Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 13 of 20
« First < 3111213 1415 > Last »
Sports>College Hoops Thread '10-'11
The Poet 02:52 PM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by SD Beerman:
They could have easily blown them out they pretty much led most of the game. They have been missing their starting #2 guard and their sixth man for the last 3 games. Bright spot was that their supposed weakness is the foul line and they hit 8 in a row at the end of the game. Everyone is getting ready for the 26th against BYU. thanks for keeping up.:-)
Well, thanks for posting. And I wasn't trying to diss the Aztecs. It's not easy to win on the road. Hey, my Heels only edged Clemson by a deuce (though it would have been more had they hit FTs like your boys did down the stretch), and Duke beat a pretty crappy Miami squad by only ten. Sometimes escaping with the W is the best you can hope for.

Oh, and sometimes it's not even easy at home. Just ask Joe about his Racer's game! :-)

Originally Posted by jcruse64:
St. John's play has me rooting for them to get an at-large. I like Lavin, and was disappointed he did not get more time at UCLA. That was also where Pitino lost me as a fan (like he needs me). I thought he was pretty classless in the way he expressed interest in Glavin's job while Glavin was still working it.
I suspect Lavin was a bit tarred with Harrick's brush, and was on short leash at UCLA. Then, with a handful of Sweet Sixteens, and one Elite Eight, followed by a 10-19 campaign, and that was all she wrote. This might not be fair, but it is the UCLA Bruins we're talking about here. Hey, for a similar situation, ask Matt Doherty what that's like. :-)

As for Ricky P, I've never been much of a fan. He always struck me as a greaseball version of another guy I'm supposed to like, but really have some trouble doing so . . . Larry Brown. They both seem to be auditioning for their NEXT job. :-)

Update soon.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:25 PM 02-15-2011
Well, of the two games I selected from last night's meagre action, we had one shocker and one mocker:

Kansas State 84 - Kansas 68 = OK, so THAT # 1 ranking didn't last too long now, did it! This is one I still cannot believe. Although I have said once or twice that I've not been all that impressed with the play of the Jayhawks, I have been more "impressed" by what seemed the total and complete collapse of the prairie 'Cats. Hey, had they even managed to eek out a home win against KU on a buzzer-beater, I would have been surprised. Keep in mind, in the last 27 times the Jayhawks had visited Manhattan, they had won 26 times. But thanks in large part to a monster game by Jacob Pullen, K-State wasn't pullin' this one out their butts late, and owned it from start to finish. A huge win for a team that's had one of the most disappointing seasons in the nation. And I don't wanna hear no whinin' about KU missing some players to injuries either. Almost everybody has to play through missing pieces during the course of the season, and that's what the bench is for. Besides, we had enough whinin' last night from upstate NY . . .

Syracuse 63 - West Virginia 52 = The Orange needed a quality conference win badly, and got one against a good WVA team. The Orange did NOT need Jim Boeheim jumping into the $#!+ of the local media after the win, blasting them for criticism of SU's recent 2-6 skid. How DARE they disrespect him by finding fault with stuff like losing by 22 points to Seton Hall, in the Dome! Shut up, Jimbo. You don't like bad press? Then win all your stinkin' games. Just my :-) , worth every penny, and now I'll do what Boeheim didn't . . . button it.

There are 4 times more important games tonight than last night, and despite the size of the conference none bigger than:

George Mason vs. VCU = It's starting to get late early around the Colonial Athletic, and with these two vying for the lead, at 13-2 and 12-3 respectively, they both want a win tonight. Figure on a fight to the finish.

Kentucky vs. Mississippi State = Although they've been spotty at times, UK has the better team and the home court. They should rebound from their loss to Vandy, and move back over .500 in the SEC East.

Missouri vs. Texas Tech = I see this as pretty much the same story in the Big 12 here, though the Red Raiders did give Texas A&M all they could handle in their previous game, losing by only three. The Tigers may not like a similar outcome tonight, but they'll take it.

Villanova vs. Seton Hall = It is in Newark, and 'Nova has dropped 5 of their last 8. So has the Hall, and they have several big wins so far this year. Still, you gotta go with the Wildcats to best the Pirates, even if only by 2 or 3 possessions.

Maryland vs. Virginia Tech = The Terps are starting to slip off the bubble for a bid come March, and if you think Jim Boeheim can whine, wait until Gary Williams misses another at-large! They need some wins, and quick. The Hokies seem fairly safe at this point, and yet will not wish to co-operate with the plans of the Turtles, especially in Blacksburg. UM can certainly win, but I'd go with VT myself.

North Carolina vs. Wake Forest = There is no reason in the world why the Tar Heels should lose this game. They have superior players, more experienced coaching, and home court. But that does not mean it cannot happen, nor that it will not happen. Still, you have to favor UNC, and personally, if they do not chase the Deacons back down I-40/85, I shall be disappointed. Not as much as if the Heels do manage to blow it, but still.

Ohio State vs. Michigan State = The Buckeyes just lost their first game all year. The Spartans just won their first game all month, after not winning all that many in January either. No matter how badly Tom Izzo wants this one, and no matter how badly MSU needs a quality victory to help them towards an at-large in March, I cannot see that happening. Buckeyes, by a dozen.

St. John's vs. Marquette = This is one of those 3 tough games I mentioned on the Johnnies remaining schedule, and in Milwaukee to boot. At this point, it's hard to pick against them . . . but I will. I still think the Red Storm will earn a bid, but I don't think they will get closer to it tonight. The Golden Eagles, in a tight one.

