Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 17 of 33
« First < 7151617 181927 > Last »
Sports>Packer fan thoughts
pektel 10:39 AM 09-25-2012
Will it hinder ticket sales enough to black out games that would normally be televised?

I mean, it's not a big deal to flip the channel on Sunday to check out the game. But entirely another thing to actually visit the venue and watch the debauchery live and in person. To me, it would have an effect on whether or not I buy a ticket, sit in traffic, pay $9 for a beer, etc.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:59 AM 09-25-2012
Why didn't they review the play at a minimum? I'd rather drag the game out than end it with questionable calls.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:03 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Why didn't they review the play at a minimum? I'd rather drag the game out than end it with questionable calls.
I beilve touchdowns in the finals minutes are automatically reviewed....this one just wasn't reversed.
[Reply]
sevans105 11:05 AM 09-25-2012
Fine me and use the money to pay the regular refs,” Packers guard T.J. Lang

Couldn't have said it better myself.
[Reply]
TJarv 11:07 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
It was reviewed
[Reply]
Stephen 11:13 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I beilve touchdowns in the finals minutes are automatically reviewed....this one just wasn't reversed.
Every scoring play is now reviewed, Tom. I know being a Bears fan and all, you don't get to witness this much. But it does happen. :-):-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:19 AM 09-25-2012
If it takes the Packers getting screwed every week so that I don't have to hear about Tim Tebow anymore, I'm down.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:30 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Stephen:
Every scoring play is now reviewed, Tom. I know being a Bears fan and all, you don't get to witness this much. But it does happen. :-):-)
Originally Posted by shilala:
If it takes the Packers getting screwed every week so that I don't have to hear about Tim Tebow anymore, I'm down.
Two great quotes!!

:-)
[Reply]
King James 11:31 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
From my understanding, it was only reviewed to the extent that both players stayed in bounds and had the ball. A "simultaneous catch" cannot be changed by review, even if the ref was wrong to determine the play last night as a simultaneous catch, the fact that he did means the play cannot be changed.

Granted, I've been busy at school and away from a TV all day, so haven't heard anything else since last night.
[Reply]
Stephen 11:47 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by King James:
From my understanding, it was only reviewed to the extent that both players stayed in bounds and had the ball. A "simultaneous catch" cannot be changed by review, even if the ref was wrong to determine the play last night as a simultaneous catch, the fact that he did means the play cannot be changed.

Granted, I've been busy at school and away from a TV all day, so haven't heard anything else since last night.
NFL's, "official" statement (emphasis mine):

Originally Posted by :
In Monday's game between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, Seattle faced a 4th-and-10 from the Green Bay 24 with eight seconds remaining in the game.

Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson threw a pass into the end zone. Several players, including Seattle wide receiver Golden Tate and Green Bay safety M.D. Jennings, jumped into the air in an attempt to catch the ball.

While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

The result of the game is final.

Applicable rules to the play are as follows:

A player (or players) jumping in the air has not legally gained possession of the ball until he satisfies the elements of a catch listed here.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3 of the NFL Rule Book defines a catch:

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

When a player (or players) is going to the ground in the attempt to catch a pass, Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 states:

Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 5 states:

Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

[Reply]
OLS 12:01 PM 09-25-2012
I sure am glad I am boycotting the entire NFL.
[Reply]
TJarv 12:11 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by OLS:
I sure am glad I am boycotting the entire NFL.
If this keeps up I'll join the cause
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:33 PM 09-25-2012
Can't wait for the familiar faces of the NFL ref's to come back.
[Reply]
Justinphilly 12:45 PM 09-25-2012
Of course the NFL made the statement they did. I have to imagine Goodell realizes it was the wrong call, but he HAS to support the replacements. I love Drew Brees' comments, "Ironic that our league punishes those based on conduct detrimental. Whose CONDUCT is DETRIMENTAL now?"
[Reply]
icehog3 01:27 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Stephen:
Only the defense! :-)

Scott.....psssst.......Tim Tebow. :-)
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 02:43 PM 09-25-2012
Yep the Packers have the ball.

[Reply]
icehog3 02:46 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1:
Yep the Packers have the ball.

And thanks to the refs, the loss. :-)
[Reply]
mkarnold1 03:30 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Thank you Stephen, that's pretty much the rule I was referring too. I hate it when people cut out parts of rules to try to make their point. Shame on you mkarnold1... that's all I can say.
I was just trying to get a rise out of the packers fans out there. And I did. It is really easy to pick it apart after seeing the play in slow motion and make a big stink about it. The refs on the field do not have that luxury. At regular speed it looked very much like a simultaneous catch, the ref made the call he thought was right based on the information he had at the time and in accordance with the rule as he understood. The reason I did not put the second part of that rule in there, although I did read it, is that the referee on the field was calling the play a simultaneous catch and thus, a TD for the seahawks and at that point in time the next part of the rule is superfluous. After the TD call was made, it is very difficult to overturn because you cannot overturn possession based on instant replay. You know what I hate? When people say "shame on you". :-)
[Reply]
King James 03:45 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by mkarnold1:
I was just trying to get a rise out of the packers fans out there. And I did. It is really easy to pick it apart after seeing the play in slow motion and make a big stink about it. The refs on the field do not have that luxury. At regular speed it looked very much like a simultaneous catch, the ref made the call he thought was right based on the information he had at the time and in accordance with the rule as he understood. The reason I did not put the second part of that rule in there, although I did read it, is that the referee on the field was calling the play a simultaneous catch and thus, a TD for the seahawks and at that point in time the next part of the rule is superfluous. After the TD call was made, it is very difficult to overturn because you cannot overturn possession based on instant replay. You know what I hate? When people say "shame on you". :-)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-debacle-too/
[Reply]
mkarnold1 04:18 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by King James:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-debacle-too/
Thanks for posting this article, it makes my point for me. Although Mike Florio makes the completely wrong statement "Make no mistake about it. This one could have been overturned. Rule 15, Section 9 makes the question of whether a pass was “ruled complete/incomplete/intercepted” subject to replay review, with no exception for questions of simultaneous possession."

The fact that no mention is given for simultaneous possession means that it cannot be reviewed, not that it can be. The question of possession is not one that can be reviewed, specifically because it is not on this list of situations that CAN be reviewed.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 33
« First < 7151617 181927 > Last »
Up