Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 152 of 350
« First < 52102142150151152 153154162202252 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
icehog3 11:58 PM 11-20-2009
Back day...concentrated on reps.

225 on the Bent Over Rows for 6 sets of 18.

5 plates on the T-bar for 5 sets of 15.

Pull-ups to failure, then some cable work to finish off.
BigFrank 09:38 AM 11-21-2009
Looks like a nice pump workout there Tom. Been doing more barbell rows myself. Couple guys I train with think that is what is holding my bench back.

row = grow
DavenportESQ 10:46 AM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
Looks like a nice pump workout there Tom. Been doing more barbell rows myself. Couple guys I train with think that is what is holding my bench back.

row = grow
A lot of people don't realize that a huge roll in the Bench is Lats/Tri's

Thats why you see the really big benchers doing a lot of dips with added weight (think belt with plates)

I have in the past always done some sort of row on my bench days as well, but I think I am going to do more concentrated muscle group days

Chest day

Back Day

Shoulders

Legs
icehog3 01:27 PM 11-21-2009

row = grow
If your bench is "held back", Frank, I shudder to think of what it will be like when you unleash it! :-)
BigFrank 05:39 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
A lot of people don't realize that a huge roll in the Bench is Lats/Tri's

Thats why you see the really big benchers doing a lot of dips with added weight (think belt with plates)

I have in the past always done some sort of row on my bench days as well, but I think I am going to do more concentrated muscle group days
Chest day
Back Day
Shoulders
Legs
I couldn't agree more. I've recently taken a break from doing dips but they will return to the program shortly.
Right now it's
Squat - Pull - assistance ( mainly GHR, reverse hyper and abs )
Bench - bench variation ( band / chains etc ) tris abs ghr etc
Upper back grip and moderate bicep work , more abs ghr etc

Originally Posted by icehog3:
If your bench is "held back", Frank, I shudder to think of what it will be like when you unleash it! :-)
Ya it's kind of weird. I was training with one group of guys let's say mid range powerlifters to now training with elite level guys. And it was weird being told my form was awful and I was full of weaknesses. Was surprising to me to be honest. Hopefully with the problems now being address I can move even farther forward.
It's funny at the old gym benching 400+ was big dog status. Now my heaviest sets are working up sets for these other guys.
icehog3 05:58 PM 11-21-2009
Ya it's kind of weird. I was training with one group of guys let's say mid range powerlifters to now training with elite level guys. And it was weird being told my form was awful and I was full of weaknesses. Was surprising to me to be honest. Hopefully with the problems now being address I can move even farther forward.
It's funny at the old gym benching 400+ was big dog status. Now my heaviest sets are working up sets for these other guys.
Always enjoyed training with the serious powerlifters back in the day, Frank. Even the ones I could never keep up with provided both inspiration, encouragement and entertainment.
BigFrank 01:07 PM 11-22-2009
Always enjoyed training with the serious powerlifters back in the day, Frank. Even the ones I could never keep up with provided both inspiration, encouragement and entertainment.
I hear ya on the entertainment factor. One of the guys seriously takes naps between sets. Like a big land mammal.
icehog3 01:17 PM 11-22-2009
I hear ya on the entertainment factor. One of the guys seriously takes naps between sets. Like a big land mammal.
:-)

Had a 45 pound plate fall off the rack and hit me above the ankle. It stopped hurting after 5 minutes, but when I got home to hit the shower, my shin looks like a garden snake than ate a lemon whole! I have ice on it now, hope it is just a goofy bruise.

Can't have any leg problems tonight...double header on deck. Hoping we have enough reserves for anyone who can't go two....I know I will be playing both. :-)
DavenportESQ 01:58 PM 11-22-2009
Beast!

I decided to hit the Gym today, Did a nice Squat, Leg Curl, Good AM work out
Also supplemented some curls for the gurls,

Tomorrow is off, but will prob. hit tues/wens Thursday off Friday/saturday/sunday Monday off

That is unless I have anymore 4:30 Am nights, like last week
icehog3 03:32 PM 11-22-2009
My schedule is identical to yours, thank goodness my gym is open Thanksgiving. :-)

My "lemon" is smaller since icing it...now it looks like a couple walnuts. :-)
PeteSB75 06:25 AM 11-23-2009
Good luck in the games today. Don't skate that ankle into oblivion.

Higher rep chest day for me today. Flat bench 155x12,12,10, incline bench 135x10,8,8. Finished off with some 21s.