That's it for now. Enjoy, and Screw Drew.
[Reply]
rebelknight 05:16 PM 02-15-2011
With Kansas losing last night do you think Ohio State reclaims number 1 (assuming a win tonight and Sunday at Purdue)? Or is it more likely Texas or Pitt will take over?

I'm a little biased being a student at Ohio State but I say Ohio States one loss is still better than Pitt's 2 or Texas' 3. Quality wins against MSU and Purdue should be enough to get the top spot back in my opinion.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:27 PM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by rebelknight:
With Kansas losing last night do you think Ohio State reclaims number 1 (assuming a win tonight and Sunday at Purdue)? Or is it more likely Texas or Pitt will take over?

I'm a little biased being a student at Ohio State but I say Ohio States one loss is still better than Pitt's 2 or Texas' 3. Quality wins against MSU and Purdue should be enough to get the top spot back in my opinion.

That's a tough call, even if you assume your Buckeyes can beat Purdue on the road this Sunday . . . which is far from a guarantee. It's not only tough because one could see five teams splitting first-place votes, if you toss Duke into that mix, but also because the voters seem to latch onto certain teams, and certain leagues, and are lothe to abandon their favorites at times. And you must admit, OSU didn't help themselves much last night, what with their relatively close victory over the 14-11 Spartans, in Columbus too. More on that to follow.

But all in all, who really cares? It's just bragging rights, and as long as they stay within reach of a 1 or 2-seed in the tourney, that's all that truly matters.

Update soon.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:38 PM 02-16-2011
OK, since we've already mentioned it, let's start with that OSU/MSU game:

Ohio State 71 - Michigan State 61 = To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what to make of this. Is it a good bounce-back win for the Buckeyes after their first loss of the year, or is it a good loss for a Spartan team that hasn't shown us much for a while? Are all those close wins OSU got earlier an indication they are NOT as good as people think, or has Izzo managed to turn his boys around? One thing for sure, this game was not so much settled on the court, but at the stripe . . . and maybe even BY the stripes, if you can believe Izzo over Matta. The Buckeyes went 23-29 from the line. The Spartans? 5 of 6. Do you really expect me to believe that, in a Big Ten game, only a few shooting fouls occurred? Please.

St. John's 80 - Marquette 68 = Yeah, I know, I picked Marquette to win this one. Maybe you think I should have noticed how the Red Storm has gotten hot. Maybe you think I haven't given Lavin enough credit for showing his veteran players that they need not lose once they fall behind. But can you blame me? They broke a streak of 11 straight losses to this team last night, and if I recall correctly haven't beaten them since 1966! So, call me dumb, but don't call me clueless.

Kentucky 85 - Mississippi State 79 = This is probably closer than it should have been, but considering the struggles UK's had at times, I believe they'll take it. Speaking of taking it . . .

North Carolina 78 - Wake Forest 64 = Yeah, I'll take it, but I am not happy. The Heels played without focus and intensity, and just sort of puttered to a fairly easy win . . over a team they should have beaten like a rented mule. If the coach says his team played poorly, you might take it with a grain of salt. If the players say as much about themselves, you know it's a fact. This ain't gonna cut it, what with BC, Terps, and some other local team visiting the Dean Dome soon. Roy, I have one word for you . . . "Suicides!!"

Villanova 60 - Seton Hall 57 = Well, at least the Philly 'Cats have the excuse that they were on the road. That ain't much of one, and if anybody except me was paying attention, the Big Mouth Conference would NOT have 7 of the Top Twenty ranked teams in the nation.

Missouri 92 - Texas Tech 84 = And here's another one that's hard to understand. OK, I don't think Missouri is that great a team, but TT has been PP all year. Well, maybe all these are just due to late-season doldrums. Again, speaking of which . . .

Virginia Tech 91 - Maryland 83 = I figured the Hokies would win, so no surprise they did just that. But the Terps need two or three more quality Ws to have any shot at a NCAA bid, and they are running short of chances. OK, they can beat remaining teams NCSU, Miami, UVA . . . CAN, if they but DO . . . but if they don't, what chance do they have against FSU and UNC?

George Mason 71 - VCU 51 = I'm a little surprised here that GM won so easily. But what with VCU helping them out so much by only scoring 19 in the first half, I guess it's to be expected.

Wichita State 80 -Evansville 74 // Missouri State 60 - Drake 51 = I luimp these two together because they are most definitely lumped together. With both teams winning, they are tied at 13-3 each atop the Missouri Valley. Both have one "winnable" conference game left on the schedule, before they end the season in a face-off for the marbles. Talk about your fun!

Tonight there are too many games, so let me briefly hit the highlights:

Wisconsin vs. Purdue = Though without some major help neither will catch OSU for the Big Ten, they both still have an outside shot. Can the Badgers build on their huge win? Can the 'Makers make it to their Buckeye game without another loss? I figure this will be close, start to finish.

Vanderbilt vs. Georgia = Vandy's been more consistent than the 'Dawgs, but that hasn't meant much in the SEC this year. It's in Athens, but the home court hasn't meant much more either. Flip a coin.

Rider vs. Loyola MD = Who cares, you ask? Well, MAAC-leading Fairfield faces garbage Marist tonight, so figure they will win. Meanwhile, these two are tied for 2nd in conference play. So there's your answer . . . they care.

