Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 14 of 20
« First < 4121314 1516 > Last »
Sports>College Hoops Thread '10-'11
rebelknight 03:30 PM 02-19-2011
With Kansas, Pitt, and Texas all falling this week it kind of makes my earlier question irrelevant. Now Ohio State just needs to beat Purdue on the road tomorrow.
[Reply]
jcruse64 07:45 PM 02-19-2011
Boy, St John's just won't go away, will they? Some pretty impressive Top 25 wins for them, that had better not go unnoticed come Selection Sunday.

UK looked, and played, pretty determined today. I just wish they could sustain this type effort, especially on the road.

Looks like Peay got beat in its Buster game; hope Murray nails theirs. We stayed home for this one, but basic cable doesn't have enough ESPN's for us to catch it.

Notre Dame takes a loss to WVU; Texas gets bounced. Lots of shuffling in the top 15 this week.
[Reply]
jcruse64 02:03 PM 02-20-2011
Oops! OSU goes down.

Interesting week.
[Reply]
rebelknight 05:51 PM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
Oops! OSU goes down.

Interesting week.
Wow. Tomorrow should be interesting when those rankings come out. Too bad OSU couldn't pull it together today.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:57 PM 02-21-2011
Interesting week? Quite a bit more than that, IMHO. This is the first time all four top-ranked teams (well, FIVE, if you count the Buckeyes twice :-) ) lost in the same week since November 2003. What makes that even more significant is the fact that, in November, we really have very little idea of which teams are actually good, whereas by February we have a pretty solid idea.

Update soon.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:22 PM 02-21-2011
Boy, St John's just won't go away, will they? Some pretty impressive Top 25 wins for them, that had better not go unnoticed come Selection Sunday.

UK looked, and played, pretty determined today. I just wish they could sustain this type effort, especially on the road.

Looks like Peay got beat in its Buster game; hope Murray nails theirs. We stayed home for this one, but basic cable doesn't have enough ESPN's for us to catch it.

Notre Dame takes a loss to WVU; Texas gets bounced. Lots of shuffling in the top 15 this week.

Don't worry. St. John's is in. I'd bet a handful of my crappy cigars on that.

Nobody ever said the UK 'Cats couldn't play, when they feel like it anyway. They proved this, spanking the 'Cocks 90-59 at home. As for their road woes . . . well, if they cut Cal's pay in half, they could afford to put Rupp Arena on wheels and take it with them everywhere. :-)

Yeah, AP goes down in their BB game to Fairfield 76-69, but there's no shame in losing to the Stags, especially on the road. They've had a solid team all season. And your Racers just crushed Evansville 72-47, due mainly to outscoring them 2-to-1 (actually 42-21) in the 2nd half.

And if you think YOU'RE confused by what happened the past week, consider the voters! Earlier, when this "# 1 Rank" discussion began, I stated that 5 teams might be in the mix. Turns out, it was six of them. First-place votes in the AP Poll went to Duke (35), OSU (10), KU (5), Pitt (12), UT (1), and . . . hold the phone! . . . BYU (2). So don't feel rained on. The good news is, unlike the BCS Football rankings, all this garbage don't mean $#!+.

Even with a number of games already mentioned, there were far too many for me to cover today. So I've picked those which best interested me. Saturday:

San Diego State 70 - Air Force 58 = By itself, the game means squat. But the Aztecs keep rolling, making their head-to-head with BYU this weekend HUGE.

Alabama 69 - Arkansas 56 = Pretty much the same lack of importance in itself here too, at least for the Tide. It might cost the Hogs down the road, but that's their problem to solve, if they can. 'Bama has the SEC West all sewn up, yet are still likely the 4th or 5th best team in the conference. Just my :-).

Arizona 87 - Washington 86 = A great win for the desert 'Cats, and gives them a second leg up in the Pac-10 race. As for the Huskies, they once again disappoint their fans by failing to achieve their expectations. Though maybe not as badly as . . .

Texas Tech 78 - Baylor 69 = Is this a joke? Can you remember when the Bears were nationally ranked, as high as (at least, as I recall) # 11 in the country? What the hell? Sheesh. This is almost as bad as . . .

Brown 75 - Princeton 65 = OK, so maybe the Tigers were tired after back-to-backers. Still, there's no damn excuse for spitting up the Ivy lead like this, to a team like Brown anyway.

Michigan 75 - Iowa 72 (OT) = The young Logans did it again, and continue to do their part to make the mid-pack of the Big Ten one giant clusterfark. At this point we know which teams want to try to win it, and which ones don't have a shot in hell, but all the rest are in one messy lump. Case in point:

Michigan State 61 - Illinois 57 = And what does all this mean? Well, the Big Ten will get its fair share of at-large bids, and maybe even one or two more than that. But it won't get enough to make everybody there happy, and somebody will be left out in the cold. So somebody, anybody, in this mosh pit better step up and make some statement, soon.

Kansas State 77 - Oklahoma 62 = To a lesser degree, the same might be said of the Big 12. I think that, despite their mid-season woes, the prairie 'Cats are pretty safe for an at-large. And though this win was not NEARLY as good as their previous one, it's still a decent one for a team that's not had as many as they maybe should.

North Carolina 48 - Boston College 46 = Ugly, ugly, ugly win. And don't tell me BC did what it wanted to by slowing the game down. The Heels should have taken them out of that gameplan when the built a double-digit lead, had they but kept the pressure on, since you can't slow the game when you keep falling further and further behind. I guess Roy said it as well as anyone: "Not a lot to say. We won. That's the bottom line." True. Pitiful, but true.

George Mason 67 - Northern Iowa 66 = Seem like I said this would be a good 'un.

Rice 67 - Memphis 52 = And I can't recall mentioning this game at all, as there was no way in hell that Rice could win it. And why would they? Rice has never . . . NEVER!! . . . beaten Memphis before. Well, I do recall remarking earlier that the CUSA was a mess.

