Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 13 of 17
« First < 3111213 1415 > Last »
General Discussion>Let's see those '11 gardens!
BC-Axeman 12:33 PM 07-05-2011
I'm getting zukes, squash, peas and bok choi now. The tomatoes will start bearing now that night temps have risen above 50. I have to find my camera and shoot some pics. The pumpkin plant is turning into a monster.
[Reply]
HK3- 12:47 PM 07-05-2011
All of my tomatoes are still green. I think any day now they will begin to turn red. Patiently waiting to make some fresh salsa. :-)
[Reply]
wayner123 12:48 PM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by HK3-:
All of my tomatoes are still green. I think any day now they will begin to turn red. Patiently waiting to make some fresh salsa. :-)
If they are the size you want, go ahead and let them ripen on the counter.
[Reply]
HK3- 12:52 PM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
If they are the size you want, go ahead and let them ripen on the counter.
Oh they are just the little things not anything big. The only plant that appears it may produce anything with size hasn't began to pop out any flowers just yet.
[Reply]
Noodles 07:42 AM 07-06-2011
A couple of tomatoes are changing colors. Any day now.
[Reply]
hotreds 06:30 PM 07-09-2011
Beans coming up!

[Reply]
Scothew 09:02 PM 07-09-2011
Geez that makes my little 20x20 garden look like nothing :-)

I did get some cucumbers and tomatoes today. Heat is killing my tomatoes so I picked them green so id have a chance to use them before they split.
Attached: IMG_0722.jpg (99.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:08 PM 07-09-2011
Spent the better part of a couple days creating new raised beds, then dismantling a couple I already had. Needed the space behind the garage for my sled trailer. Ended up with more actual planting space. :-)

Didn't plant anything other than garlic this year due to work travel. However, I have 4 tomato plants that reseeded themselves and doing ok. A couple have tomatoes on them already. One is actually growing in my compost heap. Guess which one is the biggest?
[Reply]
mariogolbee 04:23 PM 07-12-2011
Seeing all o this makes me green with envy. LOL! I just didn't have the time or money to get anything started this year. There's always next year! Then again, there are two little tomato plants coming up out of the compost pile. I may see if I can do something with those. We also still have most of our herbs from the past two years along with a chili plant that's still producing from last year. And there are plenty of flowers that have stuck around!
[Reply]
Mr B 04:26 PM 07-12-2011
Hey guys, what do you do to keep your Cilanto and Italian Parsley from bolting? Mine will always grow for about a month than go straight to bolt.
Any ideas? Right now they are in mostly full sun in my raised bed w/ my other veg.
I have thought about shading them w/ some screen??
[Reply]
jjirons69 05:31 PM 07-12-2011
Hot weather will cause them to bolt. The best thing I can recommend is to pinch the flower stalks before they set blooms.

Still cranking out tomatoes and peppers. Stuffed two dozen jalapenos Sunday night. Absolutely delicious! My gut took a pounding for it. My dad's garden is rolling in watermelons, cantalopes, and pumpkins. Never have planted pumpkins before and these things grow like wildfire.

Heat index in Charleston at 7 p.m. - 109F. The grass could grow knee-high and it wouldn't bother me.
[Reply]
shilala 05:59 PM 07-12-2011
We had our first banana peppers and tomatoes tonight. I had to spray the broccoli with Sevin, there were more cabbage moth worms on the broccoli than I have ever witnessed in my life. That must be the way it is around here?
[Reply]
shilala 10:44 AM 07-13-2011
This was a month ago...

This is now...

Sure is a big difference in a month. Yow!!!
[Reply]
shilala 10:45 AM 07-13-2011
I still haven't put any lettuce in. I oughta do that real soon. It's so hot over there it may be a waste of time, but I suppose it's worth a shot. :-)
[Reply]
Mr B 12:08 PM 07-13-2011
Very nice, clean and organized Scott. Good job!
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 12:33 PM 07-13-2011
I took some pictures a week ago and haven't had time to deal with them. I was just looking at the pictures and could see how much smaller everything was then.
I get about two zukes a day and a couple of other squash too. The snap peas have slowed down a bit, we have a lot of eating to do to catch up. Corn is starting to bloom. Pumpkin is starting to produce female flowers and grow over the fence. I have to keep pruning side shoots off the tomatoes or they would already be gigantic but they are not setting fruit much. The onions are starting to grow bulbs. No peppers yet. The watermellons look feeble even though everything else around them looks great. I think I will try a different variety next year. The musk mellons are just starting to take off. I may put in more carrots cuz I like them and don't think I have enough.
[Reply]
Mr B 12:45 PM 07-13-2011
Lance, sounds like we are on the same track. Been eating Zuks, raddish and lettuce. Tom's finally getting some height and mass but only started producing green tom's a few weeks back during the heat. Now all of a sudden we are in another cold spell. Fog at night that does not burn off til 10-11 am. Highs in the 70's.
I like the cool but the plants sure dont.
[Reply]
jjirons69 01:26 PM 07-13-2011
Cool?? I'd trade with you guys right now. Just copied from Intellicast:

Charleston, SC 29414
97°F
Feels Like: 118°
Wind Chill: 97°
Heat Index: 118°
Dew Point: 81°
Humidity: 60%
Pressure: 29.83"
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 01:52 PM 08-02-2011
Hauling in the stringbeans and loving it. lots of small tomatoes not ripening. First corn should be ready soon. A lot better than last year but still not there yet. We will have to add more compost and other stuff this winter and hope for a warmer spring/summer next year.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 02:12 PM 08-02-2011
My garden is winding down quickly. Have sweet potatoes to dig when I feel like it. Okra just hitting stride, greenbeans still producing every other day. Cucumbers still putting out new fruit. I planted 2 weeks before Good Friday, and pretty much everything made it and I was a good 4-6 weeks ahead of the curve. Have all the peas, butter peas, squash, greenbeans, corn, tomatoes, pickles (cucumbers), onions, red potatoes and peppers I need for the next 12 months already canned or frozen or otherwise stored/processed. Only thing I will be putting up now is okra, and won't need much more to reach the needed level of okra. Veggies that are still producing are being used fresh and/or given away to family and friends. My corn was harvested 6 weeks ago. Thought about planting a second crop, but no where to put end product, and already have more than I will use! Actually plan on plowing all but okra under this weekend. And then, getting efforts underway to take part of the garden area into a herb garden, and another section into an asparagus bed. Will definitely go for a raised bed for these projects. Plan on planting some greens and other cool weather crops in coming weeks.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 17
« First < 3111213 1415 > Last »
Up