Xavier vs. St. Joseph's = As much as it pains me to say so, St. Joe's reeks this year. The X-Men had some early struggles, yet lead the A-10 over Temple . . . by a whole 1/2-game. They cannot afford to lose focus, and let the Hawks swoop down on them.

Duke vs. Virginia = In Charlottesville, if that matters. Although the Cavs have some guards who can hit from deep, I don't expect they'll give Dook much of a challenge. Still, the Blue Devils are not an overpowering physical team, and if UVA gets hot from outside, you never know.

South Carolina vs. Tennessee = On the one hand, the 'Cocks have lost three in a row. On the other, the Vols . . . have lost three in a row. I expect one of those streaks to end in Knoxville tonight.

UAB vs. Memphis = The CUSA race looks like a NASCAR sprint restart at the moment, and it's anybody's game. So's this game.

Pitt vs. South Florida = The Panthers, big, and that's no Bull.

Louisville vs. Cincinnati = But this Big East one could go either way. The Cardinals have a better conference record, but you may recall all those they pulled out of their @$$ in the final seconds. Despite some stumbles by the Bearcats, they can play some ball when they try. I think it will be close, so pick 'em.

Georgetown vs. U. Conn = Lately it's been all about the Hoyas, and not so much about the Huskies. Me, I'm not so sure either one of them is nearly as good as their ranking might indicate . . . though don't ask me who I'd put in their place, as I have no clue there either. Since I have more respect for G'town than for Calhoun's pre-prison majors, I'll go with them, by two possessions.

Murray State vs. SE Missouri State = Joe's Racers have the OVC lead, and now all they have to do is hold onto it. If they don't do that against a crappy SEMS tonight, they have no one but themselves to blame.

Texas A&M vs. Iowa State = And here's another mis-match in a different conference. The Aggies won't win the Big 12, but if they lose to the cellar-dweller Cyclones . . . well, I'll be blown away. And not in a good way, mind.

Michigan vs. Illinois = And neither of these will win the Big Ten. But will both of them earn a bid come March? It's not etched in stone yet, what with their 16-10 and 16-9 records, and may well depend on what they do in these last few weeks. Tonight would be a good time for them to start. Pick 'em.

Texas vs. Oklahoma State = I think there's a pretty good chance the Longhorns will get a bid, and would even be willing to bet you on that. And though the Cowboys have a few good wins on their resume (Stanford, K-State, Missouri), I don't give them much of a shot in Austin tonight. But if they bulldog the 'Horns, it would go a loooong way of getting them off any potential bubble. Don't expect a miracle, but keep half-an-eye on this.

Utah State vs. . . . Montana-Western???? = Are you freakin' kidding me? Montana-Western?? And on the Aggies home court to boot, for cryin' out loud? This team is supposed to be good, based on the fact that they have beaten people some high-school teams could take? They can take their # 25 AP ranking, couple it with their RPI Strength Of Schedule rating of 144, and kiss my hairy white @$$. Sheesh, stuff like this just p!$$es me off, no end.

San Diego State vs. New Mexico = The Lobos have a few good wins, such as Colorado and BYU, so if the Aztecs don't stay focused and walk into their own building with the intention to win, they could easily lose, and lose their lead in the Mountain West. Much like that UT/Oak State game above, keep an eye on the scoreboard here.

That's it for tonight. Enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
rebelknight 04:57 PM 02-16-2011
Ok. I agree that the votes for #1 will be split up to 5 ways but I was at the game last night and as a team Ohio State didn't play bad. ESPN would like people to believe otherwise because they keep posting his stats but the only player who stuck out to me as playing truly worse than usual was Sullinger. He looked soft. Every time he got touched he was calling for a foul and he was not moving up and down the court efficiently enough to be a defensive threat. That combined with his complaining about being spit on has taken him down a page in my book. I still like the kid and think hes the best thing we have on the team but the truth is without Buford, Wisconsin would have beat us by a lot more than 4 and MSU probably would have stole one on the road. Buford has now played 2 back to back great games. My only other complaint was Jon Diebler who didn't contribute anything on either side of the ball in the first half. However in the second half he really came out ready to play. Either way I'm glad we still have a few more weeks to correct things before the games really start to matter. And as always go BUCKS.

On an other note, I'm from Rochester, NY and my girlfriend goes to Syracuse so I really hope they get things going over there. Long time Boheim fan and it sucks seeing one of his teams struggle this much.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:10 PM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by rebelknight:
Ok. I agree that the votes for #1 will be split up to 5 ways but I was at the game last night and as a team Ohio State didn't play bad. ESPN would like people to believe otherwise because they keep posting his stats but the only player who stuck out to me as playing truly worse than usual was Sullinger. He looked soft. Every time he got touched he was calling for a foul and he was not moving up and down the court efficiently enough to be a defensive threat. That combined with his complaining about being spit on has taken him down a page in my book. I still like the kid and think hes the best thing we have on the team but the truth is without Buford, Wisconsin would have beat us by a lot more than 4 and MSU probably would have stole one on the road. Buford has now played 2 back to back great games. My only other complaint was Jon Diebler who didn't contribute anything on either side of the ball in the first half. However in the second half he really came out ready to play. Either way I'm glad we still have a few more weeks to correct things before the games really start to matter. And as always go BUCKS.

