Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 15 of 36
« First < 5131415 161725 > Last »
Sports>St Louis Cardinals Fans Sound Off!
Starscream 07:56 PM 04-10-2012
Good game tonight. Great pitching on both sides.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 08:00 PM 04-10-2012
Originally Posted by Starscream:
Good game tonight. Great pitching on both sides.
It was Andy. The ump was much more consistent than last night. I just remembered that Cueto is on the mound tomorrow and I may have spoke to soon:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 08:07 PM 04-10-2012
I would like to get one win in this series. Leake was decent, but Cueto should be lights out.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 08:13 PM 04-10-2012
Pitching ... Pitching ... Pitching. Can't win them all but not worried about the bats if the rotation and bullpen continue at this level. Boggs has been impressive and consistent ... not used to both at the same time from him ... what's up with that?
[Reply]
688sonarmen 06:50 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by qwerty1500:
Pitching ... Pitching ... Pitching. Can't win them all but not worried about the bats if the rotation and bullpen continue at this level. Boggs has been impressive and consistent ... not used to both at the same time from him ... what's up with that?
I'll take it. I use the pitch FX on MLB TV and according to that he was right on the corners or end of the strike zone the entire time. What is up with the offense just taking strikes and not swinging? I was thinking they were waiting for a good pitch but they were struck out quite a few times looking. I hope this does not swing over to swinging at bad pitches to compensate.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 08:23 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
What is up with the offense just taking strikes and not swinging? I was thinking they were waiting for a good pitch but they were struck out quite a few times looking. I hope this does not swing over to swinging at bad pitches to compensate.
I've noticed an effort up and down the lineup to get as deep as possible in the pitch count with the starters. I've also seen more than average disagreement with where a few umps are calling strikes.

Discipline at the plate has really paid off for the Cards. That's easy when you're hot. I just hope they can resist the urge to press when those little slumps come along.
[Reply]
Starscream 09:03 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by qwerty1500:
I've noticed an effort up and down the lineup to get as deep as possible in the pitch count with the starters. I've also seen more than average disagreement with where a few umps are calling strikes.

Discipline at the plate has really paid off for the Cards. That's easy when you're hot. I just hope they can resist the urge to press when those little slumps come along.
Working the count has worked for the Cards this year. You can see the advantage over the Reds' offense the last few days b/c they can't seem to work the count. Hacking at the first two to three pitches doesn't seem to be getting results.
[Reply]
Starscream 12:02 PM 04-11-2012
Komatsu looks very promising. He has a veteran approach at the plate. Do you guys think he'll still be on the roster when Carp and Wainright come back?
[Reply]
688sonarmen 01:36 PM 04-11-2012
Komatsu looks very promising. He has a veteran approach at the plate. Do you guys think he'll still be on the roster when Carp and Wainright come back?
Not sure, he had some great at bats. Missed the 14 pitch one but saw him hit Chapman which was nice. Wainright is back, Carp is the one out.
[Reply]
Starscream 01:38 PM 04-11-2012
thanks for the win, Matheny. He pretty much gave that one away by giving Berkman and Freese the day off. A win given to Cincinnati on a silver platter and the Reds still struggled to pull one out.

Good series guys.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 01:53 PM 04-11-2012
thanks for the win, Matheny. He pretty much gave that one away by giving Berkman and Freese the day off. A win given to Cincinnati on a silver platter and the Reds still struggled to pull one out.

