Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 17 of 20
« First < 7151617 1819 > Last »
Sports>College Hoops Thread '10-'11
rebelknight 07:38 PM 03-10-2011
Absolutely the coach for Rutgers handled it properly and I agree that the refs didn't take the win away. I was just noting that it's sad to see a game decided in that fashion. Aside from the ball throw, the travel and stepping out of bounds I saw a few other fouls but what can you do? Cuse Uconn should be very interesting though. Kemba is playing out of his mind but Cuse is playing well also along with only playing their 2nd game in a row compared to UCONN's 4 in a row.

Now to the Big 10. Does OSU have to worry, after seeing Kansas win by a point and seeing Pitt go 1 and done? How much more work does MSU have to do? Good day of basketball tomorrow is all I know.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:25 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by rebelknight:
Absolutely the coach for Rutgers handled it properly and I agree that the refs didn't take the win away. I was just noting that it's sad to see a game decided in that fashion. Aside from the ball throw, the travel and stepping out of bounds I saw a few other fouls but what can you do? Cuse Uconn should be very interesting though. Kemba is playing out of his mind but Cuse is playing well also along with only playing their 2nd game in a row compared to UCONN's 4 in a row.

Now to the Big 10. Does OSU have to worry, after seeing Kansas win by a point and seeing Pitt go 1 and done? How much more work does MSU have to do? Good day of basketball tomorrow is all I know.
No doubt is is a shame when the refs ruin a good game for the players and the fans. As for Orange/Huskies, neither has a sterling record in the Big East tourney, and both can have bad games. U. Conn may indeed have tired legs, but if Walker can hit some open shots over that 'Cuse zone they will have a decent chance tonight.

I think both OSU an KU were locks as 1-seeds, regardless of what they did in the conference tourneys. Now that both have survived scares, I believe they are double-locks. And the Spartans do now have 19 wins, so maybe they are safely off the bubble. Still, we do have a number of automatics left to determine, which can always steal at-large bids, so we will have to wait until Sunday.

Update shortly.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:45 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
\Pitt is out, and The extra help from the refs was not there today for St. Johns, as the Orange knock them out today. Be interesting to see if the Cards can hold out.

Hopefully, tomorrow's closing will be at lunch.

Pitt is also one of those quality teams that does not seem to perform well in tournaments. And the Johnnies lost the game, but worse for them they lost their senior guard D.J. Kennedy with a torn ACL. This will hurt them in NCAA play, and might even drop them a spot in the seedings. As for Louisville, I see them having some trouble stopping Notre Dame from scoring at will on them, if they continue to hit shots like they have been. But it should be a good game, for most of it anyway. Plus, you never know who'll show up when the pressure's on.

I also hope you get a short day, and get to check some action.

I promise, update soon.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:47 PM 03-11-2011
Conference tournament action continues all across the country, with too many games to mention. So again I will only post about those I see as having potential NCAA Tourney impact, and leave you guys to post your own teams if you wish. In the balance of last night's contests:

Maryland 75 - N. C. State 67 = The Terps are trying to get back onto the bubble, in the hopes that they can even make it back over. This was a good start.

Michigan State 66 - Iowa 61 = And though the Spartans were closer to that bubble than the Terps, it's the same story here.

Virginia Tech 59 - Georgia Tech 43 = And the same for the Hokies here.

Oregon 76 - UCLA 59 = And though this truly should have no impact on the NCAAs, it does surprise me that the Bruins lost so badly to the lousy Ducks, and does not bode well for their survival in the Dance.

In today's games we have already seen:

Ohio State 67 - Northwestern 61 (OT) = The Buckeyes survive a real scare from the lowly Wildcats. Although I don't think they would have lost their 1-seed had they dropped this, it does make it easier on the Selection Committee that they won. Plus, like I said earlier, about the Kansas scare, sometimes a game like this gets a team's attention. And they weren't the only ones who got a wake-up call.

North Carolina 61 - Miami 59 = Down by 19 points with time getting low in the 2nd half, the Heels start hitting some 3s, and stop turning the ball over, and make a late run. Tyler Zeller lays the ball in at the buzzer for the W. Had they lost, they may or may not have also lost their 2-seed, but they could have kissed goodbye their admittedly outside chance of a 1-seed goodbye.

Alabama 65 - Georgia 59 (OT) = This might be the win that gets the poorly-considered Tide into the Dance, and might also be the loss that knocks the 'Dawgs out.