Utah State 75 - St. Mary's 65 = Yeah, I know. I picked the Gaels to beat the Aggies. So, sue me. I still don't think Utah State has faced any tough games, and I did feel that St. Mary's would not stumble again. Hey, I've been wrong before, and the only way I won't be wrong again is if I just STFU.

Georgetown 61 - South Florida 55 = Here's more proof I'm an idiot. I figured the Hoyas would beat the Bulls like a drum. I still think they should have. :-) Yet that was not the only Big East shock, aside from the Pitt and ND losses already noted:

Syracuse 84 - Rutgers 80 (OT) = Are you joking? Extra innings, in the Dome, against the Scarlet freakin' Knights? Good golly Miss Molly. Forget the Knicks or Nets getting Carmelo Anthony, it's the Orange needs him back!

Then, on Sunday, we all saw:

Purdue 76 - Ohio State 63 = Or maybe I should just post "E'Twaun Moore beats the Buckeyes". You don't often see a show like that one he put on by getting his career-high 38 (exactly 1/2 of all 'Maker points made) on such a huge stage. Yeah, so it wasn't the NCAA Championship game, but still. Give the Buckeyes credit for not quitting, and cutting a 10-point lead to 4 with plenty of time to go. Give Moore more, for saving that potential backcourt violation, then hitting the 3 to take the air out of OSU's balloon. The game was sloppy at times, but all in all a lot of fun . . . if you're not a Buckeye, anyway.

Duke 79 - Georgia Tech 57 = No surprise, no shock, and not much of a game at Cameron. Dook spanks a team it was expected to spank, and backs into a # 1 ranking due to the fact that they managed to keep from falling on their faces. :-)

Clemson 63 - Miami 59 = Not all that long ago the "experts" were all up in Clemson's business, saying how they were moving up. Well, they won, on the road, against a garbage 'Cane squad, by 4 whole points. So, there's that.

California 76 - UCLA 72 (OT) = And that's more than the Bruins can say. They too were just starting to get a little attention, and were still in the hunt with Arizona for the Pac-10. I guess mathematically they still are, but this bad loss to a team they should have beaten, coupled with 'Zona's good win against the OTHER league competition, does not help one damn bit.

ODU 74 - Cleveland State 63 = Another one of those good Bracket Buster matchups, and a nice win for the Monarchs. It won't help them steal the CAC from Geo. Mason, but it might just have sealed an at-large for them.

Today already we've had one upset, with the UCF Knights beating CUSA-leading UTEP 74 - 68. I don't know how the Miners let this happen, in El Paso no less, but as the Orlando Mickeys haven't had much to cheer about lately, we'll give it to them

In limited action, we also will have:

Syracuse vs. Villanova = At this point there are only 8 Big East teams with either 5 or 6 conference losses, so the picture there is clear . . . compared to tar. Hey, it has gotten to the point that nobody can predict these games, and the home team rarely seems to have much advantage, so I'm hesitant to even say the game's in Philly. I believe that one of these two teams will win the game, and the other shall lose it. Take that to the bank.

Kansas vs. Oklahoma State = In contrast, playing a game in Phog Allen Fieldhouse is almost always an advantage for the Jayhawks, even though they may not need much of one against the so-so Coyboys. But KU will be missing their starting PG Tyshawn Taylor, who's been suspended from the team for violating team rules. So, if their freshman "phenom" Josh Selby doesn't show up pretty big, they might struggle a bit. Stay tuned.

Kent State vs. W. Michigan = And none of you guys may care, but this is a pretty big game in the Mid-American. Both teams are at or near the top of their divisions in the MAC, and neither one will get a sniff at an at-large here in a few weeks.

That's all for me today. See you here tomorrow. Enjoy. Oh, and Screw Drew.
[Reply]
SD Beerman 10:07 PM 02-21-2011
Go #4 Aztecs!!!!!!!

Thanks again for your hard work.....
[Reply]
The Poet 02:26 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by SD Beerman:
Go #4 Aztecs!!!!!!!

Thanks again for your hard work.....
So far so good for Steve Fisher's boys. It's been a great season for them already, with maybe more to come.

Now, all he's got to do is stay outta trouble, and KEEP those wins! :-) :-)

As for my "hard work", I truly do enjoy it, most of the time. And it beats REAL work, six ways to Sunday.

Update soon.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:22 PM 02-22-2011
Last night's limited action gave us:

Kansas 92 - Oklahoma State 65 = No big surprise here, as the Jayhawks are usually tough at home. The only "important" thing was the way they dominated with Taylor off the team.

Syracuse 69 - Villanova 64 = This last month or so in the Big East has rivaled the confusion in the SEC, with nobody stepping up . . . or backing down either. Home court, on the road, ranking . . . nothing seems to matter much. Were the Big Mouth Conference Tourney not already sold out, I'd advise all of you to get a ticket. A good win for the Orange, to put them 1/2-game over 'Nova for 6th in the league.

Kent State 74 - W. Michigan 72 = These two seem to be the class of the MAC, for what that means. Hey, no offense, but this mid-major appears to be loaded with "who cares?" teams. Yet give Kent credit for a tough victory in Kalamazoo.

Wisc. Green Bay 81 - Valparaiso 80 (OT) = And what a tight tough contest in Titletown for 3rd place in the Horizon. Man, watching a game like this is so much more fun than watching, say, the Jayhawks romp over the Cowboys.

Tonight's schedule is also fairly light, but there are a number of meaningful games:

Wake Forest vs. Virginia Tech = The Hokies are on the "safe" side of the bubble at this moment, but with their season ending against Duke, BC, and Clemson they may not stay there. This one will not help them much, but if they somehow manage to lose in Winston-Salem it might put them on the backslide of that slope. As for Wake, they'll need to buy tickets to get into ANY tourney, which means they have nothing to lose except some more pride. This could be pretty close for much of the game. Me, I'll pull for the Deacons, but I'd bet on VT.

