
Rats our next big gun show wont be till Jan 18
spectrrr 08:25 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by dijit:
Rats our next big gun show wont be till Jan 18
Come East to Dayton this weekend. :-)
(I am pretty sure you can buy a gun from a dealer, but private party sales are a no-go to out of state folks)

Originally Posted by PearlS4:
The shows that happen in my area never really have any deals, most things are priced higher than you can find them elsewhere
I find it depends external things... the dealers usually don't have deals, UNLESS you know what you're looking for. "In the know" people can find things from time to time. Private party deals vary, there's lots of really good deals to be had on that front, depending on the time of year. Early december is a GREAT time usually for cheap private party deals, as people sell to finance the holidays. Or January, when the credit card bills start arriving!!!
jluck 08:27 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
2007, same parent company.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...acquires-dpms/

As for the why, as Justin said, they'll shoot just fine, and most folks won't have a single problem with em.

I personally am not well versed on the various AR brands and parts, and won't make something up and pretend I am. But a few folks that I personally believe to be knowledgeable in basic gunsmithing, and whose advice I sought and have chosen to pay attention to, all were less than enthusiastic about those particular brands. Certainly not saying you have to be, it's just my own personal choice to heed their advice!

But I also tend to purchase my guns like I purchase my tools, for the ultra long haul. And when I comes to tools, I prefer to buy Snap-On. Now that's not me saying that Craftsmen are shiet, I've never had either brand break on me, and I own stuff from both... I just think Snap-On are worth the couple extra bucks, for what I want.

Guess that makes me a sucker sometimes. Ain't we all :-)
Originally Posted by Digs:
Jared, they have been sub standard for a long time DPMS/Bushasters/Olympic.
Yes they will go boom when you pull the trigger, but they are are from mil spec I can go into great detail on each and every component if you wish? :-)

If i am buying a AR or building a pieces and parts rifle I it's worth it to spend a little more. To say the 3 brands above are equal would be like comparing a Dutch master to Cohiba. :-)
OUCH.
When I did my research years ago DPMS got much better reviews than the other two mentioned company's, The DPMS was considered the best machine for the money back then. (I will have too see if I still have the article). Any how I love mine, it has never let me down with some hard use and abuse I guess this is one more time I will be happy with not having the cool kid brands.:-)
forgop 08:41 AM 12-20-2012
Off to a few more gun shops to see about getting a stripped lower ordered.
spectrrr 09:12 AM 12-20-2012
The last page of this article on the '94 ban really made me laugh. And it had some valid points.

.....As it turns out, firearms magazines are both typically very robust and reliable in design, and incredibly easy to mass manufacture. Once made, they last indefinitely.

Between the time Congress started signaling that they would create a magazine capacity restriction and the implementation of the law, factories worked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week churning out millions of nothing but high-capacity magazines, which were stockpiled by manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers in massive warehouses.

As a result, “high capacity magazines” for most common firearms were freely available throughout the life of the ban.

The law had another unforeseen result. As companies looked to introduce new models of pistols, they determined that if they were going to be forced to make pistols limited to a magazine capacity of just 10 rounds, it would be advantageous for them to make these new pistols as small as possible for the concealed carry market. The Glock 26 and Kahr K9 were introduced the following year, and were among the first of a new breed of powerful, ultra-concealable handguns known as “subcompacts.” Similar designs from other companies quickly followed.

Objectively, based purely on the numbers, the assault weapons ban increased both the number of and public acceptance of semi-automatic, military-style rifles, and created a new class of powerful, concealable handguns.

Put another way, the assault weapons ban not only put more guns into the market, it encouraged the development of smaller, more powerful, semi-automatic firearms.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/assault-weapons-ban/3/

:-) :-) :-)
Steve 09:34 AM 12-20-2012
The last page of this article on the '94 ban really made me laugh. And it had some valid points.

.....As it turns out, firearms magazines are both typically very robust and reliable in design, and incredibly easy to mass manufacture. Once made, they last indefinitely.

Between the time Congress started signaling that they would create a magazine capacity restriction and the implementation of the law, factories worked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week churning out millions of nothing but high-capacity magazines, which were stockpiled by manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers in massive warehouses.

As a result, “high capacity magazines” for most common firearms were freely available throughout the life of the ban.

The law had another unforeseen result. As companies looked to introduce new models of pistols, they determined that if they were going to be forced to make pistols limited to a magazine capacity of just 10 rounds, it would be advantageous for them to make these new pistols as small as possible for the concealed carry market. The Glock 26 and Kahr K9 were introduced the following year, and were among the first of a new breed of powerful, ultra-concealable handguns known as “subcompacts.” Similar designs from other companies quickly followed.

