Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 134 of 350
« First < 3484124132133134 135136144184234 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
The Professor 10:53 AM 09-26-2009
Originally Posted by dogface_313:
That video is pretty insane! That guy is huge, and incredibly strong. He is certainly powerful, but I would love to see what his agility, and speed look like though
Why? Different people, different goals. Regardless, I think you'd be surprised at the speed and agility of some of the world class bodybuilders and powerlifters.
DavenportESQ 10:58 AM 09-26-2009
Originally Posted by The Professor:
Why? Different people, different goals. Regardless, I think you'd be surprised at the speed and agility of some of the world class bodybuilders and powerlifters.
Idk about bodybuilders. For shows those guys are so stripped down if they walk to fast they might faint...
dogface_313 11:49 AM 09-26-2009
Granted different people have different goals, I myself am more geared towards overall functional fitness(dead lift and squat certainly are very functional moves, not so much on bench). Because of that I am less impressed by one rep maxes, and more impressed with workouts that are high intensity(HR up around 170-180 bpm) for extended periods of time.

such as these:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...nHeavyFran.wmv
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...WorkoutPre.wmv

sorry about the language on this last one, suggest you hit the mute button. However, the muscle-up is one of the most functional fitness movement out there, most people can't do one. This is impressive.
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...erwood30MU.wmv
The Professor 12:45 PM 09-26-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
Idk about bodybuilders. For shows those guys are so stripped down if they walk to fast they might faint...
Fair enough. I was just thinking about the guy in the video, who is a BB by profession. Certainly at meet time, they're effed. :-)

Because of that I am less impressed by one rep maxes, and more impressed with workouts that are high intensity(HR up around 170-180 bpm) for extended periods of time.
Like I said, different strokes for different folks. I'd actually rather be fat and massively strong than "fit." Of course, right now I'm just massively fat. :-) :-)
dogface_313 01:12 PM 09-26-2009
Fair enough. I was just thinking about the guy in the video, who is a BB by profession. Certainly at meet time, they're effed. :-)

Like I said, different strokes for different folks. I'd actually rather be fat and massively strong than "fit." Of course, right now I'm just massively fat. :-) :-)
Haha, nothing funnier that self deformation. Didn't mean to come in here and start seeming like I am a fitness god.

There are many definitions of "fit" out there, in my mind I would say there has to be a very good balance of strength, speed, agility, balance and flexibility.

Watching those videos got me fired up though, went and did the workout "Fran", forgot how much that one sucks.
Mugen910 01:22 PM 09-26-2009
:-):-)
icehog3 01:28 PM 09-26-2009
That video is pretty insane! That guy is huge, and incredibly strong. He is certainly powerful, but I would love to see what his agility, and speed look like though
No need for speed....that Dude doesn't need to run from anyone. :-) :-)
dogface_313 02:12 PM 09-26-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Not to sure about that Tom. I know some fellas that revel in taking down guys that are far bigger than them.
BigFrank 07:11 PM 09-26-2009
cross fit is a cult.
Mugen910 07:28 PM 09-26-2009
Why you telling people? - told u that in private :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
icehog3 10:51 AM 09-27-2009
Not to sure about that Tom. I know some fellas that revel in taking down guys that are far bigger than them.
Some big guys have skilz too, Ryan. :-)
The Professor 11:07 AM 09-27-2009
Some big guys have skilz too, Ryan. :-)
"Don't taze me, bro!" :-) :-)
icehog3 11:24 AM 09-27-2009
"Don't taze me, bro!" :-) :-)
1:13 mark.... :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtb-9yGJBg
dogface_313 11:59 AM 09-27-2009
No working out for this guy today. To many 12 oz curls last night
icehog3 12:17 PM 09-27-2009
Same here, vodka bit me a bit...back to the gym manana.
dogface_313 12:56 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
cross fit is a cult.
Maybe, but it delivers. since starting CROSSFIT my physical training sessions seem easy, i have more energy during the day, have become more flexible, and my functional strength and speed have increased a ton.
BigFrank 04:57 PM 09-27-2009
Performing compound movements both basic and difficult for reps in a state of pre exhaustion while trying to be fast about it? I'll pass.

Quote from Charles Poliquin: "If you try to do everything in your workout, you get nothing. CrossFit is different, and maybe even fun for some people, but it's not very effective. No athlete has ever gotten good training like that."

If it works for you, more power to ya. But only advantage I see in crossfit is you become good at doing crossfit. You want functional strength? Try strongman training.
BigFrank 04:58 PM 09-27-2009
Gym tonight was rough.
Power Cleans, Heavy Rows, Chins, and Band Pull aparts.

Back 100% tomorrow.
Ordering a prowler and some heavy handles for farmers walks this week. Might try to get someone ( welder ) at work to make me a pair before I order a pair.
DavenportESQ 05:49 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
Performing compound movements both basic and difficult for reps in a state of pre exhaustion while trying to be fast about it? I'll pass.

Quote from Charles Poliquin: "If you try to do everything in your workout, you get nothing. CrossFit is different, and maybe even fun for some people, but it's not very effective. No athlete has ever gotten good training like that."

If it works for you, more power to ya. But only advantage I see in crossfit is you become good at doing crossfit. You want functional strength? Try strongman training.
Agree 100% While I try to add circuits in. I do it to break monotony at the gym, also on days when I do not have a lot of time. Or I use it as a more cardiovascular work out.

This whole term of "functional strength" that everyone throws around is kind of ridiculous. Who judges what is functional and not? If your a strongman isn't squatting 1000lbs functional? Is it functional for you to be able to do 1000 burpees in a day?

BTW Poliquin is the man, the myth and the legend. I have been lucky enough to meet him and chat a little bit and he is a true great one. An innovator and someone who really to me is about "functional strength"

side note isn't this a pumping iron thread?Not a silly pilates, or fitness thread?OR YOGA FOR THAT MATTER:-):-):-):-)
The Professor 06:37 PM 09-27-2009
side note isn't this a pumping iron thread?Not a silly pilates, or fitness thread?OR YOGA FOR THAT MATTER:-)
Hey! I haven't mentioned the "Y" word for a long time. :-) No time or energy for that sh*t once I started really kicking it up with the iron. Speaking of, I can't effing wait to get back into the swing of things this week. Westside-style ME/DE split? Yes please. :-)
Page 134 of 350
« First < 3484124132133134 135136144184234 > Last »
Up