Mississippi vs. South Carolina = For a while it looked like the Gamecocks might make a little noise, but their 5 losses in a row has turned that sound into a flaccid fart. If that "streak" extends tonight, they will drop to .500 overall, and secure their stranglehold on the cellar of the SEC East. Still, the East's basement might be better than the mid-pack West division . . . which is where the Rebels reside. As much as I don't like it (hell, I'm an old-school ACC guy, and still hate the 'Cocks from the Frank McGuire/Bobby Cremins/John Roche days), I'm gonna pull for Lisa Simpson's future alma mater. :-)

Xavier vs. LaSalle = And as much as I'd like for this to be a game, I just can't see LaSalle hanging with the X-Men for long . . . not this year, anyway.

Ohio State vs. Illinois = It's been a rough stretch for the Buckeyes, relatively speaking anyway. But that's been a short stretch, whereas the Illini have had a longer, more consistent bad one. I'd imagine that OSU bounces back, big.

Texas vs. Iowa State = And now that the potential pressure of a # 1 is off Rich Barnes's shoulders, I think the Longhorns will romp also.

Northern Iowa vs. Indiana State = These two good teams are tied for 3rd in the Missouri Valley. Their only chance of a bid is if they can win the tournament and get the automatic, but they still both want to win this one tonight. I'd expect a real war.

Vanderbilt vs. Tennessee = It is highly unlikely that the Comms can catch the Gators for the SEC East, but I think they will be happy if they can stay above Kentucky for 2nd place. The Vols have played as if they wish to co-operate with those desires of late, losing 4 of their last 5. You have to give Vandy the edge down in Nashville tonight, though I would not make that a huge one.

Louisville vs. Rutgers = And though I have to pick the Cardinals here, this one is harder to predict. Louisville has played well enough at times to blow the Scarlet Knights right out of Piscataway, and have also jerked around and either won or lost squeakers at the horn. So take Pitino's boys straight up, yet don't give any points.

Michigan State vs. Minnesota = And this one is the hardest of them all to predict. The Spartans have disappointed their fans, and the expectations of the experts, all season long, and they are still in danger of missing an at-large bid. But lately Kalin Lucas has been playing much better, so maybe they have turned a corner. Better late than never, I reckon. As for the Gophers, they came out this season like gangbusters, but have dropped 5 of their last 6 games, and put themselves squarely on that dreaded bubble. So both teams need this win, yet we have no idea which team will show up for either school! Plus, you can't slip a hair between Tom Izzo and Tubby Smith when it comes to coaching! Flip that coin again, and don't be surprised if it lands on its edge.

That's it for today, brothers. Enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:45 PM 02-22-2011
Looks like THE is bouncing back nicely against Illinois, up 17 with seconds left.

Looking forward to the Vols/Vandy game next. Have to go with Vandy here.

I would figure on Texas bouncing back also, but it IS Texas.

I figure U of L will also win, but with Rutgers, who knows?????

I'll second the kudos on your game review efforts!!! :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 02:43 PM 02-23-2011
Looks like THE is bouncing back nicely against Illinois, up 17 with seconds left.

Looking forward to the Vols/Vandy game next. Have to go with Vandy here.

I would figure on Texas bouncing back also, but it IS Texas.

I figure U of L will also win, but with Rutgers, who knows?????

I'll second the kudos on your game review efforts!!! :-)

Indeed, THE Ohio State University did manage to stick the Illini further back on that bubble, as one might expect. And as for the "THE" issue, one might expect such pretence from residents of Frisco, who insist that it is "SAN FRANCISCO, DAMMIT!!", but not from the modest Midwest Cornbelt. :-)

I went with Vandy too. Shows what WE know!

And I know the 'Horns are the 'Horns, but I figured they'd have no trouble with Iowa State.

Who knows about Rutgers? I do . . . they suck. :-)

And thank you for your kudos, but I don't do it for a slap on the back. Just send cash. :-)

Update shortly.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:20 PM 02-23-2011
To get to last night's action quickly, as tonight's schedule is pretty packed:

Ohio State 89 - Illinois 70 = As I hinted at above, this is less important a win for the Buckeyes as it is a loss for Illinois. They are in danger of making the NIT.

Tennessee 60 - Vanderbilt 51 = The good new for the Vols, they won a big game on the road, and maybe moved themselves off that danged bubble. The bad news is that the NCAA has announced 12 violations were found against their basketball and football programs, and the $#!+ that may just hit the fans there will likely be a bit more than UT and the SEC imposed on Bruce Pearl already, what with his paycut and his suspension for 8 games.

Texas 76 - Iowa State 53 = No surprise to me here. This was not a big important game, so of course Rick Barnes got the win. :-)

Louisville 55 - Rutgers 37 = Well, it wasn't all that pretty, but the Cardinals didn't have to beat any buzzers to win it. As for the Scarlet Knights, they at least had balanced scoring . . . 19 in the first half, and 18 in the second. Sheesh.

Michigan State 53 - Minnesota 48 = Another ugly game, whose meaning is yet to be decided. Does it put the Spartans back on the bubble, and knock the Gophers off it? Are both still out, are both still in? There are still games to play, and so far it's still a tossup.

South Carolina 79 - Mississippi 73 = I had a feeling the 'Cocks would get up for this one. Consider this: With their record improving to 14-12, the Gamecocks likely have as good a chance of a NIT invite than do the Rebels with their 17-11 one. That's just how bad the SEC West truly is.

Virginia Tech 76 - Wake Forest 62 = The win itself, as with some others above, is more significant for what it means than what it was. The Hokies are assured now of finishing no worse than .500 in the ACC, which should assure them of an at-large. And if they can win one more of their final 3 games - Duke, BC, or Clemson - they will be guaranteed one. But that won't be easy. As for Wake . . . well, it's time for one, a wake that is.

Indiana State 76 - Northern Iowa 74 = I called for a war here, and we got one. All in all, probably the best game all night.

Tonight is pretty busy, so lemme get busy also:

Wisconsin vs. Michigan = The Badgers are riding pretty high, and have to be favored by 4 possessions here, even in Ann Arbor. I'd make it even more than 4, were it not for Wisconsin's "deliberate" style limiting touches. Still, the Wolverines have shown ability, and might give us a good game here. If they want to keep their NCAA hopes alive, they maybe better should pull of the upset to get back to .500 in the Big Ten.

