Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 134 of 352
« First < 3484124132133134 135136144184234 > Last »
General Discussion>First Firearm Thread.
Steve 10:43 AM 03-04-2012
Ditto!
SNKBYT 10:56 AM 03-04-2012
anyone out there got a "mare's leg" or "ranch hand"? if so how well do you like it? would a buy another or recommend to a buddy? am considering it as my next purchase
theonlybear4CORT 12:25 PM 03-04-2012
rite when I came home I had to take it apart and clean it.
boom 05:14 PM 03-04-2012
Nice Mikey!!!!!
jsnake 05:35 PM 03-04-2012
Happy Birthday to me

Malazan 05:58 PM 03-04-2012
:-)

Love the PMAGS
eber 08:21 PM 03-04-2012
I can FINALLY post in this thread!

I just bought my first gun, it was a birthday present to myself. After a lot of looking around I settled on a Sig Sauer P250 9MM (full-size). I will post pics once the 48hr waiting period is over and I can pick it up.
big a 08:35 PM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by eber:
I can FINALLY post in this thread!

I just bought my first gun, it was a birthday present to myself. After a lot of looking around I settled on a Sig Sauer P250 9MM (full-size). I will post pics once the 48hr waiting period is over and I can pick it up.
Welcome to the club. Watch out This slope has become much worse for me lately than cigars.
eber 09:01 PM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by big a:
Welcome to the club. Watch out This slope has become much worse for me lately than cigars.
Yeah i have noticed, I don't even have this one in my possession yet and I already know which one I want next (some kind of 1911), anyone have any experience with Rock Island Arms 1911s?
bigswol2 09:17 PM 03-04-2012
I'm still waiting for a Ruger sr1911.
BHalbrooks 11:10 PM 03-04-2012
In MA it's really really really difficult to get a CCW here. I was excited because I thought I could keep my MI residency until I got a CCW from MI. Wrong, when I filed Taxes they said I was a current resident of MA.

I hope my Wife gets stationed somewhere South next :-)
Some beautiful pieces in this thread.
big a 08:01 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by eber:
Yeah i have noticed, I don't even have this one in my possession yet and I already know which one I want next (some kind of 1911), anyone have any experience with Rock Island Arms 1911s?

I too would like to hear what some brothers on here think. A couple local gun shops have told me that they are a good gun for the money. I have not owned or shot one but when checking them out I didn't like the sights and the way it fit in my hand.

Originally Posted by bigswol2:
I'm still waiting for a Ruger sr1911.
I am trying to pick between this and a kimber. Would like to shoot the ruger before buying.
Malazan 08:12 PM 03-05-2012
If you want a 1911 for range use, almost any will do. If it's something you want for your own protection. You need to spend some money to get into a descent self defense pistol, (Speaking about 1911's). For 5 to 6 hundred dollars you can get into a glock or XD

For a defensive piece, I'd start looking at the Springfield Loaded series, STI makes some good guns, Les Baer, Dan Wesson Valor series, Smith & Wesson(Even with the external extractor):-)

1911's are fickle guns, they need to be put together well to function, and be maintained to a high level. Were I can shoot 10k rounds through my glock and never clean it, and then throw it in the floor of my truck and know I can use it in an instant.

I would never treat my 1911 like that. I clean it once a week, whether I shoot it or not. And I always make sure the parts are functioning correctly. It's my carry weapon, so I have to trust my life to it.

1911's are sweet, but take some time to become proficient with. And you must be willing to invest some time to learning the safe carry and handling of a single action semi-auto. And the care and maintenance of this weapon.

But they are sweet....

eber 09:07 PM 03-05-2012
thanks for the info malazan, thats a great looking 1911 :-)
big a 09:41 AM 03-06-2012
Great looking gun Malazan. Pardon my ignorance but why do you clean the 1911 once a week even if not shot? Are they effected by natural conditions that much that could cause an issue?
Poronico 12:33 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Malazan:
If you want a 1911 for range use, almost any will do. If it's something you want for your own protection. You need to spend some money to get into a descent self defense pistol, (Speaking about 1911's). For 5 to 6 hundred dollars you can get into a glock or XD

For a defensive piece, I'd start looking at the Springfield Loaded series, STI makes some good guns, Les Baer, Dan Wesson Valor series, Smith & Wesson(Even with the external extractor):-)

1911's are fickle guns, they need to be put together well to function, and be maintained to a high level. Were I can shoot 10k rounds through my glock and never clean it, and then throw it in the floor of my truck and know I can use it in an instant.

I would never treat my 1911 like that. I clean it once a week, whether I shoot it or not. And I always make sure the parts are functioning correctly. It's my carry weapon, so I have to trust my life to it.

1911's are sweet, but take some time to become proficient with. And you must be willing to invest some time to learning the safe carry and handling of a single action semi-auto. And the care and maintenance of this weapon.

But they are sweet....

If something requires that much upkeep and is so prone to failure if its not taken care of exceedingly well then why trust your life with it? :-)
Malazan 12:34 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by big a:
Great looking gun Malazan. Pardon my ignorance but why do you clean the 1911 once a week even if not shot? Are they effected by natural conditions that much that could cause an issue?
It picks up quite a bit of lint off clothing and dust just from being concealed carried. Also, little bits of leather get on to it from the holster. It is also stainless steel, so I like to wipe it down with oil since it rest against my skin. Especially in the summer when you sweat more.

1911's are the pickiest pistol about being clean and lubed. So I figure better safe than sorry since I trust my life to it.
Malazan 12:39 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Poronico:
If something requires that much upkeep and is so prone to failure if its not taken care of exceedingly well then why trust your life with it? :-)
It's not hard to maintain. It takes 30 mins out of my life to keep it in top shape.

The 1911's sole purpose is as a combat weapon. It was designed for military use. A well built, well maintained 1911 is as reliable as they come. And is one of the most accurate pistols out there. It also is very safe to carry in Condition 1, due to the design of the safeties.

It carries concealed better than any other, fits the hand like a glove, has a natural point of aim, trigger pull is the same on every shot, so no learning Double action pull-Single action pull

For precision CQB shooting all the SOC units use 1911's, so they are reliable under combat conditions.

Here is a good website about the 1911. It's run by Hilton Yam, he is a premier 1911 builder and a full time Police officer and SWAT member

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...-Duty-Use.html
emopunker2004 12:48 PM 03-06-2012
a properly built and tuned 1911 is not a fickle gun. Every properly built modern 1911 should run fine on ball and HP ammo.
Malazan 12:49 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
Every properly built modern 1911 should run fine on ball and HP ammo.
That's the key right there. Properly built

You see people with a lot more issues with 1911's. Most are ammo or magazine related I would say

I don't really mean fickle, but you know, Most 1911's are hand fitted, so whoever does the work really needs to be on the ball, or you can run into problems real quick
Page 134 of 352
« First < 3484124132133134 135136144184234 > Last »
Up