Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 14 of 21
« First < 4121314 1516 > Last »
Sports>Patriots Fans
taltos 04:42 PM 04-21-2011
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
Drew Bledsoe nominated for the Pats hall of fame.
Absolutely, he is the guy that Parcells drafted that turned a sorry franchise around:-)
Drew was very very good, to bad he would not put the work in to become one of great ones.
I go back to when the Patriots were founded and no doubt that Drew was critical to the current success of the team but I have to vote for Antwine, he was just amazing to watch. I could never support Parcells after he sold the team out while attending a Super Bowl with the Patriots in attendance.
[Reply]
Humpdebump 04:27 PM 04-22-2011
Bledsoe will always be my favorite Pats player. As many said, this franchise was a joke before he came here. Granted, Parcells had a lot to do with it too. He might not have been a mobile qb but man coul he sling the ball. He gets too much crap for not being able to move around but I could think of a bunch of others that were exactly like that but people praise them. Imagine if Parcells chose Mirrer :-)
[Reply]
VTDragon 09:54 PM 04-23-2011
People forget that when Bledsoe got hurt so badly taking that hit on the sidelines, we all thought that the season was over because the team was about to be turned over to an unproven career second stringer named Brady.. we all moaned and groaned and cursed our and Bledsoe's bad luck.

No doubt he was key in turning the franchise around. I'd like to see Brady help induct him into the Pats hall of fame.
[Reply]
chachee52 06:05 AM 04-24-2011
Originally Posted by VTDragon:
People forget that when Bledsoe got hurt so badly taking that hit on the sidelines, we all thought that the season was over because the team was about to be turned over to an unproven career second stringer named Brady.. we all moaned and groaned and cursed our and Bledsoe's bad luck.
I think that I was the only person to have made money on betting on Brady that first game!!

Anyway, Bledsoe was a great pocket QB, his downside the NFL was starting to be more mobile right in the middle of Bledsoe's carreer and he did not change. If he was around about 5-6 years earlier he'd be one of the greatest QBs in the league.
[Reply]
VTDragon 03:04 PM 07-27-2011
Finally a new season to think about. Thanks Mr Kraft for your hard work on the labor deal during your time of grief. A real class act!
Onto football:

I wondering:
Who will be our left tackle?
What kind of a pass rush will we have, (goodby Telly Banta-Cane)
Are the two rookie running backs any good?
Will we do the right thing and sign Logan Mankins to a long term deal, (Mr Kraft?)
Who will be the surprise free agent pick up to make the squad, or will that happen given the new practice/work rules?
Can Leigh Bodden regain his prior form?
Can McCourty avoid the sophomore slump? Ditto the two tight ends.
How much will Wilfork weigh with no mandated off season workouts?

All in all, it's nice not to think about labor deals and just think about the game. Hey, everyone in the NFL is unbeatten and the Red Sox are in first place. Ain't life grand!:-)
[Reply]
fhrblig 08:18 AM 07-28-2011
Uh, did the Patriots really just trade for Albert Haynesworth? :-)

I can hear the talking heads now, "if anyone can whip him into shape it's Belichick." Honestly, I think it's a LOT more likely that NO ONE can whip Haynesworth into shape. I heard them say the same thing about Shanahan and look how well that worked out. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but I think it ain't gonna happen.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not a Pats fan.)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:19 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by fhrblig:

I can hear the talking heads now, "if anyone can whip him into shape it's Belichick." Honestly, I think it's a LOT more likely that NO ONE can whip Haynesworth into shape. I heard them say the same thing about Shanahan and look how well that worked out. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but I think it ain't gonna happen.

As a Redskins fan, all I can say is: :-):-)

:-) :-)
[Reply]
Wanger 09:05 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by fhrblig:

I have a feeling he'll play for Belichick. Two big examples of "malcontents" that thrived with the Pats...Corey Dillon and Randy Moss. Playing for a coach who truly KNOWS how to win can make a player change some habits and buy into a system. shanahan won on the coattails of John Elway and Terrell Davis. He hasn't done anything in Wash, and after Elway was gone, he didn't do much in Denver.

I think he might have looked better in Purple, playing next to Kevin Williams, though. :-)
[Reply]
fhrblig 09:17 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by Wanger:
I have a feeling he'll play for Belichick. Two big examples of "malcontents" that thrived with the Pats...Corey Dillon and Randy Moss. Playing for a coach who truly KNOWS how to win can make a player change some habits and buy into a system. shanahan won on the coattails of John Elway and Terrell Davis. He hasn't done anything in Wash, and after Elway was gone, he didn't do much in Denver.