Good series guys.
Yeah.. Good game though from what I saw. Hope Berkman heals up before the opener in St. Louis:-)

I did notice no one knows what to make of Chapman, the ump looked like he was having a hard time keeping up with the strike zone with him. And the Cards just looked silly trying to hit him as well.
[Reply]
Starscream 01:57 PM 04-11-2012
Yeah.. Good game though from what I saw. Hope Berkman heals up before the opener in St. Louis:-)

I did notice no one knows what to make of Chapman, the ump looked like he was having a hard time keeping up with the strike zone with him. And the Cards just looked silly trying to hit him as well.
No offense here, but I think you might have been listening to the Cards broadcast team a bit heavily here. Carpenter got a called strike three that was outside of the zone, but other than that, the zone wasn't that much wider than it has been all day. The plate umpire had a wide strikezone today all around, not just with Chapman. The pitch that the Cards dugout was up in arms about really was right down the middle.
The Cards announcers made me sick when they said that the umpires were caught up in Chapmania and were giving him calls b/c they were fans of his. The Reds announcers are all homers too, but that was a bit overboard.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 03:07 PM 04-11-2012
Berkman was up in arms not the entire dugout. Why would you listen to the Cards broadcast? I missed that part of the game so I can't say one way or the other. Be happy you all got a win:-)

No offense here, but I think you might have been listening to the Cards broadcast team a bit heavily here. Carpenter got a called strike three that was outside of the zone, but other than that, the zone wasn't that much wider than it has been all day. The plate umpire had a wide strikezone today all around, not just with Chapman. The pitch that the Cards dugout was up in arms about really was right down the middle.
The Cards announcers made me sick when they said that the umpires were caught up in Chapmania and were giving him calls b/c they were fans of his. The Reds announcers are all homers too, but that was a bit overboard.

[Reply]
Starscream 04:55 PM 04-11-2012
Berkman was up in arms not the entire dugout. Why would you listen to the Cards broadcast? I missed that part of the game so I can't say one way or the other. Be happy you all got a win:-)
No Reds tv today, so I switched between the Cards tv broadcast and the Cincy radio broadcast. Plus, it's always good to hear what the other team's people have to say every now and again. If I listened solely to the Reds commentary, I'd be drinking the Kool-aid and have already bought my non-existent Reds WS tickets.:-)
[Reply]
688sonarmen 05:16 PM 04-11-2012
No Reds tv today, so I switched between the Cards tv broadcast and the Cincy radio broadcast. Plus, it's always good to hear what the other team's people have to say every now and again. If I listened solely to the Reds commentary, I'd be drinking the Kool-aid and have already bought my non-existent Reds WS tickets.:-)
That is a good idea as it's hard to find an honest voice if you are getting owned by a pitcher like today:-) I also see what you mean about all the Cards heavy hitters sitting the bench. Berkman was out but Mathney said he would have pulled him anyways. The Cards have to stay healthy just like any other team but they are not made of sugar and I'm not sure how it will sit with them if it continues.

Is there a time line on Phillips returning?
[Reply]
qwerty1500 08:58 PM 04-11-2012
Berkman has a sore calf and Freese was due a day off. Don't know the story on Beltran ... only heard of couple of outs on the radio. Nevertheless, Molina was the only starter without a hit ... says something about the bench.

From looking at the box score ... hate to sound like a broken record ... the game today looked like it was about pitching. Garcia was awful and Cueto's line didn't look like Cy Young either. Overall, with the good performance from the Reds bullpen, we're lucky the game wasn't a lot more lopsided. Even the ending might have been different if Matheny would have picked someone other than Salas ... that guy hasn't impressed me in a long time.
[Reply]
Starscream 11:14 PM 04-11-2012
That is a good idea as it's hard to find an honest voice if you are getting owned by a pitcher like today:-) I also see what you mean about all the Cards heavy hitters sitting the bench. Berkman was out but Mathney said he would have pulled him anyways. The Cards have to stay healthy just like any other team but they are not made of sugar and I'm not sure how it will sit with them if it continues.

Is there a time line on Phillips returning?
I haven't heard. He's not on the DL, so I imagine Thursday off (maybe Friday) and we'll see him back.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 03:51 PM 04-13-2012
Well, this is awkward.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 04:55 PM 04-13-2012
[Reply]
qwerty1500 06:28 AM 04-14-2012
As they used to say at NASA ... "Houston, we have a problem."
[Reply]
Page 15 of 36
« First < 5131415 161725 > Last »
Up