Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 17 of 53
« First < 7151617 181927 > Last »
Sports>*2009 MLB Thread*
MedicCook 10:50 PM 06-12-2009
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
I just watched the replay:-)
Getting lucky is nice every now and then.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 04:43 AM 06-13-2009
Red Sox take it in the 13th, Lester was dominate again 2 hits and 11 k's in seven.
Saito gives up the game tier in the 9th ,but the Sox win it in the 13th.
Jon Lester what can you say about this kid the best lefty in the game, 34 k's in his last three games.
I don't feel good about today with Dice-K, pitching he want's to make me scratch my eyes out, I would like to see him gone but the Sox are stuck with him for three more years,he has a no trade maybe a west coast would take him closer to Japan:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:43 AM 06-13-2009
My Mets give new meaning to losing...and to that yanks no less!!! I am walking around with my head hung low today!
[Reply]
VTDragon 09:58 AM 06-15-2009
Sox take 2 of 3 from Phillies. Still in first by 2 games:-). Beckett had a bad day Sunday, but I guess they can't all be good ones. The team looks very tired right now.

Next up after a much needed day off; the Marlins. Media is projecting John Smoltz will start against them on Thursday. The big question for the Sox is: who goes to make room for Smoltz, both on the team and in the rotation? Gee .... I wonder if Dice-K hurt his arm/shoulder/wrist/earlobe in his rain delayed 4 inning stint on Saturday?
[Reply]
PeteSB75 10:15 AM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by VTDragon:
Sox take 2 of 3 from Phillies. Still in first by 2 games:-). Beckett had a bad day Sunday, but I guess they can't all be good ones. The team looks very tired right now.

Next up after a much needed day off; the Marlins. Media is projecting John Smoltz will start against them on Thursday. The big question for the Sox is: who goes to make room for Smoltz, both on the team and in the rotation? Gee .... I wonder if Dice-K hurt his arm/shoulder/wrist/earlobe in his rain delayed 4 inning stint on Saturday?
Hey, don't hate on him too much. He was over-tired coming in to the season. He worked too much in the WBC. Give him a couple weeks off and I think you'll see him return to something closer to last year's form. They can spare him easily, with Smoltz starting back from surgery and Buckholtz and Masterson both able to start if needed.

I find it interesting how long Sox fans will hold on to the slightest glimmer of hope that Papi is not done, but they start turning on Matsuzaka the moment he shows any weakness. He was our best pitcher last year.
[Reply]
VTDragon 10:41 AM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
... I find it interesting how long Sox fans will hold on to the slightest glimmer of hope that Papi is not done, but they start turning on Matsuzaka the moment he shows any weakness. He was our best pitcher last year.
Well he had a lot of wins, that does not necessarily make him the best pitcher. He rarely got out of the sixth inning and had the most run support of any Sox pitcher. I admit to being one of Papi's fans who don't want to give up on him and your'e right, I'm almost eager to throw Dice-K under the bus.

Why? I think it's a combination of the fact that it is really hard to dislike Ortiz and it's really hard to watch Dice-K pitch.

Papi is a genuine big kid playing a game he loves and you can't help but root for him. At one point during his slump he was very frustrated and did not want to talk to the media. He simply said to them "Just put down that Papi stinks". Hard to picture many other major leaguers saying that. We also remember all his contributions to the series wins in 04 and 07. As for Matsuzaka, he fiddles and diddles and nibbles the corners and never seems to bear down and challenge a hitter until a couple of guys are on base. He seems to shake off Variteck more than he listens to him and is downright stubborn in his approach to pitching. Sometimes it is downright excruciating to watch. Finally, he seems downright distant to the average fan. Yea, I know there is a big language and cultural gulf there, but that doesn't change this fans' perceptions.
[Reply]
PeteSB75 11:41 AM 06-15-2009
I'm not trying to start an argument or put you on the defensive. I am a Boston fan myself. I was just pointing out the difference in fan treatment of the two.

In Ortiz's case, he has obviously been frustrated and pushing for most of this season. He's had a few homers and a few hits, but he's not close even to his form of last year, which was down quite a bit from the year before. I would let him rest for a week or two and maybe play a week or two at the farm teams before bringing him back up and seeing where he stands. He's the DH, with no contribution to the team but his hitting, which is just not doing it. He'll get some rest anyway over the next few weeks with inter-league play, but I would put Lowell in the DH spot and get another bat in there.

In Daisuke's case, between the language issue and the fact that no-one in the US media or fan base bothers to even try to spell his name, can you blame him for being distant? I guess I don't have a problem with him being stubborn and shaking off Varitek. Tek is good, but he's obviously not always on the same wavelength as Masuzaka. He's also struggled this year, mostly due to overwork during the WBC. I'd let him rest on the DL for a bit. With Smoltz back from surgery shortly and Buchholz and Masterson both waiting in the wings and able to start, they can definitely spare him.