St. Joseph's 93 - Duquesne 90 (OT) = What? The lowly Hawks are still alive in A-10 play? Who'd a thunk? Not me for sure. Keep an eye on their next game, as this could become one of those unexpected "automatics" that steal an at-large from a bubble team.

Clemson 70 - Boston College 47 = Wow, what a spanking. The Tigers can breathe a little easier now about their at-large hopes, while things get a little tight in the Eagles' craws.

Michigan 60 - Illinois 55 = And this may be the exact same situation, with the Logans punching a ticket while punching out the Illini at the same time.

Other games of note to follow include:

Lafayette vs. Bucknell = This will be the automatic for the Patriot League.

Kansas vs. Colorado = KU won't lose their 1-seed if they lose this game. As for the Buffaloes, they have had a relatively weak non-conference schedule, which matters a lot when it comes down to picking the last few teams to make the cut. But if they can beat the Jayhawks, all that is moot.

Michigan State vs. Purdue = Same thing here. Maybe the Spartans have played themselves into an at-large, but a victory over the 'Makers would seal that.

Duke vs. Maryland = And the same thing for the Terps in this one. I'm sorry if they finished with a losing record in ACC play . . . if they beat Dook in the tourney you HAVE to give them a bid. As for the Blue Devils, they know they still have a chance for a 1-seed, but not if they lose this game.

East Carolina vs. Memphis = If your team is one of those "iffy" bubble teams, then you'd better be cheering for the Memphis Tigers tonight. If the Pirates survive, then take the CUSA sutomatic tomorrow, your squad may be NIT'ting instead.

Virginia Tech vs. Florida State = I'm not sure the Seminoles have much to either win or lose tonight. They have earned an at-large, and could maybe move up a seeding or two with a seriour run this weekend, but they won't move significantly far. However, the Hokies can remove most of the doubters from the Committee regarding their at-large qualifications with a win.

That's about it for me tonight. Enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
jcruse64 12:41 PM 03-12-2011
Wow! Figured UL was all done in when I dozed off last night. Wifey tells me this morning that they survived, after the Irish caught a cold in the 2nd. Great win for UConn, too.

UK is currently hitting on all 12 cylinders against the Tide. I WOULD say this is done, but it IS UK, and there's 9 minutes left, and it's not in Rupp :-).

Boston U just won their cliffhanger of a final and picks up their dancing shoes!

THE OSU and Michigan are at the half, 31-27 OSU in a close game.

Speaking of THE OSU, this is off-topic, but anyone heard the story on ESPN's Kirk Herbstriet reportedly saying he's moving from his homeland to Nashvile, TN, because the 5-10% of THE OSU fans are just too mean and he can't take any more abuse from them over how fair an analyst he must be? (That was a long sentence) Read it this morning, then heard Dino, on Mad Dog Radio, talking about it. Dino says it smells fishy, and I gotta agree. Unless he's got a stalker like the Roll Tide Tree Killer stalking his kids or something.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:09 PM 03-12-2011
Will comment shortly, but since my Heels just scored the last 5 points to send their game with Clemson into OT I'm a bit busy at the moment.

:-)
[Reply]
rebelknight 01:35 PM 03-12-2011
Ohio State is wrapping things up nicely today after yesterdays scare. Penn St Michigan St has a little bit of hope to be interesting after Penn St beat Wisconsin off of 36 points but realistically if MSU plays like they did yesterday and PSU shoots like they did yesterday this game will just be embarressing. Big 12 final and Big East final should be fun. Can Kemba make it 5 games in 5 days? And do who does UNC play in the ACC final? So far its been a great weekend of basketball looking forward to tomorrows games and the selection show
[Reply]
The Poet 01:42 PM 03-12-2011
Originally Posted by rebelknight:
And do who does UNC play in the ACC final?
Well, first my Heels had to take care of Clemson in OT, 92-87, and will face the winner of the upcoming Duke/Virginia Tech game. UNC came from behind again to force the OT, built a nice lead early in the extra session, then made enough key plays and FTs to hold on for the win. Man, am I exhausted! BTW, the much-maligned freshman Harrison Barnes only scored 40 of those 92 points.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:55 PM 03-12-2011
Wow! Figured UL was all done in when I dozed off last night. Wifey tells me this morning that they survived, after the Irish caught a cold in the 2nd. Great win for UConn, too.

UK is currently hitting on all 12 cylinders against the Tide. I WOULD say this is done, but it IS UK, and there's 9 minutes left, and it's not in Rupp :-).