On an other note, I'm from Rochester, NY and my girlfriend goes to Syracuse so I really hope they get things going over there. Long time Boheim fan and it sucks seeing one of his teams struggle this much.

I did not see the game, so cannot comment on the specifics. But I tend to give freshmen some slack, and although at this point in the season there are no "real" freshmen, Sullinger should be expected to disappear from time to time. As for that whole "spitting" incident, I saw the story yet decided not to comment, since we always seem to get a few "non-stories" like that every year. If it happened as reported by Sully, then it was at least bad Badger form. However, there are idiots everywhere, so it's best to make your point then let it go.

And as for Syracuse, they pull this stuff almost every year. Me, I've gotten to the point where I don't so much consider it "struggling" as I think it's just Orange basketball as usual. They'll have a good season, make the NCAAs, and go bye-bye in the second round.

Update to follow.
[Reply]
SD Beerman 03:04 PM 02-17-2011
I agree that you just want to stay up high in the rankings to get the good seed. OSU will probably get back to one, but you never know with Duke, the media favorite.....
[Reply]
The Poet 03:49 PM 02-17-2011
A number of games went in unexpected directions last night, but many had the same net result, and that being to further confuse their conference races:

U. Conn 78 - Georgetown 70 = Though is seems as if Notre Dame is the only team willing to challenge Pitt for the regular season, the fight for 3rd place goes 6 or 8 deep. That includes these two, as well as . . .

Cincinnati 63 - Louieville 54 = The Bearcats looked dead in this hunt after losing 3 of 4, but this one keeps them at least mathematically in the hunt. NOT in that hunt are . . .

Pitt 67 - South Florida 55 = The Panthers would have to totally crumble to drop into that pack, and the Bulls would have to kidnap the commish to even get a sniff. Still, I don't much like this. For a team with aspirations for a # 1 ranking to beat a crappy team like this by just a dozen, on their home court no less, ain't much of a statement.

Duke 56 - Virginia 41 = Nor is this, though there is the slim excuse that the Blue Devils were on the road. Still, for them not to break 60, and for Singler to end up with 2 points, 4 fouls, and 5 turnovers . . . yeah, there's a first-team All-American for you.

Vanderbilt 64 - Georgia 56 = Hey, Vandy's won 4 in a row now, and with a little help could even catch the Gators for the SEC East. What with UK and the Vols in that mix, who'd a thunk?

Illinois 54 - Michigan 52 = A close one, and I suppose a decent win for the Illini, though what it means in the larger picture I cannot say. Illinois "improves" to 17-9, and if the can run the table (fat chance of that!) they will not join the other 6 Big Ten teams who already "boast" double-digits in the loss column.

Purdue 70 - Wisconsin 62 = The Badgers follow up their huge win against the Buckeyes by spitting the bit against the Boilermakers. Now they can get ready for their Sunday go-to-meeting with OSU.

San Diego State 68 - New Mexico 62 = Hey, I told you the Lobos would give the Aztecs game! A bucket here, a steal there, and this would have gone the other way.

Southern Mississippi 64 - UTEP 51 // Memphis 62 - UAB 58 = Like those that follow, I lump these for good reason. There are 6 teams still looking for the CUSA crown, including all 4 of these. And neither game did much to resolve the issue either. And the same goes for . . .

Wisconsin Milwaukee 79 - Valparaiso 76 // Cleveland State 74 - Wright State 72 = In the Horizon, there are 4 teams with conference records between 12-4 and 11-5. You think the next two weeks will just be playing out the string? Well then, consider . . .

Morehead State 76 - Eastern Kentucky 68 (OT) // SE Missouri State 64 - Murray State 57 = Joe's Racers did not do what they needed, and the Eagles did, albeit it took them extra innings. This ties the two MSUs atop the OVC at 12-4, with two others still on their necks with 11 league wins. It truly ain't over 'til it's over, brothers.

In tonight's action we have:

Minnesota vs. Penn State = We haven't heard much from either of these two lately, as both come in with 6-7 Big Ten records. Neither is totally safe with an at-large yet, though the Gophers might be close, so tonight would be a great time for somebody to step up and make a statement.

Clemson vs. N. C. State = The Tigers have likely secured an at-large, but the Wolfpack would need to win the ACC Tourney to steal one. That won't happen. Still, a big win in Raleigh would give the fans something to cheer for. But will it save Sidney Lowe's job? Ehhhhhh, I dunno.

Temple vs Richmond = The Owls have a good team. The Spiders have a good team. Both are at 9-2, a game back of Xavier, in the A-10. Me, I'd give both an at-large anyway, regardless, but they can't afford to think that way. Here we have us a war.

Belmont vs. East Tennessee State = You can just about give Belmont the Atlantic Sun now. If they beat their nearest competition in the Buccaneers tonight, you can damn well give it to them. As they would have earned it, completely, good for them.

Santa Clara vs. Gonzaga = Yeah, OK, I guess there's a shot that one of these might be able to steal the WCC from St. Mary's, though they're gonna need some help along the way. Still, if one of them has hopes of snaring a bid, the'd best show up for this one.

And tonight might be "Moving Day" in the Pac-10, since we have these:

Arizona vs. Washington State // Washington vs. Arizona State // UCLA vs. Stanford = With the possible exception of the Huskies/Sun Devils game, these could go either way . . . and I'm not so sure that Herb Sendek can't pull some magic mushrooms out of his desert demons down in Tempe either. With those Huskies at 9-4 in conference play, the UCLA Bruins at 9-3, and 'Zona all the way up at 10-2 . . . well, I think you see my point.