Miami vs. Boston College = At 6-6 in league play, and in 7th place in the ACC, the Eagles are on the backside of any bubble here. The good news for them, they have an easy row to hoe down the stretch. After the 'Canes tonight, they finish up with the two Virginia teams and Wake Forest, so they could win all 4 games. If they want to be Dancing in March, it would be advisable to begin winning tonight.

Virginia vs. Georgia Tech = The Cavs are fairly close to securing an invite to the NIT, while the Jackets will be lucky if they get into one of those "No-Names" which have cropped up in recent years. The Wreck can be tough down in Atlanta, but I'm gonna go with UVA here, since I think they have more to play for.

Duke vs. Temple = This one has the potential to be a really good game down in Cameron. Both teams can shoot a little, and the Owls might even be a bit more athletic than the Blue Devils. Will Dook become the next # 1 to fall on its face? I don't think so, but there is a fair shot at it. Stay tuned.

Notre Dame vs. Providence = And if the Friars team that shows up every 3rd or 4th game shows up in Providence tonight, they could give the Irish game also. As I've stopped believing that they actually CAN show up with any regularity, I wouldn't bet on it however.

Tulsa vs. Marshall = Just how many at-large bids do you think the CUSA deserves? If you think they should get maybe 4 total, then this game is HUGE. These two are tied for 4th in the CUSA race, and their 8-4 records are 'way behind the 3 teams tied at 9-4 above them. :-) Hey, come to think of it, THIS might be the best game tonight.

St. John's vs. DePaul = The Johnnies need to prove that they are for real by running the Blue Demons off Carnesecca's court and right out into the streets of Jamaica, and right outta Queens. Me, I figure they are still hungry enough to do so, as this is the first taste they've had in a long while. But if they get lazy and rest on the laurels they've yet to earn, they could find themselves fighting for a comeback. For this reason alone, it's worth watching the scoreboard.

Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma = Thesa Aggies are a team I've yet to figure out. They don't impress, but they don't depress either, and they've been lurking at about the same point all season. I would not expect the Sooners to finish on top here, but they should at least keep the Aggies sharp.

Alabama vs. Auburn = Here might be the oddest situation in college hoops this year. The Crimson Tide have the SEC West sewn up in their pocket, and might STILL be on the bubble for an at-large bid to the NCAAs! Hey, I kid you not! Their 18-8 record impresses nobody, and their RPI of 78th, with a 129th SoS rating, would indicate the experts are correct to diss them. Beating Auburn tonight won't help them one damn bit, were they to win by 300 points. Barring a run in the conference tourney, they might need to run the table against Ole Miss, Florida, and Georgia after tonight to get a bid. Think on that a while.

BYU vs. Colorado State = Hey, this could be a pretty good game also, if that Fredette kid does not go absolutely nutz again. The Rams have some good wins this year, and only lost by 2 to the SDSU Aztecs a short while back, so they can hoop a bit. So keep an eye on this one too.

Kentucky vs. Arkansas = On paper, you'd have to go with the Wildcats here, but as we've noted before, they play on hardwood and not paper. Tonight that wood's down in Fayetteville, and we all know how UK has had problems on the road. I'd still give them the edge, but I'd not be shocked if it went down to the last few minutes.

Wichita State vs. Creighton = Two good Missouri Valley teams, in a league that may get just one single ticket. The Shockers think they deserve one (and I won't argue with them), but the Bluejays want their shot at it too. And if you know Bluejays, you know they have a nasty attitude. This should be a lot of fun.

Purdue vs. Indiana = And this one should be over by the half. OK, so it's in Bloomington. So what? The Hoosiers are still a year or three away from being relevant again, and they won't get any closer tonight.

North Carolina vs. N. C. State = The Tar Heels have not played well in their last few games, despite getting wins against Clemson, Wake, and BC. This trip to Raleigh against the Wolfpack is their last shot to correct their game, since they then must end against Maryland, @ FSU, and Dook. That's not to say NCSU can't steal one at home, especially if the Heels fool around like they've done the past two weeks. Here's the thing in a nutshell: The Tar Heels can beat anybody in the nation, when they play. When they don't, they can lose, ugly and often.

Florida State vs. Maryland = The Seminoles have earned at least an at-large, and even have the capability of getting the automatic in the ACC Tourney. All they have to lose tonight is contact with the Heels for 2nd place in the regular season race. The Terps, on the other hand, are teetering on the bubble, and could slide either direction. A win in College Park tonight would not only help my Heels, but would edge the Turtles in the right direction. Much as I hate it, I will pull for Gary Williams this evening.

Georgetown vs. Cincinnati = The Hoyas are another team who can beat anyone, or can fall on their faces against most anyone. The Bearcats are a good bit better than "anyone" status, and could sneak up on G'town down in DC. I don't think they will, but they most certainly could. So this is just one more to keep track of.

Missouri vs. Baylor = And here's another one. The Bears are in dire need of a quality win to get them off the bubble, and one on the road against the Tigers might do so. If they plan to refocus any time this season, tonight would be a great time to start. Me, I'll go with Missou by 2 possessions, but the other way would not shock me, at all.

Kansas State vs. Nebraska = Both of these teams logged recent HUGE victories, so I'd have them on the safe side of any bubbles, especially considering they have some other decent wins also. Now, it's all about seeding. If either has hopes of getting off of a 6-to-9 line, they need to make some more noise down the stretch. Tonight's a perfect time for one or the other to begin.

UNLV vs. New Mexico = Me, I'm not one of those people who are yet willing to put the Mountain West up there with the other Big Boys. Hey, until some team there proves it to me, I'll remain a Doubting Thomas. And don't tell me to count Jerry Tarkanian's group of ringers either, 'cause Homey don't play that way. Still, here's two good team, both of whom still have some aspirations for a bid. It should be some fun out in Albuquerque, with one of them making a right turn.

