General Discussion>(Official?) Pocket Knife Discussion Thread
Wolfgang 12:42 PM 04-14-2011
Way to go!

P.s. Scott, I'm pretty sharp.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 01:27 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
Very NICE!

I just picked up the new Spyderco Resilience and an Ontario Rat Model 1. I was looking for a larger blade without paying exorbitant prices. Pics posted later.
How do you like that Resilience, Mark? Is it the medium traction G10? What do you think of the 8cr13mov steel? Is it one that will be hard to sharpen and hold an edge, or not hold an edge but be easier to sharpen? Chipping? FFG= cool. I don't have any Spydercos, and might want to jump in the shallow end of their pool without going nuts. At 40-ish dollars, affordable, and worth it?
I have liked their designs for many years, just never taken the plunge.
[Reply]
icurrie 03:03 PM 04-14-2011
Got this as a gift for being in a buddy's wedding party. Beats the engraved beer mug any day!
Attached: SW3000.jpg (36.1 KB) 
[Reply]
icurrie 03:06 PM 04-14-2011
This one is always attached to my keys. Comes in very handy.
Attached: buckmetro.jpg (9.0 KB) 
[Reply]
Wolfgang 04:17 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
How do you like that Resilience, Mark? Is it the medium traction G10? What do you think of the 8cr13mov steel? Is it one that will be hard to sharpen and hold an edge, or not hold an edge but be easier to sharpen? Chipping? FFG= cool. I don't have any Spydercos, and might want to jump in the shallow end of their pool without going nuts. At 40-ish dollars, affordable, and worth it?
I have liked their designs for many years, just never taken the plunge.
Its great. It fits what i was looking to do with the boxes and what not. The 8cr13mov will rust on you if you dont keep it wiped wown with rem or 3in1 oil. Im in florida and it doesnt get much more humid and ive only had an issue with one of my 8cr13mov knives. Avoid saltwater like the plague. So far with the minor things ive used it for edge retention is decent. Its very easy to sharpen. and for ~$40 for a knife with a 4+ inch blade id say you cant beat it if your looking into spydies. The G10 i would say is light to medium if you get sweaty hands it will lock in better. comes out fast and locks up strong.

Ill tell you what, if you do buy it and you dont like it ill buy it from you.

How badass would I be dual wielding resiliences?! :-)
[Reply]
SteveH 02:42 PM 04-16-2011
Inspired by the last thread about cutting the cap off with a knife; I picked this up:

I have something else coming my way....hopefully be here next week:-)
[Reply]
fbillings14 02:52 PM 04-16-2011
A good friend of mine traded me this for a dive watch i had. it is only available threw the DOD, it is a special knife Strider makes for Army EOD guys and Army Divers.
[Reply]
SteveH 02:57 PM 04-16-2011
Interesting - I wonder how that differs from the civi version (Strider SMF) ?
[Reply]
Powers 03:03 PM 04-16-2011
I carry a Case "sod buster", model 2138 SS. Great knife that comes in handy nearly every day!

:-)
[Reply]
SteveH 03:13 PM 04-16-2011
Originally Posted by icurrie:
Got this as a gift for being in a buddy's wedding party. Beats the engraved beer mug any day!
Nice ! I've had one of these knives for just about 10 years now. Mine was modified by a local jeweler who made these into automatics for the team I was on. The switch is hidden in the upper grip (I believe this is pretty common now adays). The main reason why we chose these is that the knife also locks closed; so if someone grabbed it out of your belt you had sufficient time to step back and aim before they figured out how to open it :-)
Unfortunately the knife shows its scars and wear from the daily grind. However when it was made, the guy used some sort of graphite-impregnated derlin; so it still opens as fresh as it did 10 years ago. I tried to get a shot of the bushing...not clear but ya get the idea.
Here's some pics of the old war-horse:

[Reply]
fbillings14 03:16 PM 04-16-2011
When i contacted strider this is the message they sent back telling me about the knife

"The knife is a product Strider KNives Manufactures directly for Department of Defense clients.
It is manufactured from a very special alloy of Copper Beryllium.
This alloy is employed where NON-SPARKING requirements are at hand.
We have been making this product which is our design, for over 10 years now and the product received a National Stock Number several years ago.
It is still being ordered, made and shipped to units today."
[Reply]
SteveH 03:19 PM 04-16-2011
That's cool ! is it ceramic or some composite material ?
[Reply]
TripleF 03:34 PM 04-16-2011
Was just bombed this Kershaw Needs Work 1820 Ken Onion Speed assisted opening knife by Wolfgang, in exchange for doing a review on it on my blog: www.PocketKnivesBlog.com (I already did the review :-) )

[Reply]
Bill86 05:54 PM 04-16-2011
Originally Posted by fbillings14:
When i contacted strider this is the message they sent back telling me about the knife

"The knife is a product Strider KNives Manufactures directly for Department of Defense clients.
It is manufactured from a very special alloy of Copper Beryllium.
This alloy is employed where NON-SPARKING requirements are at hand.
We have been making this product which is our design, for over 10 years now and the product received a National Stock Number several years ago.
It is still being ordered, made and shipped to units today."
A very nice choice, you'll enjoy your Strider they are built like friggen tanks....maybe better. Hard to argue with the warranty as well. $15 bucks and whatever you did to it is good as new. If you are actually capable of putting a scratch on that bad motherf**ker.
[Reply]
SteveH 07:14 PM 04-16-2011
agreed - serious badass
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 06:43 AM 04-17-2011
Read this thread yesterday, snapped a few quick and dirty pics with my iPhone:

Master's of Defense Dieter CQD Spec Ops Trainer Auto- this was my main duty knife for years

Robbie Dalton Militia Recon - Learned the Robbie has recently retired, so this knife has been retired to the safe

Benchmade 9500 Auto - my EDC knive

My Microtechs - top to bottom - Vector-A auto, UT70 OTF, SOCOM Elite-A
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 06:47 AM 04-17-2011

My S&W autos - Spec Ops Tanto, SWAT 1st millennium run, Extreme Ops

Boker AK74 - black reverse tanto, desert tan half serrated

A couple of my non-autos - Breitling Wenger swiss army, White Spyderco dragonfly
[Reply]
SteveH 07:11 AM 04-17-2011
Black Boker AK :-):-)
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 09:31 AM 04-17-2011
Originally Posted by SteveH:
Black Boker AK :-):-)
Loved the blade on that when I ordered it, just couldn't resist...
[Reply]
Remo 09:42 AM 04-17-2011
Here are mine, a Benchmade auto folder in the pocket and a Cold Steel punch knife that stays attatched to my duty rig (in sheath).
Attached: DSCF0001 (600 x 400).jpg (40.1 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 13 of 62
« First < 3111213 141523 > Last »
Up