Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 134 of 159
« First < 3484124132133134 135136144 > Last »
General Discussion>What are you reading?
Tidefan73 02:51 PM 09-06-2014
Halfway through The Dome, Stephen King. Interesting.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:48 PM 09-07-2014
You My People Shall Be Holy - A festschrift honoring Rev. Dr. John Kleinig
Support And Defend - Tom Clancy
Lord Foul's Bane - Stephen Donaldson
[Reply]
hotreds 06:59 PM 09-07-2014
[Reply]
jledou 05:09 AM 01-04-2015
Caught up on a lot of reading around the end of the year with travel and vacation.
Finished up A Dance with Dragons so now it is a wait game.
Read Inferno by Dan Brown, the first 4 books in the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne and getting ready to read the last 2.

Heads up, Havana Nocturne is the Audible daily deal if you a good book on Cuba and the mob for $5. http://www.audible.com/pd/History/Ha..._rd_s=center-2

happy reading in 2015
[Reply]
jsnake 08:59 AM 01-04-2015
Started reading the Lee Child series with Jack Reacher. Probably read them all before i hit a new author.
[Reply]
shilala 09:14 AM 01-04-2015
The Shell Collector - Hugh Howey. I've read all his stuff, enjoyed them all.
I read The Old Man's War again the other day, now I want to read Ghost Brigades again.
Finally got to Ubik, I enjoyed it.

I just recently finished Canticle For Leibowitz, I'm trying to finish up all of the SF Masterworks.
Problem with that list is that there's a lot of Fantasy and not a lot of Science Fiction.

I recently read "The Stars My Destination" and "Godwhale".
Godwhale was really good, I thoroughly enjoyed it. A dystopian/sci-fi mixture. Semi-dystopian, anyways. You just gotta read it. It's very different and very fun.

Michael and Tom, I think you'd love this one if you haven't read it yet. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 05:55 AM 01-11-2015
Fevre Dream
That was really fun. Out of my normal type of things I read, it was about vampires and steamboats on the Mississippi when they owned the river. It was long on steamboat and short on vampire, and really, really good.

I'm reading Space Viking - H. Beam Piper right now. It's a bit draggy, I'd put it down were it not so highly vauted. It's a short space opera, I'd say. And the way Piper writes, he's hard to follow.

I read Little Fuzzy - H. Bean Piper the other day.
I got onto Little Fuzzy because I was going to reread Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi.
It's a reimagining of Little Fuzzy.
Of the two, I think Fuzzy Nation is a lot better. But without anything to compare to, Little Fuzzy is excellent. Both are very worthwhile.
[Reply]
hotreds 06:52 AM 01-11-2015
[Reply]
sikk50 10:32 AM 01-11-2015
"Tinseltown"
William Mann
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:35 AM 01-11-2015
Stephen King's Revival. Enjoyable quick read.
[Reply]
timj219 07:24 PM 01-11-2015
"The First Paul" by John Crossman and Marcus Borg.
It's biblical scholarship written for the layman. Talks about the view you get of Paul when you look only at the letters that are universally ascribed to him. Apparently half the letters are regarded by many scholars as having been written by others later. Well written and not too far over my head (lifelong churchgoer but by no means a scholar) so probably accessible to anyone who is interested. I thought it was fascinating. Warning: the authors would be classified by some as centrist or liberal in their view of religion and society. Obviously their biases are reflected in their biblical interpretations. On the other hand they footnote well so contrasting views are easy to track down for a balanced view.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:36 PM 01-11-2015
Yes, Borg and Crossan are definitely quite far in the Jesus Seminar point of view of things. They are good writers and Crossan is very entertaining with his impish grin and Irish accent when interviewed. But I certainly find grave fault with their theology- as an amateur Bible and Historical Jesus scholar.
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:25 PM 01-11-2015
Revel, Riot and Rebellion, Popular politics and culture in England 1603-1660 by David Underdown
[Reply]
timj219 08:48 AM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Yes, Borg and Crossan are definitely quite far in the Jesus Seminar point of view of things. They are good writers and Crossan is very entertaining with his impish grin and Irish accent when interviewed. But I certainly find grave fault with their theology- as an amateur Bible and Historical Jesus scholar.
I'm thinking of trying something from Ben Witherrington. He also seems to write for the layman. Have you read any of his work?
[Reply]
timj219 08:56 AM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
Revel, Riot and Rebellion, Popular politics and culture in England 1603-1660 by David Underdown
Looks interesting - maybe a little specialized for me though. Especially with the sticker shock associated with university presses :-). Are you a student or a professor?
[Reply]
hotreds 09:07 AM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by timj219:
I'm thinking of trying something from Ben Witherrington. He also seems to write for the layman. Have you read any of his work?
Witherington takes a much more "conservative" view of things. I have read him and he is also a good writer. Another recommended writer is Darrell Bock. I also like Bart Ehrman even though I disagree almost completely with his pov.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:06 AM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by shilala:
...I read Little Fuzzy - H. Bean Piper the other day.
I got onto Little Fuzzy because I was going to reread Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi.
It's a reimagining of Little Fuzzy.
Of the two, I think Fuzzy Nation is a lot better. But without anything to compare to, Little Fuzzy is excellent. Both are very worthwhile.
I read Little Fuzzy sometime last year as part of an anthology. I was quite surprised at how good the story was. Now I am intrigued about Fuzzy Nation and will have to add that to my list (I like Scalzi a lot).
[Reply]
shilala 08:39 AM 01-17-2015
You'll enjoy it, Michael. It's a lot less absorbed with the courtroom drama.

I'm just finishing "Consider Phlebas".
It's the beginning of a 10 book series by Iain Banks.
It could have been trimmed by about 200 pages, quite frankly and bored me to tears in spots.
I'm going to read the second installation "The Player of Games" and if that doesn't shake out, I'm done with the series.
I really only started the series to read "The Use of Weapons". I hate to burn 900 pages of boredom to get to it, though.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 07:11 AM 01-19-2015
Just finished Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle last night and am currently in the middle of All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

I recommend All the Light highly. Wolf in White Van was just incredibly convoluted. It did however, maintain my interest.
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:39 AM 01-19-2015
Just started Stephen King's 'Mr Mercedes'
[Reply]
Page 134 of 159
« First < 3484124132133134 135136144 > Last »
Up