Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 155 of 220
« First < 55105145153154155 156157165205 > Last »
General Discussion>Photography Thread
OLS 02:12 PM 07-24-2013
Originally Posted by shark:
No, I had the camera set up on a railing for the train shot. 1/2.5 sec., f5.6, ISO 1000 +0.7EV
The one with the caboose looks like a stock photo by a pro. The one with the
locos could use the application of a curve in Photoshop, and then IT would also
be very close to a pro shot. Both very nice photos. Which lens did you use?

If I didn't have a band to shoot tonight, I would go back and try my flower shots
on a tripod. My laptop at home must be super sweet, it makes those pics look
great. I get to work and think "Oh Geez, what were you going on about?"
[Reply]
OLS 08:34 AM 07-25-2013
Well, what a night. I regret only one thing, that I didn't stay longer. I try to get to bed
by 9:00pm on weeknights where work is looming the next day, and the nights are so long
with DST, that this outdoor gig kind of messed me up. The best shots in terms of overall
atmosphere were right before I left and the sky was dark and the little light strings were
beginning to overtake the ambient light. SUCKS I did that, but a free gig, ehh, I am gonna
get my beauty sleep. If I had been paid for this, I would have stayed WELL into the good
light time. You will feel like you already know these girls, I shoot em so much.
But I like to shoot them because they know me and I am not likely to bother them much
if I stand right in front of them and block the audience for a minute. MIDTOWN VIOLETS.

This shot was not in focus, but I just LIKED the vibe....
(Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AI manual foc. lens 1/320sec f/4) Nikon D700

The Sharon Stone with a "shot to the eye" look...
(Nikkor 105 2.5 AIS manual foc. lens 1/60sec f/2.5) Nikon D700

These Girls can really play.....
(Nikkor 105 2.5 AIS manual foc. lens 1/60sec f/2.5) Nikon D700

Midtown Violets on a D90....
Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AF-D f/4 1/200sec

Ashlee K. Thomas..........
Nikkor 24mm 1/200sec f/4 Nikon D700

[Reply]
357 01:44 PM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by OLS:
This is one that is a REAL trip...obviously not taken by my dad, lol, scrounged of the net, but you talk about juxtaposition.
These are Texas ANG A-10s and their KC-97s. End of one era, start of another..

And here is the old man in Goose Bay Labrador....this was a place where the USAF was stationed to
make for the easiest, shortest, landfall in North America from Europe. I guess flying over water is no
fun, they want to get over land ASAP...

How they get around in Goose bay.....

My dad's Team....Nina, Pinta and Santa maria, lol....

Very cool pics Brad. BTW, you look a lot like your dad. :-)
[Reply]
OLS 02:19 PM 07-25-2013
haha, you should know, you've met me three times.....I look a lot like my mom, too,
but the DAD genes are definitely doing the heavy lifting. That's why I sweat like no
one you ever met...so did my dad. He's probably HOT in that picture, lol.
[Reply]
shark 02:25 PM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by OLS:
The one with the caboose looks like a stock photo by a pro. The one with the
locos could use the application of a curve in Photoshop, and then IT would also
be very close to a pro shot. Both very nice photos. Which lens did you use?

If I didn't have a band to shoot tonight, I would go back and try my flower shots
on a tripod. My laptop at home must be super sweet, it makes those pics look
great. I get to work and think "Oh Geez, what were you going on about?"
Thanks! But, which curve are you talking about? I'm still pretty much learning PS Elements. lol
[Reply]
OLS 02:52 PM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by shark:
Thanks! But, which curve are you talking about? I'm still pretty much learning PS Elements. lol
Not sure Elements features the editing function "Curves"
In Photoshop, it is IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS>CURVES, and then that gives you
a box with kind of a bendy 'wire' kind of tool, that you grab by various points
and it establishes little keyframes that you can move up or down to add
various degrees of color and balance effects to your open photo, then save it.
I will go home and post some screen grabs tonight to show you better.

What it does basically is take the photo and enhances or reduces various
attributes to make the photo more or less attractive. It takes a straight
line and allows you to make bezier curves in it....the straight line basically
represents your picture in it's current form. You use the curves to make
smooth changes to lightness, contrast, color, etc.
[Reply]
OLS 06:59 PM 07-25-2013
A little cross-threading......
But to make it official, Nikon D100, Nikkor 35-80mm f/4-5.6 AF-D (Thank goodness for the flash)

[Reply]
OLS 10:28 AM 07-26-2013
I know you all hate to hear this all the time, but I did it again....
I bought some more dregs from Ado. They threw up a metric TON of cameras today in the used sections.

There was one, a D200 that said "ISO and WB buttons do not work"....It was $150.
I can set those in the Menu, and don't REALLY change them a lot when I am shooting.
Just a GREAT OLD CAMERA that works with all the manual focus lenses, and I have a bunch.
In EX+ condition, it is basically 65% off for something I don't even care about.