That's it for me tonight. Enjoy, and Screw Drew.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:03 PM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by SD Beerman:
I agree that you just want to stay up high in the rankings to get the good seed. OSU will probably get back to one, but you never know with Duke, the media favorite.....
Well, I'd have no problem if the Buckeyes get that #1 back, for what it's worth, but remember this: In last week's voting, Kansas took the top spot with 22 1st-place votes, OSU took 2nd with 14, and Texas took 3rd . . . with 23 1st place votes!! (Pitt was the pits, with 6, and Dook got dookie).

So somebody out there somewhere REALLY hates the Longhorns, and there's little evidence that they're kissing K's keister.
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:12 PM 02-17-2011
Can't begin to guess who will get #1 on Monday. If I were a Longhorn fan, I'd be praying NOT to get ti though, given their history of getting a high ranking and then failing soon afterward, the last few seasons.

:-):-) Let's go Racers??????? SEMO????? Really?????? The Morehead game at home just got a LOT more interesting.

Really surprised the Cats pulled off the home win. Really HATED the new overhead camera!!!!!

Go Vols! Hope you take the East!

Go St. John's; I'm rooting for a high Dance seed for you.

Screw you, Dook! :-):-):-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 12:50 PM 02-18-2011
Went to the Temple/Richmond game last nite.....man my Owls looked good!....20 point win against a good Richmond team....:-)
[Reply]
The Poet 02:23 PM 02-18-2011
Can't begin to guess who will get #1 on Monday. If I were a Longhorn fan, I'd be praying NOT to get ti though, given their history of getting a high ranking and then failing soon afterward, the last few seasons.

Let's go Racers??????? SEMO????? Really?????? The Morehead game at home just got a LOT more interesting.

Really surprised the Cats pulled off the home win. Really HATED the new overhead camera!!!!!

Go Vols! Hope you take the East!

Go St. John's; I'm rooting for a high Dance seed for you.

Screw you, Dook! :-)
I hear what you say about the 'Horns. Seems like they can't take the pressure when there's a target on their backs.

That Murray/Morehead game may be even bigger, on a smaller scale, than the UNC/Dook one that could decide (maybe anyway) a share of the ACC.

I'm rarely surprised when the 'Cats win in Rupp. It's not an easy place to visit. As for that "rafter cam" crap, I'm with you . . . and apparently a lot of other detractors.

I'll take a look at the Vols' and Gators' rermaining schedule before I comment on their chance to take the SEC East. But personally, I would not mind Vandy getting it.

The Johnnies might get the double-bye come March, if they continue to win. But I imagine Lavin and his team . . . and the long-suffering Red Storm fans . . . will be happy with any sort of bid at all.

Finally, I'm one of those Tar Heels who only hates Duke between tip-off and the horn. Hey, had you (like I did) sat in the stands in the old Carmichael Auditorium, and had Dean Smith turn around and glare at you if you showed disrespect for the other team, you too would realize why. :-)

Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Went to the Temple/Richmond game last nite.....man my Owls looked good!....20 point win against a good Richmond team....:-)
Yes, a good win for the Owls, over a truly tough nest of Spiders. I can see both teams winning a game, or even two, come March.

Update soon.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:24 PM 02-18-2011
As previously mentioned, Temple got a big conference win over Richmond last night, 73-53. Although the outcome does not surprise me, the margin of victory does a bit, since I expected a closer game out of the Spiders. This win moves the Owls to within 1/2 game of Xavier atop the A-10. As these teams will not face each other again, and as both have relatively easy remaining competition (only 1 team each left with a decent shot at an upset), this one could go down to their head-to-head tie-breaker a month back . . . which the X-Men won by 11.

In other action last night, there were a few shocks, including:

DePaul 79 - Providence 76 = The Blue Demons suddenly leap into contention for the Big East crown by improving their conference mark to 1-12. And in Rhode Island, to boot. It's been nearly 3 years since DePaul has won a Big East road game! Well, good for them. :-) :-)

N. C. State 69 - Clemson 61 = And here's another surprise, at least of sorts. Don't get me wrong . . . the Wolfpack has some talent. But they haven't played as if they do of late, and lost 7 or 8 before putting together this 2-game winning streak. OK, so you can toss out the one over Wake Forest, but beating Clemson? A great win for NCSU. But will it save Lowe's job? Stay tuned.

Penn State 66 - Minnesota 63 = As for this one, I'm not sure either outcome would be worth remarking. Both teams have gotten good wins, both have suffered bad losses, and both are mid-pack Big Ten teams. Somebody had to win, and somebody needed to lose. Since I'm still not sure how the Nittany Lions are managing to compete, I will give them credit however.

Belmont 68 - East Tennessee State 58 = It's all over but the shouting in the Atlantic Sun, and it's the Bruins basking in the Nashville springtime. Yeah, the math tells you ETSU could run the table, and Belmont fold up against the crappy teams it still must face, which would lock them into a tie . . . which would go to Belmont with the tie-breaker. Hey, NOBODY is officially in The Dance so far, but if Belmont does not make it, there is no justice.

And as for "Moving Day" in the Pac-10 . . . nobody did so.