That's all for now. Enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:15 PM 02-24-2011
OK, so you wonder what happened of note last night? Well:

Alabama 51 - Auburn 49 = And you also wonder why I seemed to diss the Tide yesterday? Here you go. The Auburn Tigers purely suck, and are still short of double-digit wins this year. Yet here they were, on 'Bama's home court, and it took a tip-in with 0.3 left to avoid OT. Yeah, maybe they creeped over to the "safe" side of the bubble, but it's a bad win nonetheless.

Arsansas 77 - Kentucky 76 (OT) = Boy, was I wrong here. I said this might go down to the last few minutes, with the 'Cats having a slim edge. Instead, it went to an extra 5, with the 'Hogs having the slimmest edge. UK's road woes continue.

Miami 73 - Boston College 64 = And BC's home woes continue too, with nearly 1/2 their losses coming there. This bad one to the 'Canes may have pushed the Eagles off that NCAA bubble for good.

BYU 84 - Colorado State 76 = I told you this could be a pretty good game. Although I'm not yet ready to give the Cougars any REAL respect, I do give them props for a good win.

Duke 78 - Temple 61 = No surprise here, though I had hoped for a slightly better showing from the Owls. Hey, Jay, it ain't easy down in Cameron, is it?

Rhode Island 77 - Duquesne 76 = It wasn't all that long ago that the Dukes were in control of the A-10, but now they've lost 4 of 5 and won't get a sniff of the regular season. Neither will the Rams, but it's a good win for them regardless, especially on the road.

East Carolina 83 - UTEP 76 = You can say the same dang thing about the Miners in the CUSA race too. They've now lost 3 of 4, and this one to a .500 Pirates squad is painful. Of course, the fact that UTEP was whistled for 27 team fouls and 5 technicals, with both Tim Floyd and his assistant Phil Johnson being ejected a minute into the 2nd half (and Floyd being "escorted" off by police) didn't help their chances either. Hey, talk about your home-court advantage!

Cincinnati 58 - Georgetown 46 = Maybe we should stop being shocked when a Big East team spits the bit like this. But hell, if you can't even score 50 points on your own danged court, you don't deserve to win.

Maryland 78 - Florida State 62 = A big win for the Terps, which may have put them on the safe side of that dreaded bubble . . . even if they lose to my Heels Sunday. They now have 18 Ws, and 7 in the conference, and will end against Miami and UVA, both "winnable" ones. Plus, thanks for putting the Semiholes 2 back of UNC for 2nd place. :-)

Wisconsin 53 - Michigan 52 = And I'm not exactly sure what to make of this one. Yeah, I know a low-scoring game can be expected from the Badgers. Yeah, I know the Logans have played better in the 2nd half of this season. Yeah, I know it was in Ann Arbor. But still, UW not only beat OSU recently, but stomped UM by 16 earlier. I guess a win's a win, but beyond that :-)

Kansas State 61 - Nebraska 57 = It is possible that this Battle of the Giant-Killers took K-State safely off the bubble, and put the 'Huskers safely off also, albeit on the wrong side. We'll see in a few weeks.

North Carolina 75 - N. C. State 63 = The Heels had a decent 2nd half in Raleigh to turn a 2-point halftime lead into a "respectable" victory. But I do wish that Barnes kid would actually show up in the 1st half sometimes, so's I could save a few fingernails.

UNLV 77 - New Mexico 74 (OT) = Hey, I told you this one could be some fun, didn't I? A good win for the Casino Runs, and maybe they will get that at-large.

Notre Dame 94 - Providence 93 = And I also told you that, if the Friars could manage to show up at all, they may give the Irish game. They did just that. I kinda wish I'd seen this one, however, since I'm curious about that high score. Was it great offense on both sides, or merely no D whatsoever?

Wichita State 67 - Creighton 65 = Once more, I lucked up and called for a fun matchup here. Me, I'm not one of those guys who think the mid-majors don't get nearly enough respect at the expense of the Big Boys. However, if a 10th or 11th Big Mouth team, or a 6th or 7th SEC one, gets an at-large, and the Shockers don't, I will not be pleased.

Tonight's action includes:

Florida vs. Georgia = The Gators don't need this game for the SEC East, nor for a bid. The Bulldogs may need another W to get safely off the bubble, and this would be a huge one for them down in Gainsville. I'm not sure they can do it, but it would not be a total surprise if they could manage to steal one on the road.

U. Conn vs. Marquette = And the Huskies are safe also, but at 7-7 in league play the Golden Eagles might just need 1 or 2 more. It won't be easy in Hartford, but it would not be the 1st time this year U. Conn's lost at home. Again, I don't expect it, but Marquette has a chance.

Cleveland State vs. Wisc. Milwaukee = At 12-4 and 11-5 in the Horizon respt., this one is vital for both teams, even though no bid is on the line. The NCAA would need another expansion before they'd start handing out at-larges to these guys. Regardless, it should be a great game.

ODU vs. James Madison = Now the Colonial might get an extra bid or two, and both of these could be in the mix. Ehhh, probably not JM, who'd likely need to take the automatic in the tourney, but ODU can help their shot with a win tonight. I expect a good one here.

Oral Roberts vs. IUPUI = And these two are tied for 2nd in the Summit . . . meaning that this game won't win an at-large bid the conference won't receive. Still, odds are it will be fun.

Murray State vs. Morehead State = Yes, Joe, you know I wouldn't overlook this one. Your Racers and the Eagles are tied atop the OVC at 12-4, with Austin Peay on your heels at 11-5. Again, there's no at-large in the cards for the Ohio Valley, so a win or a loss won't help nor hurt in that regard. However, everybody likes to win their conference regular season, and this could very well decide it. Both teams will have one "winnable" game left on the schedule after tonight, before they go to war in the tourney for the automatic. If this is not a fight, I will be shocked.

Penn State vs. Northwestern = I'm not exactly sure how deep the NCAA will reach in the Big Ten, but there's a shot that they'll award an at-large to the Nittany Lions. Yeah, they are only 14-12 overall, but a win tonight would put them at .500 in conference play, and they do have several "quality" wins over teams that are in the hunt for bids, such as Fairfield, Duquesne, MIchigan State, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. So, this could be big for them.