It's a long season, and a few weeks off won't hurt either guy when they need him to perform at his peak, in September and October, not June.
[Reply]
VTDragon 12:26 PM 06-15-2009
In Daisuke's case, .... I'd let him rest on the DL for a bit. With Smoltz back from surgery shortly and Buchholz and Masterson both waiting in the wings and able to start, they can definitely spare him.
I agree about Matsuzaka, but think they should keep Papi in the lineup as much as possible. Hey, 3 HRs in the last 7 games ..maybe he is coming out of it :-) .... hmmmm, I guess that proves your first point.
[Reply]
PeteSB75 12:39 PM 06-15-2009
I agree about Matsuzaka, but think they should keep Papi in the lineup as much as possible. Hey, 3 HRs in the last 7 games ..maybe he is coming out of it :-) .... hmmmm, I guess that proves your first point.
Ortiz has also been hitting about .320 over the last 10 games, (9 hits in his last 28 at bats) so I think this discussion would have more meaning a week or two ago, but still. I think he would have gotten back to good form sooner had he had time on the bench sooner. Francona only sat him for what, 3 games?
[Reply]
VTDragon 02:43 PM 06-15-2009
I think he would have gotten back to good form sooner had he had time on the bench sooner. Francona only sat him for what, 3 games?
You may be right, though I read a report (in the Herald I think) that it was his father coming to visit him that lifted him out of his funk.

Who knows? All I know is that the Sox have been a lot of fun to watch so far this year.:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:44 PM 06-15-2009
You may be right, though I read a report (in the Herald I think) that it was his father coming to visit him that lifted him out of his funk.

Who knows? All I know is that the Sox have been a lot of fun to watch so far this year.:-)
Ortiz was homesick??? Is that what a reporter wrote??? I've heard it ALL now.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 06:31 PM 06-15-2009
Yankees had a good weekend. First win was a gift, second win was an absolute beat down. I think that was easily the worst start of Santana's career so far.

I have tickets to Thursdays game against the Nats, hope the freakin' rain lets up for a bit.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 06:21 AM 06-16-2009
Conspiracy or Not?
Clay Buchholz gave an interview were he basically came out and said bring me up or trade me.
Clay was supposed to pitch last night in Pawtucket,
The game was rained out but it did not rain?
At game time there were a few sprinkles but the rain system had already passed? :-)
[Reply]
PeteSB75 06:37 AM 06-16-2009
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
Conspiracy or Not?
Clay Buchholz gave an interview were he basically came out and said bring me up or trade me.
Clay was supposed to pitch last night in Pawtucket,
The game was rained out but it did not rain?
At game time there were a few sprinkles but the rain system had already passed? :-)
He had one perfect game and did jack **** otherwise while in the majors. Seems a bit much to base your demands on. I mean, I guess they could bring him up for some bullpen help, but it sounds like the kid wants to start. Doesn't look likely unless someone gets hurt. <sarcasm> And shenanigans like that will, of couse, quickly endear him to the fan base </sarcasm>
[Reply]
VTDragon 09:36 AM 06-16-2009
Conspiracy or Not?
He is pitching lights out in AAA and wants another shot at the majors. I really can't blame him for that.

As the trading deadline approaches it will be interesting to see what the Sox will do. They obviously have a surplus of pitchers, (which most everyone needs) and just as obviously need a big bat at DH, (assuming Big Papi continues his decline). I would not be surprised to see Brad Penney traded for a hitter, DiceK sent to the bullpen and Buchholz promoted ... all just before the trading deadline.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 09:55 AM 06-16-2009
I have read Saito's name has come up for trade, he almost went to Texas for Blalock but Hamilton went down.
I could see him or Delcarmen going for a power hitter.
Ortiz is done, what is on a pace to hit 12 hrs?
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 03:38 PM 06-16-2009
Sammy Sosa was on steroids, who would have thunk :-)
What a fraud corked bats, steroids, it kind of make you look at all the Dominican ball players?
Manny, A-rod, Sosa, and who knows who else?
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:33 PM 06-16-2009
They need to quit BSing and just release the entire list of 104...STOP singling out specific players.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 04:47 PM 06-16-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
They need to quit BSing and just release the entire list of 104...STOP singling out specific players.
The list was supposed to be confidential and not for release.
The MLB offices have a major leak.
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:41 PM 06-16-2009
The list was supposed to be confidential and not for release.
The MLB offices have a major leak.
Exactly...if ARod and Sosa have been released...release the whole list!!! It isn't fair to those two to get hammered in the media...let all the names out, or none at all. As much as I can't stand Arod, not a big fan of Sosa either...but these guys should have been protected by MLB offices. I agree with you, their offices have a major leak...but selective.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 53
« First < 7151617 181927 > Last »
Up