Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 133 of 159
« First < 3383123131132133 134135143 > Last »
General Discussion>What are you reading?
CigarNut 07:31 AM 07-02-2014
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. Really getting a good laugh out of the series. He's the last Druid and he's living in Tempe Arizona running a bookstore. We have Irish gods, vampires, werewolves and a talking wolfhound. :-)
I might have to check this out.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:28 AM 07-02-2014
The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. Really getting a good laugh out of the series. He's the last Druid and he's living in Tempe Arizona running a bookstore. We have Irish gods, vampires, werewolves and a talking wolfhound. :-)
It sounds kind of Neil Gaiman-ish. And I mean that in a good way.
[Reply]
tsolomon 12:47 PM 07-02-2014
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
It sounds kind of Neil Gaiman-ish. And I mean that in a good way.
I'm a Neil Gaiman fan as well, have both copies of American Gods. :-)
[Reply]
Steve 04:38 PM 07-05-2014
I'm listening to One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey. Enjoying it with a nice pipe!
[Reply]
YankeeMan 06:09 AM 07-06-2014
Mr. Mercedes, by Stephen King.
[Reply]
mjdx88 09:48 AM 07-07-2014
Just started Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy. I have been working on the Jack Ryan / John Clark universe for a while now.
[Reply]
RUNYYFan 10:19 AM 07-07-2014
I'm about two-thirds of the way through Carroll Quigley's Tragedy and Hope for the third time. Those interested may wish to DL the PDF of this 1,367 page opus at: http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/Tragedy_and_Hope.pdf.

A few others of Prof. Quigley's works are also available through the root site.
[Reply]
markem 02:27 PM 07-10-2014
Just finished book 1 of the soulkeepers series. Liked it enough to buy the other five from amazon (kindle)
[Reply]
riverdawg 12:43 PM 07-11-2014
Ok, we live in the middle of nowhere and have only minimal broadcast, antenna TV. So yeah, I had heard of the Game of Thrones television series, but somehow had missed the fact that it was initially a book series. I'm almost at the end of the third volume after just under three weeks of reading. Love 'em. I'm hooked.:-)

Is the film version worth my time?
[Reply]
Victor808 12:54 PM 07-11-2014
I'm reading the Wool series. Finished 'Wool' a few days ago and am about 1/3 of the way through 'Shift'. I already have 'Dust' on the Kindle so when I finish 'Shift' I can start right in on it.
Finished Shift a few days ago.... Loved the Wool Series, not 100% on board with the direction they went with Shift, but I'm willing to follow through to see where it goes. Haven't bought Dust yet.

Currently plowing through H2O... meh. One of those self-published books on amazon. Started ok, but really getting silly. Wouldn't recommend it.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 01:36 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by riverdawg:
Ok, we live in the middle of nowhere and have only minimal broadcast, antenna TV. So yeah, I had heard of the Game of Thrones television series, but somehow had missed the fact that it was initially a book series. I'm almost at the end of the third volume after just under three weeks of reading. Love 'em. I'm hooked.:-)

Yes.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 01:37 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by Victor808:
Finished Shift a few days ago.... Loved the Wool Series, not 100% on board with the direction they went with Shift, but I'm willing to follow through to see where it goes. Haven't bought Dust yet.
I think 'Dust' wraps up the series quite nicely.
[Reply]
Victor808 03:22 PM 07-11-2014
I think 'Dust' wraps up the series quite nicely.
Tried any of his other work? Halfway Home has a similar feeling to the Silo series, pretty quick read.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 04:30 PM 07-11-2014
Tried any of his other work? Halfway Home has a similar feeling to the Silo series, pretty quick read.
I haven't read anything else by him, but I've got 'Halfway Home' in my Amazon wish list.
[Reply]
Nathan 06:02 PM 07-14-2014
Originally Posted by riverdawg:

100% it is!
[Reply]
tsolomon 01:17 PM 08-04-2014
Starship Troopers by Heinlein, been going old school Sci Fi lately. I'm also getting ready for a 2 week vacation so I ordered several other books to reread.

Dune
Foundation
Hyperion

Just finished Ubik and Ender's Game. :-)
[Reply]
Steve 01:18 PM 08-04-2014
A great book Tom...
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 01:29 PM 08-04-2014
Starship Troopers by Heinlein, been going old school Sci Fi lately. I'm also getting ready for a 2 week vacation so I ordered several other books to reread.

Dune
Foundation
Hyperion

Just finished Ubik and Ender's Game. :-)
I re-read the Hyperion series every couple of years. I'm currently about 1/4 of the way through the last one, 'Rise of Endymion'.
[Reply]
shilala 10:53 AM 09-06-2014
In the last couple weeks I read...
All 4 books of The Hyperion Cantos, which were good, but about 3 books too long.
Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke. Might have been a real piece that spoke at a time, but I didn't think it was all that great. Not nearly for the accolades it gets.
Going Postal - Terry Pratchett. Funny and kept me hooked.
Lock In - John Scalzi. It was pretty good. I'd recommend it.
I am Legend - Richard Matheson. I started reading it yesterday morning and never put it down till I was done last night. I loved it. It was nothing like the movie, as you can imagine, wasn't strung out an extra 10,000 words, and was pretty damned awesome.
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut. Bleh.

I know there were a few more in there that I finished, and at least 3 or 4 that I started that were so awful I gave up.
I Am Legend was easily the best of the bunch.

Edit:
I just saw the couple posts above. I thought I was the only person in the world who ever waded through The Cantos. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 10:57 AM 09-06-2014

Currently plowing through H2O... meh. One of those self-published books on amazon. Started ok, but really getting silly. Wouldn't recommend it.
If you guys like Hugh Howey, I, Zombie is pretty good. It's an easy read, and it's from the Zombie's point of view. Kinda dark, but a fun read.
[Reply]
Page 133 of 159
« First < 3383123131132133 134135143 > Last »
Up