Boston U just won their cliffhanger of a final and picks up their dancing shoes!

THE OSU and Michigan are at the half, 31-27 OSU in a close game.

Speaking of THE OSU, this is off-topic, but anyone heard the story on ESPN's Kirk Herbstriet reportedly saying he's moving from his homeland to Nashvile, TN, because the 5-10% of THE OSU fans are just too mean and he can't take any more abuse from them over how fair an analyst he must be? (That was a long sentence) Read it this morning, then heard Dino, on Mad Dog Radio, talking about it. Dino says it smells fishy, and I gotta agree. Unless he's got a stalker like the Roll Tide Tree Killer stalking his kids or something.

Question now is, did Louisville hurt the Irish when it comes to a 1-seed? I don't think so, but we'll see.

Hey, UK doesn't lose EVERY road game, ya know?

Doesn't BU have to beat Stony Brook today to get the automatic? I could be wrong.

OSU/MSU likely means little in NCAA terms, as I think both are locks already.

And I've heard nothing about that guy fleeing Columbus for Nashville, but it probably has something to do with the recent Buckeye football scandal. The local ESPN radio people here are getting phone calls from Ohio saying how critics of OSU are jealous haters, and that everybody cheats. These analysts have replied they should just STFU, because they already get too much of this type of myopia from Kentucky. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 02:33 PM 03-12-2011
Big games from last night:

Arizona 67 - USC 62 = Does this end the Trojan hopes for a bid?

Bucknell 72 - Lafayette 57 = The Patriot automatic to Bucknell.

BYU 87 - New Mexico 76 = Aside from revenge, and maybe sealing BYU's 2-seed, this could keep the Lobos out.

Duke 87 - Maryland 71 = And this could keep the Terps out too. Also, since Nolan Smith hurt his toe late in this game, it could also mean problems for Dook.

Virginia Tech - Florida State 51 = I really don't see how the Committee can keep the Hokies out now.

Menphis 76 - East Carolina 56 = For those holding their breath waiting to see if they get an at-large, this helps by taking one joker out of the deck.

Louisville 83 - Notre Dame 77 (OT) = It might move the Cards up a notch in the seedings, and might not cost the Irish their 1-seed.

Michigan State 74 - Purdue 56 = If there was any doubt before about the Spartans dancing, this removes it.

U. Conn 76 - Syracuse 71 (OT) = Kemba Walker makes it 4 in a row. Can he make it 5 against Pitino's boys?

San Diego State 74 - UNLV 72 = This likely seals a 2-seed for the Aztecs.

Texas 70 - Texas A&M 58 = And this keeps the Longhorns in the hunt too, while moving A&M down a notch.

Penn State 36 - Wisconsin 33 = Yes that is not a misprint, and not a football score either. Are the Lions playing themselves into an at-large? Ehhhhhhhh, I dunno.

St. Mary's 77 - Weber State 54 = And does this "extra" game help the Gaels, or have they already played themselves out of a bid? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Today we have a ton of automatics on the line, with some already over:

Boston U. 56 - Stony Brook 54 = Hey, maybe that's what you meant above, Joe! Sorry, but I've been a bit distracted by what's happening down in Greensboro. BU takes the American East.

Memphis 67 - UTEP 66 = And the Tigers take the CUSA. Now we'll have to wait and see how many at-large bids the Big Mouth Conference leaves for the rest of us.

Hampton 60 - Morgan State 55 = Hampton takes the MEAC automatic.

Harvard vs. Princeton = This Ivy one-game playoff just tipped off at Yale's neutral court.

McNeese State vs. UT San Antonio = This will give us the Southland automatic.

Akron vs. Kent State = And this is the MAC championship.

Long Beach State vs. UC Santa Barbara = The Big West automatic here.

Alabama State vs. Grambling = And the Southwestern Athletic one here.

Other big scores and games include:

Kentucky 72 - Alabama 58 = As noted, the Wildcats don't always have to be in Rupp to win. Maybe the Tide did enough so far to earn an at-large, but if this score is any indication they won't Dance for long.

Ohio State 68 - Michigan 61 = But maybe the Wolverines can win a game or two more this season. As for the Buckeyes, they have done what they needed to do, but have NOT played as well as they did last week.

Duke vs. Virginia Tech = If the Blue Devils want to keep hopes of stealing a 1-seed, and of getting a rematch with the Tar Heels, they have to put the Hokies down. So far so good, as they've gotten a slim lead midway through the 1st half.