Objectively, based purely on the numbers, the assault weapons ban increased both the number of and public acceptance of semi-automatic, military-style rifles, and created a new class of powerful, concealable handguns.

Put another way, the assault weapons ban not only put more guns into the market, it encouraged the development of smaller, more powerful, semi-automatic firearms.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/assault-weapons-ban/3/

:-) :-) :-)
Anyone remember (or has at least read about) the 18th Amendment? From what I understand, it didn't really limit alchohol, just made a bunch of law abiding citizens criminals.

When we ignore history, we are doomed to repeat it.:-)
Digs 09:36 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
Off to a few more gun shops to see about getting a stripped lower ordered.

They have become the Holy Grail, along with bolt carrier groups! I need one for my Colt; I had a .22 conversion in it for while now I don’t know were my M16 carrier is! :-)
Brian D. 10:14 AM 12-20-2012
I'm wondering if there's going to be people lined up at the door before it opens, waiting to rush in like black Friday shoppers to snag whatever mags might be on the table. :-)

We've got about 2-3 big shows a month within a few hours of my area, which is nice... can always "try again" if I don't find what I'm looking for! Right now the only things on the radar I guess are an M1a or an AR10, though I don't have high hopes of finding either!
I saw pictures of the LONG line of folks outside Sharonville Convention center from last Saturday waiting to get in. Went by there on Sunday (didn't bother attending) and it was crowding up again by 10 am. No doubt the same will be true at beautiful Hara Arena this coming weekend.

Personally I'd rather avoid such nonsense. The Treasure Aisles/Patriot Gun Show held near Monroe on Saturdays is a better choice in my book, as is Schomy's Swap Meet in Middletown. But then, I'm not looking to add anything much to what I've already got.
forgop 10:15 AM 12-20-2012
I am finding that some shops won't even allow me to place an order with full acceptance that it may be months before I ever get it. Crazy that they're not even willing to take and hold onto my money now.
Digs 10:25 AM 12-20-2012
I am finding that some shops won't even allow me to place an order with full acceptance that it may be months before I ever get it. Crazy that they're not even willing to take and hold onto my money now.
I thinks it's more likely they don't know were the market price will be!
Most would be secretly steemed if they sold you a receiver for a $100 and at that moment they were able to get $300 or good knows how much.
PearlS4 10:51 AM 12-20-2012
Trying to load up on guns and ammo now is akin to waiting until the day it snows to show up at the tire store and try to get snow tires. Should have had all that stuff packed away by now. Shortly after the original AWB expired I loaded up on all the stuff I could, and the stuff that was unobtainium during the ban. It was going to only be a matter of time before they outlawed it all again.
Remo 10:59 AM 12-20-2012
Reminds me a little of 08' when we got a new prez. I grabbed 5 NIB Colt 6920's...before the prices went through the roof!!
forgop 11:07 AM 12-20-2012
Trying to load up on guns and ammo now is akin to waiting until the day it snows to show up at the tire store and try to get snow tires. Should have had all that stuff packed away by now.
Yeah, I know. I just got particularly po'd seeing these clowns advocating and now putting a timeframe on a new ban to take place, so I decided to take action. You always hear it being discussed, but it's a guarantee that if he can't get it through congress, he'll just go the EO route. To go from what was regarded as a tearful speech the day of last week's shooting and then speaking of bans before the funerals is just another knee jerk reaction.

That said, I put my snow plow on my ZTR a month ago to ward off all snow for the winter. :-)
PearlS4 11:18 AM 12-20-2012
I had planned on this administration banning them in the first term, so there has been a bit of extra time. Homeowner plows were a way of life when I lived in AK
pnoon 11:27 AM 12-20-2012
Yeah, I know. I just got particularly po'd seeing these clowns advocating and now putting a timeframe on a new ban to take place, so I decided to take action. You always hear it being discussed, but it's a guarantee that if he can't get it through congress, he'll just go the EO route. To go from what was regarded as a tearful speech the day of last week's shooting and then speaking of bans before the funerals is just another knee jerk reaction.

That said, I put my snow plow on my ZTR a month ago to ward off all snow for the winter. :-)
I realize the sensitivity of the subject matter but let's try and keep the politics out of it.

First and last time I'll post this here.
forgop 11:32 AM 12-20-2012
I had planned on this administration banning them in the first term, so there has been a bit of extra time. Homeowner plows were a way of life when I lived in AK
Deleted
Subvet642 11:35 AM 12-20-2012
The wife is bringing permit applications home tonight. We're thinking about a 12 gauge pump for home defense.
Page 174 of 352
« First < 74124164172173174 175176184224274 > Last »
Up