Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 149 of 352
« First < 4999139147148149 150151159199249 > Last »
General Discussion>First Firearm Thread.
Blueface 10:02 AM 06-22-2012
Saw this in a magazine.
Anyone know who makes this and is it any good?
Certainly looks mean with those Hornady Critical Defense rounds tips sticking out like that.

spectrrr 12:16 PM 06-22-2012
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Saw this in a magazine.
Anyone know who makes this and is it any good?
Certainly looks mean with those Hornady Critical Defense rounds tips sticking out like that.

It's called the Rhino, made by Chiappa Firearms

They're expensive, and I've heard it takes a bit to get used to shooting them, but supposed to be really nice to shoot, the under slung barrel really tames muzzle flip. Flat cylinder is supposed to make it easier for concealed carry, but the damned thing still looks pretty big :-)
ChicagoWhiteSox 12:19 PM 06-22-2012
Originally Posted by bonjing:
LED all the way! Not sure if they make weapon lights anymore that are halogen.
LED's take the abuse and last longer than the bulbs, downside is if something goes wrong it's not a simple replace the bulb, you gotta send it back to the manufacturer.

Look around, I've had good luck with LA Police Gear, sometimes they go on sale. I think I've seen them on sale for around $80 (TLR-1)
Thanks for the tip on LA Police Gear, decent prices there.
Blueface 12:31 PM 06-22-2012
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
It's called the Rhino, made by Chiappa Firearms

They're expensive, and I've heard it takes a bit to get used to shooting them, but supposed to be really nice to shoot, the under slung barrel really tames muzzle flip. Flat cylinder is supposed to make it easier for concealed carry, but the damned thing still looks pretty big :-)
Thanks.

Wow. That is a .357 Magnum. Not a tame animal in any sense of the word.
Cigar Mike 05:39 PM 06-27-2012
LED all the way!
LED's take the abuse and last longer than the bulbs, downside is if something goes wrong it's not a simple replace the bulb, you gotta send it back to the manufacturer.
I agree, more or less. The one major drawback, however, with LEDs is that when your batteries get weak, either due to use or just age, LED lights will just 'quit.' They don't dim, they just STOP. So, for home or personal defense purposes, if it's a light that might sit waiting for the Bad Guys, you could find yourself in a situation where you'd rather have a _dim_ halogen/incandescent light with weak batteries, than a _dead_ LED light with weak batteries. If it's a weapon that's anticipating immediate and frequent action and the corresponding maintenance, then LEDs are probably the way to go.

Kinda depends on it's intended use. The best intentions to stay prepared might be totally trumped by by a bad or old set of batts.
:-)
shaggy 06:47 PM 06-27-2012
us canucks get to have a bit of fun too
spectrrr 08:14 PM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike:
I agree, more or less. The one major drawback, however, with LEDs is that when your batteries get weak, either due to use or just age, LED lights will just 'quit.' They don't dim, they just STOP. So, for home or personal defense purposes, if it's a light that might sit waiting for the Bad Guys, you could find yourself in a situation where you'd rather have a _dim_ halogen/incandescent light with weak batteries, than a _dead_ LED light with weak batteries. If it's a weapon that's anticipating immediate and frequent action and the corresponding maintenance, then LEDs are probably the way to go.

Kinda depends on it's intended use. The best intentions to stay prepared might be totally trumped by by a bad or old set of batts.
:-)
Agreed, with a caveat -- A QUALITY LED light is usually much more efficient at using the power it as, so usually the level at which an incandescent dims halfway will still see the LED chugging along at max brightness (at least for a few more minutes). LED brightness and run times have gotten very good in recent years, and it is much more resistant to shock (assuming the electronics were put together well, that's LED's weak point).

But typically this falls under responsible maintenance of your firearm (and all associated components).

You want to be sure your batteries are lithium, and then you setup a replacement schedule appropriate for your usage. Replacing the battery *before* it becomes a problem is key here. So if you think the battery will need replacing every year, then do it every 6 months.

These days the technology gap has gotten a lot better, with rechargeable LSD (low self discharge) batteries like the Sanyo Eneloop becoming a viable alternative to ever buying an alkaline again. Rechargeable batteries, whether lithium or NMh, are great in a duty light that sees use every day (like the FourSevens Quark in my pocket), but if it's a light that sits unused, non-rechargeables lithiums are the best way to go, with a strict replacement schedule, just like when you take out the gun and oil and clean it. Lithium batteries have a VERY low self discharge rate, so it's perfectly reasonable to stuff them in your light, come back in a year, and still be pretty close to full power. Make it an easy day to remember, like your birthday, and you know that "today I need to go change the batteries in the defense lights."

:-) :-) :-)
Bageland2000 09:44 PM 06-27-2012
Looking forward to getting my S&W M&P 9mm with night sights in a few weeks. Will post picks when I get my first gun.
Steve 02:40 PM 06-29-2012
TJarv 03:37 PM 06-30-2012
Got this as a gift today

LockOut 03:38 PM 06-30-2012
looking at a new nano. Anyone had oen yet. tired of carrying a 229 in the heat.
Blueface 04:31 PM 06-30-2012
Originally Posted by LockOut:
looking at a new nano. Anyone had oen yet. tired of carrying a 229 in the heat.
Saw them at the shop at the range today.
Son is interested in one.

All I can say is they had a brand new one and two used ones.
What shop has a relatively new gun in the market where greater supply is used v. new.
It certainly made mynson think.
Blueface 04:32 PM 06-30-2012
Originally Posted by TJarv:
Got this as a gift today

Sweet.
Is that vintage or new?
TJarv 04:40 PM 06-30-2012
It's the New Vaquero
theonlybear4CORT 05:03 PM 06-30-2012
Bad @$$ ruger!
Malazan 09:07 PM 06-30-2012
Originally Posted by TJarv:
Got this as a gift today

Nice, a Vaquero:-)

Are you into Cowboy Action or SASS
TJarv 09:14 PM 06-30-2012
Nope just got it for fun
Stevez 04:55 AM 07-01-2012
Guys, I have always wanted to buy a Colt Single Action Army and have been searching for some time for exactly what I wanted. Anyway, took the plunge this past Friday and ordered one directly from the Colt's Custom shop. Ordered a Colt SAA Peacemaker in nickel, 45 caliber with Ivory grips. Now the wait begins. 250 days estimated. I'll post some pictures when I get it. Steve
TJarv 09:03 AM 07-01-2012
Originally Posted by Stevez:
Guys, I have always wanted to buy a Colt Single Action Army and have been searching for some time for exactly what I wanted. Anyway, took the plunge this past Friday and ordered one directly from the Colt's Custom shop. Ordered a Colt SAA Peacemaker in nickel, 45 caliber with Ivory grips. Now the wait begins. 250 days estimated. I'll post some pictures when I get it. Steve
That's what I really wanted just couldn't squeeze that into the budget
0002S 07:44 PM 07-01-2012
M1895 Nagant

TT-33 Tokarev

M57 Yugo

CZ-50

CZ-52
Page 149 of 352
« First < 4999139147148149 150151159199249 > Last »
Up