Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 131 of 138
« First < 3181121129130131 132133 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
HailTheBrownLeaf 07:53 PM 07-11-2016
Thanks fellas :-)
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 11:57 PM 07-12-2016
Just smoke them now then you will know they're good :-)
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 07:23 AM 07-13-2016
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba:
Just smoke them now then you will know they're good :-)
Shhh...I'm trying to learn patience. :-)

At least I know (by their own verbal admission when I was in there on Monday talking with the owner in their walk-in humidor) that my local B&M sells their sticks pretty moist. So I'm trying to be patient for at least a few weeks, and am attempting to let my Boveda packs in my ziplock baggies do their thing.

Which brings me to another question. I know that once I get my Tuppador (hopefully next month) up and going that I will need to "burp" (or leave it open for like an hour) once a week to let the gasses out and let fresh air in.

Should I open my ziplocks to let gasses out or fresh air in once a week (until I get my Tuppador) or do I just leave them sealed with my sticks and Boveda inside and open them only if I want a cigar??
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:56 AM 07-13-2016
Originally Posted by HailTheBrownLeaf:
Shhh...I'm trying to learn patience. :-)

At least I know (by their own verbal admission when I was in there on Monday talking with the owner in their walk-in humidor) that my local B&M sells their sticks pretty moist. So I'm trying to be patient for at least a few weeks, and am attempting to let my Boveda packs in my ziplock baggies do their thing.

Which brings me to another question. I know that once I get my Tuppador (hopefully next month) up and going that I will need to "burp" (or leave it open for like an hour) once a week to let the gasses out and let fresh air in.

No leave everything sealed until you are going to smoke something. The only thing opening a humidor, winador, tuppador, etc., does is change the humidity.

Should I open my ziplocks to let gasses out or fresh air in once a week (until I get my Tuppador) or do I just leave them sealed with my sticks and Boveda inside and open them only if I want a cigar??

Same as above, no need to open anything.
Some comments inline.

Also if your B&M sells the sticks too moist you might actually want to dry box them for a bit so they actually come down in humidity and aren't too wet for you. There are many threads on dry boxing here.
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 11:47 PM 07-17-2016
Would having two 69% Boveda packs be overkill for a ziplock bag with only 5 cigars currently resting inside it???

I ask because I just smoked my last stick from the baggie of various sticks I bought a month ago at my B&M (with a 69% Boveda pack) and now it's just the Boveda pack left in that bag. Should I put that month old Boveda pack in my other ziplock bag with the 5 cigars that I bought a week ago?

The bag I bought last week already has another 69% Boveda in there so would adding that second one from a month ago be too much? I don't wanna waste the month old Boveda (if I don't have to) so I thought I'd ask here...
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 04:47 AM 07-18-2016
Originally Posted by HailTheBrownLeaf:
Would having two 69% Boveda packs be overkill for a ziplock bag with only 5 cigars currently resting inside it???

I ask because I just smoked my last stick from the baggie of various sticks I bought a month ago at my B&M (with a 69% Boveda pack) and now it's just the Boveda pack left in that bag. Should I put that month old Boveda pack in my other ziplock bag with the 5 cigars that I bought a week ago?

The bag I bought last week already has another 69% Boveda in there so would adding that second one from a month ago be too much? I don't wanna waste the month old Boveda (if I don't have to) so I thought I'd ask here...
It should be fine to put both Bovedas together. Look at it this way - each bag has to work half as much.
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 03:20 AM 07-20-2016
Yep I went ahead and did it lol.
[Reply]
luther 10:40 PM 07-24-2016
I just purchased a second humidor (small Savoy) and am currently seasoning it with two 84% Boveda packs. I have never used the Boveda packs before. They have been in the new humi for two days and the hygrometer has not moved past 60. Normal? I plan on leaving the 84% packs in for two weeks and then switching to 72%. Thx!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:44 PM 07-24-2016
Sounds about right, is it the seasoning kit or whatever they sell?