I think he might have looked better in Purple, playing next to Kevin Williams, though. :-)
I thought he'd play for Shanahan. That's all I'm sayin'. Admittedly, Shanahan has seemed to veer toward 'crazy old man' town lately...
[Reply]
massphatness 09:29 AM 07-28-2011
The Pats generally run a base 3-4, and my guess is they use Haynesworth only when they flex to their 4-3 package.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 10:12 AM 07-28-2011
Clear the streets, and lock up your women :-)
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 06:45 PM 07-28-2011
Ochocinco,what the hell is going on in Foxboro?
I always liked him but his skills are greatly diminished.
At least he is a fun guy to have around,I don't think his clown act will fly? :-)
[Reply]
VTDragon 10:31 AM 07-29-2011
Ochocinco - good move -- yes his skills are diminished, but he can still get open, he's not afraid to go over the middle, (ala Randy Moss), he plays every down, he's a good club house guy and he'll be lots of fun. Plus he didn't cost much.
Hainsworth, I don't know... He is one screwed up dude. IF Belicheck can get him to play and be a solid citizen off the field the Pats will have made the deal of the year -when he wants to be this guy is a pass rushing monster. If not, he will be cut and the Pats have not really lost anything except some wasted time in practice.
Ain't it great to have football to discuss again.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 10:35 AM 07-29-2011
Originally Posted by VTDragon:
Ochocinco - good move -- yes his skills are diminished, but he can still get open, he's not afraid to go over the middle, (ala Randy Moss), he plays every down, he's a good club house guy and he'll be lots of fun. Plus he didn't cost much.
All those three are laughable. He hates running across the middle, runs some of the worst routes in the NFL and takes plays off all the time. Lest you forget he is a 'look at me' guy, not exactly a good guy in the locker room with their current regime. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:56 AM 07-29-2011
I have big expectation of 85. The whole world is watching and he's getting to play with the best. This could be his last & best opportunity to show the world he can be that good.
[Reply]
chachee52 03:33 PM 07-29-2011
This is just like Christmas in July. I think that every year should be like this last week!!!
So, Banta-Cann=gone, Crumple=gone, and Ty Warren=gone? WOW, This is getting crazy!!! I can see Crumple, Banta-Cann.... ok he's getting up there (although I just love saying his name when he makes a play!!) but Warren? Never say him just to get cut!! Why in the world wouldn't we go after someone for him instead of just cutting him? He's going to be missed, do we really think that Haynsworth is going to step it up that much?
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 04:14 PM 07-29-2011
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
All those three are laughable. He hates running across the middle, runs some of the worst routes in the NFL and takes plays off all the time. Lest you forget he is a 'look at me' guy, not exactly a good guy in the locker room with their current regime. :-)
If don't run routes the way Brady wants him to he will be gone in a heart beat? A tip off will be if Tom gets in his face like he did with Gallolway.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 06:11 PM 07-29-2011
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
If don't run routes the way Brady wants him to he will be gone in a heart beat? A tip off will be if Tom gets in his face like he did with Gallolway.
It happened on a number of occasions with Palmer in Cincinnati, but clearly Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis didn't care. :-)
[Reply]
Tio Gato 07:43 PM 07-29-2011
Originally Posted by chachee52:
WOW, This is getting crazy!!! I can see Crumple, Banta-Cann.... ok he's getting up there (although I just love saying his name when he makes a play!!) but Warren? Never say him just to get cut!! Why in the world wouldn't we go after someone for him instead of just cutting him?
I don't know if it's true, but I heard on WEEI today that because of the new CBA it may make sense to cut players then rehire them later at a discount price. The idea being let them get healthy on their own dime and then save money later. Also if the Patriots thought they could get something for him they would.

I don't know what goes on in Bill's head, but I'd sure love to know.
[Reply]
chachee52 08:24 PM 07-29-2011
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:

I don't know what goes on in Bill's head, but I'd sure love to know.
The fact is: Just when you think that you do know, he throws something more drastic than a curve ball at ya!!! But I guess that's why we love the guy:-)
[Reply]
Page 14 of 21
« First < 4121314 1516 > Last »
Up