Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 135 of 351
« First < 3585125133134135 136137145185235 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>What beers are you enjoying?
cort 06:48 PM 05-30-2010
Originally Posted by Blindjimme:
Started yesterday afternoon with Stone Double Bastard, an Arrogant Bastard, then a few Deschutes Black Butte Porters. Great day with family, friends, food and thoughts for the Troops.
Sounds like a great lineup Jimmie.
St. Lou Stu 07:15 PM 05-30-2010
Picked up a 4-pack of Left Hand Imperial Stout.

When I poured it, I was afraid that it would be similar to Samuel Smith's. It had the same look and smell. And was lacking in head, just like Sam Smith.
Boy was I wrong!
This has to be in my top 20 now. Chocolate, caramel, molasses, and a hint of coffee all in good proportion.
Blindjimme 05:13 PM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
I was afraid that it would be similar to Samuel Smith's. It had the same look and smell. And was lacking in head, just like Sam Smith.
Samuel Smith was the first Imperial I tried. Haven't had one since. Imperial's sound like like something I would like, Sam Smith, not so much. Now that I know It's not just me, I'll pick up some Left Hand and Ol' Raspy to try :-)

Right now: Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale.
Jbailey 05:15 PM 06-01-2010
Three Floyds Gumballhead and an Ale Asylum Ballistic.
captain53 05:15 PM 06-01-2010
Shiner
BlackDog 05:24 PM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by Blindjimme:
Samuel Smith was the first Imperial I tried. Haven't had one since. Imperial's sound like like something I would like, Sam Smith, not so much. Now that I know It's not just me, I'll pick up some Left Hand and Ol' Raspy to try.
I love me some Old Raspy. Never had Left Hand's Imperial Stout, but their "Fade to Black" stout is awesome. Really one of the best I've ever had.

I'm drinking Deschutes Black Butte porter.
Skywalker 08:58 PM 06-01-2010
Sierra Nevada Summerfest!!!
awsmith4 04:09 AM 06-02-2010

When I poured it, I was afraid that it would be similar to Samuel Smith's. It had the same look and smell. And was lacking in head, just like Sam Smith.
Boy was I wrong!
This has to be in my top 20 now. Chocolate, caramel, molasses, and a hint of coffee all in good proportion.
I keep eying the Left Hand Imperial Stout at the store, I guess its time I give it a try :-)
kaisersozei 09:15 AM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
I love me some Old Raspy. Never had Left Hand's Imperial Stout, but their "Fade to Black" stout is awesome. Really one of the best I've ever had.
+1 on Fade to Black. :-) Althought it's won all kinds of awards, I don't really care for their milk stout, but Fade to Black is awesome. I may have to try the Imperial. They also bottle an oak aged Imperial Stout, but I've never seen it in my area.
VirtualSmitty 02:00 PM 06-02-2010
Mad Anthony's APA. Just picked up a six pack, haven't had in ages.
BlackDog 05:46 PM 06-02-2010
Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue). This stuff is 'da bomb. I need to find a homebrew clone.
awsmith4 10:38 PM 06-04-2010

Boy was I wrong!
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
I keep eying the Left Hand Imperial Stout at the store, I guess its time I give it a try :-)
I picked up a four pack tonight. When I got home I noticed the bottled on date was 10-24-07. With much trepidation I chilled a bottle and poured it into a snifter. I was expecting it to be past it prime but it turned out to be fantastic!
St. Lou Stu 07:14 AM 06-05-2010
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
I picked up a four pack tonight. When I got home I noticed the bottled on date was 10-24-07. With much trepidation I chilled a bottle and poured it into a snifter. I was expecting it to be past it prime but it turned out to be fantastic!
Bottled on date.... huh, I gotta go check mine now. I still have one bottle left.

Last night I had a couple of American IPAs from Schlafly while I was eating dinner at the Bottleworks.

WOW!! That has to be one of the best, well hopped IPAs I've ever had!Aroma, flavor, and bitterness were all spot on.
I got a growler to go!
Jbailey 11:04 AM 06-05-2010
Lagunitas IPA
Blindjimme 11:42 AM 06-05-2010
Yardwork then Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale.
kaisersozei 12:00 PM 06-05-2010
A little story about the beer I had last night: back in the mid-90's, I found the ale that set me on the path to becoming a Hophead. The Old Dominion Brewing company in Ashburn, VA, released Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale and it quickly became one of my favorite beers. We lived up in Northern Virginia at the time, so it was easy enough to find. I also tried to concoct numerous clone recipes that I happily brewed myself. A few years later, the brewmaster at Old Dominion left for Victory Brewing and Tupper's never really tasted the same. Old Dominion eventually stopped brewing it, and the brewery went defunct. But I still remember that beer as one of my first "true loves" :-) :-)

Imagine my surprise when, yesterday, I'm wandering through Whole Foods and saw an entire Tupper's display! The beer is now brewed by St. George Brewing Company in Hampton, VA, and follows the original recipe. I picked up a 4 pack for $8, and cracked open a bottle last night:

Great stuff, just about how I remember it. Well balanced pale ale, not quite in the IPA range, more like a hoppy amber. But still very complex and tasty!
BigFrank 07:12 PM 06-05-2010
First Sam Adams Summer Ale. Taste a little bit different from what I remember last year.
Blindjimme 07:18 PM 06-05-2010
Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:18 PM 06-05-2010
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
First Sam Adams Summer Ale. Taste a little bit different from what I remember last year.
I hate Sam Adams Summer ale. I don't know why, but it was really bad. There are many other summer beers I would go for over this.

Do you like this years better than last years? I don't think I had one from last year.
Blindjimme 07:39 PM 06-05-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
I hate Sam Adams Summer ale. I don't know why, but it was really bad. There are many other summer beers I would go for over this.
:-) And I know why. Tastes more like a cider or pumpkin concoction than a beer.

"Grains of Paradise" does have a nice ring to it though :-)
Page 135 of 351
« First < 3585125133134135 136137145185235 > Last »
Up