Michigan State vs. Penn State = Since I think Izzo's team has already sealed an at-large, this one is much more important for the Nittany Lions. As I type, they are down 6 points, but it is very early.

Texas vs. Kansas = The Jayhawks have their 1-seed already, but want some revenge against the 'Horns. UT is in the running for a 2-seed, and this would help them a lot. This should be fun.

San Diego State vs. BYU = Here are two more looking for 2-seeds, but with about 6 other squads fighting for the same this could be key. The Aztecs haven't been able to beat the Cougars yet. However, it isn't easy to beat a good team 3 times in the same campaign. This could be another barn-burner.

There are other good games out there, but I've run outta time, and energy. Besides, in about 26 hours it will all be academic anyway, so who cares? See you Monday. Until then, enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
jcruse64 05:58 PM 03-12-2011
A REALLY good game going between Arizona and Washington, with 6 and change left to go. Rooting for Washington, they're a scrappy team! And the 2nd coming of Isaiah Thomas????
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:38 PM 03-12-2011
Holy Smokes, whatta finish, as Washington beats the "other" Cats to win the PAC-10 tourney in overtime on a last second shot!!!!

One of the best games of the conferences' post season, so far.

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!! :-):-):-)
[Reply]
jcruse64 07:00 PM 03-12-2011
Not a close game at all, at least in the 2nd, but SDSU finally breaks BYU's mojo and beats them by 18 for the Mountain West championship. Poet was right, it:-) tough to beat a team 3 times in a row.
[Reply]
jcruse64 09:15 PM 03-12-2011
5 wins in 5 days, UCONN beats UL. Very good game also. Feel bad for the UL kid who missed freebie #2, then hit freebie #3. Still, they had a good look for the tie, it just didn't make it. I really thought UCONN's legs would be gone for this game, even though these are kids. Walker looked good again.
[Reply]
jcruse64 05:53 PM 03-13-2011
Great SEC tourney, and UK appears to be coming on strong in time for the Dance!!!!

Figured THE would win out today, and they did well.

Really expected a better game for the ACC; Duke never let NC have a chance, from what I saw. Figured this would lock one of the #1's for Dook, and it did.

Some really good games this last week!

Just got back in, so I'm still digesting the brackets. But...Florida a #2 and UK a #4?!?!?!?!?!? And SDSU a #2?!?!?!?!?!?!? I'd have given UCONN the #2 over SDSU or Florida. I really thought UK might have landed a #3.

Very interesting that Morehead State draws a #13 and plays UL. Would have been so great if Murray had won and pulled that game.

We have a great couple of weeks coming up!!!
[Reply]
The Poet 02:13 PM 03-14-2011
Right on ALL points above, Joe. As for the seedings, there are a few I don't understand myself, as there always are, but I've never put much importance in those anyway. No matter where you're seeded, who you're playing, or where, you STILL have to win the games eventually, so what's the big diff?

This looks to be a wide-open Tourney, with at least a dozen teams having a legitimate shot, with maybe another dozen dark horses to boot. So at this point I have only one "lock" of a prediction: The Big Mouth Conference will set a new NCAA record by recording the largest number of losses in tournament history. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 03:51 PM 03-14-2011
I considered doing an update today on the weekend games and conference tourneys, but decided that everyone who has cared all year already know what's what anyway, so what's the point? And as for you guys who only start paying attention to college hoops around St. Patrick's Day, and view that "holiday" and March Madness in much the same light . . . an excuse for you to skip work and drink beer . . . then I shall be willing to reply to any questions or comments you may have (to the best of my ability), but otherwise I'll wait until the play-in games tomorrow for a post.
[Reply]
smelly4tay 05:11 PM 03-14-2011
Just got back in, so I'm still digesting the brackets. But...Florida a #2 and UK a #4?!?!?!?!?!? And SDSU a #2?!?!?!?!?!?!? I'd have given UCONN the #2 over SDSU or Florida. I really thought UK might have landed a #3.
good points.

I might be bias but i thought UW was going to get better than a 7 seed. Huskies are going to demolish Georgia!!:-)
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:52 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by smelly4tay:
good points.

