Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 14 of 16
« First < 4121314 1516 >
General Discussion>Buying a new laptop- Apple?
Blueface 07:45 AM 01-17-2010
Originally Posted by Footbag:
Abut what Blueface is referring to is when your computer crashes or gives an error, it allows you to revert to the last good configuration.
Nope, that is not at all what I am referring to.

Time Machine is an automated or manual backup system for Mac that allows you to store all of your programs and documents onto another hardrive, such as a portable one, or a fixed second one. It can do it remotely via Time Capsule or by USB connection to the computer.
You can set it for daily, weekly, monthly or as I said, do it manually.
You can then enter Time Machine and view ANY of your backup dates and extract either all of its contents from that point in time or extract a specific file only.
Say I deleted a photo that I now wish I had. I can go to that specific point in Time Machine when it was there and pull it back into my current photos.

So, you have quite a bit of flexibility and aside from that, it is one touch or automatic and pulls EVERYTHING, including programs. It saves lots of time as it doesn't copy the entire hardrive each and every time. It only copies changes you have made since your last sync.

It is freaking carefree amazing backup and to say NT had that? No way.
I frankly don't think Windows 7 has that either but I am not sure and will take PC user's word.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 09:27 AM 01-17-2010
The same thing can be done in Windows, with a little motivation.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:02 PM 01-17-2010
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel:
The same thing can be done in Windows, with a little motivation.
Meaning?
[Reply]
0002S 03:01 PM 01-17-2010
Dell Mini 9 Hackintosh - FTW

Best $259 and about 3.5 hrs of my time I ever spent.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 03:42 PM 01-17-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Meaning?
Get cronw, your favorite backup software, and an external drive.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 04:03 PM 01-17-2010
Doh, too late to edit. Just wanted to point out I'm not a fanboy of any OS. But of the above choices, I pick Linux.
[Reply]
Footbag 05:37 PM 01-17-2010
Meaning?
Windows NT... You had to use task scheduler. Windows Vista and 7... Just set it up.

I did look it up and you can restore and backup just the changed files saving lots of time during the actual backup. It's in both Vista and 7.
[Reply]
JakeTheSnake 05:56 PM 01-17-2010
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
I might have to buy a new car so the laptop purchase is being delayed for now.. Although I wouldn't mind apple throwing in the quad core into the macbook in the mean time :-)
you should start an "american made VS import" thread,

or Ford VS Chevy etc!:-)
[Reply]
JaKaacH 07:01 PM 01-17-2010
Originally Posted by JakeTheSnake:

That has already been mentioned in this thread, the choices are: Yugo or BMW.:-)
[Reply]
357 02:47 PM 01-18-2010
Nope, that is not at all what I am referring to.

Time Machine is an automated or manual backup system for Mac that allows you to store all of your programs and documents onto another hardrive, such as a portable one, or a fixed second one. It can do it remotely via Time Capsule or by USB connection to the computer.
You can set it for daily, weekly, monthly or as I said, do it manually.
You can then enter Time Machine and view ANY of your backup dates and extract either all of its contents from that point in time or extract a specific file only.
Say I deleted a photo that I now wish I had. I can go to that specific point in Time Machine when it was there and pull it back into my current photos.

So, you have quite a bit of flexibility and aside from that, it is one touch or automatic and pulls EVERYTHING, including programs. It saves lots of time as it doesn't copy the entire hardrive each and every time. It only copies changes you have made since your last sync.

It is freaking carefree amazing backup and to say NT had that? No way.
I frankly don't think Windows 7 has that either but I am not sure and will take PC user's word.
There are at least 100 ways to skin this cat. Windows 7 is pretty idiot proof concerning backups. In reality the best option is online storage. There are dozens of good companies out there that offer such services.

Windows NT 4.0 offered Full or Incremental automated backups. Full are complete, obviously, and incrementals simply grab things that have changed since the last backup. So, yes way back in 1996 this was possible. I've been working on PC/Server support since 1998 including Windows NT 4.0 so I have personal experience. Just not too many people back then had tape drives or CD Burners. As the media has become cheaper backups have become more realistic for home users.

Still online storage makes the most sense. You select the folders/files you want backed up to their service and whenever you're online it checks for changes and grabs them. Best part, they service providers keep them on servers in their datacenter that are backed up with enterprise level hardware/software. Most such companies keep encrypted copies at multiple locations (east coast/west coast) just in case of a disaster. You simply cannot get that level of security/reliability from a home made backup solution; at least not for the same price range. Best part is your data is accessible from anywhere should the need arise.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 05:06 PM 01-18-2010
Originally Posted by 357:
In reality the best option is online storage. There are dozens of good companies out there that offer such services.
Yes, but if and only if you have at least one copy yourself.
[Reply]
shilala 07:50 AM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel:
Yes, but if and only if you have at least one copy yourself.
I back all my stuff up to a 500 gig external and lose it all the time.
I should cloud the stuff. :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 11:06 AM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by JakeTheSnake:

Luckily for everyone on here there won't be such thread. I got my car fixed at a price that was under my "if it is over X amount I'm buying a new car" limit.

1/27 I'm hoping for a quad core in the Macbook Pro. I think my laptop knows I'm looking for a replacement because this thing just seems to be getting worse daily.
[Reply]
goalie204 11:33 AM 01-19-2010
I don't think 1/27 announcement will be quad cores, i think it will be tablets. Quad core should be by april.
[Reply]
AD720 12:43 PM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by goalie204:
I don't think 1/27 announcement will be quad cores, i think it will be tablets. Quad core should be by april.
:-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:28 PM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by goalie204:
I hope you are very wrong. Did you see the article about the promotion to win an Apple macbook pro with a quadcore processor that was sent out but later changed to a HP laptop?? I can't wait until April for Apple to do that :-) Maybe a cheap netbook to tide me over until then? :-)
[Reply]
AD720 07:04 PM 01-19-2010
I hope you are very wrong. Did you see the article about the promotion to win an Apple macbook pro with a quadcore processor that was sent out but later changed to a HP laptop?? I can't wait until April for Apple to do that :-) Maybe a cheap netbook to tide me over until then? :-)
Like this?

:-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 01:45 PM 01-20-2010
Yes :-) Exactly like that!
[Reply]
AD720 02:00 PM 01-20-2010
Yes :-) Exactly like that!
It's a piece of cake. PM me for more info. :-)
[Reply]
357 09:50 PM 02-02-2010
I love stirring the pot...

[Reply]
Page 14 of 16
« First < 4121314 1516 >
Up