Arizona 79 - Washington State 70 // UCLA 69 - Stanford 65 // Washington 79 - Arizona State 62 = So things remain same as they ever was, same as they ever was, save with one fewer shot at changing all that. It's still anybody's league to win between these three victors, and they will fight it out amongst themselves, soon. This could be a lot of fun.

You might already expect that there's not much of note this evening . . . and you'd be wrong: :-)

U. Conn vs. Louisville = Don't ask me how this ended up a Friday game, but who's complaining? It ought to be a good one out in the Cru - ummmmmm, the KFC Yumi, what with both teams ranked, both teams at 8-5 in conference play, and both team in need of a few more good wins to earn the highest possible at-large bid. Plus, there's the perception that Calhoun and Pitino are not exactly the closest of friends. If this one's not spicy and extra crunchy, demand your money back.

VCU vs. Wichita State = And don't ask me how such a great non-conference matchup like this made it into the 2nd half of February. Here's two very good NCAA-caliber teams, both in line for an at-large at the least, yet both wanting that little bit of extra insurance. Whoever wins this one will get just that. Don't pick 'em, don't flip a coin . . . just sit back, and enjoy.

Princeton vs. Yale // Harvard vs. Cornell = Although it is STILL too early to know for sure, all indications are that the Tigers and the Crimson may be the ones to beat in the Ivy. Remember, there is no conference tourney there, so the team that takes the season takes the bid . . . and there won't be but the one. However, though they may be better than most of the rest of the league, they are not dominant, and either (or both) could stumble on any given night. With very little margin for error, every game is vital. Both teams need to focus each and every night, and you can bet your bottom dollar they are both smart enough to know that. You may not really give a dinky-damn about the Ivy, but then that's your loss. THIS, this is what college sports is SUPPOSED to be about.

I'll likely be back a little later with early Saturday tip-offs. 'Til then, then.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:22 PM 02-18-2011
Early games tomorrow afternoon include:

Villanova vs. DePaul = Can the Blue Demons get hot, and give their hometown crowd a second conference win to cheer about? Me, I can't see it happening. It's not that I don't realize that 'Nova's had its problems from time to time, but rather that I think DePaul's been ALL problems for the most part all year long. They got their one win in the Big East to get off the snide, and that's likely their fun ride for the season.

Pitt vs. St. John's = The Johnnies have, on the other hand, gotten genuinely hot. Can they do to Pitt what they did to Duke in the Garden? Yeah, maybe. I'm still not totally convinced they are yet for real, but the Panthers haven't exactly been crushing people either. Me, I figure Pitt by three possessions. But hey, you never know.

Duquesne vs. Dayton = We talked above about Xavier and Temple in the A-10, but the Dukes still have a shot at it too. They cannot afford to stumble against the Flyers however, and as I expect that they know this, I'd also expect them to come out focused and intense. Dukes, by at least half-a-dozen.

Notre Dame vs. West Virginia = The Irish have already achieved more than most thought they would this season. The Mountaineers started off being better than was expected, but have tripped up a bit of late. It would not shock me if they gave ND a tough time in Morgantown, nor even if they get the win. But I'm sticking to Baby Brother Ben and the Irish for now.

Georgia vs. Tennessee = This has the potential to be a really good game in Knoxville. Both teams have played good ball from time to time, and both are tied with Kentucky at 6-5 for 3rd in the SEC East. Neither wants to drop to .500, and even possibly drop out of consideration for an at-large. Dawgs, or Vols? Pick your poison.

Virginia Tech vs. Virginia = Were we to talk Merit scholars here, or even Rhodes, this would be no contest. And it is in Charlottesville, where the Cavs did edge out Clemson by a deuce, so there's always a shot. But that's about all there is, one shot. The Hokies, by 8 or 10.

Florida State vs. Wake Forest = And this is in Greensboro . . . as if that makes any difference. And true, the Seminoles did lose their junior forward Chris Singleton to a broken foot . . . the one player they likely could least afford to lose. And also true I'd like for the Deacs to help out my Heels and steal a win here, to ease the pressure from below for 2nd in the ACC. But I don't see it happening. FSU here, by near or far, depending on how they react to the missing piece.

Austin Peay vs. Fairfield = Here is another nice non-conference game, with top teams from the OVC and the MAAC facing off. For those who like such things, like me, this one looks like fun.

That will be it for now. Enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
jcruse64 07:07 PM 02-18-2011
Wow! You called it on the VCU/Wichita State game. Literally down to the wire, and WS nearly sank the buzzer beater.

Here we go with the Cards/UConn game....
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 07:38 AM 02-19-2011
Since I am home in NY for a week I got tickets to see Syracuse play Rutgers this afternoon in the Dome! Can't wait.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:29 AM 02-19-2011
Wow! You called it on the VCU/Wichita State game. Literally down to the wire, and WS nearly sank the buzzer beater.

Here we go with the Cards/UConn game....
Well, even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then:

VCU 68 - Wichita State 67 = And not only did that despairation 3 rim out at the horn, VCU had to hit 2 FTs with 0.8 ticks to take that lead.

And there goes Calhoun's Huskies, back to CT with tails between their legs:

Louisville 71 - U. Conn 58 = I am not a big Cardinal fan, though I do dislike Pitino less than I disliked Denny Crum. :-) But I really don't like Calhoun one damn bit. Not only do I think he cheats, I purely hate his "Get outta my face, you farkin' @$$hole!" attitude. So I love it when he gets spanked like this.

Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
Since I am home in NY for a week I got tickets to see Syracuse play Rutgers this afternoon in the Dome! Can't wait.

I hope you have a good time, and get to enjoy a good game . . . though I suspect you really don't want TOO good a game. :-) Me, I would not think the Scarlet Knight would give you one, so no worries . . . unless they are hitting their shots over the zone, and the Orange cannot score, again.

Back soon with weekend previews.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:41 PM 02-19-2011
Aside from the scores mentioned above, both Princeton and Harvard did what they needed to stay up in the Ivy. The Tigers remain 8-0 by taking Yale 58-51, while the Crimson stay just back at 8-1 with their 73-60 win over Cornell. Both are right back in action today, on short rest, facing Brown and Columbia resp't. I'd not expect Princeton to have much trouble with Brown, but the Harlem Lions could give Haa'vad some problem. They are not really all that good, but they do not totally suck. Other big games include:

Morehead State vs. Indiana State = OK, so this ain't all that big, as it is not a conference game, so won't help decide if Morehead or Joe's Racers take the OVC. And I'd tend to think it will go Morehead's way, though Bird's old team can hoop a bit. But I had to mention it to keep Joe happy, since . . .

Murray State vs. Evansville = Here's another non-OVC game, and if the Racers don't race away with it I will be shocked . . . and Joe will be p!$$ed.

Mississippi vs. Mississippi State = No way these two will take the SEC West, but it should be some fun anyway.

Missouri vs. Iowa State = And if the Tigers don't stomp all over I-State, they should be stomped on some themselves.

Texas vs. Nebraska = And if the Longhorns want even a shot at that # 1 ranking come Monday, they need to shuck the 'Huskers. They ought to, even though Nebraska itself is not half-bad. They are, however, just half-good, so if Texas doesn't take 'em by 20, Barnes needs to chase them around campus like unbranded heifers.

San Diego State vs. Air Force = The Aztecs should not have much trouble with the Falcons either, and ought to take control by the half.

Kansas vs. Colorado = This one has half-a-chance of being a decent game. The Jayhawks are better, but they are inconsistent. The Buffaloes have shown the ability to play a good game from time to time. This might be decided in the last five minutes.

Kentucky vs. South Carolina = You could say about the same thing here. I'd give the Wildcats a decided edge over the Gamecocks, but not by more than three or four possessions.

Kansas State vs. Oklahoma = Maybe these Wildcats have once more found their feet, if that game against KU was any indication. Then again, who knows? Me, I'd pick them over the Sooners anyway, though not by much.

North Carolina vs. Boston College = And I don't expect the Heels to pluck the Eagles by as much as they did up north earlier. In fact, if they play as poorly as they did in their lackluster win over Wake, they could just as easily lose. But if Roy got their attention, and got them to refocus, they should win by a handful or two.

Vanderbilt vs. Auburn = And the Commodores should beat the Tigers like a red-headed stepchild.

Syracuse vs. Rutgers = Like I said to the 'freak above, the Orange ought to take RU to the woodshed . . . IF the Knights have a cold afternoon from outside the zone, and IF the 'Cuse can actually hit a few themselves.

BYU vs. TCU = If this one lasts longer than a half, I'll be surprised.

Michigan vs. Iowa = I'm not exactly sure either of these two are truly any good, but they are neither all that terrible. This one could be fun, though if the young talent of the Wolverines have a good day, they may run away with it.

Missouri State vs. Valparaiso = Here's another pretty good non-conference matchup . . . maybe not as good as that VCU/Wichita one last night, but damn decent anyway.

Arizona vs. Washington = And here's a key game in the Pac-10 race. The desert 'Cats have a meaningless slim lead over these Huskies, with even less of one over UCLA. Since those Bruins are bright enough to realize both can't lose, I'd assume they'll pull for Washington. Me, I just want a good game, and I think this will be one. 'Zona, by a bucket.

Cincinnati vs. Providence = The Bearcats have slipped a bit of late, and are not the challenge they've been in past years. The Friars just gave DePaul their first conference win all season (so far :-) ), so will wish to rebound from that embarrassment. This could be some fun too.

George Mason vs. Northern Iowa = So could this one. NIU may not be nearly as good as they were last year, but they ain't half-bad either. GM's fairly well- matched with them. I figure it will be close, start to finish.

Arkansas vs. Alabama = The Tide want to grab onto the SEC West so nobody can steal it from them. The 'Hogs won't do so, yet would like to play the spoiler. I'm really not convinced either of these teams are all that good, speaking on a national level anyway, so I'm not sure how to go here. So, I'll leave that to the SEC fans to pick 'em as they sees 'em.

Georgetown vs. South Florida = If the Hoyas have any trouble at all from the Bulls, I will be shocked.

Xavier vs. Fordham = Again here too. This one's already over.

Memphis vs. Rice = Make that here three. The Tigers stay on top of the CUSA, for now anyway.

San Francisco vs. Gonzaga = Although the Dons are barely above .500 overall, they are tied with Gonzaga 8-3 in WCC play. Both are behind St. Mary's 10-2, and I don't believe either one will catch the Gaels. For sure, whoever loses this one won't. Here's your late-day fun. Speaking of the Gaels . . .