Pitt vs. West Virginia = And the Mountaineers better not depend on the Committee going 10 or 11 deep in the Big East (although knowing them, they just might :-)), and think they are safely off the bubble. A win tonight would assure them of one, whereas a loss will mean they need to take U. Conn or Louisville down the pike. Yeah, I know they face Rutgers next, but that win won't mean jack to the voters. I'm not sure Pitt will spit the bit again on their home court, but stranger things have happened.

Arizona vs. USC = The Wildcats have not clinched the Pac-10 yet, but can pretty much chill it, if not totally ice it, with a win in LA tonight. The Trojans are not in the running, but they are not completely helpless either. If the past is any indication, the loyal 'Zona fans already believe they have this game won. It would not surprise me one bit if Southern Cal gives them all they can handle, and at least put a healthy scare in them. Me, I'd pick the 'Cats too, but not by much.

UCLA vs. Arizona State = And as much respect as I have for Herb Sendek, I can't see his Sun Devils having much of a shot across town in Pauley this evening. So, if the Bruin's city rivals can give them a little help tonight, they can get within a game of 'Zona . . . which would make their head-to-head Saturday HUGE!!!

That's all I gots for you at the moment. Enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:47 PM 02-24-2011
Auburn may suck, but Tide vs Tigers has taken on tree-mendous significance of late :-).

UK.....Sheesh!!!!!

MSU vs MSU, we were going to go, but it's an 8PM start, and 45 minute drive home after, and I gotta get up too early. Glad we didn't go; it's raining buckets around here, and they actually stopped the girl's game 40 minutes ago and sheltered-in-place because of a tornado warning! Go Racers!!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
The Poet 01:46 PM 02-25-2011
Auburn may suck, but Tide vs Tigers has taken on tree-mendous significance of late :-).

UK.....Sheesh!!!!!

MSU vs MSU, we were going to go, but it's an 8PM start, and 45 minute drive home after, and I gotta get up too early. Glad we didn't go; it's raining buckets around here, and they actually stopped the girl's game 40 minutes ago and sheltered-in-place because of a tornado warning! Go Racers!!!!!!!!!!!

"Tree-mendous". That's good, I like that. But maybe the rivalry would better suit the state of Oak-lahoma than Alabama. :-)

I think I'll hold my tongue on UK for now. Hey, I p!$$ed off enough Wildcat fans last season. :-)

Too bad you missed that MSU X 2 game, since it looks like it was a good 'un, with an outcome you'd have enjoyed.

Update pending.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:03 PM 02-25-2011
So here's the scores that struck me from last night:

Marquette 74 - U. Conn 67 (OT) = Well, I said Marquette had a shot to take the Huskies in Hartford, and they did just that, even if it took them an extra 5 minutes. And I don't wanna hear no whinin' about this being a factor of Jim Calhoun's absence from the team (due to the death of his sister-in-law, and not part of next year's NCAA's sanctions revealed against him), as this is far from the first time he's missed a game. In fact, for various reasons, this makes the 15th one he's handed the reins to George Blaney, who now falls to 7-8 as "head coach" of U. Conn. But all that aside, this is a very good road win for the Golden Eagles, which may have moved them to the safe side of that dreaded bubble.

USC 65 - Arizona 57 = This was the other "big-time" upset of the night, with the so-so Trojans handing the desert 'Cats their 3rd conference loss, and likely dropping them a full line or two down in the seedings for the NCAAs. Perhaps of as much significance is the fact that . . .

UCLA 71 - Arizona State 53 = . . . with the Bruins spanking the Sun Devils like this, their 11-4 record moves within a game of 'Zona's 12-3 Pac-10 mark. And that won't last too long, since they meet head-to-head Saturday, for what might be the marbles. Now that, that should be fun.

Appalachian State 85 - Charleston 70 = But this may be the biggest shocker of them all. I did not preview this one because I thought there was no damn way the Mountaineers could give the Cougars any sort of game at all. OK, so it was in Boone. Yeah, and? And Charleston pretty much OWNS the Southern Conference, while ASU "improves" to .500 overall with this victory. Plus, it was a fairly good spanking to boot! Sometimes you just can't make this stuff up.

Gonzaga 89 - St. Mary's 85 (OT) = But although I have a legitimate excuse for skipping that game above yesterday, I have none at all for missing this one on the schedule. Hey, I just blew it. This game was HUGE, and I whiffed. The 'Zags are making a late push to get back into The Dance, and this one over the Gaels locks them atop the WCC with 10-3 records. With only one bid likely for that league, this race is far from over.

Wisc. Milwaukee 87 - Cleveland State 83 = The same is true for the Horizon also. Now these two are tied with Butler for 1st, at 12-5, with Valpo all the way back at 11-6. So not even counting the wild cards, that makes 4 teams vying for 1 slot. Sharpen up the knives.

Florida 71 - Gerogia 62 = The Gators did not need this win to get a ticket, but it does clinch the SEC East for them. As for the 'Dawgs, they still have their noses pressed against the glass, hoping someone opens up a door for them. They could have used this one, but they still have 3 more shots at wins before the conference tourney starts. One against LSU won't help them much, but ones over the 'Cocks and/or the Tide might.

ODU 75 - James Madison 59 = I really thought this would be a closer game, although the winner's no surprise. This moves the Monarchs into a tie with Hofstra for 2nd in the Colonial, behind 1st-place George Mason. Unless some darkhorse in the league (and there's a whole paddock full of those) steals the automatic in the conference tourny, I could see all 3 of these dancing. However, maybe The Committee only sees 2, so there's still some hay to make here.

Murray State 70 - Morehead State 62 = Joe's Racers took care of business at home, and won the top spot of the Ohio Valley Conference, and if they can hold court against a so-so Eastern Kentucky squad on Saturday they will clinch the regular season. It used to be that that and a nickel would get you a cup of coffee, but now it takes five bucks. If they don't take the league tourney crown, they won't get that single automatic, and will then hit the road in hopes of winning some NIT games against the Big Boy wanna-bes. I know that, Joe knows that, and that's the way it is. Still, it's a very good win for Murray State, and they should enjoy it for all it's worth.