I might be bias but i thought UW was going to get better than a 7 seed. Huskies are going to demolish Georgia!!:-)
I agree on both points. I really didn't think the Bulldogs should have gotten in, even though I'm a SEC fan. Good luck to your Huskies!!!
[Reply]
The Poet 03:31 PM 03-15-2011
A bit of housecleaning news before I give the games. Yesterday Jeff Capel was fired as coach of Oklahoma after posting his 2nd losing season in a row. OK, fine, I get that. But those seasons followed two where he took a Sooner team to a pair of consecutive NCAA appearances despite handcuffed by NCAA restrictions inherited from Kelvin Sampson. It also followed two seasons of bonuses and paybumbs for Capel, as well as a contract extension. Yes, there were some more problems with shady players and assistant coaches, and the potential of further sanctions looming for OU, and it is only fair that the head coach takes the heat for this. But for a school's administration to expect a coach . . . ANY COACH . . . to rebuild a program without a few bumps in the road is totally unreasonable. And this is from a Tar Heel, defending a Dook puke too!

Also, Sidney Lowe has resigned from the head coaching job at N. C. State. If you've been paying any attention the last two years, this comes as no surprise . . . unless it is because he quit before he was canned. This Wolfpack alum who was a member of their improbable national championship team in 1983 (yes, that clip with Jimmy V running around the court looking for somebody to hug) never seemed to be able to get his alma mater back on track during his 5-year tenure, going 86-78 overall but just 25-55 in ACC play. To add insult to injury, he was 7-33 in ACC road games, losing 13 of 16 to Duke and UNC. There are a LOT of things a Wolfpack fan will forgive (lifting aspirins from a drugstore, mugging a pizza delivery kid on campus, breaking into a classmate's dorm room to steal his stereo, or putting more time into writing cookbooks or making analyst appearances on CBS than to watching out for the young players under your charge), but losing to the other 2 legs of The Triangle? No way.

Play begins tonight in both the NCAAs, with the "play-in" games, and in the first round of the NIT. It also begins in the CBI and the CIT Tournaments, but this will be the first and last time I mentioned these "also-rans" tourneys, unless YOUR team is in one of them, and YOU bring up the subject. So, for the two tournaments which, to me, have some meaning, we have these in the NCAAs tonight:

UNC Asheville vs. AR Little Rock = Fans of these two may feel slighted that they need to play this game in order to advance to the "real" brackets, but I look at it much differently. This may be their best, or their ONLY, chance to ever win an NCAA game, so they should relish the opportunity. I really don't know much about either team, but I'll go with UNC-A here, and not just because they are from my home state. I seem to recall they beat Charleston, and this means a lot in my book.

Clemson vs. UAB = But here we have two pretty good teams . . . so good, in fact, that I really don't understand why they are forced to "play in" to the Tourney. Are you really telling me that a Hampton, a Northern Colorado, a Wofford, or an Akron are better than these two? Yeah, I know these extra games are for the "at-large" crowd, but let's have a little common sense here too.

In the NIT, on the home courts of the higher-ranked teams, we have:

Coastal Carolina vs. Alabama = Many of the Tide fans feel they got hosed by not getting a bid to the NCAAs. If you've been reading this thread, you saw I predicted as much weeks ago. Yeah, they beat a Georgia team that did make the field of 68 (though some question why), but their SoS and RPI was hideous. If you don't play good competition, you cannot possible score points with the Committee.

Vermont vs. Cleveland State = This should be a pretty decent game between well-matched squads.

Dayton vs. Charleston = As should this one, with CoC trying to redeem their late-season collapse by knocking the Flyers out of what has become their own personal tournament.

Harvard vs. Oklahoma State = Oak State has the bodies, and the Crimson have the brains. For that alone this will be interesting.

Murray State vs. Missouri State = And here are two good mid-majors which fell juuuuust short of making The Dance. Both feel like they have something to prove, and I expect a war. And what do YOU think, Joe?

Fairfield vs. Colorado State = I know the Stags had a decent season, and can only assume that CSU did also. Other than that, I hold no opinion.

UTEP vs. New Mexico = Here are two more teams that had to be in the discussion for at-large bids to the NCAAs, so I hope for a very good game.

Boston College vs. McNeese State = BC was also one of those bubble teams who did not make the cut, and may feel disrespected for it. Well, let's see them make their case by whuppin' up on McNeese tonight.

Kent State vs. St. Mary's = And though Kent State had no shot at an at-large, St. Mary's certainly did. In fact, had they not stumbled down the stretch, they may have joined Gonzaga in The Dance. Much like the BC game above, they need to step up tonight in order to prove their point.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 20
« First < 7151617 1819 > Last »
Up