I picked up a D90 for $200 that said "Flash will not stay down". Geez, half price for something
I can place a tiny strip of gaffer's tape on and have a camera THAT GOOD?
I almost never use a flash, and when I DO, I can just pull the tape tab. I much prefer
to use the ISO to help my shutter speed in low light, or fast lenses. Also in Excellent
condition, so that one is at least 50% off, and it's a killer camera.

And for $50, I got another D200 that said "front and rear command dials not working properly"......
Now that one is gonna be a problem, lol. But I tend to have great luck
with things I purchase there, so I figure it can be A.) a spare for parts, B.) a camera
that only shoots in one mode, whatever mode its IN, lol, or C.) It will work SOME of
the time and just give me a little trouble in the field, which I should be able to work
around. For $50, I can GUARANTEE that I will be able to use it to take pics. I am
guessing in rainy conditions, super-dusty and dirty conditions, or high crime areas.
They are VERY well sealed. And you can swing one and KILL a man, and if you don't
kill him and he takes your camera, ehh, it was $50. I know they are old, but they
WORK SO WELL and are SO DAMN versatile. And if all I get from it is a shutter mechanism,
I am fine with that. The large, bright viewfinder ALONE is worth having 4 D200s, haha.
I have old man eyes. But I will give at least one away to friends and family.

Basically now, though, I have to stop. I have stockpiled these cameras not because
I am a TOTAL idiot, but something more along the lines of genius. I KNOW that I do not
care if I EVER have a camera over 12 MP. Nikon has had Japanese law dictate that they
cannot use open contact batteries anymore, so after about the D300, all of their batteries
have been changed over. I can run D100, D50, D70, D90, D200 and D700 all off the same
batteries. I have all the cameras in that list, and a good stock of batteries for them, after
getting one with each camera buy, lol. So I have a fortress of bodies protecting me from
too much progress in the digital age. I KNOW there are people who can use and actually
WANT a 24MP or 36MP camera....but that ain't me.
[Reply]
hotreds 12:42 PM 07-26-2013
Coniwingo Dam, Md.

[Reply]
hotreds 08:48 PM 07-26-2013
[Reply]
MrClean 01:23 PM 07-28-2013
Spent last week in St Louis for work. Luckily we were about 2 miles from the arch. Found time to run down and take some pics. The sun was murder trying to get a decent shot.
St Louis Arch by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr

Downtown St Louis Sunset by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
[Reply]
OLS 01:38 PM 07-28-2013
Originally Posted by MrClean:
The sun was murder trying to get a decent shot.
Not just the sun, that structure is notoriously difficult to get a good shot of.
You would think it wouldn't have a bad angle, but when I was there, it seemed
they were ALL bad. That one you have with the whole arch in it looks great,
excellent atmospheric conditions, great sun, great color.
[Reply]
Mr.Weeee 11:26 PM 07-29-2013
[Reply]
OLS 12:57 PM 07-30-2013
I think when paradise is covered with algae, it stops being paradise, lol. Nice shot, sir.

I'd like to apologize to the group for running off Justin. :-) I think I was too hard on him
with my constant cat comments.
I feel bad, cause he was one of the only steady contributors on those days when nothing
else was poppin. He will be missed. The rumor I spread that he died might be a little hyperbolic.

On a related note, I am THROUGH ordering cameras. Until the D700 becomes a $450 item
I will not order ANYTHING else.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 01:10 AM 07-31-2013
Sup!?

Nah Brad I'm still here and now I didn't get offnded by anything :-)

On a side note, I sold the 6D and got my 60D back. It was more than i needed and I wanted other toys.

This is one of the things I bought with that money....(Taken with the 60D)

IMG_6415 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
[Reply]
Mr.Weeee 01:53 AM 07-31-2013
todays Sunset at Waimea Bay Beach
[Reply]
OLS 12:09 PM 07-31-2013
That's awesome Justin, you should be able to get bullets for it sometime starting in 2015. :-)
[Reply]
emopunker2004 12:53 PM 07-31-2013
Wtf u talking about brad? Ammo is back. Ak ammo is still like $6/20rds I just had a case of 1000 delivered today :-)
[Reply]
shark 04:35 PM 07-31-2013
[Reply]
OLS 06:57 AM 08-01-2013
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
Wtf u talking about brad? Ammo is back. Ak ammo is still like $6/20rds I just had a case of 1000 delivered today :-)
I don't have my finger on that pulse, you are right I guess. I ought to order at least 200 rounds myself.
That 5hi+ WILL happen again.
[Reply]
Page 155 of 220
« First < 55105145153154155 156157165205 > Last »
Up