Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
BigFrank 05:38 PM 01-08-2010
Assistance night tonight.
Rows
cable stuff
rear delt / upper back stuff
biceps
Chris. 09:06 AM 01-09-2010
Can you guys offer up some good chest workout suggestions? I work chest every time I go to the gym, and it never feels sore, but my torso/chest is not in the shape I want it to be. I usually do the typical bench excercises with 8 -10reps and 4 sets: flat bench, incline, DB press, I occasionally do pushups at my house with these push up bars I have, and sometimes I do pec flys, but they don't seem to target my chest much at all. I'm trying desperately to get rid of the flab on my chest. :-)
icehog3 09:30 AM 01-09-2010
How many times a week do you go to the gym Chris? If you are training chest more than every third day, my opinion is you are overtraining it and actually going backwards. My goals are likely different, and I train chest every 4th or 5th day at most.

One suggestion is never do the same routine twice in a row. Vary the exercises used, the order of the exercises, the reps, the rest periods, etc. You have to keep muscles in a constant state of "confusion" or they adapt very quickly to the stress of lifting.
Chris. 09:58 AM 01-09-2010
I go monday, wednesday and friday. If I'm not to sore (legs and arms), I'll throw another day in between. My goal is to get back down to a 34 pants size by losing this belly of mine. Currently I'm a 38(was 34 in high school). And I want my chest to be defined and toned (along with my abs, but that's not what I'm focusing on ATM). When I get to the gym, I normally(lately) just jump right on a bech and work that, then go to legs and do squats, then power cleans, Then I'll go do some pulling excercises, and sometimes I'll go do pec flys and finish off with about a mile of running. Typically, I do a total body workout, I guess. For some reason, I feel like I'm wasting my time at the gym if I just go focus on one area, such as arms or legs. I wouldn't be in there more than 30-40 minutes if I did that.
icehog3 10:12 AM 01-09-2010
You definitely need to vary your chest exercises from workout to workout, Chris. Doing bench presses and flyes every workout will not give you continuous results as your chest will become used to that stress quickly.
Chris. 01:48 PM 01-09-2010
What kind of other excercises do you recommebd?
icehog3 03:58 PM 01-09-2010
I would vary what you start with...upper chest, middle chest, lower chest.

Upper chest is the incline movements...vary from barbell inclines to dumbbell inclnes from workout to workout. Dumbbell movements involve unilateral balance and a different ROM, so they will hit the chest differently.

For lower chest, dips are my favorite...rotate these from workout to workout with decline bench or decline dumbbell.

There are also some machines that are great finishing movements for chest, what you do here would be based on what your gym has to offer.

So maybe workout #1 for chest might include:
Bench press
DB Incline
Flyes

Number #2 could be:
Dips
DB Bench
Cable or machine finishing movement

Number #3:

Incline Bench
Decline Bench
Cable flyes

These are just examples....I believe in "instinctive training", in time you will know what works best for you. Obviously this isn't a suggestion for someone who is looking to make large strength gains, as I see you are more interested in firming up the chest.

Even though strength gains aren't your main priority, I would not train chest more often than every third day. I would also cycle heavier and lighter days, some days striving for 12-15 reps, other days 8-10, based on your specific goals.
Chris. 04:17 PM 01-09-2010
Thanks a lot for the tips Tom!
icehog3 04:23 PM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by Chris.:
Thanks a lot for the tips Tom!
Let me know if they help, or if you need any other suggestions Chris. :-)
Whipper Snapper 04:24 PM 01-09-2010
I've been doing pushups and situps everyday for the past two weeks... :-)
Chris. 04:37 PM 01-09-2010
Will do! :-)
BigFrank 07:21 PM 01-09-2010
I go monday, wednesday and friday. If I'm not to sore (legs and arms), I'll throw another day in between. My goal is to get back down to a 34 pants size by losing this belly of mine. Currently I'm a 38(was 34 in high school). And I want my chest to be defined and toned (along with my abs, but that's not what I'm focusing on ATM). When I get to the gym, I normally(lately) just jump right on a bech and work that, then go to legs and do squats, then power cleans, Then I'll go do some pulling excercises, and sometimes I'll go do pec flys and finish off with about a mile of running. Typically, I do a total body workout, I guess. For some reason, I feel like I'm wasting my time at the gym if I just go focus on one area, such as arms or legs. I wouldn't be in there more than 30-40 minutes if I did that.
Welcome to training 3 days a week my friend. So little time, so much to accomplish.
First off not to be a jerk but at your age training everything three times a week is going to be too much for you to handle. We could go into recovery time etc, but you are not being specific enough and doing too much in one day. Break your training down. Train smart. Notice I said Train not Lift Weights...
I would break your training down. Along with those three days I would add a 4th day dedicated to active recovery and cardio. After all you want to get some tone action back on track which is going to be losing weight and adding some muscle. Unless you are some freak with baggy skin...yuck.
Tom posted a good split for training chest. Although I would drop 1 exercise per session. The reps range can be tricky. Some guys grow with low reps, while some get stronger. To carry along with getting some "tone" work in, I would try to keep your main exercise ( any compound movements ) relatively heavy, 6-10 reps. Everything there after I would shoot for higher reps 12-20. Remember now your going 3 days a week. You're older, and if your like most folks you have zero time. So using exercises that allow you to get the best bang for your buck are what is going to work. 3 days a week remember. I agree with Tom as far as keeping it fresh, but this may be for guys who have a little more time under the bar.

