Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 16 of 17
« First < 6141516 17 >
General Discussion>Let's see those '11 gardens!
jjirons69 02:12 PM 09-08-2011
Whoa, Tim, that's insane. Hope all is well.

BTW, I tilled the garden Monday and planted curly leaf mustard, purple top rutabagas, collards, and cabbage. Kept my GIANT jalapeno and bell pepper plants, as they are still producing well.
[Reply]
timj219 02:25 PM 09-08-2011
Four ft of water in the basement but looks like it's starting to recede now. I took the picture after I had finished bringing everything up from the basement that I could. There was nothing more I could do so I hung out on the back deck with some coffee and a La Riqueza and watched the susquehanna river flow through the back yard. If the tackle wasn't under water in the basement I would have dropped in a line - the river's good for muskies and smallmouth but I usually have to walk to get to them. :-)
As for the beets I'll definitely try them after the water goes back where it belongs if they didn't wash away.
[Reply]
Mr B 03:24 PM 09-08-2011
Wow Tim, thats a bummer. I hope it all turns out ok.
[Reply]
hotreds 12:04 PM 09-09-2011
beans looking good!

[Reply]
jjirons69 06:49 PM 09-19-2011
Hmmm....beans! Good job, Hugh.

Here's a couple of shots I took this evening. I've got 12 Blue Max collards, 4 Wakefield cabbage, 4 Catskill Brussel sprouts, a few short rows of curly mustard and a few short rows of purple top rutabagas. Didn't want to plant too much as my dad has hundreds of each planted and I know every visit to him will end with a car full of greens. I swear he feeds half his town and all of his immediate family.

Everything here is going along nicely.

Still getting bell peppers and jalapenos weekly.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 12:57 PM 09-21-2011
How my garden looks now.
A nice pear tree killed by a gopher. The roots looked like a beaver chewed on them under the ground. :-)
[Reply]
wayner123 05:01 PM 09-21-2011
Here is my fall garden so far:

The Contender green beans and soybeans are on the right side of the SFG. And the California Wonder Bell peppers are on the left.

The Tomato to the left in the nursery pot is one of the many jjirons sent me. It's a Orange Oxheart. The one in the nursery pot to the right is the Old German. Both doing well.

You can see the stalks of the remaining sunflowers my daughter and I planted. We already cut the heads and they are drying as we speak.

Here is a closer up of the SFG:

Here are a few blooms on the Orange Oxheart:

Here are the bell peppers. I counted 16 on one of the seven plants.

I had some bug problems early on, but I found a life saver. It's called Garden safe vegetable. It kills everything I have encountered so far.
[Reply]
Mr B 05:12 PM 09-21-2011
Lance, your tomatoes look lke they faired about as good as mine this year....Withered and weak. Another sub-par growing season plagued w/ cold foggy nights and cooler day time temps. We are just getting a heat wave now...to little too late. Oh well, next year.
[Reply]
shilala 05:15 PM 09-21-2011
I forgot I had a garden. It started with this cold rainy crap, so it should be finished up very soon. We might still get some really tough tomatoes, but I'd say that's about it.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 05:51 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Lance, your tomatoes look like they fared about as good as mine this year....Withered and weak. Another sub-par growing season plagued w/ cold foggy nights and cooler day time temps. We are just getting a heat wave now...too little too late. Oh well, next year.
All the tomatoes looked weak except one, at the end by the corn, pouring out into the walk way. That was a volunteer, looks like a Roma.
And yeah, I may just grow cold varieties next year.
[Reply]
Mr B 05:58 PM 09-21-2011
The only Toms that grew well for me this year were the Yellow Boys and I love em. Bell Peppers did decent too I guess. Tomatillos pumped out early but already have some sort of mildew on them.
[Reply]
mkarnold1 06:46 PM 09-21-2011
No pics of my garden, as it is ragged and ugly. But it produced a couple bushels of tomatoes, too many zucchini and enough green peppers, jalepenos, chilis and onions to make salsa and chili for most of the winter. All canned up now, it's getting in cold in MN.
[Reply]
hotreds 06:49 PM 09-27-2011
Beans turning!

[Reply]
jjirons69 06:56 PM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
The Tomato to the left in the nursery pot is one of the many jjirons sent me. It's a Orange Oxheart. The one in the nursery pot to the right is the Old German. Both doing well.

Ah, the pride only a father can feel!

Good job growing those babies from seed, Wayne. Can't wait to see your giant tomato garden this coming spring!! Wait until you plant one of those potato leaf varieties - it's quite a unique-looking plant.
[Reply]
jjirons69 11:09 AM 10-10-2011
Raining all day here. I knew I should've fertilized my yard this weekend. Hindsight...

Garden looks good, though. Still harvesting tons of peppers and my greens are coming right along.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:42 AM 10-10-2011
I'm getting raspberries and strawberries. The potatoes are regrowing from whatever was still in the ground tomatoes and squash are still going, beans are making a second effort. Still getting cukes too. Peppers never got going this year. We had excellent eggplant parmesan a couple of nights ago, now that it's October.
[Reply]
jjirons69 07:30 PM 10-17-2011
Too late in the day for a picture - I picked 12 large, beautiful bell peppers. Also crushed the jalapenos with over 100 picked - some big suckers, too. My basket ranneth over. I'm putting them up tomorrow night. Need some more lids for my pint jars. Still have 4 jars from last November that are quite tasty. I'm been sharing them on and off with co-workers and friend. Nothing says love like a jar of hot peppers!

Had to dust my collards. F'ing worm invasion on a few of them over the weekend when I was out of town. Doesn't take long before those buggers can get out of check. The greens are otherwise doing very well and are getting huge.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 06:44 AM 10-18-2011
We had a hot spell here that turned the tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers back on. With luck they will ripen before a cold snap hits them.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:44 AM 10-20-2011
Down they go!

[Reply]
Mr B 10:06 AM 10-20-2011
Cool pics
[Reply]
Page 16 of 17
« First < 6141516 17 >
Up