As per usual on Fridays, there isn't much to pick from tonight:

Harvard vs. Brown // Princeton vs. Cornell = The Crimson and the Tigers hold the Ivy lead, at 9-1 and 8-1 respt., and it does not look like anyone else will step up to challenge. I would not expect their opponents this evening to offer much of a fight, and so the sole bid for the Brainiac Conference should come down to two games for each school. Both must face Penn, the only other team above .500 in league play, and they also go head-to-head again a week from now. Princeton won their first meeting, so owns the first 1/2 of the tie-breaker.

Detroit vs. Wright State = OK, so neither one will take the Horizon season. Still, they are decent teams, and well-matched, and ought to give us a pretty good show. Besides, what else is there to choose from? Well, there is . . .

Iona vs. St. Peter's = These two are part of a 3-way for 2nd place in the MAAC, along with Rider (who has a potential "bye" game against a crappy Marist squad), all three behind the champ Fairfield. As with many already mentioned, there are no "at-large" bids available for the Metro Atlantic, so 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in league play means squat. However, it should be a danged good game, so if you find yourself in Jersey City tonight, two things: 1) Get a ticket; 2) Then get outta town ASAP. :-)

Back soon with some early Saturday games.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:07 PM 02-25-2011
Here are a few notable games which tip off early tomorrow:

Missouri vs. Kansas State = The Tigers are safely in the NCAAs, and the prairie 'Cats are likely on the plus side of the bubble too. Still, another quality win or two would help solidify their bid, as well as possibly improve their seed, and this chance at home should not be missed. Hey, if they can spank Kansas in Manhattan, the can crush Missou too. This one ought to be pretty good.

VCU vs. James Madison = And here are two tournament teams from the CAC. The only question is, what tournament? JM would have to steal the automatic to get into the NCAAs, and VCU might potentially join them in the NIT themselves. Regardless, I expect a good one here also.

Boston College vs. Virginia = Since the Cavaliers are NOT going to run the table in the ACC Tourney, the only way they'll see the NCAAs is if they get cable. And it has gotten to the point that BC will need to run the table in their final 3 conference games (doable), plus maybe win a game or two in the tourney (also doable), to earn an at-large. But "doable" means you gotta then go out and do it. Keep your eyes on this situation down the stretch.

Syracuse vs. Georgetown = Neither of these two need worry about getting a chance to Dance. But when you consider how they've played at times, both need to worry about missteps that could trip them up and put them on their fannies, tutus in the air. Somebody needs to step up here and make a statement, sooner or later. The last time I picked the Hoyas to win at home, they threw a shoe. And we all know how The Orange has rolled all over the stage so far this year. I'm not about to pick this one.

Wichita State vs. Missouri State = Here's perhaps the most vital conference matchup of the day, at least in the mid-majors, as they are tied for 1st in the Missouri Valley with 14-3 records. Teams like these two may never blow you away, but they also rarely fail to show up. This ought to be fun.

Vanderbilt vs. LSU = Me, I can't see Vandy losing to the Tigers, even in Baton Rouge. Hey, the SEC's been strange all year, so it could certainly happen. But I can't see Vandy dropping two in a row, when the opponent's LSU anyway. They better not, anyway, for with their last two being @ Kentucky and hosting Florida, they could end the regular campaign on a 4-game losing streak. That would not cost them an at-large, but it would not help their seeding one damn bit.

Arkansas vs. Auburn = And I give these Tigers about the same shot at an upset, which is not much of one. The 'Hogs are dangerously balanced on the bubble, and could slide off in the slightest breeze. If that's not enough motivation for them, I just don't know.

Nebraska vs. Iowa State = Speaking of bubbles, the 'Huskers have managed to, at the least, put it within sight, if not yet within grasp. In my book, a victory in Ames won't help them much, although a loss would hurt them a ton. But they will still have two more shots to impress, against Missou and Colorado, which are wins that WOULD help them. Yet they got to get there first, and it starts against the Cyclones.

I'll be back tomorrow with some more. Until then, enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:23 AM 02-26-2011
Huge game out west in ~45 minutes.

San Diego State vs. BYU

Big game for SDSU
[Reply]
The Poet 12:44 PM 02-26-2011
No surprises in last night's games, with status quo holding form. So as there are much too many games today, lemme get to the more important ones:

Miami vs. Florida State = The 'Noles are safely off the bubble, in a good way, while in a bad one so's the 'Canes. Still, they are not totally hopeless as a team, having beaten a few decent teams this year, and FSU has lost one of their best players to injury. I don't expect UM to win on the road, but they do have a chance.

Temple vs. George Washington = The Colonials may be first in war and peace, but they are 6th in the A-10. The Owls are 2nd, a game behind Xavier. But though they are the better team, they could get tested by GW in the Smith Center . . . that's the CHARLES Smith Center in DC, not the Dean Dome in CH. I figure on a 3-possession Owl victory, yet it could be closer.

Hofstra vs. Delaware = If the Pride wants to stat tied for 2nd in the CAC with ODU, they need to take care of the Fightin' Blue Hens in Hempstead. I think they will. However, they only lost to them by 3 in their 1st meeting, so give them a shot.

BYU vs. San Diego State = Here's the rematch for the Aztecs to avenge their only loss, and to grab the lead in the Mountain West. And despite the fact that, as you know, I think they are both over-ranked, this one should be a total war start to finish.

St. John's vs Villanova = So should this one. The Johnnies have shown they can win on the road, and the Philly 'Cats have also shown they can lose at home. Neither team needs the win to get an at-large, so the only thing at stake aside from pride is seeding in the Big East Tourney. This should be a lot of fun.

Memphis vs. UTEP = Do you think YOUR conference race is tight? Consider the CUSA then. The Tigers are 1 of 3 teams tied at the top with 9-4 records, with the Miners in another 3-way for 4th at 8-5. And just to make things interesting . . .