The main exercise should be done with lower reps, but not low to where your form is sloppy dick all over the place.
Monday-
Squat
Lunges
Super set Leg curls w/ leg ext
Abs
Low intensity cardio 30min-40min

Wed-
Bench
Dips
Super set Cable cross overs w/ Pressdowns
High intensity cardio 15min-20min

Friday-
Deadlift
Mil Press
pull ups
super set bicep curl w/ calves and abs
low intensity cardo 30-40min

Wild Card day #4 Cardo low intensity 30min-40min
don't forget to warm up properly and to stretch after workouts.

Give it a shot. Keep your diet in check.
For Bench you could rotate between flat, incline or the same with dumbbells. Squat I would just squat, you could rotate with front squats. Deadlift, just deadlift maybe rack pulls or deficit pulling. Mil. Press could be done with barbell or dumbbells, do not do behind the neck presses. Remember though, if you are going to use dumbbells use them correctly. Dumbbells were not intended to be used to shorten ones range of motion to handle heavier weights, they were intended to give people a greater range of motion. ( I say "were" because no matter where to you people perform dumbbell chest exercises with a shortened range of motion and to be honest it's ****ing stupid. )
PeteSB75 04:00 PM 01-10-2010
Squat and dead this morning. Had a tough PT for my knee on Friday and have another on Monday, so nothing too outrageous.
The Professor 04:43 PM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
( I say "were" because no matter where to you people perform dumbbell chest exercises with a shortened range of motion and to be honest it's ****ing stupid. )
You mean like the people who grab 120s, have someone help them up with them, and then just barely bend their elbows before pushing them back up? That sh*t is awesome. :-)

:-)

Did a dynamic chest day -- 8 sets of 3 reps @ 60% with varied grips on the clock (crap ... just realized I left my watch velcro'd to the bench!). DB flat presses. Bent-over barbell rows. Reverse, close-grip bent-over rows. High, wide-grip bent-over rows (for rear delts). Machine flyes (makes me feel strong :-)). Superset internal & external shoulder rotations on the cable thing. I think that's it.

I should have done that stuff yesterday; but I was too lazy and felt a tad under the weather. Tomorrow is max effort lower. Think I might do some kneeling squats to fry my glutes. Maybe some heavy stiff-legged deads.

We'll see what I'm feeling like tomorrow....
Chris. 05:13 PM 01-10-2010
Thanks Frank! I wouldn't say I'm older though. I'm just 25, but 6 years of no workig out after high school ruined me. I just started working out again early last year.
BigFrank 06:57 PM 01-10-2010
Thanks Frank! I wouldn't say I'm older though. I'm just 25, but 6 years of no workig out after high school ruined me. I just started working out again early last year.
Oh my bad, I thought you were in your late 30's. But upon reading your post again, that is your pant size...Doesn't matter much though, with your experience and level of conditioning it will still benefit you a great deal.
The Professor 08:31 PM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
Oh my bad, I thought you were in your late 30's. But upon reading your post again, that is your pant size...Doesn't matter much though, with your experience and level of conditioning it will still benefit you a great deal.
I wish my pants size was my age! :-)
icehog3 09:04 PM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by The Professor:
I wish my pants size was my age! :-)
Not me!! :-) :-)

Had a super strong shoulder workout today, went heavy for low reps and got high reps instead. Wish every workout was like that. :-)
PeteSB75 06:36 AM 01-11-2010
I'm with Dokk on this one, at least for another year or two. Then my pant size needs to stay the same, and not increase with my age... :-)
The Professor 10:55 AM 01-11-2010
Got my ass handed to me by the squat today. 455 is really loud when you have to dump it on the safety bars of a power rack. :-)
Page 163 of 350
« First < 63113153161162163 164165173213263 > Last »
Up