Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 17 of 220
« First < 7151617 18192767117 > Last »
General Discussion>Photography Thread
DBall 07:24 AM 12-21-2009
I need to find out how to take good action shots. For instance, of skateboarding... where the subject is moving, but not super fast, however the board is moving fast, like in the middle of a flip trick (where the board is spinning and flipping and the person is moving much slower over it). Any suggestions?
[Reply]
Wolfgang 02:38 PM 12-21-2009
What camera? Increasing Shutterspeed will help accomplish this but it all depends on available light. Adding another flash will help too. Or you can go out and spend 5K+ on a lens that has a lower Fstop.
[Reply]
Mugen910 02:39 PM 12-21-2009
ok question....

I took a photo (non moving object) and it needed more light. Besides adding more light on top of the flash. Do I increase the iso or exposure? What's the effect?
[Reply]
Wolfgang 02:42 PM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead:
While I agree that "getting the shot" is important if you're a photo jounalist, I do believe that you won't get published as a sports photog if the shot isn't tack sharp with a great Bokeh. This is where glass is everything.

-Mark.
Going back to Darrel who was wanting the 18-200. Is he looking to have photos published and make "art" or is he looking to capture a moment at hand?
[Reply]
Blueface 02:42 PM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
ok question....

I took a photo (non moving object) and it needed more light. Besides adding more light on top of the flash. Do I increase the iso or exposure? What's the effect?
Increasing your ISO will provide you with more light but will also provide you with more grain.

To compensate for light, either open up your f stop (but you do lose depth of field, meaning objects that are near each other won't all be in focus) or you can reduce your shutter speed (which is OK as you said it is not a moving object, so blurring is not an issue). Practice shooting slow shutters and if you move too much, use a tripod. Or better yet, do both shutter and f stop.
[Reply]
DBall 02:44 PM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
What camera? Increasing Shutterspeed will help accomplish this but it all depends on available light. Adding another flash will help too. Or you can go out and spend 5K+ on a lens that has a lower Fstop.
Nikon D5000... no flash except the built in one (in fact, I wasn't using even that) and under what, I believe, were fluorescent lights.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 02:45 PM 12-21-2009
ok question....

Lowering the Fstop will allow more light to hit the sensor (or film) but this can make the picture have a shallow Depth of field . Increasing the ISO cam make it grainy. So if you need more light and it is a stationary object the best thing to do would be to raise the fstop to around F11 and have a longer exposure (tripod required) and an ISO of 200 to 400

What camera are you using?
[Reply]
Blueface 02:46 PM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by DBall:
Nikon D5000... no flash except the built in one (in fact, I wasn't using even that) and under what, I believe, were fluorescent lights.
Dan,
For what you are looking for, best route is expensive. You need a fast lens.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:47 PM 12-21-2009
Lowering the Fstop will allow more light to hit the sensor (or film) but this can make the picture have a shallow Depth of field . Increasing the ISO cam make it grainy. So if you need more light and it is a stationary object the best thing to do would be to raise the fstop to around F11 and have a longer exposure (tripod required) and an ISO of 200 to 400

Sounds like we both know what we are doing as our answers almost mirror one another.:-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 02:47 PM 12-21-2009
Nikons SB-600 would do the trick. It is a more powerful flash than the on board one that will freeze the object mid frame.
[Reply]
McSmokey 02:47 PM 12-21-2009
Anybody in here do old school in the dark room black and white photography? I have a fair amount of paper and film from when I spent my life in the local colleges dark room. Anyone interested shoot me a PM
[Reply]
Blueface 02:49 PM 12-21-2009
Nikons SB-600 would do the trick. It is a more powerful flash than the on board one that will freeze the object mid frame.
That is my flash.
Well worth the money.
Add a Gary Fong Diffuser to do indoor and anyone will shoot like a PRO.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:52 PM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by McSmokey:
Anybody in here do old school in the dark room black and white photography? I have a fair amount of paper and film from when I spent my life in the local colleges dark room. Anyone interested shoot me a PM
Personally, I haven't done that in years. With digital, don't even see the need to ever use all my medium format equipment, let alone 35mm. Digital is much too easy of a way to go.
[Reply]
McSmokey 02:55 PM 12-21-2009
I myself am working towards a Digital Nikon but with a baby coming in January my camera will probably have to wait a few monthes
[Reply]
Mugen910 02:57 PM 12-21-2009

Thanks for the info blueface & wolfgang.

Nikon D3000

My cousin is letting me borrow his 200mm lens he got at Circuit City when they were closing their B&Ms. You said it's a crap to be able to zoom too much right?
[Reply]
Wolfgang 02:58 PM 12-21-2009
I took this picture using only my cameras on board flash.

picture info.
18mm
F7.1
1/200 sec
ISO 400

[Reply]
Wolfgang 03:00 PM 12-21-2009
Nikon D3000

My cousin is letting me borrow his 200mm lens he got at Circuit City when they were closing their B&Ms. You said it's a crap to be able to zoom too much right?
I think its great to have the capability to zoom. As long as there is enough ambient or supplemental light you are golden :-)
[Reply]
DBall 03:01 PM 12-21-2009
Do any off-brand ones work close to as good? That flash is more expensive than my 55-200 lens!
[Reply]
DBall 03:03 PM 12-21-2009
I took this picture using only my cameras on board flash.

picture info.
18mm
F7.1
1/200 sec
ISO 400

What about quicker moving things like kickflips/tre flips/etc. where the board is whipping around... have you taken any of those?

Seeing pictures like this confirms that I have no clue what I'm doing with my camera...
[Reply]
kgoings 03:05 PM 12-21-2009
Do any off-brand ones work close to as good? That flash is more expensive than my 55-200 lens!
If you want a good blog on strobs and lighting check out

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

he has a deal setup for packages here

http://www.mpex.com/page.htm?PG=Strobist%20Kits
[Reply]
Page 17 of 220
« First < 7151617 18192767117 > Last »
Up