UAB vs. Houston = The Blazers are another one at 9-4, and although the Cougars are not in that hunt they can hoop a bit themselves. But we're still not done here, what with . . .

Southern Mississippi vs. UCF = Although the Mickeys have fallen on their bulbous snouts, the Golden Eagles are that other 9-4 team, and cannot afford to let UCF regain some of their early Magic Kingdom. And if that's not enough for you . . .

SMU vs. Marshall = The Mustangs are the 2nd of those 8-5 aspirants, and the Thundering Herd's not too shabby themselves, and will give SMU one heck of a game. Finally, just to put the cap on it . . .

Tulsa vs. Tulane = The Golden Hurricanes round out the round-robin as that last team in the mix. Luckily for them, they face the Green Wave, and I'd expect then to go all Katrina on Tulane. If you put all that together, you realize what this means? We COULD end the day with a 6-way tie for 1st place in the CUSA!! Wow.

Arizona vs. UCLA = There won't be a 6-way in the Pac-10, but this one in Pauley might jam up that race. The Wildcats are a game ahead of the Bruins, so here's their shot to catch them. Flip a coin.

Alabama vs. Mississippi = The Tide is trying to earn a little respect, for their 19-8 overall and 11-2 SEC West records seems to mean very little to the Selection Committee. Me, I don't think they're all that good, yet I also don't see how you can keep them out either. Still, they can help their cause with a few more Ws, and as they haven't many shots left, they'd best make hay.

Florida vs. Kentucky = Now these two, in the MUCH better SEC East, are safe no matter what happens the rest of the season. But the 'Cats, at 7-6 in league play, do not want to fall to .500, especially in front of their home crowd. It would not surprise me if this one goes down to the final few seconds.

Texas vs. Colorado = The Longhorns have shown they can beat anyone, and have shown they can struggle. Hey, that's the 'Horns for you, every year. As this is in Boulder, I give the Buffaloes a decent shot at making this a game.

Kansas vs. Oklahoma = And if the Jayhawks lose to the Sooners, Bill Self should make the team walk from Norman back to Lawrence.

Charleston vs. Western Carolina = On most days, especially one as crowded as this one, I'd skip this as a mis-match and move on. But here's the thing: Although I think the CoC Cougars are the class of the Southern Conference (they lead the South division there), and they are the only team in that league with 20+ wins, the Catamounts lead the North, and can actually play some themselves. Furthermore, Charleston visited Boone a few days ago, and lost to "meh" App. State, and today they visit Cullowhee. So maybe the Great Smokies gets in their eyes again.

Michigan vs. Minnesota = Both these teams have 17 wins (a good thing) and both are under .500 in the Big Ten (a not-so-good one). I have no votes, but both are on MY bubble, big time. It is possible they both will get at-large bids, and it is also possible both will NOT. One or the other really needs to step up today. I think the Logans have more young talent, and I know the Gophers have more experience, on the court and on the bench. Keep an eye on this one.

Iowa vs. Illinois = Barring a miracle in the conference tourney, the Hawkeyes are done, and just playing out the string. But the Illini are in the exact same position as those two just above, and need some wins to get over the hump. They are in Champaign, and are playing a crappy team, so if they don't get one today it's their own damn fault.

Harvard vs. Yale // Princeton vs. Columbia = Both these Ivy leaders won last night, both are playing back-to-backs, and both are playing a tougher opponent than their last one was. There's not all that much more there there in the Ivy, and they are one of the few with no second shot for the automatic via a tourney. If you care at all about this league, pay attention here.

Richmond vs. Charlotte = I like the Spiders, and think they deserve an at-large already. Still, a loss to the bottom-feeding 49ers in the Queen City today won't help their cause one bit. I can't see that happening, but you never know.

Notre Dame vs. Seton Hall = And I can't see the Irish losing in South Bend to the Pirates either. But that Hazell kid can pop for 30-40 points on any given night, so give SHU a puncher's shot.

South Carolina vs. Georgia = The Bulldogs are most likely on the safe side of any bubble already, while the 'Cocks are screwed. Yet to be honest, there's really not all that much difference between these two, aside from their records. Georgia may be a bit better, and the game's in Athens, so give them the edge. But don't give them a huge one.

Murray State vs. Eastern Kentucky = The Racers have the OVC season in their own hands, being one game up with only this one to play. Win it, at home, and your student body can rush the court and celebrate. The Colonels are a tougher opponent than Morehead faces in Tenn-Martin, but that should be no excuse. Just win, baby!

Texas A&M vs. Baylor = The Aggies have had a very quiet great season, and very few people have noticed that. The Bears started off on fire, but now have put themselves in dangerous bubble consideration. They need this one in Waco more than A&M, and they'd best realize that and show up to play.

Duke vs. Virginia Tech = I am pretty sure that Duke will get a bid, and I'm pretty sure the Hokies will also. They could clinch that in Blackburg tonight by sending the Blue Devils home with their spiked tails between their legs. I'm not at all sure than can manage that, but you have to give them a slim chance anyway.

St. Mary's vs. Portland = I really don't know what has happened to the Gaels of late. They were rolling along like a locomotive, then hit a wall with three Ls in succession. Portland's a decent team, and that could get to 4 late tonight, unless St. Mary's gets back on track. And they'd better due that too. They have not only given up sole possession of the WCC, but . . .

Gonzaga vs. San Diego = The 'Zags are the ones who caught them, and who also caught a break by facing a much worse opponent. You have to figure they will beat the Toreros (like the Gaels should have done), so could claim the league for their own if the Gaels lose that 4th one.

Lunchtime for me now. I'll be back in a bit with some early finals, and some Sunday games too.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:47 PM 02-26-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Huge game out west in ~45 minutes.

San Diego State vs. BYU

Big game for SDSU
Big game for the Stormin' Mormans too, as well as the Montezumas. At this moment, 34-28 Cougars.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 20
« First < 4121314 1516 > Last »
Up