Took the weekend off, was supposed to do legs but felt lazy and sat around and baked cookies instead... Also don't want to go hard on my knee until after I meet with the physical therapist - going tomorrow after work.
BigFrank 03:00 PM 11-24-2009
Squatted and pulled last night.
squats 515x2,2,2( I think it was more like 530) Thicker bar and heavy duty metal collars. Plus I'm bad at Math and 100 pounds plates confuse me.
Deadlifts- 450x3,1 ( I think it was like 475 because of the above mentioned failure at math)

Worked on some form issues with pulling also. Luckily the form problems are VERY minor with pulling. But as minor as they are they are killing me for weight.
Without going into to much detail. I was doing two things wrong. #1 Getting a big belly full of air at the very top. I.E. Before even grabbing the bar you should take a few deep breaths into your belly while standing. Before I would get set then take a deep breath while hunched over gripping the bar. #2 One you go down grab the bar and ****ing pull...I was grabbing the bar waiting, sometimes straightening my legs out. Just pretty much dicking around before pulling. I was having a lot of trouble getting the bar to move off the floor at first. This problem is going away and the bar feels like it is flying off the floor now.
As silly as something like that sounds, it was taking a lot out of my deadlift. Little things like that can be the difference between 450-500lbs ( strong guy) to 600+( big time)
Abs
Reverse Hyper
GHR

Apparently I have like 6 billion things wrong with my squat form. At least last night I did. I was having some tightness in my hamstring before the workout and didnt get quite warmed up. Either way, I think I'm going to drop the weight some the next 4 weeks or so and work on that. Honestly, after talking to the guys last night, my technique and form are what is keeping me away from cracking some big weights. We shall wait and see I suppose.

Sorry for the long post fellas.
PeteSB75 06:52 AM 11-25-2009
Sounds like a great spot to work out, Frank. Milk that baby for all it's worth. :-)

Some higher rep back work this morning. HS high row, lat pulldown, bent-over row, and finished up with skull crusher/close grip press/bench dips.
icehog3 08:04 AM 11-25-2009
Hope the new techniques put you even further into the Big Time, Frank. :-)

Going to hit back this morning too, Pete. Then I go to work, and finally come home and smoke a Cuaba while watching the Hawks game. :-) Thanks Brother.
PeteSB75 08:17 AM 11-25-2009
Hope the new techniques put you even further into the Big Time, Frank. :-)

Going to hit back this morning too, Pete. Then I go to work, and finally come home and smoke a Cuaba while watching the Hawks game. :-) Thanks Brother.
Sounds good :-) :-):-)
DavenportESQ 08:42 AM 11-25-2009
I went and tried to bench yesterday, still wasn't feeling great. I have narrowed the soreness down to what I think is my bicep. The weird thing is I feel really strong, but at the top I start shaking, idk if its affecting my balance and thats whats going wrong. I DB inclined benched instead, did more back work and everything was okay, just going to have to take BP out of my workout for a few weeks I guess
icehog3 01:09 PM 11-25-2009
Sounds like a stability issue, perhaps an injury to the biceps tendon, Dave?
BigFrank 08:04 PM 11-25-2009
Sorry to hear Dave. Have you gone to the Dr.'s yet and get it checked?

Bench tonight.
365x3 415x1,1 ( Think I could have moved more weight, definitely left a lot in the tank on the Bench. Was working on some form issues again.) Just when you think your form is dialed in, it can always be improved. Grip / wrist position and foot/heel/lower body drive on the bench are lacking. Comes as a surprise. I thought I did well at this, apparently not.
Close Grip Floor Presses Monster Mini x4 95x3-125x3-145x3
Kaz Press
Weighted Dips
Pec Deck.
PeteSB75 08:46 AM 11-27-2009
I knew there was a reason I liked going to the gym at 5 AM. Don't have to ever wait for a bar. Oh well, should have gotten up earlier. I got to witness the pleasure of a couple of girls deadlifting, and doing a pretty good job of it, albeit with not much on the bar, only to have one's boyfriend come over and tell them they were doing it wrong and demonstrate a romanian deadlift for them to do... Is it that hard to grasp that it's a different lift?

Higher-volume shoulders today. Arnolds, smith machine upright rows and HS shoulder press. Finished up with some hanging leg raises, never saw a bar to do some presses.
BigFrank 11:45 AM 11-27-2009
Commercial gyms make me want to ****ing puke.
Page 152 of 350
« First < 52102142150151152 153154162202252 > Last »
Up