Utah State vs. St. Mary's = You may have gathered from previous posts that I'm dubious about the # 25 ranking of the Aggies, based upon their winning streak against two dozen cupcakes. Well, St. Mary's is not cupcake, despite the name. In fact, I'm gonna pick them to spank the Aggies, and take their cupcakes too.

Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma State = Here are two more teams I've yet to figure out. These Aggies have been more consistent, so I'd go with them. Still, I would not be surprised if the Coyboys give them a fight, for a half or so at least.

Seton Hall vs. Marquette = I almost left this game out, as it's getting to the point it does not matter, for either squad. But there are some good players on both teams, so it might be worth a look.

Illinois vs. Michigan State = Yet this one matters a lot for the Spartans. With their 14-11 record, and despite their "respectable" 6-7 Big Ten mark, they are in danger of missing the cut for an at-large bid. They follow this game @ Minnesota, then hosting Purdue, so they are looking at the potential of 3 straight losses, and a .500 record. They finish against Iowa and Michigan, both winnable, but both losable too, which would leave the conference tournament their final shot at getting a ticket to The Dance. A win over the Illini today won't resolve the issue either way, yet they really REALLY need to win a few more games. Here's a chance to, and they need to take advantage . . . or blame nobody but themselves.

Back shortly with some early scores (including a few surprises), and Sunday games.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:26 PM 02-19-2011
As promised, a few early finals:

Villanova 77 - DePaul 75 (OT) = The Blue Demons damn near follow up their first conference win in 20+ tries with their 2nd in a row, over a highly-regarded 'Nova team. They had it, they lost it, they got another shot, and they lost it again. A tough fight by them, and give them all the credit. As for the Wildcats, escaping with the win . . . well, I guess it beats escaping with the loss, but not by much.

St. John's 60 - Pitt 59 = And I'd imagine the Panthers would agree with that. It has gotten to the point when a win by the Red Storm is no surprise, yet this should be a bit of one. Another great victory for Lavin's boys, which will certainly earn them that bid they desire. And although Pitt still may remain the class of the Big Mouth, this knocks down their shot at the # 1 ranking on Monday, and could open up the door for Notre Dame for the league lead . . . if not for . . .

West Virginia 72 - Notre Dame 58 = Wow. OK, the other two might be shocks, major or minor, but at least the scores were close. This, this constitutes a whipping. Well, the Mountaineers needed a good win more, to keep their fading hopes for a bid alive.

Virginia 61 - Virginia Tech 54 = Wow again. Yeah, I mighta given the Cavs half-a-chance to win one at home, but I never really thought the Hokies would allow that. UVA has had damn few wins lately, losing 10 of 14 before today, and I hope they savor this one.

Georgia 69 - Tennessee 63 = And a good win on the road for the Bulldogs here, with another bad loss by the Vols. You know, they actually played better when Bruce Pearl was on suspension, and was not coaching them? Who'd a thunk.

Oh, and Florida State and Mississippi State spanked Wake and Ole Miss too, but at the moment I'm paying more attention to the Texas/Nebraska game, where the Shucks hold a double-digit lead with 2 to play. Oops, now it's 8, with a buck-and-a-half. This is getting to be fun!

Sunday games include:

Cleveland State vs. ODU = Another very good non-conference game. Me, I like ODU here.

Ohio State vs. Purdue = And if the Buckeyes want that # 1 back (don't ask me why, it just brings trouble, but that ain't my biznizz), they'd best not pull a Pitt, or what the 'Horns are trying hard to do. I'd call this a pick 'em, except for the fact that the 'Makers have not had a horrid shooting night lately, and they're due.

Florida vs. LSU = If the Gators don't chomp on the Tigers, I don't know what.

Clemson vs. Miami = And although these Tigers have slipped some in the previous few weeks, I can't see them having too many problems with the 'Canes.

Temple vs. St. Joseph's = In the past, this would be one of those games I'd wait for all year long. This year? Not so much. That does not mean the Hawks can't still show up and give the Owls trouble, but I certainly don't believe it.

N. C. State vs. Maryland = The Wolfpack is just playing out the string, which might be a good thing for their young talent, giving them a chance to relax and simply play. But the jocks must be getting a little tight in College Park, since many more losses means NIT for the Terps. The last time I remember that happening, Gary Williams whined and cried and baitched about his team getting too little respect, and not making the NCAAs not for lack of merit but for prejudice. Then they promptly went out and lost their first NIT game, on their own stinkin' court no less. Part of me would like to see that again, and part of me never wants to see such a pitiful display ever again. Bottom line, UM needs to win.

Duke vs. Georgia Tech = And it's beginning to look like Dook might get a few more votes than zip for the # 1 slot on Monday, if they can win this one. Me, I can't see the Wreck wrecking that.

Wisconsin vs. Penn State = But I can see the Nittany Lions wrecking the week a bit more for the Badgers, who came off their big win against OSU just to lose to Purdue. Yet, on second though, it is in Madison, where it's not easy to win. Ehhhhh, I'll go with the home boys here.

UCLA vs. California = The Bruins need to win to stay in touch for the Pac-10 lead. I see them taking this Bear-fight, as I think they have a few pounds on the boys from Berkeley.

Oh, and if you've been waiting for it:

Nebraska 70 - Texas 67 = See, Joe? How right we are! Even a sniff at a shot at a chance at a #1 rank, and the Longhorns stampede. What a load of bull.

See you next week, same time, same station. Enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 20
« First < 3111213 1415 > Last »
Up