Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 15 of 17
« First < 5131415 1617 >
General Discussion>Let's see those '11 gardens!
bigpedunn 05:17 PM 08-17-2011
My garden got taken by the great flood of 2011 better luck next year!
[Reply]
SvilleKid 05:14 PM 08-20-2011
My Garden, starting two days ago! A small stand of okra remains on the right side of the pix. Otherwise, it's all history. I had, without a doubt, the highest yields I've ever had. Don't know why. Maybe because I got a two week jump on planting? Heck, at least half the seeds I planted were from 2 seasons ago, and I've kept them frozen between uses. Will have to replenish green beans and purple hull pea seeds next season. Had a nice 1 hour shower this afternoon, so I'll hook up the disc to the tractor, and turn it under tomorrow, getting it ready for 2012.
[Reply]
mmblz 05:36 PM 08-26-2011
Finally have some flowers. More than just this but here's my favorite shot:

echinacea by mmblz, on Flickr

Still improving the soil on the north side. This year's buckwheat crop was the best yet.
buckwheat by mmblz, on Flickr

Now tilled in, winter rye will be spread tomorrow, ahead of the storm.
[Reply]
Mr B 11:22 AM 08-29-2011
Cool pics mmblz.
[Reply]
shilala 12:25 PM 08-29-2011
The Coneflowers look great, Julian. I love them, but have always stuck them in a corner. I never thought to line a path with them. I love the color, too. They look great with your house and sidewalk.
You just did a great job, period. Thanks for the idea. :-)
[Reply]
mmblz 12:35 PM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
The Coneflowers look great, Julian. I love them, but have always stuck them in a corner. I never thought to line a path with them. I love the color, too. They look great with your house and sidewalk.
You just did a great job, period. Thanks for the idea. :-)
Thanks Scott.
I have to admit though, they are more in a corner than anything else... What you see there is a drip edge :-)
Don't have a good pic of the path here - it is blue stone with creeping thyme in between the stones.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 12:43 PM 08-29-2011
I'm dieing under an avalanche of greenbeans. We've been eating, freezing, canning and giving them away but they won't stop.
Corn is finally ripening. Mmmm.
Root crops are done but we leave them in for now.
Last night we had steamed shrimp & greenbeans with corn on the cob for dinner. Life is good.
[Reply]
GWN 06:13 PM 08-30-2011
My wife's the gardener, but I like to grow a few plants in patio pots each year.
Here's my first pick of the hot stuff:

We also planted a nectarine tree this year and, while small, it sure produced:

[Reply]
wayner123 07:33 AM 08-31-2011
I finally got the SFG completed. I did a combination of compost, perlite, pine mulch and potting mix. The bottom 6" is compost and the top 4" is a mixture of perlite, potting mix and pine mulch. I am really excited to see how well it does. The mix provided me with something that if a bird landed on it, it might sink in. Which is exactly the type of fluffy aeration I am looking for.

I'll try to get a pic up tonight.
[Reply]
Mr B 12:13 PM 08-31-2011
Slow season out here huh Lance. I have only picked a handfull of Tomatoes, jalapenos have done decent. Everything is just way behind. Cool days and foggy nights.

Nice pics Jeff
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 12:40 PM 08-31-2011
Yep, slow. Even the zukes. Next year I think we'll plant less heritage tomatoes and look for more cool growing varieties. We had a volunteer Roma come up late that passed the others up and looks great. Our onions and carrots are fantastic. Melons sucked. Japanese cukes did great, pickle cukes not. Corn was slow but ok. Potatoes used up all the nutrients and dropped but made a good amount of tates. Eggplant never did anything but grow and bloom, no fruit. Bell peppers still haven't ripened.
This year may not be good for the vineyards out here.
[Reply]
jjirons69 01:10 PM 08-31-2011
Let me guess what's for supper tonight, Lance???

Greenbeans??
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 01:23 PM 08-31-2011
Want some? :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:12 PM 08-31-2011
My garden sucked, this year!

I got a few peppers!

No tomatoes!

No Zucchini!

[Reply]
Mr B 05:06 PM 08-31-2011
Maybe try Hops next year Darrell :-)

:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 05:55 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by Mr B:

I know those grow in this area!!!:-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 06:00 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by Mr B:

And barley!
[Reply]
Ahbroody 06:42 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
My garden sucked, this year!

I got a few peppers!

No tomatoes!

No Zucchini!
we have insane zucchini here. We pulled two bushes they were running away. Broccoli is coming in nice, peppers are okay, cucumbers are also nuts. Tomatoes are okay. Green beans has been a learning experience. The ones that grew best kids didn't like
[Reply]
timj219 01:45 PM 09-08-2011
Here's my unintentional water garden. Wish I had harvested the last of the beets before this hit. You can see some of the tomato stakes and the remnants of corn on the left. Squash on the right. Everything else is underwater. If you're wondering, Buttercup squash does not float.Image
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 02:06 PM 09-08-2011
I wouldn't have to water for weeks.
Seriously, I hope your house is all right.
Won't the beets be good, still?
[Reply]
Page 15 of 17
« First < 5131415 1617 >
Up