Welcome to the Asylum!
[Reply]
luther 10:52 PM 07-24-2016
There wasn't a start up kit. The guy at the shop just said to leave the 84% in for two weeks and then switch. I assume the humidity will eventually creep up?
[Reply]
pnoon 11:24 PM 07-24-2016
Is your hygrometer analog or digital? If it's analog, trash it and get yourself a digital.
Then calibrate it using the salt test.
[Reply]
luther 11:31 PM 07-24-2016
It is analog and built into the humidor. I have a digital in my other humi. Will probably get another digital. Do you know if I can take the built in analog out and replace it with a digital or am I better off leaving it and simply putting the digital one inside the humidor? Thx folks-appreciate the feedback.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:34 AM 07-25-2016
Originally Posted by luther:
It is analog and built into the humidor. I have a digital in my other humi. Will probably get another digital. Do you know if I can take the built in analog out and replace it with a digital or am I better off leaving it and simply putting the digital one inside the humidor? Thx folks-appreciate the feedback.
Leave the analog alone. Just get yourself another digital.

And make sure you calibrate them.
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 12:47 AM 08-04-2016
Well I got my 7L Klip-It and cedar trays from Amazon yesterday to make my first tupperdor.

Should I season the trays today or do I (or should I) wait until I get my 65% Bovedas that I will be using from now on as well as the hygrometer that I ordered from Canada Humidor? My package with the 65% Bovedas and hygrometer from Canada Humidor should be here on Monday....

See to season the trays I was gonna spray them with a spray bottle of DW just enough for the wood to darken (I think) then you let them dry and then you spritz them again don't you???

That's how you easily season the trays am I right??
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:03 AM 08-04-2016
You should season the trays -- treat them like you would treat a wooden humidor. Season the trays inside your Tupperware container using a damp sponge (distilled water). There are a number of threads here that can provide more details on seasoning, but the key point is not to rush it -- give the trays a week or two to properly season.
[Reply]
Zane 07:01 AM 08-04-2016
CigarNut Nailed it. If you don't season them they will absorb all the humidity they can the moment you introduce them to the enviroment.
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 04:30 PM 08-07-2016
When spritzing the trays and wiping them down I assume I spritz and wipe down absolutely all of it right?

The sides, all of the outside, every part of the inside inside, even the bottom of the tray right??
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:40 PM 08-07-2016
I've never sprayed water directly on shelves, I've only seasoned them like a small humidor with distilled water. I put them in an airtight area with a shot glass (or more) of distilled water. I'll let someone more knowledgable answer, but for me personally I was always worried about too much water being absorbed and the wood warping or swelling too much to where there isn't a good fit.

Again, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will post :-)
[Reply]
Brlesq 07:19 PM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I've never sprayed water directly on shelves, I've only seasoned them like a small humidor with distilled water. I put them in an airtight area with a shot glass (or more) of distilled water. I'll let someone more knowledgable answer, but for me personally I was always worried about too much water being absorbed and the wood warping or swelling too much to where there isn't a good fit.

Again, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will post :-)
I've seasoned about 2 dozen desktops and a couple of cabinets by wetting a papertowel with distilled water and rubbing them down, then using the shot glass method. It has never caused a problems for me, and you can tell they are much cleaner by the amount of red micro sawdust that is collected on the wet papertowel. (Spanish cedar sawdust has a reddish hue to it.)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:22 PM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by Brlesq:
I've seasoned about 2 dozen desktops and a couple of cabinets by wetting a papertowel with distilled water and rubbing them down, then using the shot glass method. It has never caused a problems for me, and you can tell they are much cleaner by the amount of red micro sawdust that is collected on the wet papertowel. (Spanish cedar sawdust has a reddish hue to it.)
See i knew someone that knew better would post, thanks for the input :-)
[Reply]
Page 131 of 138
« First < 3181121129130131 132133 > Last »
Up